Being Fat isn't Bad

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Mydogisblue:
Look, if everyone just put a damn treadmill in front of their video games there wouldn't be any more fat people.

Not a good idea for really fat people. Their legs can't take the strain of walking long distance without breaks, much less running. After all of their ligaments and tendons give out, stress fractures work their way up the legs and such... well, then they're less mobile than ever.
On the other hand, if a person is young and just overweight as opposed to morbidly obese... not a bad idea.

Still, every famous fat person mentioned in the OP was relatively mobile, and I tend to agree that it's not a completely untenable way to live, they certainly had far stronger bodies than sufferers of anorexia nervosa.
But when you get beyond that, into the territory of morbid obesity... when a person has trouble getting up unassisted, much less walking down the street... then it becomes a very big health problem.

Bomberman4000:
"...I've read through a lot of the posts in this topic, not all of them admittedly because I have to go to work shortly but I do want to weigh in on this topic..."

No pun intended?

Evil Teddie:
In order to reach a normal BMI, I have to lose at least 3 stones, I'm in college with my dad at the moment and believe me, it's all hands to the study desk, so no time for exercising

If you need every single hour to study, you might as well stop school right now because you'll never make it. Time can always be made, excersize always be done.
I often do lightly while watching tv for instance. I have a weight for my arms to lift then, and if those tire you can lie down and do sit-ups, either only during advertising blocks, or also in between.
Heck, if you study, you need to carry books. So bring one or two more than needed for extra weight, stuff them in your backpack, and quite simply weigh down what you're already doing it a bit more to burn more calories.

I was just going to say that I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, I have to work very hard to put on weight. This is not fun. I agree with the majority here that obesity is bad, but we should really focus more on the people at my end (No offense). When some people I know are exhausted after 100m and find it hard to recuperate within a day after that, you know they're in trouble. These are the people who do not have enough sustenance to live properly off. There's starving kids in Africa, but we can't help them the same way we can help the starving kids around us.

I believe there is nothing wrong with being chubby. Last thing you want is to be knocking bones (literally) in bed. If your overweight its one thing, if your 350 pounds and one big mac short of a heart attack you got a problem.

Then again I'm skinny as hell (5'11" 140lbs) so I can't ridicule on something I havn't experienced. Still... unhealthy is unhealthy.

Blablahb:

Evil Teddie:
In order to reach a normal BMI, I have to lose at least 3 stones, I'm in college with my dad at the moment and believe me, it's all hands to the study desk, so no time for exercising

If you need every single hour to study, you might as well stop school right now because you'll never make it. Time can always be made, excersize always be done.
I often do lightly while watching tv for instance. I have a weight for my arms to lift then, and if those tire you can lie down and do sit-ups, either only during advertising blocks, or also in between.
Heck, if you study, you need to carry books. So bring one or two more than needed for extra weight, stuff them in your backpack, and quite simply weigh down what you're already doing it a bit more to burn more calories.

I didn't say I was aiming for anything, just telling people my story like other people on this thread. Of course I'm not planning to lose wieght right now that would be silly but I'm keeping my intake healthy. It's all I can do presently. Seriously, I do not need to wiegh down my books and files more. My bag is heavier than all the stuff I carried for the DoE trip.

I used to be fat then I exercised.
Now Im not fat simple as that.

It always amazes me when people automatically assume the weight comes from obesity, or that simply visiting a gym will have any effect.

I've been told by my doctor (who generalizes a lot) that I'm on the verge of being obese cause I'm 5'10" and weigh around 190-someodd pounds. The last time I talked to him I just wanted to smack the shit outta him cause he's going on and on cause I gained a few pounds - despite the fact that I kept telling him I've been sick lately and it often causes me to gain a bit of weight cause I'm not moving around much.

Then again, I also think he's a bit nuts - all I wanted was my Diabetic medicine refilled - cause when I mentioned I hadn't been to a gym lately he's like "well what good would going to a gym do?" cause I think he has this really weird way of looking at things that kinda contradicts himself sometimes.

Anyways, despite having gone to a gym for about a year, it's done little to change my weight. There's also the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. However, at the same time it's not "firmed up my legs" or "made my belly disappear". In fact, it's done nothing at all to change my outward appearence.

You can hardly say I overeat when I don't even eat that much to begin with. Hell some days I don't eat enough.

Also, don't be knocking fat people as "unhealthy" when skinny people drop dead all the time from heart attacks, strokes, and other stuff.

A problem that I see is society tells people fat is bad and skinny is good, but it also says fat people always overeat or that big breasts are perfectly fine (despite the health issues involved with that). Because society is dictating how we perceive things such as obesity and the causes of it, many people have no idea what they're even talking about.

A person who never gains weight has no idea what it's like to be unable to lose the pounds, and their "advice" is often pointless.

GrimTuesday:
Well that was patronizing as fuck. As a fat person, I don't need someone who has no idea the sort of shit I put up with telling me that despite the fact that I'm fat, I can be successful in life, and love. I'm not some fucking pansy who needs people to tell me that I'm not shit. There is no doubt that people look at me differently due to my size, its just part of life and I'm not going to bitch about it. Being fat is not good, its unhealthy and leads to heart disease, and other potentially mortal ailments and it makes preventing these more difficult because its harder to exercise.

indeed you should feel this way, i dont want to sound like im bashing on overweight people. im kind of in the middle myself. but you sir(or ma'am) are correct. it is very patronizing and a bit offensive for someone who knows nothing about you to come out and tell you everything will be just fine. i feel the exact same way after reading this. but theres a difference between being fat and unhealthy and being fat and maintaining a good heart condition.

me for example, the rate at which my body process and stores enegry i get from foods is abnormally slow and i still execrise for an hour every day. my heart is healthy as fuck for my weight but the fact that since my rate of processing is so slow, even after i finish my exercises for the day, my body still has excess foods to process and store. this means that even if im fat, i can still remain healthy to some extent.

Being fat isn't bad, sure. It's just ugly. Those few pounds you've gained over the last months aren't cute and your girlfriend is just coping with it. When she takes time to take care of herself day after day, the least you can do is a push-up.

well... ok but what really gets under my skin is how on earth can you get fat and say it's not your fault?

It just looks expensive to fatten so I figured you need to have a pretty strong compulsion to get fat to a point where your life is in danger. It almost seems intentional.

But I read the post and these where the points I felt like addressing, of course being chubby is hardly a problem but morbid obesity... is a different level.

In my own opinion being fat is bad, I should know being a tubby fecker. Last year I had some spare money and started going to the gym, lost some weight and felt good about myself. I had confidence etc.

Now this year I can't afford it, I've eaten really unhealthly and I've put a fair part of that weight back on. My aim is to rejoin the gym (or a more expensive one now that I sadly live quite far from where I used too frequent) and loose that weight again, as I found going there made me went to eat heathly, play football etc.

So, as a fat man I consider fat bad and it's totally my own fault. I hope I have the determination to do something about it, thats the hard part.

There's nothing wrong with being overweight, there is something wrong with being obese.

At the end of the day it's a persons own choice what they do with their body, but fat people in general are the only group I constantly see moaning about it and saying it's not their fault and that people should make allowances for them.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone who could be considered overweight, but the people who think they deserve special treatment because they're too fucking lazy to do some exercise or eat less do wind me up.

Also, I feel nauseous when I see a girl who is all skin and bones, but when I see a girl walking down the street in a velour tracksuit and her gigantic disgusting gut is literally hanging out over her trousers, I consider that indecent exposure.

in western countries where food is in abundance being healthy is a show of willpower and self control, allowing your health to deteriorate is the opposite.

however this is irrelevant compared to personality. the attributes written above does not equate to someone being "likeable" people have personalities as diverse as their appearance... well at least thats what is often propagated.

the point is while the above traits are "positive" they are not exclusive to "good people" ut they are admirable qualities in a society where getting overfed is way too easy, specifically in regards to first impressions.

but if we are going to be pedantic about it than we have to define bad. as "bad" is highly subjective

The same could be said for being a smoker and even an alcoholic, provided the afflicted is not drinking to die.

Come right down to it I think everyone's an addict. Some people are addicted to violence, some to drugs (nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, THC, (your poison here), some to emotional abuse, but we all carry a habit. I like smoking and drinking coffee, but I do realize that I have monkeys on my back, regardless of legality or stigma.

TL;DR - You are in serious denial my friend.

Vault101:
snip/tuck

The thing that weirds me out about labia-plasty is how it can mess up the nerve endings. It doesn't make sense, considering that wanting to be sexually desirable certainly plays a role in things like this, and yet by getting labia-plasty, you could well be damaging your capacity for taking pleasure from sex.

It's mildly disturbing that the conclusion is that the social element in being sexually attractive is now apparently more important than the whole point of recreational sex.

People always say how unfit fat people are, but you consider a man who's 100lbs overweight, he's effectively carrying an extra 100lbs in weight every waking moment. You stick a backpack on an average guy with 100 1lb blocks of lard in it, and see how he feels at the end of the day :)

Always wondered why it doesn't sorta self regulate really, surely the heavier you are, the more effort it takes to do stuff, and then as you burn off fat it becomes easier and you're not burning so much. (I know it doesn't take into account sitting on your butt all day eating pies)

I think this has good intentions, but drops the ball on multiple points.

1. Being fat does not affect "some" of a persons health. It affects almost every single system in the body in a negative way.

2. Fat in the body is neccessary for survival. Actually being fat is not.

3. The theory that being fat doesn't stop you from doing things you love is flawed. If you enjoy physical activity, being alive long enough to do the things you love for years, and riding roller coasters, being fat can have a negative effect. Actually, being fat can affect just about everything you do, from success at work to the as stated, finding a mate.

4. Maybe this is just me, but the list of "great" fat people includes Rosie O'Donnel and Tom Arnold. It isn't helpful to the argument to include two loud mouthed no-talent hacks as examples of fat being awesome. Also, Martin Luther King Jr was not fat, overweight maybe, but not fat. John Pinette = fat. MLK Jr = overweight.

Don't get me wrong, I like the whole aspect of "don't let being fat stop you". I think that's great, but I draw the line at "be proud of being fat". A fat person should never stop trying to be healthy, and thus can't simply accept that they are fat.

As I am overweight myself, I can identify to a limited extent with those that are truly fat. I will say this, those of us who need to lose weight to become healthier, should never, ever, stop and say " wait, being fat isn't so bad, why should I bother?"

Caramel Frappe:

Note: This thread isn't focusing on just appearance or physical health so read as you wish or check out my TL;DR section in case you want a quick summary.

You mention this later on so it obviously has something to do with that.

See, people think that burning all their fat will make their lives better or feel better about themselves. Yeah being fit is good but overdoing it or constantly burning off all your fat is just as unhealthy as gaining more lipids then usual.

No, being fit feels great. It give you more energy, raises self esteem and increases your lifespan by many many years. Naturally going to far is bad, but finding the right point is actually very easy.

Look at anorexic girls- the media tries to get girls to become skinny like the models they display... When they're finally skinny like the models.. they develop physical problems mainly dealing with their heart and sometimes it even affects their mentality (seriously)

So does being fat. Seriously, both of those things are an effect of obesity.

- Santa Claus (He's mostly known all around the world.. even though he's fictional, many people adore him especially kids due to his legacy of giving joy and gifts to all and the Christmas spirit despite being fat.)

Actually, Santa Claus is real. He went around and gave gifts to the poor during the 4th century. Although that was St. Nick, according to legend Santa Clause is the same person as Saint Nick (hence the lyrics to the song 'Up on the housetop click click click, down from the chimney comes Old St. Nick)

I don't hold ill feelings towards the obese people in the world but to say that their is nothing wrong with being fat is complete idiocy. It's just plain unhealthy (I know you said this thread wasn't about health issues but you brought it up many times anyways so I am assuming that it really is, at least partially) and in many cases (NOT ALL! Don't take this out of context!) shows a plain lack of self control and poor judgement. I have been working out for the last few months now, I lost 6 pounds of body weight and gained 30 pounds on the bench press (with my increase of muscle mass the amount of body fat I have dropped would be more than 6 pounds, too) and I feel great about it. My body fat was 26% at the beginning of the year and by next week when I look and see what it is then I am hoping for 20% and by the end of my school year 15%. You are saying that fat people should be comfortable with being obese and not to sound insensitive but they shouldn't. They should not be comfortable with killing themselves. And before you call me a jerk for saying this, think about what you are saying. I am saying that you (well not necessarily YOU who is reading this, but to people who are obese) should get up, get some exercise and get in shape so you can know what its like to run around without a scooter, so that you can make it from the bottom of the stairs to the top without having to sit down for a breather, so you can dance with your children at their wedding, so you can live to see your grandchildren grow up and so you can die a content that you did everything you could to fulfill your dreams. I will admit I am no Greek God with bronzed muscles the size of cannons but I am getting in pretty good shape and I'm not giving up. I didn't think it was worth my time for a long time but I know now that it is and if you truly respected yourself you wouldn't settle for being obese, you would get up and turn your life around. Call me a jerk all you want but deep down you know I am right about this. You know you would be happier if you weren't fat, you wish you could just get rid of all your excess weight. Well, its not that easy but it is worth it. I hope someone actually does take my advice and they start to live a better life.

This topic is big and has inspired my latest work:

Yo I dont mean no disrespect

And I dont wanna be a dick

But Ive had some time to reflect

And my verdict is no fat chicks

-Holla

When it comes to relationships and the better halves, being fat is not always something that matters. I have seen girls way better looking that the fat guys they are with. I am not a douche to have a problem with that. What does bother me is usually their attitude when someone tells them what their kind of diet could bring them to. If they don't ignore it, they start getting defensive.

No. Whatever you say, you are not right, unless your problem is genetic. If you have problem with the way you look, follow a diet and starting doing some exercise.

As someone who was once fat, yes I do think being fat is bad. It makes you smell, sweat in weird places and its really hard to get with the ladies and that matters to me. I don't care if youre fat, but to say its not bad and ignore the health issues its poses is worse to me than calling some a tubby fat ass. This whole "You're you, and that's beautiful!" thing annoys me. Some people are just unattractive whether it be due to facial features, bad teeth, bad skin, whatever. Weight is something a lot(NOT ALL mind you) of people can control. Why hurt yourself by accepting it? Just my opinion.

As far as losing skills, I think an active life style is preferable, at least for me. But since this is a matter of opinion and personality I can't really sway the argument one way or the other. However skills do degrade, especially if you are or were an active person. I used to be able to dunk a basketball on a 10 foot goal no problem. Then i put on 30 lbs and couldn't do it. That was pretty much my wake up call. All of that being said, if you're fat and happy great good for you. Just don't expect my seal of approval.

End rant.

Demon ID:
In my own opinion being fat is bad, I should know being a tubby fecker. Last year I had some spare money and started going to the gym, lost some weight and felt good about myself. I had confidence etc.

Now this year I can't afford it, I've eaten really unhealthly and I've put a fair part of that weight back on. My aim is to rejoin the gym (or a more expensive one now that I sadly live quite far from where I used too frequent) and loose that weight again, as I found going there made me went to eat heathly, play football etc.

So, as a fat man I consider fat bad and it's totally my own fault. I hope I have the determination to do something about it, thats the hard part.

As a fellow fatty who lost some weight I wish you the best of luck! If I may suggest a YMCA? They generally are reasonably priced. Or perhaps a planet fitness. $30 dollar sign up fee, $10 a month. And best of all no judgement! If that's still out of reach, just go for a walk every day, or at least 3 times a week. And sit ups and pushups cost nothing and you can do them anywhere! :) Don't get discouraged and keep your head up. You can lose the weight if you keep at it!

HenrySugar:
There isn't just fat and skinny, to be honest. There are many levels in between that people don't respect. Of course, there is "skinny as a stick" and there is "fat as a whale," but I'm sure you've seen these people. You know I am referring to the people who never eat compared to the people who never move. However, a lesson we all learn and have trouble accepting early in life is = are you happy with yourself, how you look, and who you are?

Be proud of who you are and what you are and how you look.
If not, then change it. People are truly capable of change.

No, it is not a bad thing being fat or skinny.
It is, however, a bad thing that we judge them as I have in this post.

You. I like you.

I like the idea of not judging people, since we have no knowledge of their circumstances, or what their life is like. If we don't have this knowledge (in full) it is inappropriate to attempt to judge them. In a perfect world, being fat would be bad. When we get there, let me know.

Alright, just to clarify, when I say "fat", I mean REALLY fat, the kind that has you take 2 cinema chairs for yourself alone.

I really don't mind if someone's chubby, heavy, anything like that..
But when you take two seats on the bus, breathe loudly and heavily after a 20 meter walk, sweat like crazy and stink up the place without even doing anything, and break chairs that you sit on, THAT is when we have a problem.
Don't think that all the people who encourage you to do workouts and lose weight do it for your sake, they also do it because if you're absurdly fat, it can be uncomfortable to be around you. It's just the truth, as much as it can hurt. I'm talking ridiculously obese here, not a round belly. Nobody cares if you have a bit of a potbelly.

Nonsense. I'm in therapy for about 5 years now and have been in a psychiatric hospital for 8 months. Once you manage to fight the depression to a state where you're feeling a lot better, you're just gonna look back and laugh. Feel free to say that I'm a liar, I hope you'll remember this post in the future when you feel much better, so you can laugh once more.

Being fat is unhealthy. Therefore its bad. It isn't the fact that fat people can't do great things, its the fat that its bad for the body that makes fat bad

Gluttony is a deadly sin for a reason, that shit will kill you!

Right, when I saw this thread I was sort of bemused and then having read it I'm thinking that it's completely ridiculous. Yes, we need fat in our diet, about 30% of our energy is gained from fat, and 70% sugars, but having an excess of fat, meaning more than about 5-10% body fat, being generous, is too much. As much as this could lead to heart problems and an increased risk of cancer. Actually, just watch these two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgnbRK8pij8&feature=g-u-u&context=G2bf3457FUAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_536328&v=kp1bZEUgqVI&src_vid=VgnbRK8pij8&feature=iv

they explain why being fat is not only bad for the person who is fat, but also for future generations.

Gluzzbung:
but having an excess of fat, meaning more than about 5-10% body fat, being generous, is too much.

You're right about the stuff in your post, but those numbers are way off. For women, even your highest number of 10 is below the absolute minimum to be healthy.

Google up a page about it with different numbers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

Being fat isn't a problem unless you complain about it. If you do, shut your mouth and get on the treadmill.

Other than that I don't really care. I should be fat as all hell since I don't ever do anything, but somehow I'm not. I have a couple fat friends too and they don't complain about it.

Also, mentioning Rosie O'Donnell won't get you any brownie points because she's worthless as a human being. Everyone on the View is. Including Whoopie.

Hiroshi Mishima:

Also, don't be knocking fat people as "unhealthy" when skinny people drop dead all the time from heart attacks, strokes, and other stuff.

Dont call smoking dangerous, loads of people die from lung cancer without smoking. Dont call extreme snake licking dangerous either. Loads of people die from snakebites without licking a snakes face. That logic is flawed. Very much so. Its unhealthy.

As a postgrad studying for my masters in the field of pediatric obesity I am pretty well versed in the health risks of obesity. The really scary thing that people seem to always forget is that eating can be addictive in the same way as alcohol or drugs.

Most serious alcoholics start social drinking and progress to a dangerous level of dependency. through huge personal sacrifice and work they try and kick the habit. it's a huge achievement for recovering alcoholics to say 'I've been a year dry'.

the same cannot be said for food addiction.despite the best laid plans to diet people need food to live, you can't stop eating cold turkey. it's akin to saying to an alcoholic that every day they must have 1 beer just to keep them healthy. it would drive them insane and is the principal reason dieting fails, people can't adjust their long term eating patters.

it is often said that losing weight is easy, it is keeping it off that is hard. so no i dont judge fat people for their decisions and i really pity them because not only are the health risks enormous but the bigger they are the harder they will have to work to lose the weight.

I live in America, fat people are common and often people don't even notice it anymore unless they are morbidly obese, then it is an issue because it is extremely unhealthy and gets in the way of everyday life.

GrimTuesday:
Well that was patronizing as fuck.

HAHA my thoughts as well. The original post was obviously written by a child.

And yes, there are different body types out there, and some people are genetically predisposed to having a higher or lower body fat percentage/composition. That's no excuse for the blubber-tards I see waddling about with a KFC bucket in one hand and a loaded Cold Stone Creamery waffle cone in the other, or the "Costco Casualties" I see laboriously pushing a pallet cart full of processed "food" laden with excess salt and sugar. I honestly hate the appearance of obese people (not the people themselves), and find the site of them offensive. I find their lack of respect for their bodies offensive. Mind you, I'm not talking about your every-day chubby individual.

Barring a debilitating injury or illness which has prevented a person from taking care of themselves physically through exercise, I have very little respect for someone who just "lets themselves go" like that. I do recognize that many obese adults were once obese children, and were simply raised poorly and never had the opportunity as kids to learn how to enjoy eating healthfully and exercising.

Fat parents raising their fat kids to be fat adolescents should be prosecuted for child endangerment/neglect/abuse.

All this ranting aside, I don't like super skinny girls; it's much nicer if they have a little bit of that healthy fat on their bodies.

By itself, being fat doesn't make one any less of a good person. But if I see someone eating or buying huge quantities of horrendously bad "food," I can only shake my head in disgust of their ignorance and the burden they will inevitably place on our health-care system.

Bradeck:
If people who advocate fatness on this thread went to the gym, and got on the treadmill, instead of arguing in this forum, perhaps there would be less excuses for being fat.

I myself used to weigh a ripped 220, at 6'3" (Which the Army considered overweight). When I was in the army. Then I got out, and without the constant exercise and proper diet, I ballooned up to 320 (which doctors consider morbidly obese). I didn't blame genes, I didn't blame the media, I didn't blame the butterfly effect, and I didn't make up bullshit excuses. I over ate, and sat around on my fat ass playing video games and working a desk job.

Now I am at the gym 6 days a week, for an hour at least each time, and I am on a balanced diet. No Soda, no sweets, no beer, more salad, more vegetables, and more shitty tasting food. However, in the 2 months I've been on this journey, I've lost 20 lbs. I am just now starting to run 5ks for charity again. I feel great.

So long story short, go outside and talk a walk fatties. There is no excuse for being fat. You sound like my alcoholic friend telling me it's a disease. No, Cancer is a disease. You just can't stop drinking/eating, because you have no will power.

EDIT: And another thing! Whats wrong with someone choosing to be fat you ask? Because my taxes go up and I have to pay for you're heart disease meds, your diabetes meds, and you're special needs from the hospitals. Being fat is not a personal decision, you're choice affects my wallet.

THANK YOU.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked