Can't we all get along?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

No one is currently in favour of just chatting, loling or being nice to each other. People seem to just want to start flame wars, or get angry, or troll. What happened, guys? did we all hear one to many "cake is a lie" or "arrow in the knee" jokes/references?

Yeah it'd be lovely if we could all be nice to each other!

Its not really a phenomenon you find only on The Escapist, the internet in general tend to be quite rude and nasty to each other, which I find strange because you don't act like that in real life due to social norms of what's acceptable behaviour. Maybe its because on the internet your mother isn't here to slap your ears whenever you swear coupled with emotions being difficult to portray on text.... well apart from anger, anger seems easy for the masses to translate in text based communication. YOU KNOW WHAT I FUCKING MEAN RIGHT?

User was banned for this post. (For giggles) -TimeLord ;)

DigitalSushi:

Its not really a phenomenon you find only on The Escapist, the internet in general tend to be quite rude and nasty to each other, which I find strange because you don't act like that in real life due to social norms of what's acceptable behaviour. Maybe its because on the internet your mother isn't here to slap your ears whenever you swear coupled with emotions being difficult to portray on text.... well apart from anger, anger seems easy for the masses to translate in text based communication. YOU KNOW WHAT I FUCKING MEAN RIGHT?

The sad part is that the Escapist is generally a more nice and welcoming community compared to most others on the internet. :(

Fappy:

The sad part is that the Escapist is generally a more nice and welcoming community compared to most others on the internet. :(

It'd be foolish, biased and blind of me to say we are the bestest!, The Escapist community is generally pretty cool we do have our bad days (weeks!) but in general the user's here are really nice and welcoming.

I always use this thread as an example of how nice we can be! :D
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.299902-The-Gayscapist-Escapist-community#11928279
You'll notice some veterans and Sky, Nas and myself dicking about having fun with the newbies

What I don't understand is both on Online Gaming and the Net how some people get these knee jerk vitriolic reactions, you don't act like that in real life! WHY ONLINE?

Example;
*gets shot on Call of Duty: Dead Horse*, "YOU FUCKING DICK LAG SWITCHING CUNT, etc. etc."
*gets shot in a Paintball round*, "shit guys, I'm hit, I'm out"

and getting hit in Paintball can really sting, it doesn't hurt per say but it fucking smarts, and you don't start bitching to the guy!

I find that this website is better than most, there seem to only be a few people who I think [REDACTED] and most are pretty literate.

Besides, do you not have fun when you get into a great debate with someone with another viewpoint. I do until they start with "OMG STFU FAG U SMELL" then it's a bit hard to take them seriously.

DigitalSushi:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.299902-The-Gayscapist-Escapist-community#11928279
You'll notice some veterans and Sky, Nas and myself dicking about having fun with the newbies

"Gayscapist thread"
"dicking about"

Hee hee, I'm immature :D

DigitalSushi:

Fappy:

It'd be foolish, biased and blind of me to say we are the bestest!, The Escapist community is generally pretty cool we do have our bad days (weeks!) but in general the user's here are really nice and welcoming.

What I don't understand is both on Online Gaming and the Net how some people get these knee jerk vitriolic reactions, you don't act like that in real life! WHY ONLINE?

Example;
*gets shot on Call of Duty: Dead Horse*, "YOU FUCKING DICK LAG SWITCHING CUNT, etc. etc."
*gets shot in a Paintball round*, "shit guys, I'm hit, I'm out"

and getting hit in Paintball can really sting, it doesn't hurt per say but it fucking smarts, and you don't start bitching to the guy!

To be fair, I think screaming and cursing in video games (online or otherwise) is just a natural aspect of life. Even when not online I throw obscenities everywhere when I am losing a game. My best friend once said, "I don't think anyone has ever cursed that much while playing Diddy Kong Racing". He was probably right!

Fappy:

DigitalSushi:

I wouldn't say that exactly...the community here seems more reasonable and rational (if somewhat silly at times) than anything. Granted those traits usually go against high aggressiveness. I personally think that Yahtzee would be a good mascot for the community. Can be a bit...psychotic and unstable at times...but otherwise a cool person that doesn't afraid o--*smack*...sorry. Maybe I just don't frequent the right places here. :P

Fappy:

To be fair, I think screaming and cursing in video games (online or otherwise) is just a natural aspect of life. Even when not online I throw obscenities everywhere when I am losing a game. My best friend once said, "I don't think anyone has ever cursed that much while playing Diddy Kong Racing". He was probably right!

I bet your family dread get together's, a simple game of Scrabble turning bloody!

DigitalSushi:

Fappy:

I bet your family dread get together's, a simple game of Scrabble turning bloody!

Well... there was this one time where I went first and put down the word "Penis". Good thing my family is a bunch of perverts who love potty humor :P

The Escapist can get very uptight about the little things.

The status quo is very silly I know.

Fappy:

Well... there was this one time where I went first and put down the word "Penis". Good thing my family is a bunch of perverts who love potty humor :P

LOL, I managed "Chode" once, in order to get the points I had to tell my Aunt what it meant.

I'm not in her will any more.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just a pity most people's are wrong, so I take it upon myself to correct them.

But, anger and flame wars aren't exclusive to The Escapist. All over the internet, very few people seem tolerant of each other.

I've found the Escapist to be one of the nicer communities I've visited, too. I think that no matter how good their intentions, everyone can have a bad day.. but, bad days here seem generally less aggressive than some other places I've been.

Fappy:

While about half the gamers I know agree with you, they're the half that I avoid playing games with at all costs because it's not even a little fun for me to try to play a game with someone screaming curses and ragequitting when they get behind/they lose. I definitely understand getting irritated about things (because video games are lying, cheating, soul-stealing asshats all too often!), but it seems like such a waste of energy to get so worked up about it to me. Your mileage obviously varies.

The Escapist forums are like a bunch of little kids playing house; everyone makes up rules, and the game is to follow them. If someone doesn't like the unwritten, socially-decreed rules, then someone screams and whines until they get their way.

It's silly. I wonder why there aren't more trolls than there already are here...

requisitename:
I've found the Escapist to be one of the nicer communities I've visited, too. I think that no matter how good their intentions, everyone can have a bad day.. but, bad days here seem generally less aggressive than some other places I've been.

Fappy:

While about half the gamers I know agree with you, they're the half that I avoid playing games with at all costs because it's not even a little fun for me to try to play a game with someone screaming curses and ragequitting when they get behind/they lose. I definitely understand getting irritated about things (because video games are lying, cheating, soul-stealing asshats all too often!), but it seems like such a waste of energy to get so worked up about it to me. Your mileage obviously varies.

I may be in the minority here, but when I yell and scream it is usually all in good fun. I never rage quit and once the match is over with none of the negative feelings linger. Its almost therapeutic to release the rage that way :P

DigitalSushi:

Fappy:

LOL, I managed "Chode" once, in order to get the points I had to tell my Aunt what it meant.

I'm not in her will any more.

Totally worth it in my opinion.

Also: My sister connected the last "s" in the word "Jesus" to "Penis". We found it too funny to enforce the name rule.

Fappy:

requisitename:

Fappy:

I may be in the minority here, but when I yell and scream it is usually all in good fun. I never rage quit and once the match is over with none of the negative feelings linger. Its almost therapeutic to release the rage that way :P

Ah, that's not so bad, then. :-) It would still make me uncomfortable, but I could probably deal with it. I have a serious aversion to people who yell or act aggressively when they're angry about something.

To the OP: See? We can all get along! *lol*

requisitename:

Fappy:

requisitename:

Ah, that's not so bad, then. :-) It would still make me uncomfortable, but I could probably deal with it. I have a serious aversion to people who yell or act aggressively when they're angry about something.

To the OP: See? We can all get along! *lol*

I can get competitive at times, but I generally take out all my anger on computer players. In a war pitting us against a robot uprising I would be the first to answer the call and bad-mouth the COMPs into oblivion.

I wish!
Although it'd be kinda boring if we all agreed and got on. No one else loves watching a massive flame war erupt? I like hearing the neighbours argue in the garden too :D

That sounds like the words of a communist.... GET HIM BOYS!!

Remember when we were all super fun guys who debated nicely and had wonderful conversations that all ended nicely and without flame wars? Me neither. The Escapist is pretty much how its always been. Hell don't you remember before the religion and politics forum when all those flame wars were in off-topic?

DigitalSushi:

Oh man, I remember that! xD Good times....

I try and be nice to everyone here, I probably use too many emoticons though. That can annoy some people.

In the beginning of the Internet, the users were at peace with each other. And then Superman 64 happened, and so utter was its wickedness that the revulsion of it spread throughout the Internet, and the users were driven mad, and their hearts were corrupted, and their minds turned to darkness. Now, the users are susceptible to sudden fits of rage that have no apparent source, and they war with each other on the slightest pretexts, and the reach of the shadow is spreading.

Soon all will come to darkness. And allcaps.

Forums were originally established as a medium for debate. Debates are no fun if we all get along. Also, there's plenty of friendliness in these forums. Sure, it's not common, but it is there. Look at Daystar's food posts. I hate the brit for making me so goddam hungry(the pancake thread almost killed me, I swear. All that sweet, deliciousness...), but the threads are all in good fun.

wintercoat:
Forums were originally established as a medium for debate.

Were not!
...wait.. dammit..

I definitely agree that the forum setup leads to more misunderstandings than in real life, although that may be the fault of text's blank tonality as much as actual rudeness.

I've always thought it would be cool to get a group of people from a decent community like this one and try a voice conversation type of thing. Even the addition of voice with a name helps remove the interpersonal barrier of the internet. I'm not exactly sure how that would be set up though. :(

I have no interest in normal social interaction over the internet, I get enough of that in real life. For that reason, I am a troll by nature, I am unable to take anything seriously on the internet.

Though, I try to be a positive force if I can help it, I like making people laugh. All of my most famous exploits were purely for the sake of humour.

I don't want everyone to agree on everything, but can't we all be optimistic and understanding instead of being a dick? The more we post the angrier and more aggressive we seem to get and vice versa. I said it once and I'll say it again, everyone is so gosh darn serious it renders posting no fun. Plus we seem to never talk to eachother unless we're arguing. I see threads like ;"best opening" and stuff and nobody even so much as gives an ;"Oh yeah that was sweet, I liked.. Though." All we do is post something that nobody reads or cares about.

Didn't you see my 'Worst Ghibi/Miyazaki movie' thread?

It's full of people being overly humble and kind, having a hard time saying anything negative or bad ; )

There are plenty of threads/post that don't have the whole teen angst rage against the machine thing goin on.

I just chat, lol, and be nice in some threads and with some people.

In other threads I'm going to be more aggressive because I don't really care for some of the opinions that pop up. Particularly bigoted ones. That kind of thing doesn't deserve respect. It gets the bare minimum required.

RedBird:
No one is currently in favour of just chatting, loling or being nice to each other. People seem to just want to start flame wars, or get angry, or troll. What happened, guys? did we all hear one to many "cake is a lie" or "arrow in the knee" jokes/references?

Anyone who ever says "Can't we all just get along?" needs to be locked in a room with either a zealous creationist for an hour and be forced to hold a conversation with them. If you aren't an atheist, then you need to be locked in a room with a militant atheist who has read everything written by Stephen Hawking while understanding less than half of it, and be forced to hold a conversation with them.

At the end of the hour, SOMEONE is going to be charged with first degree murder.

Sober Thal:

I still think it was kinda schizophrenic, the posters seemed to confound Ghibli's production with Miyazaki's filmography. And i remember a troll making ur mama's jokes, which actually your post above is begging for, but he shall contain himself this time.

OT: I honestly prefer chaos over hugs and tea, but interesting chaos weaving new patterns in ideas and concepts. That's why... i dunno, will never promote us to get along, but will also get away from useless threads filled with people that can't comprehend other opinions.

Edit: Also, a carebear thread and Caramel Frappe is not here! What happened 2 him? He was impressively nice (in both the best and the worst senses of the word).

My answer to every question like this:

Best explanation of Internet behavior I've ever seen.

eh?

I havnt noticed....other than "its the internet'

other than the expected Mass effect 3 greifing its all ok

Tanakh:

Sober Thal:

I still think it was kinda schizophrenic, the posters seemed to confound Ghibli's production with Miyazaki's filmography. And i remember a troll making ur mama's jokes, which actually your post above is begging for, but he shall contain himself this time.

Actually, just saying: 'That's what your mama said', isn't really a joke. Not sure why you would be calling yourself a troll, but hey, if that's how ya feel, I guess I'll allow it.

Trust me, The Escapist is probably as good as it gets as far as online gaming communities go.
At least most people here have the common sense and courtesy to be polite (most of the time) and avoid blatant uses of those words you so commonly hear spouted on Xbox Live...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked