31.7% (89)
31.7% (89)
Other...
22.8% (64)
22.8% (64)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Regarding coffee...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

I like my coffee the way that I like children...

...I hate children.

Image hosted by uppix.net

I find this brand pleasing enough. But I do not pretend to be an expert of coffee, if there is such a thing.

I don't tend to drink coffee at all, mostly tea. But when I do,..I like my coffee like I like my men, milky and sweet.

I don't particularly like coffee, I prefer tea.

Strong enough to wake the dead, with a little milk and sugar to make it less bitter.

Abandon4093:

lacktheknack:

manic_depressive13:
What the hell is shortening?

<headdesk>

It's the vegetable oil equivalent of lard. It's used in every not-low-fat baking recipe ever.

Being a competent baker myself and having a mother who bakes religiously, I've never heard of shortening either. Here in the UK, we have Trex or Flora.

Are you just completely unaware of cultural differences?

Trex and Flora are just branded shortening. "Cultural Ignorance" would be me expecting everyone to know what Crisco and Parkay are (which are also branded shortening).

I don't drink coffee, which is funny because the rest of my family absolutely love these.

Far away from me. Give me a good cup of tea any day.

I don't usually drink coffee, but when I do, I shovel the granules into my mouth with a spoon.

Why yes, yes I am mad. So good of you to notice.

My folks gave me a really nice thermally insulated French Press when I left to go to university, so i tend to use that.

lacktheknack:

Abandon4093:

lacktheknack:

<headdesk>

It's the vegetable oil equivalent of lard. It's used in every not-low-fat baking recipe ever.

Being a competent baker myself and having a mother who bakes religiously, I've never heard of shortening either. Here in the UK, we have Trex or Flora.

Trex and Flora are just branded shortening. "Cultural Ignorance" would be me expecting everyone to know what Crisco and Parkay are (which are also branded shortening).

No they're not.

They're the same thing as shortening but it's not known as shortening in the UK. It's actually just known as a dairy-free butter alternative.

Just like we call

Jelly and not Jello.

Like I said, cultural differences.

And there is really no need to be so indignant about it.

Abandon4093:

lacktheknack:

Abandon4093:

No they're not.

They're the same thing as shortening but it's not known as shortening in the UK. It's actually just known as a dairy-free butter alternative.

Just like we call

Jelly and not Jello.

[shrugs]

I work at a grocery store, and we sell two separate brands of "Jelly" - one by Jell-O, the other by Compliments. We call it Jell-O, yes, because that's the dominant brand, but if you called it jelly, no one would do a double take.

And I'm not trying to be indignant.

lacktheknack:

Abandon4093:

lacktheknack:

No they're not.

Just like we call

Jelly and not Jello.

[shrugs]

I work at a grocery store, and we sell two separate brands of "Jelly" - one by Jell-O, the other by Compliments. We call it Jell-O, yes, because that's the dominant brand, but if you called it jelly, no one would do a double take.

Depending where you live it's completely different.

As far as I'm aware Jelly to Americans is Jam to us.

I prefer hot chocolate myself.
I'm not sure why but I have never, EVER had a cup of coffee that didn't taste burnt, or wasn't 8 million degrees too hot.

French Press bitches. Dexter styles.

Philistines a true gentleman drinks tea but a true Englishman drinks PG Tips.

Ickorus:
Just instant coffee personally, no need for anything special when you have this stuff.

Best coffee I have ever tasted.

Do you keep all the spoons?

OT: not a big coffee drinker... but when i do drink it i have my coffee instant with about 7-8 spoons of sugar, i can't stand the taste...

Angry Juju:

Ickorus:
Just instant coffee personally, no need for anything special when you have this stuff.

Best coffee I have ever tasted.

Do you keep all the spoons?

OT: not a big coffee drinker... but when i do drink it i have my coffee instant with about 7-8 spoons of sugar, i can't stand the taste...

To my great disappointment there aren't any participating stores nearby.

Abandon4093:

lacktheknack:

Abandon4093:

No they're not.

Just like we call

Jelly and not Jello.

[shrugs]

it's a bit more complex than that. We have jam as well, otherwise known as fruit preserves. Jelly here is fruit preserves with added pectin to make the consistency closer to that of gelatin... which is what the Jell-O brand association (and by extension, what you refer to as jelly) refers to. Flavored gelatin.
Thing is... jelly, brand names and such are all localized slang. Gelatin, fruit preserves, and yes, shortening (which is a term that is older than the USA and started off as a technical definition for the function of lard in baking), are not slang.

Oh wait, this thread is about coffee...

loc978:

Abandon4093:

lacktheknack:

[shrugs]

it's a bit more complex than that. We have jam as well, otherwise known as fruit preserves. Jelly here is fruit preserves with added pectin to make the consistency closer to that of gelatin... which is what the Jell-O brand association (and by extension, what you refer to as jelly) refers to. Flavored gelatin.
Thing is... jelly, brand names and such are all localized slang. Gelatin, fruit preserves, and yes, shortening (which is a term that is older than the USA and started off as a technical definition for the function of lard in baking), are not slang.

Oh wait, this thread is about coffee...

Shortening is not a word you'd ever hear used in the UK, and gelatin refers to the animal by-product in the UK. When it's been processed, had sugar added to it and flavoured, then it's technical name here is jelly. That isn't slang. There's also vegetarian jelly that hasn't got any gelatin in it. .

Jam is slang, preserve is the accepted technical term and seems to be universal. But in the EU there is a noted difference between the two in that Jam has to have a higher sugar content than preserves.

Let's just leave it at

'The etymology of cooking and produce is very fucking complicated and directly dependant on your cultural background. And there really is no need to be an ass because someone doesn't know what shortening is.'

Your avatar made me wipe my screen. xD
You got me very good. Hat off to you sir.

http://www.donpedrocoffee.com/ - This stuff.
Low acid, mild, and quite inexpensive.
I've gotten to where I won't drink any other kind.
(I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to whore my favorite brand)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked