Music festivals this year, anyone going to any?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So for the last couple of weeks or so, the majority of festivals in the UK have been announcing their first lot of confirmed acts.

Now there are three I usually go to:

Download Festival which this year has The Prodigy, Metallica and Black Sabbath headlining, along with Chase and Status, Machine Head, NOFX, Fear Factory, Tenacious D, Steel Panther, and Devin Townsend to name a few. The rest of the lineup can be found here: http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/

Bloodstock which this year has Behemoth, Testament and Alice Cooper headlining http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/

And finally Sonisphere which gave me pause for thought after the initial lineup was announced. The lineup being, Kiss, Faith no More, and Queen. http://sonisphere.co.uk/

Yup. Queen.
Still not sure what to make of that one to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that I even want to go this year solely based on that.

But anyway, I digress. If there are any festival goers among us, what festivals are ya planning on going to this year if any?

El Luck:
So for the last couple of weeks or so, the majority of festivals in the UK have been announcing their first lot of confirmed acts.

Download Festival which this year has The Prodigy, Metallica and Black Sabbath headlining, along with Chase and Status, Machine Head, NOFX, Fear Factory, Tenacious D, Steel Panther, and Devin Townsend to name a few. The rest of the lineup can be found here: http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/

Bloodstock which this year has Behemoth, Testament and Alice Cooper headlining http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/

And finally Sonisphere which gave me pause for thought after the initial lineup was announced. The lineup being, Kiss, Faith no More, and Queen. http://sonisphere.co.uk/

Yup. Queen.
Still not sure what to make of that one to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that I even want to go this year solely based on that.

But anyway, I digress. If there are any festival goers among us, what festivals are ya planning on going to this year if any?

You forgot a big one, Soundgarden, one of the main reasons why I want to go to Download this year (if I'm to get someone to go with and the funds). I frikken love me some Soundgarden, grunger for life yo.

Failing to go to Download, I'm hoping for a Stone Roses announcement for Reading, they are been announced for T in the Park already, so fingers cross for Reading, and then i'll definitely go this year if that comes to pass.

Hopefully Download, depending on hospital appointments I'm defiantly there. It's an excellent line up, wish Metallica wasn't playing black album though, if they had to play a whole album why not Ride the Lightning, or justice for all?

Boom Festival

Although O.Z.O.R.A. is tempting too.

Jazoni89:

El Luck:

Yup. Queen.

You forgot a big one, Soundgarden, one of the main reasons why I want to go to Download this year (if I'm to get someone to go with and the funds). I frikken love me some Soundgarden, grunger for life yo.

Failing to go to Download, I'm hoping for a Stone Roses announcement for Reading, they are been announced for T in the Park already, so fingers cross for Reading, and then i'll definitely go this year if that comes to pass.

I'm not really that bothered about Soundgarden, sure I wanna hear Black Hole Sun but other than that...eh not really fussed. Never really cared about grunge really, it just passed me by, though that said, I love me some Alice in Chains.
To be honest the main reason for me going is due to Devin Townsend, that guy is frakking awesome.

I'm going to Wacken Open Air this August with my brother. Finally after six years I finally get to go.

El Luck:

Jazoni89:

El Luck:

Yup. Queen.

I'm not really that bothered about Soundgarden, sure I wanna hear Black Hole Sun but other than that...eh not really fussed. Never really cared about grunge really, it just passed me by, though that said, I love me some Alice in Chains.
To be honest the main reason for me going is due to Devin Townsend, that guy is frakking awesome.

Well, Each to their own I suppose.

I'm not a fan of Devin Townsend, sure he's innovative and cool, but I've never been huge into the styles he does (and I have heard a lot of his work too even in Strapping Young Lad).

To the Finnish rock festival that I've been to since 2002, except two years before last year.

RanD00M:
I'm going to Wacken Open Air this August with my brother. Finally after six years I finally get to go.

First time i've looked at the lineup for this year for Wacken...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I really wanna go. Rollins spoken word!? thats enough for me to go.

Sonisphere, Helsinki

Mostly going because of Amorphis and Metallica. Not a big fan of either of them, but I always wanted to see them live

Soundwave

Slipknot, System of a Down, Turisas, Trivium, A Day To Remember...and more, I can't remember the others. But it's a brilliant line up, I am looking forward to it!

I always go to Fairport's Cropredy Convention (formerly known as Cropredy Festival). It's primarily a folk festival with various other things including reggae, soul, rock, blues, country etc. It originally began as a farewell concert for Fairport Convention, became a yearly reunion and has taken off from there. Always brilliant and billed as Britain's Friendliest Festival. This year's highlights include Legend (awesome Bob Marley tribute band), Richard Thompson, Squeeze, Joan Armatrading, Big Country, Bellowhead and of course, Fairport themselves.

I am going to Soundwave in Melbourne next week which should be an enjoyable event.

And if it is happening again this year I am definitely going to go to Bastardfest again whilst it isn't exactly as big as other music festivals I still find it awesome.

Really Prodigy and Biffy are the only big acts that I really want to see at download, I mean I would like to see Chase and Status, Soundgarden and Matalica, but I'm not too bothered unlike last year where I wanted to see all of big bands. On the other hand I want to see Rise Against, Trivium, You me at Six and many more second stage.

If I don't go download then I will go Hevy Festival http://www.hevy.co.uk/2012/ as it's a great experience for only 100 that will be great no matter who's playing.

EDIT: If I ever vist my relatives in Australia I would so go Soundwave, because it always looks awesome, but it's too far away for me as I live in the UK.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to save enough money to go to hellfest with some friends, it's over in france, but the lineup looks amazing

*sigh* unfortunatly I dont have a life..and don't handle crowds well

never been to a music festivl *Violin music*

Going to Reading Festival (annual tradition, 7 years running)
Exit festival in serbia

Soundwave looks worth flying to Australia for...

Well, our biggest music festival has been cancelled this year so the second music festival is going to be swamped. I still might go though, Electric Picnic always gets good acts.

I don't think they've announced anything so far though.

El Luck:

RanD00M:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I really wanna go. Rollins spoken word!? thats enough for me to go.

Machine Head, Opeth, Napalm Death, Rollins Spoken Word, Amon Amarth, Decapitated, Leningrad Cowboys. And lets not forget the one that I actually yelled with joy over when I saw that they were confirmed, OVERKILL!!!!

I've been to Leeds a few times, not last year though, I feel like I've outgrown it a bit and can no longer be bothered with the number of morons who go just to burn stuff on the last night. The rumoured bands have interested me this year though, but I have no money to get a ticket.

I was hoping on going to Glasto, but it's not on this year.

I am contrmplating to visit Hellfest in france. Lamb of god, unexpect, enslaved, and lots more i really like.

Reading Festival.
There will be a band I like headlining, I'm pretty confident of that.
I'm also fairly hoping that Enter Shikari finally headline, but they'll probably either be near the top of the lineup or headlining the NME Alternative stage. Either way, the reaction will be huge and the set mental, so I'll probably go just for them.

However I've heard rumours of both Green Day and Foo Fighters headlining, and either way that's gonna be awesome.
I hope Biffy Clyro go as well.

I'll mainly just go for Shikari and the awesome fun times with my friends.

RanD00M:

El Luck:

RanD00M:

Machine Head, Opeth, Napalm Death, Rollins Spoken Word, Amon Amarth, Decapitated, Leningrad Cowboys. And lets not forget the one that I actually yelled with joy over when I saw that they were confirmed, OVERKILL!!!!

Don't take this the wrong way. Take it for what it is...mainly jealousy and envy.

You cunt!

Nah I kid I kid. but damn that is an awesome lineup. I really need to get my mates in on this one year...I've said this every year since I first heard of Wacken. /sigh.

arnoldthebird:
Soundwave

Slipknot, System of a Down, Turisas, Trivium, A Day To Remember...and more, I can't remember the others. But it's a brilliant line up, I am looking forward to it!

Aye, Soundwave does look awesome. System of a Down are amazing live.
I would have said the same about Turisas if this was 2 years ago or so, but I saw them last year and they didn't have their accordion player because she was off sick and it felt pretty lacking because they used a lot more synth than usual especially in their latest album...and now she's not in the band anymore which makes me think..oh bugger.

well since i live in reading im going to......
Creamfields :P
iv done the metal/rock thing many times before (download, sonisphere and reading all tried out) and really i've experienced all that before, figured id try how the other side lives :)

I'm going to Bonnaroo this year because of all the rappers. Some of my favorite artists are going to be there and I would be mad at myself if I missed it. I mean, Kendrick Lamar, Das Racist, Danny Brown, Childish Gambino, even Yelawolf. There's also St. Vincent, Radiohead, Battles, and a ton of other bands that I love.

I really wanted to go to Coachella but it's on the other side of the country so...

Im doing Download this will be my 5th download, then im not sure if i am doing Leeds or Sonisphere, i have done leeds 3 times, and never done sonisphere

bahumat42:
iv done the metal/rock thing many times before (download, sonisphere and reading all tried out) and really i've experienced all that before, figured id try how the other side lives :)

Noooo, don't do that you poor sausage!

Do the Glade Festival instead for an authentic electronic music experience, trust me.

bahumat42:

Friend of mine went to Creamfields, its pretty good apparently

But lets be honest at the end of the day, minus the bands, almost all festivals are the same, good tunes, good drink, good friends and moderately priced meh drugs... :p Unless you manage to find that one dealer whos already off of his head on whatever and is happy to sell his stuff extremely cheaply. hehehe

Bought my ticket for download last week, my first festival as well, I cant wait haha.

Skaderborg here in Denmark, because of A Day To Remember

Tomorrowland in Belguim.

my first festival will be this year, and i'm going download. the lineup looks incredible, another 22 bands being announced next week and i already want to be in 2 places at once for most of the stuff there. i'm pretty hyped for it, and it should be an awesome experience

I'm going to Rockwerchter in Belgium this year for the first time, the full 4 days of course. I'm mainly going for the Red Hot Chili Pepers en Pearl Jam but there are a tons of other great bands like the Cure, Snowpatrol, Elbow, Mumford & Sons and a shitload more.

Metalfest in Slovinia, mainly cos it'll be an adventure but also I don't like what Download has become. i.e. a bit of a sellout in my opinion.

So, so tempted to go to Download...

Death feast. Maybe. http://www.deathfeast-openair.de/de/bands-2011.html

Its just down the road from me, so its tempting, even though festivals arent my thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked