84% (158)
84% (158)
no
14.9% (28)
14.9% (28)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Quote me!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Does anyone else feel the odd desire to be quoted in the forums? Like you posted something you thought was deep or thought provoking or funny, and all you really want is for someone to quote you. Then you get that magic "You've been quoted in the Forums" message in your inbox.

This drives me nuts sometimes. If i post in a bunch of different threads i always want to see a new message in my inbox. I dunno why but i like being quoted. I guess it's like the fleeting human contact high?

When I was a younger member yes I had the strange need to be quoted by people and I always wanted a message in my inbox. Now I have kind of forget about it when I post but it's always a pleasant surprise to get quoted even though the past few times it's happened I have had people either flaming me or trying to prove me wrong for some reason.

rayen020:
This drives me nuts sometimes. If i post in a bunch of different threads i always want to see a new message in my inbox.

You has a messages! :D

But, seriously, I don't really mind not being quoted or responded to since that doesn't mean my post went unread by everybody. Most of the time, I seem to get quotes from people saying rather pointless, or argumentative statements just to be rude (because it is the internet and that's what they do). So I read my quoted posts with caution.

It's always nice to know that you've been noticed, no?

Depends on the reason why. If they're quoting me to agree with something I said or add onto a point I made, then that's all good fun. If they're correcting me or criticising me, oh God why.

I've never had more than one message in my inbox here. Probably because I pounce on it the moment I see a slight hint of yellow.

The Shadowlord:
I've never had more than one message in my inbox here. Probably because I pounce on it the moment I see a slight hint of yellow.

yeah i do the same thing.

Probably because it gives a definitive sign that people have actually read and noticed your post. If you don't get quoted, it can feel a bit like every human being skimmed over your post without noticing, rather than somebody reading it, thinking 'huh, that makes sense' and moving on. It's nice to have a little moment of recognition now and then.

Also, the poll is crying out for a more 'indifferent' answer. As it is now, it makes it seem like the decision is purely between enjoying being quoted or disliking it, whereas I imagine there's also a lot of neutral opinions.

staika:
When I was a younger member yes I had the strange need to be quoted by people and I always wanted a message in my inbox. Now I have kind of forget about it when I post but it's always a pleasant surprise to get quoted even though the past few times it's happened I have had people either flaming me or trying to prove me wrong for some reason.

Are you pleasantly surprised nao? o3o

OT: Yeeeah, I liked being quoted when I was new here. Now, I avoid it since it usually means someone is trying to pick a fight with me. >_>

mParadox:

staika:

Are you pleasantly surprised nao? o3o

OT: Yeeeah, I liked being quoted when I was new here. Now, I avoid it since it usually means someone is trying to pick a fight with me. >_>

Why yes I am, but now I feel the need to fight someone. You look like a good opponent!

I fall under the small group of people who don't like to be quoted because outside of the internet, in person, I am always quoted and my opinions and words are always twisted and scrutinized.

rayen020:

This drives me nuts sometimes. If i post in a bunch of different threads i always want to see a new message in my inbox. I dunno why but i like being quoted. I guess it's like the fleeting human contact high?

The slightest indication of a social life and it makes you brim with excitement/curiosity. Yes I get that too.

staika:
Why yes I am, but now I feel the need to fight someone. You look like a good opponent!

What'd I tell ya? No one can resist me. <.<

Eh.... I suppose it's nice occasionly, but I would hate to be quoted all the time. I really hate getting excessive attention, I just find that annoying.

Well, yes and no. I get this really irrational sense of dread mixed with excitement when I see the notification that I've been quoted. A subconscious remnant of my introverted childhood wants to panic at the mere thought of being noticed by someone, my admittedly malnourished ego swells with a notion of self-importance, and the conscious part of me wants to work over the rest of my psyche with a baseball bat for getting all hyped over something so trivial. And then I read the notification, who quoted me, what they have said in response, logic sets in, and all's well again.

I know how to socialize, but my mind just hasn't properly adapted yet.

It's nice to be quoted, it gives a sense of satisfaction, no? You usually get quoted a lot if you're one of the first posters in a thread that's going to have a lot of pages (And you're post was either meaningful or witty; or both).

There should be a `Sometimes` option.

Some posts I make I know I will get quoted a billion times with something like `OMG UR SO WRONG`. I dont really mind that, people are allowed opinions (even if they are wrong). What I dont like is people completely failing to recognise sarcasm.

I like people quoting me for something cool though. :)

Well depends on why but the first thing I feel when I see I got quoted is a feeling of dread as it normally means that I made a stupid post again because I tend to post more when I'm so tired I can't even think, so it's weird, and it's always annoying when you can't think of something to answer with as it feels like you are being rude when you don't answer after you've been quoted.

Phasmal:
What I dont like is people completely failing to recognise sarcasm.

Well, sarcasm is very hard to recognize on text and combine that with trolls and the huge quantity of idiots on the Internet and it becomes pretty probable that someone will think you were actually being serious.
Sorry I didn't quote you for something cool.

rayen020:
Does anyone else feel the odd desire to be quoted in the forums? Like you posted something you thought was deep or thought provoking or funny,

I hate it in case someone tries to start trolling.

Or edits their post and it won't show on the inbox like now.

Or quotes for no real reason like now.

It's a pleasant suprise. Although I'm usually quoted when I post a couple of sentences in a debate of some kind. The quoter usually includes six paragraphs on why I'm wrong. So now I try to stay out of topics where my opinion will get flamed to hell.

In my home forum (bolterandchainsword.com) I'm quoted quite frequently and I think I've been sigged more than anyone else on the site (like 10 or 12 different people have sigged various things).

It makes me happy to know people are paying attention, and it's satisfying when people think you've nailed an idea so well that they permanently append it to every post they make from then on.
Extra cool/surprising is when I go away for a while and come back to find brand new members I've never met before have quoted me from some ancient thread that they went and read.
Kooky stuff.

Of course I'm always surprised by the things people find profound or amusing enough to quote/sig...
I'm always like "REALLY?!?? THAT is what you're going with? Not this clearly superior thing I said right after it?" or something like that.
But whatevs, still pretty cool.

I usually like it...

But sometimes it gets to be an argument that I'm simply tired of. Or maybe I just got home from university and it's 9 PM and I'm just too exhausted to want to reply to even a friendly post.

I'm a bit in the middle. I don't really want or enjoy being quoted. But there are times when I post something particularly in a controversial thread and I totally expect to be quoted. Like, as soon I finish posting, I proofread and think, "someone's definitely gonna quote me."

Then... I don't get quoted at all. So then I get surprised and then maybe a smidge let down. After that, I move on pretty fast.

Well, seeing how most of the time it's arguments I regret getting into (either for them being stupid conversations in the first place, or it's some giant flame war where someone can't grasp a simple concept), so no, I don't really care about getting quoted in the forums.

Can't say I hate it, I enjoy conversation with some people, but describing the encounters as "conversation" most of the time is pretty forgiving.

game-lover:
I'm a bit in the middle. I don't really want or enjoy being quoted. But there are times when I post something particularly in a controversial thread and I totally expect to be quoted. Like, as soon I finish posting, I proofread and think, "someone's definitely gonna quote me."

Then... I don't get quoted at all. So then I get surprised and then maybe a smidge let down. After that, I move on pretty fast.

I would have to agree with you there, but I still fell somewhat scared to read the response. Negativity makes me feel kind of weak and thus makes me want to avoid it.

At this point I am quite indifferent to being quoted in general not that I really cared too much to begin with.

TopazFusion:
Yes, most definitely. But only if someone is agreeing with me, or laughing at my jokes.

If I'm being flamed, or even worse, insulted, then it's not such a nice experience.

inb4 someone quotes me, and agrees with me

You know nothing and thus your opinion is worthless, just like every other aspect of your pitiful being. ^^ Just kidding.

Meh, I'm in the middle, I actually get quoted rather often, I'd say normally atleast once a day if I was active. That however is mostly because I am...well...very direct.

*notices he's been quoted again*

Oh boy, here we go again.

Yes, I need quotes, I need messages, I just want to be loooved! I am jokingg of course but you know a pleasant surprise, like everyone else has said.

Being quoted simply confirms that someone actually read what I wrote. It feels a bit nice but I don't try fishing for quotes or anything.

Quote me pls! KTHNXBAI

staika:

This, almost exactly. The forums feel a lot more volatile now, probably with all the shitstorms surrounding the recent fall/winter releases. And ME3. Naturally.

Redlin5:
Being quote simply confirms that someone actually read what I wrote. It feels a bit nice but I don't try fishing for quotes or anything.

Pretty much that.

What I can't stand is when I say something intelligent or witty and someone else asks me who I'm quoting. I mean, am I really so dumb in their eyes that they automatically assume anything clever I say must originate from elsewhere?

~me

Well, it depends. If someone is quoting me to tell me how awesome and incisive I am, then I like it. If someone is quoting me to tell me why I'm a fucking idiot who doesn't deserve to breathe...I still like it, because then I get to argue debate with that person. And I'm usually right.

I get excited then worried when I see that little yellow envelope! I hade confrontation, and I don't write arguements to have someone aggressively trying to belittle me for it! I hate the fact a lot of people seem to be unable to create a viable arguement, so resort to insults, pratronising and general arrogance...

Then again most of the messages I get are usually people backing me up, or having some friendly banter, so it's all good!

When I see that I have been quoted I think, 'oh great, what stupid crap did I say that someone disagreed with'.

rayen020:
Does anyone else feel the odd desire to be quoted in the forums? Like you posted something you thought was deep or thought provoking or funny, and all you really want is for someone to quote you. Then you get that magic "You've been quoted in the Forums" message in your inbox.

Ooh god, yes. Back when I had nothing else to do, I could wrack up ten or more quotes a day. Now I get quoted maaaybe once a week, if I'm particularly contentious.

I blame it on the recession.

I seem to be the opposite of most people here. I don't particularly enjoy being quoted when people agree with (though it does inflate my ego a little I guess), but when people disagree with me it means I might get into an interesting debate. Or they might just be trying to troll me, but even that's quite amusing in its own way.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked