Worst. Ending. Ever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

xSKULLY:
the lord of the rings movie

Most people who didn't like it claim they hated the multiple endings. Though, I don't see how anybody could have thought anything but Sam returning home was the final scene.

Revenge of the Sith.

xSKULLY:
the lord of the rings movie

I'm going to assume you're referring to the Fellowship and not the other two.

The Blair Witch 2. Yes the entire movie was awful but the ending was just a rotten cherry on the sh*t sundae. Same with Exorcist 2.

Also the ending to Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM). Cliffhanger ending to a good series and it gets cancelled.

If we're talking about games though... WET.

When She Woke was this novel with a futuristic Scarlet Letter thing going on, and it kept building up to an interesting finale, then it took a lame and safe and happy ending, all the way to the point where it made everything that happened to the main character worthless. If it had just been a happy ending, fine, whatever. lame, safe endings happen sometimes.
But to just make your entire book a waste of time, wasting the premise, the world, and all the hardships we've read all that time pointless...

Just fuck you, book.

Bioshock. Yes, you kill the roided-up Fontiane, and yes, you save all the Little Sisters, but come on. A short cutscene with Tenenbaum monologue-ing over it? That's all you get? And the monologue wasn't very good either. Of all the possible motivations she could have decided you were fighting for, she chose family? Not, you know, surviving or revenge or something?

Probably the Departed, I felt like I had been slapped in the face.

Vault101:
Red Dead Redemption

no, seriously fuck that game

fuck that game for ripping out my heart and stomping on while sadistically yelling at me and telling my all my hopes and dreams are doomed to fail while punhing me in the face and making me cry

fuck that game

Are you high? That was one of the best endings I've ever seen. It tickles that nihilism center of the brain in JUST the right spot.

twohundredpercent:

JoesshittyOs:

So instead of giving a satisfying ending to a good movie, they gave a shit ending to a good movie. Wow! That completely shattered my expectations! Genius!

I fail to see where only a happy ending can be a good ending. It doesn't need to be sunshine and daisies to be satisfactory. It was a gritty ending grounded in reality. It was never trying to make you feel good. Try telling a fan of Oldboy that the ending sucked, see what kind of look you'll get.

Not to mention it was pretty much the same ending as a the book.

SINS CREED 2!!!

"HEY YOU, YOU FOUGHT THE POPE!"

Elamdri:

Vault101:
Red Dead Redemption

fuck that game for ripping out my heart and stomping on while sadistically yelling at me and telling my all my hopes and dreams are doomed to fail while punhing me in the face and making me cry

fuck that game

Are you high? That was one of the best endings I've ever seen. It tickles that nihilism center of the brain in JUST the right spot.

yeah....but that doesnt mean I can't curse it for making me depressed!

your hands upon..
a dead mans gun..and your..
....looking down the sights
your heart is worn, the seams a torn..and they've..
...given you a reason to fight

ahhh no! *sob* make it stop!....

erttheking:
Probably the Departed, I felt like I had been slapped in the face.

I'd agree with that. I understand irony, but they way Scorsese handled the ending really just felt like laziness. It seemed like he really didn't care how much it made sense.

Dragon Age 2, I will *not* be buying the third game in the series, or any other BioWare game after ME3.

Honorable mention: System Shock 2, the endgame quality nosedove and the game threw out all plausibility for some BS about warp drives replacing reality with virtual reality simulations or somesuch nonesense. At least Looking Glass had losing their original endgame data in a fire and having to hammer out a new ending in a matter of weeks to meet deadlines as an excuse.

Vault101:

Elamdri:

Vault101:
Red Dead Redemption

fuck that game

yeah....but that doesnt mean I can't curse it for making me depressed!

your hands upon..
a dead mans gun..and your..
....looking down the sights
your heart is worn, the seams a torn..and they've..
...given you a reason to fight

ahhh no! *sob* make it stop!....

hahaha, I have that song on my iPod. One day I was listening to my playlist on shuffle and that song came on followed immediately by Johnny Cash's rendition of "Hurt." I was crying the manliest tears ever.

If you liked the book its legitimate to dislike the Lord of the rings movie ending i mean specifically how the ring was destroyed. I fully understand why they changed it and agree the modern audience just wouldn't of accepted the book ending but it does leave a very sour taste as it is sort of diametrically opposed to the moral in the book .

for me i think possibly source code , fight club has to have an honourable mention but thats more of the worst act 3 than ending. completely alien to the book and totally offensive to the subject.

and all those ending that are clearly nothing but sequel bait far too many to mention but i just played through the darkness 2 so its fresh in my mind

I have to really think about this one...

Game: Toss up between Halo 2 and Gears of War 3. One was a cliff hanger, the other ended really abruptly and felt like it tied all the loose ends together in a rushed manner.

Movie: Revenge of the Sith.

TV Show: The Sorpanos, Seriously, fade to black in the middle of a sen-

Special mentions: Bioshock for its lack of grey area ending.

Note: These are only from what I can remember off the top of my head, this may very well change if I think of anything else.

I'm a big fan of the anime Darker than Black and I really liked the ending of the original series but the second part (Gemini of the Meteor) had a pretty terrible ending.

JoesshittyOs:

I fail to see where only a happy ending can be a good ending. It doesn't need to be sunshine and daisies to be satisfactory. It was a gritty ending grounded in reality. It was never trying to make you feel good. Try telling a fan of Oldboy that the ending sucked, see what kind of look you'll get.

I didn't say happy. I said satisfactory. You can have a sad ending that still satisfies the audience. You can have a happy ending that leaves the audience feeling unsatisfied.

I never saw Oldboy. I'm talking about this movie, not once did I mention Oldboy.

Now, following the book, that's fine, whatever. Maybe the book presented it better. I don't know. But I'm not talking about that either, so that also doesn't matter.

Vault101:
Red Dead Redemption

fuck that game

You do realize that there are two endings, don't you ? look for the question mark in blackwater after you finish off dutch...

Matthew94:
No country for old men

Was a decent action/thriller movie until the very end when it wraps up the plot in about 3 minutes then puts in some philosophical bullshit in order to justify it.

In the book, the "philosophical bullshit" is much more closely woven into the narrative than it was in the movie. In the film it's mostly thrown in as an afterthought, but in the book it's really the focus of the whole thing (rather than the focus being on the action).

Elephant by The White Stripes. Yes, a non narrative example. Seriously "It's True That We Love One Another"? Fuck it. Fuck it to hell. A serious dark spot on my favorite White Stripes LP.

Game: Borderlands. Man, that was a huge let-down.

Movie: Revamped Return of the Jedi. He died a good guy, why put Hayden Christianson in there?

Book: Can't remember a book with a bad ending. Maybe I should be as careful in my game and movie selection as I am with my reading material :)

twohundredpercent:

JoesshittyOs:

I didn't say happy. I said satisfactory. You can have a sad ending that still satisfies the audience. You can have a happy ending that leaves the audience feeling unsatisfied.

I never saw Oldboy. I'm talking about this movie, not once did I mention Oldboy.

Now, following the book, that's fine, whatever. Maybe the book presented it better. I don't know. But I'm not talking about that either, so that also doesn't matter.

Read the second sentence, you know if you read it at all...

Gizmo1990:
What has been the most dissapointing ending toa game/book/film to you? For me:

Game: Final Fantasy X-

Movie: The Matrix Revolutions.

Book: I cannot think of a book I read that had a bad ending but I hated the ending to the last Codex Alera book, First Lord's Fury for one reason. It was the last in the series. And it was soooo good that I wanted more.

Edit: Fixed spoilers so people will not bitch about me revealing the ending to a 12 year old game and a 10 year old movie.

I actually really liked FFX's ending. Showed SE really had some balls to have such a depressing ending. Of course they pussyed out with X-2 and brought Tidus back.

twohundredpercent:

JoesshittyOs:

Than I'm confused as to why it seems unappealing to you. I guess if you were bummed out about it's presentation, that's understandable, but the way it did present the ending was why it was so haunting to me. The cinematography, the closing dialogue, the way they left the wife's death a cliffhanger. It was all so straightforward with no restrictions. It was vicious. It was evil. It was unsettling. Hell, it even explained the title in the closing monologue.

By the way you're leading it on, I can only see a "satisfying" ending to you as being the good guys win. It would have been acceptable, but without the main character dying, there wouldn't have been that message and overall theme of the darkness of man to close it out. In a way, the story would have meant nothing without it. Just another action movie.

And I'm aware you never mentioned Oldboy. I was merely using that as an example, as they are sort of related here.

Did anyone say Final Fantasy VII, yet? Cause if not, you've got to be joking as it's arguably even worse than the depressingly unsatisfying ending of Final Fantasy X because it -

And all because the two guys who made the game either can't finish a story to save their lives or they ALWAYS had intended to go back and financially milk the cow ala Star Wars and LucasArts. What happened to the days when we had epic endings like Final Fantasy VI, that were like half an hour long? THAT was a satisfying ending. Mind you, there's a lot of things about FFVII (and the guys who made it) that tend to piss me off for a number of reasons, but that's unrelated to the topic at hand.

Next up..

While not the worst ending ever, I'd also say that the ending of Spirited Away was entirely unexpected for a Miyazaki film and extremely brief. It was like they'd run out of ideas or time to make a better ending.

And finally...

Ocarina of Time, oh my gods, what the HELL is this? How can anyone actually justify the way this game ended, especially seeing how much better they handled Majora's Mask's ending, the ending of every Zelda game afterwards, even the ending of Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, and Link to the Past had a more satisfying ending.

I don't have any idea why they thought that'd be acceptable. Even Mario 64 and Starfox 64 had more competent endings. Certainly nothing character breaking or that raised a ton of questions.

EDIT: Cause someone brought it up... I prefer happy endings cause I have enough to be depressed about just reading the news, paying the bills, etc. I don't need downer endings, Gainax endings, and "we'll have to wait for a sequel that never comes" endings. The later two are just signs of bad writing, but the downer ending.. depending on the ending itself and why it's somewhat sad, it can be a good or a bad downer ending.

The end of Hellboy 2 was rather sad, but it still managed to be a good ending. Pity it also hinted at a sequel we would never get, but it was still a bit of a downer On the other hand you have the Fatal Fury movie, which followed an almost identical plot, also ended in a much more depressing way. That was a bad downer ending.

Then again, I think any movie where they play you along and then "oops, killed the cutie" at the end is a crap movie and not worth my time. I guess it's cause the added depression just tends to piss me off. I don't mind somewhat ambiguous endings that make you think, but when there's nothing to fill in the gaps with it is a lot less appealing. Like what I said about FF7 and OoT.

Jezzascmezza:
Borderlands.

You spend the entire campaign travelling to this vault that's supposed to have all this amazing treasure inside it.
And what do you find when you finally get there?
Nothing.

Yup. Pissed off me and a friend of mine to no end. We both enjoyed everything up to that point, but we both haven't touched the game since due to the ending. I felt so cheated.

RAGE
the games title explained my emotions for its ending
and there was no boss fight either! WTF!?

schwetty balzac:
Fallout 3 had a bad ending? Guffaws abound.

It seems those that adhere to this statement have never played Knights of the Old Republic 2. Fallout 3's slightly weak ending looks like award-winning writing of the highest calibre compared to KotOR 2's drivel.

KotOR 2's ending was bad.
But that was because they ran out of time and had to literally skimp out on the actual ending.
It's not even considered canonical.
Still better than Fallout 3's ending.
I mean, seriously?
A super mutant and a ghoul, both not only able to survive the radiation, they even get healthier by it, and they just arbitrarily refuses, forcing you to die for no good reason. Which is even more of a kick in the balls because there's no warning when you cross the point of no return, so if you save past it, you're going to have to start over from the beginning if you want to keep playing the game.
Bethesda even retconned the ending with DLC later on.

TheKruzdawg:

Jezzascmezza:
Borderlands.

You spend the entire campaign travelling to this vault that's supposed to have all this amazing treasure inside it.
And what do you find when you finally get there?
Nothing.

Yup. Pissed off me and a friend of mine to no end. We both enjoyed everything up to that point, but we both haven't touched the game since due to the ending. I felt so cheated.

Well, it contains a monster that gives a metric fuckton of XP and has a fairly high droprate of loot.
Still, nothing compares to Crawmerax.
Holy shit that thing drops loot.

Nikopol, from the Be Mine Bundle, worst adventure game ever.

Seriously, after having to scour through 5 different guides to solve these fucking overly complicated puzzles and stopping an ancient egiptian god from conquering a dystopian, futuristic Paris (of all places in the wide world), all they could think about as a "proper ending" is a fucking monologue about "rotten flesh" and worms!??, WTF!??

I only payed $1 for the whole bundle and I still feel ripped off by this godawful piece of shit. I need to replay Broken Sword to take out this bad taste out of my mouth.

As for other media, Evangelion is the first thing that comes up to mind. Seriously, W T F. Saint Seiya's Hades saga takes an honorable mention, seriously, one single episode to fight against the god of the fucking underworld!??

For movies, I think I can certainly agree with The Departed, although a great movie, it's ending was... meh.

Huh, looks like I'm one of the few people who absolutely loved the ending to FFX...mostly because I wanted to see Tidus die in hellfire, but thats besides the point, anyways...

I know the OP says film/book/game but I feel it deserves to be said, the last 2 episodes of Seinfeld, such a disappointing ending to such a great show. It wasn't very funny, and it was kind of depressing too

First, books. I was incredibly disappointed by the Cirque du Freak series. The author tried to tie every loose plot hole in all thirteen books in the last one hundred pages. "They're secretly brothers! And this guy's their father! Why? Because I'm the author and fuck you." I had the same problem with the Hunger Games books. The twilight books (I read them so I could accurately insult the people that also read them) were very anticlimactic as well. Not to mention everything else was shit.
Next, movies. No Country for Old Men felt like the ending was supposed to be meaningful, but it was too vague and uninteresting to piece together. Gran Torino's ending just felt insulting to Clint Eastwood. He's motherfucking Clint Eastwood! He can't die! What the hell?
Games? I finish every RPG game I play (no matter how shitty it is), and so if the game is crap I don't expect much from the ending. Non-RPG's I don't expect to have good stories, so it's not surprising if the end is poorly done as well.

Vault101:
Red Dead Redemption

fuck that game

I lol'd.

The ending to RDR I loved. I've truly loved some games, but that ending has moved me the most I think.

JoesshittyOs:

Than I'm confused as to why it seems unappealing to you. I guess if you were bummed out about it's presentation, that's understandable, but the way it did present the ending was why it was so haunting to me. The cinematography, the closing dialogue, the way they left the wife's death a cliffhanger. It was all so straightforward with no restrictions. It was vicious. It was evil. It was unsettling. Hell, it even explained the title in the closing monologue.

By the way you're leading it on, I can only see a "satisfying" ending to you as being the good guys win. It would have been acceptable, but without the main character dying, there wouldn't have been that message and overall theme of the darkness of man to close it out. In a way, the story would have meant nothing without it. Just another action movie.

And I'm aware you never mentioned Oldboy. I was merely using that as an example, as they are sort of related here.

Yes, someone does not agree with your view on a movie ending. They must be close-minded or possibly stupid. Maybe they were too busy with something else to pay attention . They're probably unhappy when any film ends in any way that isn't the standard gingerbread and butterflies ending that is spoonfed to us by the film industry for all these years.

Clearly, no one on this thread ever watched the Quantum Leap finale. Seriously, that will depress you.

requisitename:
In my defense, I read them in a psychiatric hospital, while heavily sedated and otherwise medicated.

So, you thought it'd be a good idea to read twilight...while in a mental hospital? Because you obviously didn't have enough issues at the time.

In all seriousness? for movies it's gotta be the french film "High Tension" had a pretty bad ending.

Seriously, what the hell?

Books? I hear twilight isn't any better in novel form

Games? Modern warfare 2.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked