Underrated Characters:

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Ordinaryundone:
Jacob and Ashely from Mass Effect. They are both pretty deep, likeable, and (in Ashely's case) believably flawed characters who unfortunately get completely overlooked because they aren't fan bait or alien.

Ashley, okay, I always appreciated her unexpectedly blunt intolerant comments as a part of characterization, but Jacob is just a filler, someone who does his "job" without attracting much attention, but who also has a little tidbit of "deep feelings" if you care for it...

Lyvric:

Guffe:
The Horses in chess.
Everyone undervaluates them but they're so awesome.
Striking from the most strange places EVAH!!1!!!

Bishop from chess. Really good backup for cornering others

I see your Horse and Bishop and raise you a Pawn.
They may only be able to move forward two spaces at the start of the game and one for the rest, but that small blockade at the front lines takes all the hits first. And each one have the potential to turn into queens and flip the game.

woodaba:
Kreia. Anyone who has played KoTOR II, knows what I'm talking about. One of the most interesting female characters in history, and a subversion fleet for the universe she walks around in.

She was definitely an interesting character but I found that the Handmaiden and HK47 were better to learn about and talk to. Though that twist at the end was kinda clever.

Probably Flash Thompson. Dude got wounded in Afghanistan and became venom. He was the better spiderman 'cause he was humble with his new look on life!

Rheinmetall:
Viola and Leo from Zone of the Enders. But then again Z.O.E. was an underrated game itself. Viola was the game's villain, she wanted to kill the little boy Leo, the main character of the game with a big passion. Not sure about her motives. What made me an impression was the fact that the little boy had developed a relationship of fear and hidden admiration/affection towards his Nemesis, Leo actually never wished to harm Viola, even though he knew her intentions, which all lead to a very touching finale.

Her motives are better explained in that OVA that released along with the first game... Her motives in the beginning of the game are her mission of capturing Jehuty, after that her massive survivor guilt (as explained in the OVA) kicks in and she see in Leo a rival that could have the skill to end her suffering (life), point that she could have killed Leo but prefed to shot his girlfriend instead making him angry enough to persue after her.(By that point Leo had finished "his" mission and has going to back out of all of it.)

Ordinaryundone:
Jacob and Ashely from Mass Effect. They are both pretty deep, likeable, and (in Ashely's case) believably flawed characters who unfortunately get completely overlooked because they aren't fan bait or alien.

My thoughts exactly. I am slightly saddened by how it looks like Bioware took Ashley in ME 3, but we'll see what happens on the 6th (Because I'm buying it on launch regardless, like the good little mindslave I am).

Not enough love for Jolee from KotOR. He's a cool old dude who has his funny moments, he's got hidden wisdom, he's caring, and he really warms up to (Light-side) you. Plus, you can saddle him with whatever powers you want without any sort of cost penalty due to his Consular class and neutral alignment.

I am surprise no one said Luigi from the Super Mario Bros series.
Always overshadowed by his brother, almost never has a self titled game (yes I am aware of Luigi's Mansion).

And almost no one picks Luigi in many multiplayer games

Hell on 2 player mode, everyone fights to be Player 1 (Mario) on the Original Super Mario bros on the NES

TizzytheTormentor:
Amarant from final fantasy IX although it is kind of square's fault for not giving him much backstory.

Well... He did have that one moment where he shares his past with Freya Crescent... At least, if you chose to view all the ATEs. Besides, not knowing much about a man's past can really help to make a character more interesting (to steal an example from the nostalgia critic: the Tim Burton Batman was the best Batman, while the Christopher Nolan Joker was the best Joker.)

Incidentally, for this topic, I'm going with Freya Crescent. Truly one of the strongest female characters I've ever seen - and that without over-sexualizing the character (she's an anthropomorphic rat!). Well, her and Beatrix.

Arcade Gannon. He's like Neil Patrick Harris...only less badass...and with a cool laser gun.

For D.C. comics, I'd go with The Question. Saw him on the old Justice League show from a few years back, and the guy is just cool in a weird way. Zatanna, too, for heroines.

In videogames, I'd go with Balthier & Fran. Balthier and Fran from Final Fantasy 12 had style and deserve their own game.

Lyvric:

Guffe:
The Horses in chess.
Everyone undervaluates them but they're so awesome.
Striking from the most strange places EVAH!!1!!!

Bishop from chess. Really good backup for cornering others

Yeah, especially those vulnerable corner rooks, in a blitz game those things drop like flies to bishops!My old coach and I did a little exercise using first knights and then bishops, I play twice as well with those long-range sneaky bastards :D

And Darth Maul, he is too awesome and his death was FAR too contrived and stupid.

The Consequence:
Nightwing. This man is my favorite character in the DC Universe. I like him even more than Batman. Crazy right? Personally I tend to favor not the main character in a story, but side characters. Daryl Dixon from the Walking Dead another example. So in my last discussion I asked about Batman and Superman and who was better. A couple of folks saying either, pointed out characters like Blue Beetle, a guy I've never heard of. My question is, who are some characters you think never get enough limelight. Whether it be DC, Marvel, Anime, and who should I check out.

Spawn would be my answer, but also I would choose...

darksakul:
I am surprise no one said Luigi from the Super Mario Bros series.
Always overshadowed by his brother, almost never has a self titled game (yes I am aware of Luigi's Mansion).

And almost no one picks Luigi in many multiplayer games

Hell on 2 player mode, everyone fights to be Player 1 (Mario) on the Original Super Mario bros on the NES

I know that me and my brothers all fought over who was going to be Mario because he always went first, I think that was the only reason anyone wanted to be Mario.

Archer from Fate/Stay Night.
The visual novel itself deserved a longer series to follow it, but even then the series di well for only being 25 episodes.
Either way the character's badass and I don't think anyone could change my opinion of him.

Vault101:

but Jacob....

Ive played ME2 time and time again, and after all that..It's still "yeah..Im Jcob, used to be aliance but I joined cerberus because they get shit DONE!...Im kind of a nice guy, oh and my dad was distant but Im totally over that so its all good"

seriously..thats all I get from him, I'd be interested to hear your take on it

His Dossier in Lair of the Shadow Broker sheds some interesting light on that. And I quote: "Despite solid service history, clearly placed on Shepard's team primarily for stabilizing elements of personality." And let's face it, out of all the party members he's the one with the least emotional baggage. He knows who he is, he's dedicated to the mission, he's come to terms with his past (or at least he thinks he has), and that's the point he's intended (in-universe) as a guaranteed pillar of support you if you need it.

Dedtoo:
I personally like Goregutz 'Eaduhunta.
Some might think of him as a coward, as he has run off when he loses in every game hes been in, but with one of the Ork's mottos, he's a winner waiting to happen.

Ork motto: Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!

Gorgutz underated? I frigging loved that guy. In DC he completely owns when all the more intellgent characters try to insult him.

Vanilla_Druid:
As a male who likes Hetalia (we exist!), /snip\

We DO exist! You me and the other 3 guys I know...

...and because I went off on an Anime-Tangent, I'm gonna have to say Konata's Dad from Lucky Star, Sojiro Izumi...

He's only really brought up a couple of times in the series and I think he deserves so much more! He always was my favourite character...

Vault101:
well..I think they are releasing another line of action figures for mass effect, including miranda and Garrus

but I wish they would just release ALL of them so you can have the entire ME2 crew...like Samara, she's often forgotten about

Why Miranda? Why not ANYONE else? They need to stop pushing human characters into the story.
I guess Philip from Penumbra. And Daniel from Amnesia.
WAIT DAYUM DARM SACOND! I also count Corporal Adrian Shepard from Opposing Force.

Captain Kirrahe from Mass Effect. He had a bit part, and he's always overlooked, but he HELD THE LINE!

Gottesstrafe:
-snip-

I agree with you, I also think Roman was a well written flawed character, even if he is a little annoying.

I think that Sev from Star Wars: Republic Commando is a great underrated character from a GREAT underrated game. Sev sacrifices his life for his squad, and doesn't even get any recognition, because he is supposedly a clone that is not even considered a human.

Kida I guess. I mean he had the whole heroic flaw thing, and I thought that was pretty tight. And it was pretty cool how he went after the dude who took over his old gang. He just let his past take over his life till the point he's ready to die over it. His shame and guilt rule over him and the main villain uses that to manipulate the guy.

Also, Blacula. srsly. I wish I could remember more but he was actually a conflicted character rather than a shallow parody or mustache twirling villain.

Shit there's some others. It'll come to me

smearyllama:
Q.
I mean, it's used so often in the English language, but no one appreciates it.
Think about it! Qatar. Quaint. Quidditch. Liquidity. All these words have Qs in it, but we don't appreciate their value!
I demand equal rights for Q!

Well yeah, but I think that he is quite pop- *rereads your post*

huh, I guess your right. not much use for that letter, its so underrepresented!

OT: To the others who said Jacob from ME2, I agree with you on that one. It seems like of my friends, I'm the only one that doesn't out right hate him.

woodaba:
Kreia. Anyone who has played KoTOR II, knows what I'm talking about. One of the most interesting female characters in history, and a subversion fleet for the universe she walks around in.

You drunk? Kreia is not only the best goddamn character in the game but possibly of the entire Star Wars franchise...

Diablo2000:

woodaba:

You drunk? Kreia is not only the best goddamn character in the game but possibly of the entire Star Wars franchise...

i second this statement.

OT; George Stobbart from broken sword, he was just a funny likeable guy compare to all the angry and angsty character it was good to have just a top lad as the main character.

TheScientificIssole:

Vault101:
well..I think they are releasing another line of action figures for mass effect, including miranda and Garrus

but I wish they would just release ALL of them so you can have the entire ME2 crew...like Samara, she's often forgotten about

Why Miranda? Why not ANYONE else? They need to stop pushing human characters into the story.
WAIT DAYUM DARM SACOND! I also count Corporal Adrian Shepard from Opposing Force.

Dunno, that's kind of the problem. It shouldn't matter what species they are, just the writing. Miranda could be an Asari and I'd still like her and everyone else would still hate her. If Garrus was human, I'd still love him. He wouldn't have that Turian awesome factor, but still, it takes more than the awesome factor to make a good character.

LordFisheh:

TheScientificIssole:

Vault101:

Dunno, that's kind of the problem. It shouldn't matter what species they are, just the writing. Miranda could be an Asari and I'd still like her and everyone else would still hate her. If Garrus was human, I'd still love him. He wouldn't have that Turian awesome factor, but still, it takes more than the awesome factor to make a good character.

The thing is that the large threatening Krogan trying to fight his nature for the good of his his species, will always be better than the perfect human character.

Agree with lots of people in this post.
Despite her annoying voice, definitely Vanille.
Amarant and Freya from FFIX.
Balthier from FFXII is just God like. I loved him and I love his voice, I follow what games he's in closely (Fenris from DA2!)

Now I'm done with the FF fangirlism I'll also agree on George Stobbart. He has to be one of the best video game characters in history. He's just so real and funny, always makes me smile to replay the Broken Sword series.

wolf thing:

Diablo2000:

woodaba:

i second this statement.

Thirded. Or fourthed. Anyway, Kreia is excellent, just as KotOR 2 is excellent. The first one is a big old adventure in the style that Bioware do so well, but Obsidian are way ahead of them when it comes to inventive stories and characters (just not QA, unfortunately). Star Wars is almost always about clear-cut good and evil, but KotOR 2, with Kreia at the forefront, manages to subvert that whilst still being a clear Star Wars story.

Asita:

Vault101:

but Jacob....

Ive played ME2 time and time again, and after all that..It's still "yeah..Im Jcob, used to be aliance but I joined cerberus because they get shit DONE!...Im kind of a nice guy, oh and my dad was distant but Im totally over that so its all good"

seriously..thats all I get from him, I'd be interested to hear your take on it

His Dossier in Lair of the Shadow Broker sheds some interesting light on that. And I quote: "Despite solid service history, clearly placed on Shepard's team primarily for stabilizing elements of personality." And let's face it, out of all the party members he's the one with the least emotional baggage. He knows who he is, he's dedicated to the mission, he's come to terms with his past (or at least he thinks he has), and that's the point he's intended (in-universe) as a guaranteed pillar of support you if you need it.

This is exactly why I liked him so much. He was the only normal person on the boat apart from Joker, and so many people hate him for being bland when that is his point. To be normal.

Personally, I took him and Garrus on absolutely every mission for the game. Once you get Pull Field, Jacob eviscerates everything.

Kula, The king of fighters. Everybody i know uses Kim, Billy, Clark, Iori, Athena but only I use Kula.

smearyllama:
Q.
I mean, it's used so often in the English language, but no one appreciates it.
Think about it! Qatar. Quaint. Quidditch. Liquidity. All these words have Qs in it, but we don't appreciate their value!
I demand equal rights for Q!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Street_Fighter)#Q

Only if he was a better fighter

everyone has at least one mass effect 2 character they dont like and i'd say that their all very good, deep, well done characters especially for a video game they all evolve over the course of the plot and this change varies depending on shepards conversation with them and although some of them seem shallow at first (like iranda/jacob) thats just because they dont know shepard yet and dont want to blab their life stories and opinions to him/her (allot like people) and its better than Me1's way were characters spoke way to much

that said i hate jack seriously fuck jack she's just a mad phycopathic crazy bitch who really needs to put some more clothes on and stop mouthing of to shepard before she takes a biotic charge to the face, i dont even need her she's never coming with me on any mission's and you dont need her on the final mission (except maybe as a meatshield) why cant i blow her ass out the air lock after the millionth time she threatened to kill/destroy someone or something i like!

Not so much underrated as overly hated. Hope from FFXIII. Go ahead and hate me, his mom died like a week ago.

BrotherSurplice:

Dedtoo:
I personally like Goregutz 'Eaduhunta.
Some might think of him as a coward, as he has run off when he loses in every game hes been in, but with one of the Ork's mottos, he's a winner waiting to happen.

Ork motto: Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!

Gorgutz underated? I frigging loved that guy. In DC he completely owns when all the more intellgent characters try to insult him.

He is basically my favorite character. In any game. That i can think of at the moment at least.

Atton Rand (KotORII)

Everyone always talks about HK-47 or Darth Traya, but I think Atton is the most interesting of the jedi exiles companions. Think about it he used to hunt and kill jedi, he plays pazzak in his head to stop Traya from reading his thoughts and he has cool one liners!

Oh yeah, Augustus Hill and uh Dino Ortilani I guess.

Though I mean the narrator Augustus Hill. He was such a ham though. I just really liked the monologues. Some good quotes and info about prisons in them. I also liked it when other characters started doing similar monologues. Particularly the ones by Antonio Nappa and Schillinger's sons.

EDIT: Admittedly they were very hit and miss still.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked