Reality

I just had a dream where it felt extremely real. So I ask my fellow escapist, Is reality a dream, or are they one in the same? Is "Reality" nothing more than a dream fabricated by the true us that has been sleeping since birth to learn and feel emotions for when we awake? And if so, then if we "Die" or awake early, are we able to do nothing? And if we do "Die" or awake after a full dream are we able to process all that has been learned and felt all at once?

Your thoughts?

haha watched inception lately?

The whole "reality is a dream" idea seems a little silly :P
If we were to run along with your story then how do we wake up? is death the only solution? I recall people could leave normal dreams peacefully so why can't we leave this one?

Reality is a bunch of neurons communicating to each other and chemical reactions going off simultaneously.

Or at least from a computer's point of view; 010

Regardless, Taken from Ghost in a Shell. Once were are able "read" or digitise the brain and it's memory, what ever it may contain will be henceforth worthless as it's easily replicated making our experiences in reality just another drop in the bucket.

Long story short, the reason why we question "what is Reality?" is because our memories have value and we question that value.

Keoul:
haha watched inception lately?

The whole "reality is a dream" idea seems a little silly :P

The idea goes, way, way, way, wa-ay before Inception.

Keoul:
If we were to run along with your story then how do we wake up? is death the only solution? I recall people could leave normal dreams peacefully so why can't we leave this one?

Who says we cannot leave it? When you dream you are (generally) not aware that you're dreaming, you do not understand that at some point the entire "reality" you're in will be swept away as you, the real you, wake up. I've had dreams that, frankly, didn't make much sense but while there I did not question them once. Hell, just last night I was talking with the head of my ex-boss. The head was separated from the body but that didn't seem strange nor creepy. And the head was rolling around in order to move. No one minded, really, and none of that seemed strange. I didn't say "Hey, when am I leaving this dream" and even if I did, I doubt I would have been able to do anything about it.

DoPo:
Who says we cannot leave it?

I never said we can't leave it, simply why HAVEN'T we left it? and if OP's "reality is a dream" theory was correct, how do we leave it? the normal simulators like loud noises, falling and pain doesn't seem to work. Death seems like the only way to wake up, kinda ironic when people call it "The eternal sleep" or something along those lines

DoPo:
I didn't say"Hey, when am I leaving this dream" and even if I did, I doubt I would have been able to do anything about it.

Most lucid dreamers (those who dream and realise it's a dream) can realise it's a dream when some irrefutable piece of evidence can be presented. Personally I had a lucid dream, I realised it was a dream when the time on my watched skipped a couple of hours when I just checked it a second ago. Once lucid, you could probably do something about waking up.

Also these two quotes seem a little contradictory :D

Keoul:

DoPo:
Who says we cannot leave it?

I never said we can't leave it, simply why HAVEN'T we left it? and if OP's "reality is a dream" theory was correct, how do we leave it? the normal simulators like loud noises, falling and pain doesn't seem to work. Death seems like the only way to wake up, kinda ironic when people call it "The eternal sleep" or something along those lines

But are the loud noises and other stimuli come from "inside". You cannot prove whether somebody has tried to awaken the sleeper or not.

DoPo:
Also these two quotes seem a little contradictory :D

I meant that while dreaming you have little to no control over the dream. Sure, lucid dreamers do, but the average person doesn't.

DoPo:

But are the loud noises and other stimuli come from "inside". You cannot prove whether somebody has tried to awaken the sleeper or not.

I call "Probatio diabolica" true I cannot prove that somebody has tried waking someone, but neither can you deny the possibility of it happening or that noone has ever gotten outside stimuli.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked