Being Fat isn't Bad

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Kroxile:
Simple fact of the matter is: If you're fat; you're seen as a person who cannot master themselves and thus are worthy of disdain.

Being genetically chubby isn't one's own fault; though that doesn't mean they shouldn't take extra care to prevent themselves from ballooning up to blimp status.

The morbidly obese who make no effort to change their ways however, are worthy of every bit of disdain they receive regardless of their other qualities.

Any who want to disagree can if they want, but society as a whole is on my side and that will most likely never change.

Double post just to focus on this. Have you *seen* how society has changed? In a relatively short time span in history, we have gone through all kinds of perceptions of body size.

Have you seen historical art? Lots of the women were very curvy -- we would call many of them obese now. Back then, that meant you were prosperous and could afford rich and plentiful food. It was a sign of success. People considered these voluptuous women to be the pinnacle of beauty. Nowadays, people like you would look down on them and call them lazy and uncaring for themselves, because nowadays you get fat because you're sedentary and work at your desk, not because you're lucky enough to afford good food. Today, thin is in, because it means you spend your leisure time exercising instead of working more, and also because (whether erroneously or not) it has come to symbolize self-control in a country where it is very easy to obtain calorie-dense food.

The same happened with skin tone. Pale was beautiful when it meant that you didn't have to work in the sun because you were rich. Now, tan is beautiful because you can afford to lie out in the sun instead of work indoors all day.

Society *does* change. Someday thin might not be the popular way to be. And honestly, it doesn't have to be rail-thin or blimp-fat anyway -- statistics are pointing towards most Americans still preferring middle-range women, those who have fluff but are neither very fat nor very thin. Models are not a good reference for this.

BlueMage: try telling that to the people who have disorders in their hormones that prevent them from feeling satiation. It has been scientifically shown that certain genetic anomalies will cause animals -- and people -- to lose sight of when their appetite is and isn't active, and when they should stop eating. Also, the body has a number of mechanisms to prevent fat loss, including slowing the metabolism under high levels of exercise.

Losing weight is very much possible. But it isn't necessarily a sign of laziness or lack of work that some people have a hard time doing so.

So to sum up OP: anorexia is a disgusting health problem and being overweight is fine.

I see this everywhere, it's incredibly common and I'm tired of it, neither one is good. Being skinny and being curvy are fine, you don't have to be the perfect body size, but being at the extremes of both is unhealthy both mentally and physically.

Stop trying to demonise anorexia and justify obesity, they both need to be tackled by the individual as they choose and please.

Simply put... if I was fat I would lose my job... therefore I do my utmost best to not get fat...! Also I live in a society where I rarely see fat people, so it's actually wierd for me ar times to go back into normality and realise that there are some very large people out there...

I don't think that fat people are any less than anybody else, and I perfectly understand that sometimes its not completely their fault (health problems, eating disorders and the like) but I still thank that for most people there is no excuse... It's not hard to eat healthily and exercise, it hardly takes any time, and beleive it or not it actually makes you feel good! It helps with sleep, and routine, and you can get a pretty good buzz after a run, or a gym session...!

Then again what is the definition of fat? If I get on a Wii Fit, stick my height and age into it and get on, it will tell me I am overweight... Which I am far from! I'm 5'7" with a 32" waist, barely plump at all!

To be honest though, with my interests I don't care who I do them with! I'd game with anyone who is a laugh to game with, or watch a movie etc!

There's a difference between having fat and being fat. Having fat is important, because it serves as stored energy, protects your internal organs from injury, and provides warmth. Being fat is bad because it slows down your metabolism and is directly linked to numerous diseases, both physical and psychological. Having fat is good. Being fat is bad.

Aurora Firestorm:

Kroxile:
Simple fact of the matter is: If you're fat; you're seen as a person who cannot master themselves and thus are worthy of disdain.

Being genetically chubby isn't one's own fault; though that doesn't mean they shouldn't take extra care to prevent themselves from ballooning up to blimp status.

The morbidly obese who make no effort to change their ways however, are worthy of every bit of disdain they receive regardless of their other qualities.

Any who want to disagree can if they want, but society as a whole is on my side and that will most likely never change.

Double post just to focus on this. Have you *seen* how society has changed? In a relatively short time span in history, we have gone through all kinds of perceptions of body size.

Have you seen historical art? Lots of the women were very curvy -- we would call many of them obese now. Back then, that meant you were prosperous and could afford rich and plentiful food. It was a sign of success. People considered these voluptuous women to be the pinnacle of beauty. Nowadays, people like you would look down on them and call them lazy and uncaring for themselves, because nowadays you get fat because you're sedentary and work at your desk, not because you're lucky enough to afford good food. Today, thin is in, because it means you spend your leisure time exercising instead of working more, and also because (whether erroneously or not) it has come to symbolize self-control in a country where it is very easy to obtain calorie-dense food.

The same happened with skin tone. Pale was beautiful when it meant that you didn't have to work in the sun because you were rich. Now, tan is beautiful because you can afford to lie out in the sun instead of work indoors all day.

Society *does* change. Someday thin might not be the popular way to be. And honestly, it doesn't have to be rail-thin or blimp-fat anyway -- statistics are pointing towards most Americans still preferring middle-range women, those who have fluff but are neither very fat nor very thin. Models are not a good reference for this.

Losing weight is very much possible. But it isn't necessarily a sign of laziness or lack of work that some people have a hard time doing so.

Indeed, society does change, but I doubt incredibly obese people have ever been the "in thing".

And don't speak to me of being rich enough to be lazy etc etc. I work as an intermediate manager at mcdonald's (called crew trainers, step above grunt step below actual management) I don't make nearly enough to be lazy and I eat the slop from that hole everyday because I get it for half price making it convenient for my budget and I'm thin, muscular for my genetic build, even.

I see fat, nasty, people everyday come in and order obscene amounts of food, sit down, and scarf it all down before waddling out to their jalopies that visibly strain under their weight before driving off and it makes me sick.

There is no excuse for being obese. None at all. If you are obese; you have a self control issue and are therefore worthy of being ridiculed. End of story.

Ulisses:
Whats more interesting to me is you guys whose attitude can be basically summarised as "obese people need to eat less and stop costing me money"

Im just curious here, but how do you guys feel about alcoholics (or just alcohol related conditions and injuries), and smokers? Because I can almost guarantee you that those two things probably eat into more of your tax dollars/pounds whatever than obesity. Or do they get a pass because smoking and drinking is more socially acceptable then being obese?

Most people on this site drink socially but I'm not sure how they feel about full blown alcoholism. They fucking hate smokers though. Any thread regarding "Your biggest turn-off" (and there have been a lot of them) results in about 80% of people responding with 'smoking', and any cigarette related thread gets gallons of vitriol. "Stop wasting my tax money and killing me passively" seems to be the most common sentiment. It is a very compelling argument. Of course I didn't want to hurt anyone by smoking so instead I joined the army and bought a four wheel drive.

WELCOME TO THE ESCAPIST. Don't go in the basement. You won't fit.

Aurora Firestorm:
BlueMage: try telling that to the people who have disorders in their hormones that prevent them from feeling satiation. It has been scientifically shown that certain genetic anomalies will cause animals -- and people -- to lose sight of when their appetite is and isn't active, and when they should stop eating. Also, the body has a number of mechanisms to prevent fat loss, including slowing the metabolism under high levels of exercise.

You appear to have skipped over where I accounted for genetic deficiency. Reading comprehension is a skill, perhaps you should invest more points?

Also, of course most (Americans you say, males in general I say) prefer a middle-sized woman - they have the greatest likelihood of successfully carrying a child to term, irrespective of whether food is plentiful or not!

Being fat is bad, you're wasting so much potential in so many ways. Yes, I am fatist, and quite frankly I feel that being fat shows a massive lack of respect for yourself. I don't mean a little overweight. nor do I think that being fat when you're a little bit older (past middle-age really) but quite frankly being fat in your youth is just awful.

It's kind of sad that Caramel made this thread to show support for overweight people (I guess) but all it has done is create somewhere on the forums to legitimately put fat people down. Not really a good move methinks.

I have prejudices against fat people, cause beeing fat just shows me that they dont value their body enough to not let ot rot. If you dont even take care of your own well-being, how can i take you seriously?

Keoul:

Leadfinger:

Keoul:

Mate I'm on a forum :P OP asked a question and I'm answering it no need to get your knickers in a twist.

I'm not the health Nazi with his knickers in a twist about fat people.

-le sigh-
you CLEARLY can't be reasoned with so let's just end this argument with a picture eh?

Don't tempt him man, he's crazy, CRAAAZZZZYYY I TELL YA.

Ahem.

OT: Being fat sucks, if you are overweight it makes you feel uncomfortable in your own body, it makes you feel like a pig for eating the same thing as everyone else but because your fat people will only notice you eating.

Losing wight sucks, it's like trying to get to get to the other-side of a lake when the lake is the Atlantic ocean and it's full of piranha, it will hurt, it will suck and when you make it to the other side you find out nothing much is different and wonder what all that effort was for.

Being fat shows you don't care about your fitness. Though, no need to hate on a healthy amount of fat.

BloatedGuppy:
I do understand what you're saying, but I get very uncomfortable with both the characterization of the "obesity debate" as being entirely about aesthetics, and also with the concept that we shouldn't ever expect to face any form of censure as a result of our terrible decisions. I would never advocate that cruelty is acceptable...but the choice shouldn't be between acting like a bully or shrugging and letting this absurd obesity epidemic rage away unchecked.

Right, but you have to be careful about how you approach this kind of thing, if they think you're being smug or pushy about it then they aren't going to be very motivated to go through with it, in their mind the last thing they need is another person mocking them. For some people it's a case of wanting to lose the weight but lacking the inclination to do so and yeah, they kind of need a good kick up the arse to set them off on that, but it has to be coming from an important source. If you're lecturing a guy that you've only known like a month, you don't need clairvoyance to know that won't go over well; they'll likely either brush you off without taking you seriously or think you're an asshole. If it's coming from multiple people; family and friends they've known/trusted for years then that'll give them pause for thought. At any rate though, I'd like to emphasise again that it's their choice, as much as you may not like it, you can't make them do shit. Help people if you can but there are some people who simply don't want help even if it's in their best interest.

BloatedGuppy:
I know it's tempting to come racing to the defense of obesity because these people take a lot of shit and abuse they in no way deserve, but I'm not sure that obesity is something that merits defending. We need to stop pretending it's about aesthetics

I don't think I'm entirely convinced that it isn't though, as another user has been stressing there are plenty of people who on the surface appear to be doing fine, yet indulge in very lethargic lifestyle. *eats pizza swlice* I for example am not particularly fat, I've got a pretty thin frame and can easily pass for skinny up until removing my shirt, yet I'm in very bad shape, due to lack of exercise etc. As you've said there are plenty of people who look fine but are quite considerably unhealthy, but with the obese/overweight it's more obviously apparent at first glance, so that's where people's attention is drawn. Irrespective of the number of overweight people in the UK, we're still managing an average life expectancy of about 79/80 (and increasing I believe) so while there are exceptional cases, I find it hard to believe the overweight population is having their lives that dramatically endagered. I acknowledge that it's a serious isuue in the grand scheme of things but I just don't see someone with say a 32BMI, just clinching the title of Obese as being quite as severe detriment to their lifespan as you apper to believe. Perhaps I'm naive, but I think we're seeing the issue on seperate scales. :3 (I really need to stop with the dodgy puns)

BloatedGuppy:
BTW love the user name. Big fan of "Adjective + Animal".

Thank you. ^_^ I also love alliteration and oxymoronic jabs at people who read too much into things to the point where they see profundity in the utterly banal or innocuous. Though paradoxically I realise you'd have to read too much into those two words to educe such a cryptic message. I also meander quite a bit, should have just stuck with thank you. :3

volX:
I have prejudices against fat people, cause beeing fat just shows me that they dont value their body enough to not let ot rot. If you dont even take care of your own well-being, how can i take you seriously?

And the prize for dumbass of the week goes tooooooo...

Yeah, Being fat sucks, I've been there, didn't like it, took me two years of work and diet to get in shape and there wasn't that much difference beyond it being easier to find clothes and when I wink at women they sometimes wink back (they didn't wink at all before)

You sir, are a moron, sometimes in this wonderfully diverse genetic pool of slime we call earth there are people with a genetic pre-disposition to being fat, or storing away excess energy, it's a survival skill that many other animals share. Unfortunately our modern society doesn't actually need that ability so it ends with them either having to run a few kilometers every day or getting fat.

Most jobs don't allow you to run a few kilometers every day.

I hate fat people because they take up too much space. I'm small so when I sit somewhere like on a bus or in a row of seats I have some elbow room even if the other people next to me are average. Fat people love sitting next to me. And by next to I mean on. Get you fat ass on one chair goddammit. Or walking up the stairs at college, fat people take up two lanes (but thankfully they mostly stick to elevators). If you're not that extremely obese then I have no issue with it.

Aurora Firestorm:
Have you seen historical art? Lots of the women were very curvy -- we would call many of them obese now.

Uhm, actually no. There's never been a painting of an obese woman. Obese means they're hugely fat. What they depicted in those days was well within the healthy weight range.

BlueMage:
But I know where my fat lies, and I know what its health implications are. And so, I'm doing something about it. By the time I get married in October, I will be some 15 to 20kg lighter than I am currently.

That's nearly 20% less in barely half a year. Even if you succeed it'll fly back on because you've set extreme goals that you can't sustain the rest of your life.

Unless of course you build in a way to stay that weight after you make. I've two guys in my gym in the boxing classes, the competitive group even who joined because they wanted to get in shape, and if they get themselves out of shape, they'd get destroyed in the sparring. They pretty much said their reason for joining is it forces them to get and stay in shape, because otherwise they get owned all the time and feel humiliated.

True enough, one of them made remarkable improvements. The other smokes and is pretty much fucked because that means his longue capacity can never support the activity level.

OmniscientOstrich:
Irrespective of the number of overweight people in the UK, we're still managing an average life expectancy of about 79/80 (and increasing I believe) so while there are exceptional cases, I find it hard to believe the overweight population is having their lives that dramatically endangered. I acknowledge that it's a serious isuue in the grand scheme of things but I just don't see someone with say a 32BMI, just clinching the title of Obese as being quite as severe detriment to their lifespan as you apper to believe.

Actually, I don't necessarily think they'll die. I think they'll be alive, and sick. I think they'll have chronic pain. I think they'll get neuropathy and their eyesight will suffer, or they'll risk going blind. I think they'll be stuck with a diet FAR more rigid than the one they'd need to follow to get their weight under control, and never be able to deviate from it. I think they'll suffer from near constant gastronomical distress. They'll get dry mouth. They'll have skin issues. They'll have joint inflammation. And on and on. And some of this shit sounds pretty minor, but it's absolutely incredible how even one of those minor things can derail your quality of life, and if you develop one of the major obesity related diseases you're going to inherit a whole suite of them.

I understand totally that I'm just a talking fish on the internet and no one is going to take me seriously, your point is well taken. But too many people treat their health the same way as the guy who buys a burglar alarm one day after his house is robbed. They wait until things have absolutely bottomed out, and they're coming home from the doctor's with a diagnosis, or they're on the way to the hospital with a fucked up heart. And really, at that point, it's often too late to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

xXxJessicaxXx:
It's kind of sad that Caramel made this thread to show support for overweight people (I guess) but all it has done is create somewhere on the forums to legitimately put fat people down. Not really a good move methinks.

Doesn't really matter what you do actually. A thread about putting people down will get you flamed, but supporting a group can also get you flamed. It depends on the majority and your view point. I don't even consider these members flaming me but rather speaking out their points on the subject which turns out to be almost the same:

"Being fat is bad no matter what, you shouldn't say being fat isn't bad because of health factors."

Well if that's the case, what would they want instead? I could of done a thread saying fat people need to lose weight (which I wouldn't do, it's not my right to judge and very harsh actually) and people will feel offended that I am judging them which they'll say who am I to judge them? It goes for anything really:

The Escapist will always have a mix of people who will always disagree with you. Heck, one of the members here say my OP is so pointless and offensive that it's because i'm a Brony *shrug*. I just like helping but I think it's better to try then do nothing and never know what could of been or helped those who only got bashed for their weight losing all motives on their talents.

Brutal Peanut:
I think another reason people treat excessively fat people negatively, is because a majority of the time, it's something that can be changed with a bit of good ol' fashioned hard work. A lot of the typical illnesses that a fat person has, can be corrected and maintained through a healthier diet and daily exercise/activity, but they'd rather just pay for pills instead of doing the work to correct it - and that lack of drive and will-power is disgusting to some.

I think this is an important aspect of it. I understand that society is littered with fast food and really unhealthy high calorie options, but it's up to the individual to moderate themselves.

You can lose a LOT of fat by simply eating better. Eating better isn't that hard, IMO, because all it involves is not doing something. Going to the gym? That's work and effort. It's a time commitemnt (even though since i started going to the gym I really do enjoy it). But eating better? All you had to do is just eat different stuff. Bam, you're on the path to weight loss.

Reduce carbs (cutting them out ENTIRELY is very hard IMO), drink only water and try to have salad as a side dish more frequently and over a few months you'll probably be really surprised at how much weight you've lost.

There is an LPer on youtube I watch who lost 40 or 50 pounds in about 6 months by simply cutting carbs. He didn't excercise more or change anything else, just cut carbs and lost a lot of weight.

I just saw someone on TV talking about how being fat wasn't anyone's fault and we have a fat "gene" and it's really not anybody's fault.

FUCK THAT.

There are very, very few medical reasons to be fat. Yes they exist. But you know what? That's the massive fucking minority. I'm SO GLAD people have developed the utter apathy to think they need to be "accepted" while they're being lazy, looking awful and costing me goddamn money.

That's right, living in a country with a real health care system means I end up paying for these entitled bastards when their heart inevitably fails or their arteries inevitably clog. Being fat is your fault, your responsibility, and you should fucking well do something about it.

I went to America, ate shit, and came back with more weight. And you know what I'm doing? Losing it.

btw, http://ama.com.au/node/5371

Im 15, 138 lbs. I'm a wrestler, football player, weight lifter... and i pretty much sit on my ass about 3-4 hours a day playing video games. Sure I'm not the skinniest guy. I definitely know that I am no where near "fat" though, so perhaps i shouldn't be taken into a reliable position, but... for those that are, and im not trying to be judgemental, we all have a friend or family member who is chubby and believe me ive got a buddy or two who are indeed on the husky side, but if you are fat, at least try to do something about it at least once in your life. Again, im not trying to by cynical, and i can understand if your "big-boned" but do not blame your entire physical description because of it. Everyone in their life should at least attempt to reach their physical prime, they should reach out for it with their best. I understand not all people are in a position to do this due to some limitations, diseases, influences, their environment, but just as I cannot judge too confidently as I am not fat, those who are should just as well not take the opposite position, and blame things that are just absurd, and make a big huge scene the moment someone points out that they are indeed fat.

Kroxile:

Indeed, society does change, but I doubt incredibly obese people have ever been the "in thing".

And don't speak to me of being rich enough to be lazy etc etc. I work as an intermediate manager at mcdonald's (called crew trainers, step above grunt step below actual management) I don't make nearly enough to be lazy and I eat the slop from that hole everyday because I get it for half price making it convenient for my budget and I'm thin, muscular for my genetic build, even.

I see fat, nasty, people everyday come in and order obscene amounts of food, sit down, and scarf it all down before waddling out to their jalopies that visibly strain under their weight before driving off and it makes me sick.

There is no excuse for being obese. None at all. If you are obese; you have a self control issue and are therefore worthy of being ridiculed. End of story.

Aha, I see the problem here. You're assuming that these people are worthy of ridicule. Now I see what you're getting at.

This is a deplorable thing. If someone is completely ignorant (whether deliberately or accidentally) of their own state of malnutrition or ill health, and you simply mock them for their habits, you are not doing a single thing to help them. You're not even being neutral. You're making a negative impact, and you're getting some kind of schadenfreude out of it, or at the very least feeling like a superior human being. Which you aren't, by the way, and neither am I and neither is anyone else here. I'm sure that you, just like every other human out there, has some sort of bad habit or unfortunate aspect that others could make fun of you for.

If you eat too much food and get fat, are you suffering consequences? Most definitely. Do you deserve to be mocked? No. You don't know who these people are and why they're eating so much. You don't know if they're depressed and hide it in food, or if they have a binge eating disorder, or something else. You don't know their lives. So stop thinking you can judge.

Being unhealthily fat is something that needs attention in someone's life. But the answer is to address *why* someone is fat -- why aren't they exercising an appropriate amount, or eating less, or better, or whatever? There is always a reason. Laziness *can* be one...but there are so many others, and they are not uncommon. Understanding trumps judgment.

Caramel Frappe:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Doesn't really matter what you do actually. A thread about putting people down will get you flamed, but supporting a group can also get you flamed. It depends on the majority and your view point. I don't even consider these members flaming me but rather speaking out their points on the subject which turns out to be almost the same:

"Being fat is bad no matter what, you shouldn't say being fat isn't bad because of health factors."

Well if that's the case, what would they want instead? I could of done a thread saying fat people need to lose weight (which I wouldn't do, it's not my right to judge and very harsh actually) and people will feel offended that I am judging them which they'll say who am I to judge them? It goes for anything really:

The Escapist will always have a mix of people who will always disagree with you. Heck, one of the members here say my OP is so pointless and offensive that it's because i'm a Brony *shrug*. I just like helping but I think it's better to try then do nothing and never know what could of been or helped those who only got bashed for their weight losing all motives on their talents.

You could just say nothing at all...:/

I just think this thread has been more harm than help. Next time my councillor says 'It's okay to go out no one is staring at or judging you' I'll be sure to show them this thread and what people really think.

Vault101:

it pisses me off because on top of EVERYTHING women deal with...we can now feel insecure about our privates! (I mean for fuck sake)

Yeah welcome to our world on that one. Can't we just accept that genitals all look a bit silly and get on with our lives. They're there for function, not fashion.

xXxJessicaxXx:

I just think this thread has been more harm than help. Next time my councillor says 'It's okay to go out no one is staring at or judging you' I'll be sure to show them this thread and what people really think.

That's your confirmation bias talking. There are plenty of posts in here from people who are sympathetic and/or understanding. The douche bags who are trying to hit to hurt are in the minority.

There's a big difference between saying "what you're doing is unhealthy, and you need to consider a change", and a moral judgment or attack on your character.

The right weight is the one your happy with, and not putting a burden on loved ones. Yep.

I'm over weight, somewhere in 180 pounds range, but I'm happy with my weight.

To put it simply, this thread is valid in most ways, but really - is probably closer to 'Being thin IS bad' but that would sound pessimistic, I guess.

Logically? No. We shouldn't judge people like we do, but we're probably always going to, just like we judge people who want to look skinny and throw up to do it. Society will always judge people who are overly large, it's sad but true, not much we can do on it.

But I know it's good to care, but really - being fat (very fat I mean, I'm not talking about those niggling people who are chubby and overly paranoid, and have the self-confidence of a rubber-duck!) IS unhealthy, probably as much so as people who throw up. We do need to maintain ourselves, it's a pain in the ass and there's not many other ways to put it - but unless you're either a very lucky gentlemen or extremely confident in yourself (which probably means you're a douche-bag anyway) then you're going to need to maintain yourself to get at just the right level.
We should be discouraging people from getting overly fat - it is unhealthy and will slow you down, it's not a life-ender(unless you're really obese of course) but most people are judgemental, and if you're lucky enough to find someone like this person mentions, then really - you're probably lucky enough to avoid a heart-attack, or simply not fat in the first place!

TL;DR It's not how it should be, but it's how society is, it's not going to be changing any-time soon, so you may as well just go with it and do your best to NOT get fat.

Aurora Firestorm:

Being unhealthily fat is something that needs attention in someone's life. But the answer is to address *why* someone is fat -- why aren't they exercising an appropriate amount, or eating less, or better, or whatever? There is always a reason. Laziness *can* be one...but there are so many others, and they are not uncommon. Understanding trumps judgment.

Laziness and/or lack of self control is ALWAYS the reason.

Depressed? Boo-hoo, cry me a river. Go do something about it instead of drowning your sorrows in haagen-daaz.

Have a genetic disorder? Ok, here is where I'm willing to grant some leeway, but "chubby" people are fine, obese are not. No one is genetically obese, no one is born with fat rolls stuffed into their oversized pants. My girlfriend is genetically built towards "chubby" or whatever, but she isn't disgustingly fat, which only further validates my point.

There is never an excuse to not better yourself in someway. Especially if that way is gaining some form of control over your life.

Kroxile:

Depressed? Boo-hoo, cry me a river. Go do something about it instead of drowning your sorrows in haagen-daaz.

There is never an excuse to not better yourself in someway. Especially if that way is gaining some form of control over your life.

Since you're an advocate for self-improvement, you could start by exercising some tact and compassion.

Caramel Frappe:

Question: If you're fat, are you ashamed at all and if you are does this Thread help you understand that you're awesome no matter what?

You and all your threads with their direct questions!

I'm fat. Goddamn manboobs, but perky. How does that even happen?! Anyways, I don't like it, but I seriously lack the motivation and cash to do anything about it.

if I had a reason to, I'd stop drinking all these soft drinks, stop eating chocolate, go running instead of walking... but I don't. I'm not unhealthy by any stretch of the imagination (paranoia concernign my heart stopping in the middle of the night for no reason notwithstanding), I don't get out of breath climbing a flight of stairs (in fact the other day for a joke I ran up and down the stairs probably about eight or nine times), I go for long walks... just seems like all of my body fat has clustered on my torso, and left my arms and legs void of insulation.

I do have nice legs though. Shame nobody wants to see them.

All that said, the other day I seem to have injured my neck by sitting still. I can barely move my head for the past three days...

BloatedGuppy:

Kroxile:

Since you're an advocate for self-improvement, you could start by exercising some tact and compassion.

Already have plenty of that. What I do not have however, is sympathy for pathetic people who blame everything else but the culprit for their problems.

My only flaw is that I get too bored too easily of everything I do and never finish what I start. But I am blaming myself, Me, the only one responsible for my flaw, nothing else.

Vault101:

Caramel Frappe:

Keoul:
So i sees you like defending the minorities (fat people and bullies) interesting OP...

We could always blame the media for everything but really it's the people's fault for even falling for it, it's been several years now since people have been saying how it's all fake and computer generated yet girls/guys are still trying to get that supermodel look. Get these kids educated -.-

I agree to you to some extent but also remember that some of these models actually exist and do live performances so it's not all fully based on illusions and generated computer skills yet it's sort of darker since i've seen a video on it. The methods these models do to be so skinny and look the way they do.. *shiver*

Did you know that some models now and then get surgery despite being skinny? They even do so on their lips, their bottoms and breasts, especially their stomachs.. it's like a remodel trying to look like Barbie. (Guys tend to get fake abs implanted when modeling so the surgery tactic applies to both genders depending on what look they're going for). Pretty chilling on what people would do to be part of the modeling industry. I won't judge them though but you get where I am coming from.

you know what really disturbes me?

Labia-plasty

without going into too much detail essentially its where ladies get plastic surgery "down there" to make it so everything is "neatly tucked in"...

theres a theory that it kind of comes from soft porn cencorship so they cant show much graphic detail...so they photoshop "outies" into "innies" and mabye thats how people figure its "suposed" to be

it pisses me off because on top of EVERYTHING women deal with...we can now feel insecure about our privates! (I mean for fuck sake)

I mean imgaine being a young teenager/woman, it would make the prospect of sex a million more times scary....being rejected over that /rant

well, now women can know how men feel about their bodies when it comes to issues with your crotch.

Honestly I think that it's much more important for people to strive to be physically fit instead of just accepting people being very overweight. I'm not talking about being husky or the other extreme on the fat spectrum, morbid obesity, I'm just talking about the kind of fat that most everyone can agree is too fat. Accepting everyone is great and all, but shouldn't people be encouraged to live healthier lifestyles?

BloatedGuppy:

xXxJessicaxXx:

That's your confirmation bias talking. There are plenty of posts in here from people who are sympathetic and/or understanding. The douche bags who are trying to hit to hurt are in the minority.

There's a big difference between saying "what you're doing is unhealthy, and you need to consider a change", and a moral judgment or attack on your character.

It's not exactly like you can prove you are working out or dieting in public though. People just as likely to tease a fat person eating a salad as they are someone eating a massive burger.
You can't win.

Kroxile:
Already have plenty of that. What I do not have however, is sympathy for pathetic people who blame everything else but the culprit for their problems.

My only flaw is that I get too bored too easily of everything I do and never finish what I start. But I am blaming myself, Me, the only one responsible for my flaw, nothing else.

Eh, there's a line between explaining/blaming. It's not like depression is a phantom illness, or that it DOESN'T have an effect on weight gain. You can understand why weight gain is easier for some, and weight loss harder, and be compassionate about that, and still advocate for them to sort their weight out. "Boo hoo go drown your sorrows in Hagen Daz" isn't helpful to anyone, and you're giving in to your desire to be a jerk when you say it, and I'm pretty sure you're aware of that.

It just makes it impossible to actually have a serious dialogue with people about the dangers of being overweight without them screaming "fat shaming" and sticking their heads in the sand.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked