Underrated Characters:

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Nightwing. This man is my favorite character in the DC Universe. I like him even more than Batman. Crazy right? Personally I tend to favor not the main character in a story, but side characters. Daryl Dixon from the Walking Dead another example. So in my last discussion I asked about Batman and Superman and who was better. A couple of folks saying either, pointed out characters like Blue Beetle, a guy I've never heard of. My question is, who are some characters you think never get enough limelight. Whether it be DC, Marvel, Anime, and who should I check out.

Q.
I mean, it's used so often in the English language, but no one appreciates it.
Think about it! Qatar. Quaint. Quidditch. Liquidity. All these words have Qs in it, but we don't appreciate their value!
I demand equal rights for Q!

well..I think they are releasing another line of action figures for mass effect, including miranda and Garrus

but I wish they would just release ALL of them so you can have the entire ME2 crew...like Samara, she's often forgotten about

Vault101:
well..I think they are releasing another line of action figures for mass effect, including miranda and Garrus

but I wish they would just release ALL of them so you can have the entire ME2 crew...like Samara, she's often forgotten about

This, while she might not be my personal favorite as far as Mass Effect characters go (Sorry, Garrus is still number one) she is a stellar character who doesn't get enough love, She is one of the few characters who truly intrigues me in 2.

Prior to meeting Samara, our understanding of Asari culture came from Liara, the shy, demure bookworm scientist who was more comfortable alone in a lab than talking with even a close crewmate. That all gets tossed upside down when you meet Samara, she is the exact opposite of everything Liara is, and offers a completely different viewpoint on the life of an Asari. -ahem- well, I went off on a tangent again, but still, I hope we get to see more of Samara in Mass Effect 3, and hopefully not as just a one shot cameo like your entire original crew was in 2.

Valanthe:

Vault101:

This, while she might not be my personal favorite as far as Mass Effect characters go (Sorry, Garrus is still number one) she is a stellar character who doesn't get enough love, She is one of the few characters who truly intrigues me in 2.

Ive always seen her as a sort of deconsctruction of the superhero (and not just because of her outfit, though thats part of it)

I guess because you take somone who follows the logical extreme, as in unwavering folowing of justic and unable to see anything other than black and white

you stick them in that world and what do you get? all kinds of problems, like the debarcle on Illum and people shtting their pants that the justacar is going to come and kill them, not to mention the political shitstorm if you get other races involved

but yeah, I think she gets overlooked the most,

Cable, I can't really explain why I like him so I'll quote two people more eloquent than myself.

No irony colors my words when I say that I really do like Cable. I couldn't tell you why. I should hate him. He represents the 90's perfectly, the giant guns, non-Euclidean anatomy, nigh incomprehensible origin and plots. But it's all that stuff that I really like about him. Like it's all done on purpose. I say the giant guns are silly: SO?? THEY'RE GIANT GUNS. IT'S AWESOME. Awful anatomy? HOW ELSE IS HE GOING TO CARRY THE GIANT GUNS, I ASK YOU! Nonsensical timelines? I CALL IT LAYERED BACKSTORY, CHUM
-Curt Franklin

It's only taken me 20 years to come around to this line of thinking, but I now understand why Cable has stuck around for so long, while so many other characters have slipped into obscurity.

Cable is Han Solo meets the Terminator meets every character R. Lee Ermey has ever played. He's the tough guy, no-nonsense leader with a secret past. He has come from the future (with crazy tech) to save the present. He's the militant mutant that Professor X could never be. If Professor X is MLK and Magneto is Malcom X, Cable is a sci-fi Chuck Norris with a plan.
-Tim Callahan

Jacob and Ashely from Mass Effect. They are both pretty deep, likeable, and (in Ashely's case) believably flawed characters who unfortunately get completely overlooked because they aren't fan bait or alien.

Tidus from Final Fantasy X. The guy is a brilliant take on the idea of noble self-sacrifice, and it's also refreshing to see a JRPG protagonist who, for the most part, is a pretty open and cheerful guy. He doesn't play up trying to be a stoic or badass, nor do they try to make him "cool". But for some reason, many FF fans just don't seem to like him. Inherent bias against a "jock" character, perhaps?

Doctor Strange. The guy has got connections to nearly every major hero organization in the Marvel-verse, and power coming out the wazoo, but he very rarely actually DOES anything. I know non-interference is part of the deal and being the Sorcerer Supreme is something of a full-time job, but really, the guy is basically unknown in the public consciousness precisely because he's never given the chance to shine.

Reaver from Fable 2 and 3. Get's a lot of hate for killing likable characters and generally being an asshat to the PC and those around him. But really, how do you think the PC comes across to everyone else when you are being evil? It's actually pretty clever, and nice to see the idea that "Not all Heroes are heroic" put into practice outside of your own actions.

Sofia Lamb from Bioshock 2. She was a MUCH more effective villain than either Ryan or Fontaine.

Cable is cool man. He does have a crazy back story, but he just works. His outfit, the take no prisoners kind of attitude. Cable is the man!

Faramir from LOTR. They undercut his integrity in the Movies too, one thing that Jackson did bad imo.

Ordinaryundone:
Jacob and Ashely from Mass Effect. They are both pretty deep, likeable, and (in Ashely's case) believably flawed characters who unfortunately get completely overlooked because they aren't fan bait or alien.

I agree about ahsley (or more to the point I think she's misunderstod..hell first time I kind of ignored Tali and talked to her more) same with Miranda..

but Jacob....

Ive played ME2 time and time again, and after all that..It's still "yeah..Im Jcob, used to be aliance but I joined cerberus because they get shit DONE!...Im kind of a nice guy, oh and my dad was distant but Im totally over that so its all good"

seriously..thats all I get from him, I'd be interested to hear your take on it

Tidus from FFX. Everybody hated on him, but he was soooo JRPG - pointy hair, silly clothes, gloves, big blue eyes, pale skin, whiny broody voice and maturing personality. What's not to love for a JRPG protag?

smearyllama:
Q.
Think about it! Qatar. Quaint. Quidditch. Liquidity. All these words have Qs in it, but we don't appreciate their value!

Funny, I just watched an episode of Voyager today where Q left his son Q to learn from Janeway in preparation for an exam, or he gets turned into a single celled organism. Quite funny whenever Q starts dicking around with Starfleet.

Oh wait, you were talking about letters.

Amarant from final fantasy IX although it is kind of square's fault for not giving him much backstory.

smearyllama:
Q.

Once John De Lancie claimed it for his own, the rest of the universe went "Fuck it" and moved on to greener pastures.

I forgot to mention

Cass from Fallout New vegas..granted Im not enitly sure which are the more popular ones (Im guess veronica)

but I like Cass, she has alot to say and is responisble for my favorite "needlessly crude" line ever

"the NCR tries to put their stake in everything, and no one's dick is that long. Not even Long Dick Jhonson...and he had a fucking long dick"
-Sharon of Rose Cassidy

Uhh, maybe a little off topic but I have a feeling that the Bad Guy from FarCry 3 is gonna be a winner.

He looks interesting. And insane.

As a male who likes Hetalia (we exist!), I have to say Ukraine is not given enough screen time. She is such a charming character that I would like to see more of her. Liechtenstein and Switzerland are a cute pair who deserve more. I also would like to see Netherlands smoke a joint (though the bong would be funnier). Too bad the show is not running anymore.

The Horses in chess.
Everyone undervaluates them but they're so awesome.
Striking from the most strange places EVAH!!1!!!

I don't know why, but red 13 (nanaki) from ff7. usopp from one piece and armstrong from fullmetal alchemist

Guffe:
The Horses in chess.
Everyone undervaluates them but they're so awesome.
Striking from the most strange places EVAH!!1!!!

Bishop from chess. Really good backup for cornering others

Ordinaryundone:

Reaver from Fable 2 and 3. Get's a lot of hate for killing likable characters and generally being an asshat to the PC and those around him. But really, how do you think the PC comes across to everyone else when you are being evil? It's actually pretty clever, and nice to see the idea that "Not all Heroes are heroic" put into practice outside of your own actions.

I loved Reaver, he was such a great character. It was ironic to see how the public viewed an evil character, and as you said it made you think about how the public views the PC when the protagonist is evil

My vote goes to Reaver!

Viola and Leo from Zone of the Enders. But then again Z.O.E. was an underrated game itself. Viola was the game's villain, she wanted to kill the little boy Leo, the main character of the game with a big passion. Not sure about her motives. What made me an impression was the fact that the little boy had developed a relationship of fear and hidden admiration/affection towards his Nemesis, Leo actually never wished to harm Viola, even though he knew her intentions, which all lead to a very touching finale.

Vault101:
but Jacob....

Ive played ME2 time and time again, and after all that..It's still "yeah..Im Jcob, used to be aliance but I joined cerberus because they get shit DONE!...Im kind of a nice guy, oh and my dad was distant but Im totally over that so its all good"

seriously..thats all I get from him, I'd be interested to hear your take on it

Well, I like him mostly because of what he represents. Jacob is one of the few "good/Paragon" leaning characters that doesn't support the Alliance, but also doesn't really agree with Cerberus. He's just a good guy who wants to get stuff done but has been forced to choose the greater of two evils to do so. And he does it without playing up the "bad cop" persona like Garrus. He's a good template for why a Paragon Shepard would choose to ally themselves with Cerberus in ME2. And, again, it's nice to see a Paragon human character who isn't allied with or supports the Citadel OR the Alliance. They've already got Anderson, Hackett, Ashely, Kaiden, Udina (kinda...), and even Shepard most of the time. It's nice getting an alternate perspective that isn't colored by an obviously Renegade disposition like The Illusive Man.

Also, his loyalty mission was somewhat unique in that there weren't any shades of grey, which was nice in the Grimdark leaning ME2. You land on that planet expecting there to be some big moral delimma, but nope. Jacob's dad is a complete asshole and deserves his fate. You just have to help him decide whether he wants to keep being the "Good guy in bad circumstances" or let him give in to his surroundings. Thats why Jacob is "over" his dad. They make it very clear that it's not a matter of revenge or closure for him.

I don't know why but I have a soft spots for the Marvel villian turned superheroes Songbird and Mach 6.
Sure they have their own comic (Thunderbolts) and had their own story during those story arc (Dark Reign, Seige and Fear itself etc) but I think they are still minor characters compared to the likes of Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor etc.

I may be in the minority here, but I really liked Roman from GTA IV. Yes, he was annoying. Yes, all he did was complain about things and spend your hard earned money to build up his gambling debts. Still, he was a genuinely sympathetic and insecure character. You could see it in his failing business, his shitty apartment, and his dependent relationship with Brucie. Niko coming to America was probably the best thing that happened to him (at first) since he had first got off the boat. Sure, in the end he gets together with the girl and rebuilds a successful cab company indirectly thanks to Niko, but between that he gets shot, beaten, kidnapped, burned out of his job and home, and pulled into gang wars because of him. Through it all you can see him grow up from whatever mentally regressed baby state you found him in, to the point where's he genuinely horrified by how much of a fucking psycho Niko is. And despite this, he still has the balls to go out of his way to try and show Niko that life in America isn't as bad as it's made out to be and steer him away from the path of revenge and self destruction.

My top two favorite characters Impluse back in the Young Justice days my first comic I ever collected and Morph from the Age of Apocolypse. Both were comic relief I know but I always felt that deep inside they were hurting and alone. Morph from Exiles you get to see some of the strife but also the way that even though they were not the most powerful of the group they did more self sacraficing then anyone else did.

I personally like Goregutz 'Eaduhunta.
Some might think of him as a coward, as he has run off when he loses in every game hes been in, but with one of the Ork's mottos, he's a winner waiting to happen.

Ork motto: Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!

Joshua Graham. Best character ever.

Keith Szarabajka has the best voice ever. Period. I was thoroughly disappointed he didn't voice any major character in Skyrim. Although maybe it's for the best that he didn't voice one of Bethesda's sloppily writed characters.

I think Repede from Tales of Vesperia is underappreicated. He is a DOG with a PIPE. You cannot get more badass than that.

One of my other favorite characters is also one of the most classically underrated. Luigi. I've always liked him better than Mario, just like I like Daisy better than I like Peach. Mario and Peach are the golden couple, though. Peach is always in another castle, and Mario's always the one who's going to save her.

The Consequence:
Nightwing. This man is my favorite character in the DC Universe. I like him even more than Batman. Crazy right?

Not crazy at all. You're right on the mark with Nightwing. He's my favorite DC hero of all time.

For underrated comic characters, I'd go with Spoiler. She's one of the most interesting sidekicks out there.

In anime, Usopp from One piece and Hinata and Shino from Naruto. These characters are awesome but are never given anything to do.

Oerba Dia Vanille is one of the most criminally under-appreciated video game characters in history. She is a shockingly intricate, remarkably layered, and disarmingly well-written character who serves as the real focal point of Final Fantasy XIII. People shit on her, though, because she's not a token 'badass' like the substanceless Lightning.

I think we can all agree on Sazh being a pretty cool guy, though.

Oh, also underrated is Duke Nukem. It's not his fault you don't get the joke.

Kreia. Anyone who has played KoTOR II, knows what I'm talking about. One of the most interesting female characters in history, and a subversion fleet for the universe she walks around in.

smearyllama:
Q.

Pfft, Q is just an O with a dick.

Randy Disher from Monk. He's hilarious and even though nothing ever goes his way he stays positive. He's a funny character even though he's not very important.

Vault101:
-Sharon of Rose Cassidy

It's actually Rose of Sharon Cassidy.

Vanille from Final Fantasy 13. She is just so awesome!

I mean, she has a staff that shoots razor wire, what's not to love?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked