Star Wars: Darth Maul's back.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yep. In the upcoming four-part finale to Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 4, everyone's favourite dual-bladed lightsaber wielder returns.

Personally, I can't wait.
I love the new Clone Wars series, I have high expectations that it will be amazing, and will flesh him out much more.
However, I worry that he's already been overshadowed by his brother Savage Opress, who has already has been given a story, and, in my opinion, is even more badass than Maul. He killed two Jedi, with no experience in fighting lightsaber-wielders, with only an axe.

Your thoughts, Escapist?
I'm curious, as it seems that most comments related to Episode 1 being re-released in 3D mention Darth Maul and his fantastic dual as being the best thing about The Phantom Menace.

I could never get into Clone Wars. The eb and flow of the conflict is ultimately dictated by Palpatine, it's a war between disposable people and disposable robots so...yeah...really nothing at stake.

My thoughts? Well, I was largely against it UNTIL I saw the last scene in there. It looked like Maul was using prostetics from the waist down. So I can let go a lot of the clone/resurrection/other Dues Ex bullshit that star wars USUALLY pulls out to explain a character coming back(Looking at you, FOrce Unleashed). So with a believable meathod of him returning, I'm actually all for it. let's see how Obi Wan handles the SECOND encounter with him.

Also, assij being dropped by Dooku was one of the best things they could have done for her character development. They're fleshing her out considerably more now, and that's a good thing.

*Sigh*

It's the Boba Fett survives/cloned Palpatine fan-wank all over again, except this one makes even less sense. The dude was cut in half, for Pete's sake. They never went to such silly extremes to keep characters alive back in my day-
...oh...

Darth Maul's just too marketable of a character to be kept in the grave, I guess. If fans of the show like it, then good for them. Personally, I'll stick with him dying on Naboo. It's not the first time I've disregarded Star Wars "canon," and it certainly won't be the last.

Just no.
This happened in the comics once as a what-if and that's all it should be. The "Hey, a Half-Robot Darth Maul!" cool-ness will wear off after a few minutes and you'll realize how stupid it is.

Besides, the Clone Wars cartoon just does so many things wrong. It exaggerates so much and godamnit Assaj Ventress had a great death/defeat in the original Clone Wars cartoon, why did they have to bring her back in this one?

This series is just cheesy and poorly written, never got into it.

This amuses me though. Makes me think that in a few years time there'll be dozens of people complaining that Lucas is ruining the classic prequel trilogy.

There's a guy called Savage Opress...urgh, also didn't this already happen in a comic or story or something? It doesn't seem new.

To be fair, the guy was killed off before he could have any real character development. So he could have a retconned personality that would benefit The Phantom Menace.

I had always have a low opinion toward the show and as typical it does look cool (the only good thing about the show are the battles).

Wow I never expect that Savage Opress will actually found him since I thought it was just a wild goose chase (I mean leave it open ended fate like Raven before TOR).
Well it look like this isn't a clone of Maul as he clearly got himself a new pair of robot legs.
Sure this will bring some depth to the once a few liners character but when the heck was he that much of a threat?

Still despite how excited the episodes will be, it will all be for nought. Either Mual and Opress get killed off or disappear seeing how they had never appear again in post clone war story (Episode 3).

ShadowKatt:

Also, assij being dropped by Dooku was one of the best things they could have done for her character development. They're fleshing her out considerably more now, and that's a good thing.

I agree, the series needed a change in the ranks and Assajj's side switching's been great to watch.

Neverhoodian:
The dude was cut in half, for Pete's sake.

I really don't think it's that bad at all. A lightsaber cauterizes wounds, so he wouldn't have bled to death, he didn't lose any vital organs bar his genitals (I still wonder how cyber-Maul goes to the toilet, but anyway), and for all we know there could have been a giant trampoline at the bottom of that tunnel he fell down.
That, and the fact that he is fuelled by the Dark Side for wanting revenge on Obi-Wan, I really don't think it's that far of a stretch.
Stranger things have happened in Star Wars, in both trilogies. Obi-Wan vanishes as he dies, and Darth Vader is left limbless and literally on fire before he is rescued. I don't know about you, but I think those are pretty damn important to the canon, and, without some explanation related to the Force, equally ridiculous.

Thespian:
Just no.
This happened in the comics once as a what-if and that's all it should be. The "Hey, a Half-Robot Darth Maul!" cool-ness will wear off after a few minutes and you'll realize how stupid it is.

Besides, the Clone Wars cartoon just does so many things wrong. It exaggerates so much and godamnit Assaj Ventress had a great death/defeat in the original Clone Wars cartoon, why did they have to bring her back in this one?

This series is just cheesy and poorly written, never got into it.

This amuses me though. Makes me think that in a few years time there'll be dozens of people complaining that Lucas is ruining the classic prequel trilogy.

I disagree with a lot of that post, I think it is well written, particularly Anakin is a vast improvement over the prequels.
But yeah, I have to agree with what you said about people complaining. Star Wars fans have to complain about everything, even this, something in a show most probably don't watch relating to a film they mostly hate with a character who was never developed. Why people suddenly give a shit that it's 'ruining Ep 1 showing him as dead' is beyond me.
This isn't applying to everyone, just as a note, but it does happen.

Captain Pirate:
I disagree with a lot of that post, I think it is well written, particularly Anakin is a vast improvement over the prequels.

Saying that something is "a vast improvement over Anakin's character in the prequels" is like saying a meal tasted considerably better than a plate of human feces.

Sorry, but the writing is only there to tie the show in to selling more merchandise. I totally understand your infatuation with the visual effects and vibrant worlds of Star Wars, but there are so many inconsistencies, liberties, bad tropes and also an abundant lack of creativity.

I don't think Darth Maul's return is bad because it's inconsistent with a Phantom Menace (that film made a mistake by killing off such a cool and enigmatic character, much like Boba Fett) - I think it's bad because it's unoriginal and shoe-horning in an improbable and forced character return in timing with the 3D release to move merchandise.

It's the animation equivalent of a video-game rushed out as a movie tie-in.

People take children's shows too seriously. Especially crappy spin-offs.

senordesol:
I could never get into Clone Wars. The eb and flow of the conflict is ultimately dictated by Palpatine, it's a war between disposable people and disposable robots so...yeah...really nothing at stake.

Sums up exactly why the Clone Wars is the most boring and pointless of the Star Wars eras.

Thespian:

Captain Pirate:

Saying that something is "a vast improvement over Anakin's character in the prequels" is like saying a meal tasted considerably better than a plate of human feces.

Sorry, but the writing is only there to tie the show in to selling more merchandise. I totally understand your infatuation with the visual effects and vibrant worlds of Star Wars, but there are so many inconsistencies, liberties, bad tropes and also an abundant lack of creativity.

I don't think Darth Maul's return is bad because it's inconsistent with a Phantom Menace (that film made a mistake by killing off such a cool and enigmatic character, much like Boba Fett) - I think it's bad because it's unoriginal and shoe-horning in an improbable and forced character return in timing with the 3D release to move merchandise.

It's the animation equivalent of a video-game rushed out as a movie tie-in.

Again, I disagree, but it's a matter of opinion I guess.

And I don't think it's down to lack of creativity at all, otherwise Darth Maul would have made a comeback long ago. Instead they've given nearly 4 seasons of mostly new characters and events. Personally I think they've done well to resist shoving him awkwardly into something for this long. If they were going to bring him back, I can't think of many better ways to do it than this.

Maul is an intimidating character...having him walk around on metal legs is bad, just not as awesome. I just wonder if they are going to REALLY kill him.

As for the show itself, I don't mind it. It has some cool animation, a different art style and it is about Star Wars. There are worse thing's to be watched.

I was curious what one could possibly want to talk about regarding that man's back. I was disappointed. Personally I see the horned satan figure and wonder aloud whether he could be a little less subtle seeing how this is a kid's film.

Perhaps he could wear a nametag marked "Dastardly villain" in front of his name, maybe stand around in front of a castle being struck by lighting during a thunderstorm and laugh maniacally while strangling a baby to emphasize that he is evil. Or do a session in the galactic senate where he defrauds the republic by exploiting tax-loopholes? I'm sure they could squeeze it into the main title crawl. Darth Maul, Dastardly Villain, part of the 1%.

What's his bedfellow named again? Savage Opress? ... Do I even have to say anything? Captain Planet was less condescending than this.

I don't have a problem with Maul's return. Hell, they made a comic where a clone of Maul fought Darth Vader, and it was awesome.

What bothers me is the way that Maul was brought back. In The Clone Wars, Maul is apparently going to be attached to robotic spider legs, having survived his bisection by Obi Wan.

This just doesn't sit well with me. The Cloning of Maul from the comics worked, because it could be seen as a resurrection of sorts. With this, Maul literally survived being sliced in half and thrown down a mile deep reactor core.

That doesn't make his character badass, it makes it feel forced. It also has the unfortunate effect of cheapening Qui Gon's death. So, Qui-Gon goes down from a single stab wound, but Maul can survive major blood loss, no legs, and splattering across the bottom of a reactor?

Captain Pirate:
-snip-

Well, you do make some convincing points. I find the show a tad superficial. Maybe the later episodes are better though, I probably haven't seen them.
Difference of opinion as you said, however.

Out of interest have you seen the original, Genndy Tartakovsky 2D Clone Wars? It's a great, though short series. You'd probably enjoy it. Though you've probably seen it.

Neverhoodian:

Darth Maul's just too marketable of a character to be kept in the grave, I guess. If fans of the show like it, then good for them. Personally, I'll stick with him dying on Naboo. It's not the first time I've disregarded Star Wars "canon," and it certainly won't be the last.

It's not really canon anyway. According to Lucas the only thing that is canon are the 6 movies. Everything else is "possible alternate universes"

Kendarik:

Neverhoodian:

It's not really canon anyway. According to Lucas the only thing that is canon are the 6 movies. Everything else is "possible alternate universes"

Some of them are more "possible" than others, though, and a lot of EU stuff was worked into the prequels. For that matter, The Force Unleashed is considered movie level canon. Anyway, there's different levels of canon, with the top two being Movie level (self explanatory, only what we see on screen) and G-level (word of god, or more accurately, stuff Lucas has gone on record about), and the bottom level being completely non-canon. There's varying levels in between, and there's a huge database at Lucasfilm to keep it all straight.

OT: As long as this makes the comic where Uncle Owen kills Darth Maul with a blaster canon, I'm all for it. If you've never heard of that, look it up; the Clone Wars team aren't the first ones to come up with the idea of a Darth Maul that's a robot from the waist down.

I liked the CGI Clone Wars show when it first came out (There were actually some good episodes, like Rookies) but after awhile it's really grated on me. It just seems like they're piddling about and not actually taking the story in any interesting directions. Lots of story arcs and multi-part episodes, but it all feels so pointless since everything is a forgone conclusion. If they introduced some new characters, separate from most of the pre-existing characters and gave them their own plotline that wasn't directly related to the Jedi, I think that would be pretty cool. They might have already done this though, I only catch an episode of it every so often. I know they did that with some of the clones, but it's hard to care about them, even if they do try to make them likable.

Admittedly, the shows gone on for like 4 seasons, and I don't suppose they really had any plans on where to take it as far as plotlines go from the start, but I'm still waiting for pretty much all of the characters introduced through the show that weren't involved in Episode 3 or a later part of the series (Rex, Ahsoka) to either die or be put on a bus.

I'm not that much of a fan of Star Wars to really care, but the show feels like such wasted potential.

Star Wars always been kind of a silly series, I don't think Darth Maul coming back is too big of a stretch. I mean, in expanded canon, Boba Fett managed to escape the Sarlacc.

Owyn_Merrilin:
OT: As long as this makes the comic where Uncle Owen kills Darth Maul with a blaster canon, I'm all for it. If you've never heard of that, look it up; the Clone Wars team aren't the first ones to come up with the idea of a Darth Maul that's a robot from the waist down.

I thought that's what happened, but I wasn't sure. I also remember seeing a Darth Maul model for Star Wars: Jedi Academy with a cybernetic lower half. It was released in 2007.

The voice actor is all I need to be happy for this.

Don Savik:
The voice actor is all I need to be happy for this.

And so they get Sam Witwer? The guy is a terrible voice actor. Every character sounds like their testicles are in a vice grip. His only good voice acting was Palpatine in Force Unleashed, which in comparison to his Starkiller voice was goddamned fantastic.

oh my dear jesus christ lord and savior who hunts vampires while wearing sunglasses.....this shit just got more real than anything else ever.

Thats... pretty cool, maybe they'll finally give him character depth aside from Badass with a double bladed lightsaber.

Ok, can people make up there mind whether this CG mess is actually any good or not? I watched some eps (five in total) of the first season, and i only really liked one of them: The one with the clone traitor, partly because it dived into the Clone psychology and how...quite literally all they have is each-other, and overall a well done ep. The rest were not very good in my opinion. The movie was terrible, and what they did to Grievous, the cyborg who took down three jedi council members with ease and lead the invasion of Curoscant (I gave Episode 3 a pass because, frankly, at that point the guy had his lungs crushed...that would have impeded anyones abilities) was nothing short of unforgivable. Did this series actually get good at some point? If so please tell me from which point on.

Neverhoodian:
*Sigh*

It's the Boba Fett survives/cloned Palpatine fan-wank all over again, except this one makes even less sense.

I'm one of the few people who defended the Boba fett survival aren't i? Literally it was explained alright, and even then from what i saw it wasn't exactly an easy feat for him to pull off either.

I agree on the Palpatine thing though...that was just total shit and made Vaders final Sacrifice seem absolutely freaking pointless (And, along with FU2, is why i officially hate Cloned force sensitives).

OT: I'm not sure bringing him back is the right choice to be honest. He didn't have much development, true, but his death was pretty much a certain one in my eyes. Bringing him back just feels a bit cheap to me.

Haaa.... Yay more "STARWURZ PEWUELS SUCKSSSS FUCK JAR JAR THE STUPID FUCK!" When Luke felt like watching a mutil- Sorry going off on a tangent there.

I will watch this for the sheer nostalgia factor it will bring me, Grew up with the prequels and I love seeing anything that adds on to the lore behind it.

Meh, pass. Star Wars was great for me earlier in life but I'll save my money for other things. Not that I hate Star Wars now or anything, I just don't follow the new stuff.

If it turns out amazing I might look into it later on but yeah.

Captain Pirate:
Yep. In the upcoming four-part finale to Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 4, everyone's favourite dual-bladed lightsaber wielder returns.

What the hell? In Episode 1 he never talked, that was a bad thing since it was never clarified why he's so determined to do what he was doing anyway, now he's been given a W40k makeover. They should've kept him replacing Count Dooku, you know that Sith that nobody gave a shit about because he was that uninteresting (oh my lightsaber is curved! I'm so bad ass).

Oh yah and the comics beat this thing to the punch like a decade ago, hell they even had one where Darth Maul fights Darth Vader. Then when he did talk it was always in only the most necessarily evil way, not every chance he gets with a high pitch voice. Of course now all that Nu-Metal Goth wave is gone and now only new kids remains to market Darth Maul to so I guess it makes some sense.

Captain Pirate:

I'm curious, as it seems that most comments related to Episode 1 being re-released in 3D mention Darth Maul and his fantastic dual as being the best thing about The Phantom Menace.

I knew there was something wrong when I saw that Brisk commercial and he had the most retarded voice ever

Captain Pirate:

I love the new Clone Wars series, I have high expectations that it will be amazing, and will flesh him out much more.
However, I worry that he's already been overshadowed by his brother Savage Opress, who has already has been given a story, and, in my opinion, is even more badass than Maul. He killed two Jedi, with no experience in fighting lightsaber-wielders, with only an axe.

Erm Jango Fett killed 20 with his bare hands, that's something right?

senordesol:

I have to ditto this as well. It's kind of hard to care when the heroes are going to have zero impact no matter what they do.

As for Darth Maul's resurrection... *facepalm* How does this work, exactly? Is he still alive after being chopped and two and splattered after falling a couple dozen stories onto either solid metal or incinerating energy beams? And then he drags the good half of his body to a ship, takes it over, and flies away without (somehow) losing all his blood or attracting attention? Didn't the Jedi go down there to try and do some forensics? And where did he go, if not back to Palpatine to get fixed up? How long was he missing everything from the waist down? The plot holes abound.

Warforger:

Captain Pirate:

Erm Jango Fett killed 20 with his bare hands, that's something right?

I have to snerk at this. I guess the Jedi weren't everything they were cracked up to be, huh? I'm starting to think that even I could take them on. They've gone from being masters of the mysterious to generic mooks with swords.

My thoughts is that it's really difficult to care about Star Wars at all these days.

I can't wait to see how they bullshit a way for him to miraculously survive being cut in half and falling down a large vertical shaft who's bottom was at least several hundred feet down.

Wait...what? But...his epic defeat by awesome soundtrack at the end makes Phantom Menace worth skipping through! And I liked him better silently cutting down Jedi masters. Not that I'm big into the SW universe, mind, but I stick to what I know.

Redlin5:
Meh, pass. Star Wars was great for me earlier in life but I'll save my money for other things. Not that I hate Star Wars now or anything, I just don't follow the new stuff.

If it turns out amazing I might look into it later on but yeah.

You just cause me to freak out with that picture. No joke, I may have just panicked so much that I needed to take a sip of beer, and remember that I haven't watched Pokemon in years. Not since, what, the third movie? Yeah. That long.

I find it hard to believe that I seem to be the only person who thinks the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars was overrated. I love me some G. T., but I don't think his style meshed well at all with the feel of Star Wars. I still liked the series, but if there is any phrase that describes it, it would be "ridiculously over-the-top." I offer the scene where Mace Windu takes down an entire ARMY of droids or pretty much any scene with Grievous as evidence of that. Those shorts just didn't feel very Star Wars-y to me.

As for this series, I consider one of the best cartoons on TV right now. It has it's ups and downs, but it's very character-driven and even characters I thought I would find annoying like Ahsoka or Jar-jar are fleshed out and unique. Plus there's Cad Bane, and that dude is just BAD ASS. I especially love the episodes that focus on the clones and their challenges and views of things. On top of that, the action scenes never exceed the movies unlike the other series, so it feels very much like Star Wars.

Oh right, as for Darth Maul coming back: Looks sweet, I'm interested in seeing how Obi-wan reacts to it. :P

Well considering that Grievous is basically a heart and eyes, I don't see how Darth Maul being half a person is a big issue.
I haven't been interested in this show before, or any expanded Star Wars universe but maybe it has something nifty to offer.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked