Mexico in your opinion?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

After watching CNN, i was wondering what is the global opinion of Mexico.
As in first tought that comes in mind. Is it a place you would want to visit?

I reside in the UK and I absolutely adore Mexico. Been there numerous times, my favourite would be out in the Yucatan peninsula - I would seriously consider moving there if it weren't for a lack of suitable jobs.

What's been said on CNN?

SPEEDY GONZALIS! MEE-HEE-COO!!! AYE AYE AYE!!!!

uhhhh

well I played red dead redemption and the place looks like great fun...aside from all the revolutions

Teresa Lass:

Mayan people that feel oppressed and mistreated by the Mexican government.

I loved Cozumel, never been fishing for triggerfish before but they fight hard for their size. Also some guy was chasing me around trying to sell me a bong, overall a great experience but I did done drink the water... the Mexican drain-o :P

It's pretty low on the list of places I want to visit, admittedly, not because of anything inherently wrong with Mexico, but simply because there are far too many other places that appeal to me more. So it's a resounding 'meh' of utmost neutrality.

Well, as an american I feel like people expect me to want to go to mexico. But frankly I've had a friend killed there when he was on holiday, and the mexican government has been completely unhelpful in finding out why.

So no, I do not see Mexico as a holiday destination. Besides, we still have Hawaii.

It's one of those places I've never actually given much thought to. I haven't done much research on the location, so to me it's just a place filled with cacti and people wearing sombrero's. Of course it's not, because that's a stereotype. I've no intention to go there, nor to learn much about it.

Well it's like any other country. It just has some problems, mostly the cartels. It's unfortunate, since they've tried cracking down--I forget what number exactly--thousands of people have been killed in cartel related violence.
My mom wanted to take the family there this summer, but we couldn't agree on place. She wanted to go to resort Mexico, I wanted to go to real Mexico. We're going to Belize instead.
Most of Mexico really isn't as bad as people think. Some of my friends grew up in Mexico, and you have to get away from all the resorts for the best waves.

some fine cheap beers, great holidays, superb views.

American:

Land of the Cartels and the Gangs. Stay out of there if you want to stay alive.

GoaThief:
I reside in the UK and I absolutely adore Mexico. Been there numerous times, my favourite would be out in the Yucatan peninsula - I would seriously consider moving there if it weren't for a lack of suitable jobs.

What's been said on CNN?

This blows my mind. It's probably because I'm American, but I don't know why anyone would want to visit Mexico over any part of Europe. Well, except maybe some of the slavic nations...

Eh, I live in CA not too far north from the border. Less than an hour away from San Diego for estimation sake.

And honestly... well I get the impression I do not want to go right over the border. Has become relatively dangerous to my knowledge. Don't think that applies to all of Mexico, but it is the most immediate location I'd have the ability to visit. Do have some family friends who are Mexican. Or well the mother is Mexican, got to be friends with my mother and grandmother when my mom was a kid. I hear they visit occasionally to some nice enough place. Idk though, not exactly looking to travel.

I've been to several parts of Mexico and, while things are better if you get away from the U.S. border areas, it's still not somewhere I want to spend much time at this point. There's a lot of drug cartel/gang related violence, as others have already said. That violence is all too often visited upon foreigners rather than enemies (other cartel/gang members/leaders), unfortunately.

I've been there a few times... I loved it... it cost me pennies on the dollar to have a good time

sure it's a rather shitty 3rd world country... but then I've been to much worse

Honestly, your Mexico experience is only as good as the resort you're staying at. I don't really see the point in shelling out big bucks to visit some place you aren't really interested in seeing.

It's dirty and just about every area looks like the neighborhood in your town that nobody wants to walk through.

I had a friend who went to mexico on holiday and he came back alive and tanned so it cant be all bad.

Although If I was going to stay there, it would be in a bullet proof house filled with guns and suppilies near a military base.

No me gusta.

Spanish aside, I'm not very fond of the place. I've been to Reynosa twice with my church and it wasn't very good. Basically, the drivers almost seemed like they were trying to run people over. And people were always trying to sell me useless crap. So no. I didn't like it.

I actually live there, I've lived all over the place Ensenada, Mexicali, Zacatecaz, Tijuana, Matamoroz, Mérida, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, Queretaro and and more cities I can't remember right now (I never stay at one place for too long), I've visited pretty much every state Touristically speaking it's a wonderful place there are tons of great things to see, we have the pyramids, the beaches, the beautiful colonial cities (Guanajuato is definitely my favourite), the jungle and so on, I actually don't understand why a lot of people here want to go on vacation to places like California since there are so many things to see on this place, I mean I've lived here all my life and travelled all over the place and I still haven't seen everything, the government sucks though, taxes are ridiculously high and when I lived in Tijuana I saw a corpse pretty much every day laying on the street so it's not perfect, but whatever it's my home.
I find it funny that I've been to all of the cities mentioned so far.

Edit: So basically I've seen the good and the bad, can't say is the ideal place to live but the only other country I've been to is the USA and as bad as it is here I like it better than there, not sure why but I prefer being here.
I guess if you have any questions about it I could try to answer them but as I said I move way too much so even though I've been almost everywhere here my knowledge of the place isn't that good.
Though we do have the best flag in the entire world, just saying.

Regnes:
Honestly, your Mexico experience is only as good as the resort you're staying at. I don't really see the point in shelling out big bucks to visit some place you aren't really interested in seeing.

It's dirty and just about every area looks like the neighborhood in your town that nobody wants to walk through.

I didn't go to a resort as I felt it wasn't representative of the country... I mean if I wanted to stay at a beach resort staffed by all Mexicans I'd just go to one in California

I went to Tijuana, Mexico City and a few others... I've also been to Cancun but I don't really count that as being "real" mexico

It truly depends on where you go. The Gulf is beautiful and so are many other places there, but a lot of it is either just poor or really dangerous.

Bad bad place to go I plan on never going there :/

Teresa Lass:

great country with culture, but unfortunately is suffering from a corrupt government and cartels who run half the country.

which is a shame because since those two things make it such a shit hole, they come over here and then we have problems that really shouldn't be discussed here, so i digress.

I'm American. I think it's a country like any other. It has it's unique benefits to living there, and has a rich tradition. But it also has problems with violence with the cartels and such. And the wages and earnings need improving.

I've been to Mexico a few times. The general "vibe" varies greatly depending on what part you visit (and when). I haven't been there since 2006, and El Paso was in the midst of a drug war when I last visited, while Progresso is about as "tourist" as it gets (great candy shops and food though. What I would do to get some more of those sugared lemon twisters).

But what's truly scary is their government.
One. Seriously. Fucked. Up. GOVERNMENT.
I can't even begin to describe my thoughts on it, but good luck hombres.

South is quite nice: "bebidas barato", cushy resorts, beaches, the tops. the Northern states you'd want to avoid (i understand kidnapping tourists is a lucrative trade)

Ty for all ur answers :)
I am in fact mexican, i live in México city. So about CNN it was because i have the USA feed of it. The news in question was about cartels ofc, and how bad the drug war is turning. So, with those kind of news running globaly made me wonder what perspective the world has about us.
And sadly the opinion goes more on the bad anthics of criminals and polititians, which are a very loud minority.

Regardless, ty again for your posts, they make me see the -big picture- rather than biased self inspection. :)

I'd go to Cuba

Been there a few times, it was nice for the most part but a pretty low priority to visit again. There are lots of places I have never gone that I want to see first.

Teresa Lass:
I am in fact mexican, i live in México city. So about CNN it was because i have the USA feed of it. The news in question was about cartels ofc, and how bad the drug war is turning. So, with those kind of news running globaly made me wonder what perspective the world has about us.
And sadly the opinion goes more on the bad anthics of criminals and polititians, which are a very loud minority.

Regardless, ty again for your posts, they make me see the -big picture- rather than biased self inspection. :)

Well it's hard not to focus on that, I don't know if you've witnessed any of the violence or not but I personally have and it's well pretty horrible, I mean in Tijuana the most disgusting thing that happened is that I no longer cared if someone was dead, I didn't feel all that disgusted when someone died or I saw someone dead, because it happened every single day it was normal, I mean we are supposed to be at a state of peace right now yet there are more people getting killed here that in actual warzones, so it's kind of hard not to pay attention to that sort of thing.

Suicidejim:
It's pretty low on the list of places I want to visit, admittedly, not because of anything inherently wrong with Mexico, but simply because there are far too many other places that appeal to me more. So it's a resounding 'meh' of utmost neutrality.

This. I hear relatively little about in the UK, it's just another country. May go there some day, but plenty of other places are higher up on the list.

Honestly... I would rather go to Mexico than say... America. I would feel a lot safer in Mexico.

Volf:

Teresa Lass:

Mayan people that feel oppressed and mistreated by the Mexican government.

Well, that's deserved if you ask me. The Mayans have doomed us all just because they were too lazy to make a calendar last beyond 2012 and now we got less than a year left to live.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to Mexico. There's so much that's really bad there with both the politics and the economy. It doesn't even seem like they try to hide it. I would like to go there once though

Teresa Lass:

Part of the problem with the perception of Mexico is that what we hear in other countries is probably mostly what may be of interest to tourists and if you're a tourist you are probably more likely to be mugged, ripped off, scammed, or kidnapped. Its really the same in pretty much any place that attracts lots of tourists but when we add on top of that the number of news stories and movies about government corruption and the drug cartels it really gives an impression of a country full of criminals.

I live in Southern California. The is a rather large number of people even here in the US who think Los Angeles = Compton = daily driveby shootings. Hollywood is more well known than Compton though so it sort of evens out.

Rather than dwell on the negatives, I will think of the good things about Mexico. Which is Tequila, nachos and Catalina from My Name Is Earl.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked