90.9% (841)
I never though of it, but because of your enlightening post, I will become one
0.5% (5)
0.5% (5)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Why do you (not) eat meat?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Soods:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Now your turn!

How is it harmful? It is actually harmful to not eat meat. We need to kill animals in order to keep populations in check. The worst thing we can do is to just let the meat waste away and decompose. We eat the meat we get from population checking.

Or at least that is how I have always looked at it.

Liquidacid23:
I'm making Veal ... who wants some!!!

Veal is just meat from young animals that would be killed anyway.

"if done properly it is ethically correct"

Soods:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Now your turn!

Because I like the taste and it's a convenient and desirable source of protein. If I eat a piece of meat, it not only tastes good, but ensures that I get the protein my body needs.

Could I do it other ways? Sure. If I did, would they be healthier? Probably. But they're harder since you need to worry about what you eat in your diet and quite frankly, I don't enjoy them as much.

Also, I have no ethical qualms about the animals involved.

Bacon. It's always the bacon.

My main reason is that it tastes good, I enjoy eating it. Besides, humans are made for eating both meat and that green-ish stuff Veggies fill their bodies with, and I wouldn't cut out either part.

I eat meat because I do. I don't understand why I should have to defend meat eating. I eat meat, you don't. It is that simple. But if you really want to get down to specifics.

Humans are made to eat meat. Simple as that.
It's a good and easy source of protein.
It's damn tasty.

Sure, I do not agree with some practices in the food industry. That is why I eat meat and fish that me and my dad hunt and kill ourselves.

because of a balanced diet? Evolution made humans omnivorous. If we were ment to only eat veggies we'd have more molars and if we were ment to eat more meat we'd have more canines.

I like lamb. and Goat.
goats are cute and they eat almost anything, so if you were to choose an animal to rear for a food source , goats would be the best.

Because I like it, and I consider it natural in the order of things... I respect vegetarians as a personal choice, but I have no moral issue with the idea of eating other animals.

Also, since almost all the diet in my country consists of either meat or pasta, I would be fairly limited if I choose to go vegetarian.

So, I understand you eat only home-grown plants, right? And you don't consume anything that came out of another animal?

Because if you eat or drink products containing milk, it's still using animals. And if you buy at shops, you are encouraging mass fields of death for millions of insects and small animals that die every time you want a "fresh carrot to save an innocent cow". What about innocent moles or critters that get squashed and pulverized by machinery on the field?

Also, it's our nature. Just like sex, it's a part of nature itself and it's something a lot of animals do, not just people, but all other omnivores. Hell, I bet as many if not more animals die to predators than to humans, difference is moronic hippies think it's not happening/

Because apparently even as a baby I wouldn't eat meat; I'd just spit it out if it had meat. I was born a fucking vegetarian. And cheese is fucking delicious.

That said, I hate PETA and any person who acts as if we as a population are horrid murderers for eating meat.

Capitano Segnaposto:
We need to kill animals in order to keep populations in check.

That immediately came to mind when I read that.

Because meat is delicious, and I don't currently have the willpower to help save the planet by eating other stuff instead.

I eat meat, I also eat vegetables, i don't eat fish. I have worked in an abbatoir, i have shot my own food, i have skinned , gutted, cleaned and cooked animals I have killed. I would only feel guilty if i had made the animal suffer. Clean kill, no guilt, no worries. Pest control of rabbits and woodpidgeons can provide a LOT of protein and also protects the crops vegetarians eat.

Win-Win

Peace

Because meat tastes good... And because I am a horrible person with no sense of guilt whatsoever.

I'm an omnivore.

I eat meat, fish, vegetables and other stuff that fuels my body with carbohydrates.

That said I do have a particular fondness for a nicely roasted Entrecôte steak with some red-wine sauce and some nice seasoned potatoes.

And of course, being Danish I can't seem to stop eating herring.

Meat's tasty. Though, veggies can be tasty too, if they're cooked by Asian chefs. I pity the vegetarian that is stuck eating salads.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Soods:

Now your turn!

How is it harmful? It is actually harmful to not eat meat. We need to kill animals in order to keep populations in check. The worst thing we can do is to just let the meat waste away and decompose. We eat the meat we get from population checking.

Or at least that is how I have always looked at it.

Actually, we're the ones who raise those animals en-masse, which is the reason for their large population. If we didn't eat meat at all, domestic cows and pigs would probably be extinct, rather than overpopulated (just think about it, does a farm cow stand a chance in the wild?).

Because its good. I tell the escapist this all the time, IF ITS GOOD, IM EATIN IT! I have seen appalling things when it has come to meat, I've cows at slaughterhouses and stuff, hell, I even helped my friend clean out the grease traps in a fast-food joint he works at, nothing will ever get me to stop eating meat, the most delicious thing one the planet.

I eat it because I can. I like the concept of feasting upon slabs of an animal's muscle fibers. Plus it's filling and it tastes good.

Because I want to be top of the food chain...

I love meat. It's the greatest thing ever. However, I am just enjoying a delicious veggy daal!

Nooo........... when will this confusion end????

THIS IS EXACTLY MY OPINION!!!

Matthew94:

Lieju:
I don't really eat meat, because of the enviromental concerns.

What environmental concerns?

It generally takes more resources(energy, land, and water) to produce meat-heavy diet than plant-heavy.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/78/3/660S.long

Abedeus:
So, I understand you eat only home-grown plants, right? And you don't consume anything that came out of another animal?

Because if you eat or drink products containing milk, it's still using animals. And if you buy at shops, you are encouraging mass fields of death for millions of insects and small animals that die every time you want a "fresh carrot to save an innocent cow". What about innocent moles or critters that get squashed and pulverized by machinery on the field?

Also, it's our nature. Just like sex, it's a part of nature itself and it's something a lot of animals do, not just people, but all other omnivores. Hell, I bet as many if not more animals die to predators than to humans, difference is moronic hippies think it's not happening/

Most people in the world don't eat as much meat as Americans, for example, do. Although this is (unfortunately) changing, and for example Chinese are using more meat, which uses more resources than plant-based diet.

Just because something happens in the nature does not mean it's morally okay. For example, rape and murder(animals plotting and killing members of the same species) happes quite a lot among our closest relatives.

A person can just try to avoid causing suffering and use as little resources as possible, or just not use them more than one needs. You are right, no matter what you eat, animals will suffer and you will have an effect on the environment, but one can make choices that will mean the effect is smaller rather than bigger.

I'm not vegetarian, but I avoid eating meat.

meat is tasty.
fruits are tasty.
vegetables are tasty.
the few minerals that we can eat are tasty.

if you were tasty i would eat you too. (just kidding.)

Lieju:

Matthew94:

Lieju:
I don't really eat meat, because of the enviromental concerns.

It generally takes more resources(energy, land, and water) to produce meat-heavy diet than plant-heavy.

I read through it all and yes, you are right. The meat based farming is much more unsustainable though it is clear that action needs to be taken as farming vegetables is unsustainable in the US (and likely many other MEDCs). Farming itself needs an overhaul.

I'm still going to eat meat but you have made your point.

Matthew94:

Lieju:

Matthew94:

I read through it all and yes, you are right. The meat based farming is much more unsustainable though it is clear that action needs to be taken as farming vegetables is unsustainable in the US (and likely many other MEDCs). Farming itself needs an overhaul.

I'm still going to eat meat but you have made your point.

well if i recall right, most of the vegetables that are eaten in the USA are imported. i am from the heavy agriculltural zones of mexico, and most of the production is aimed for exportation to the usa and other countries. (most of them tomatoes, not beans)

I feel guilty eating meat, but, well, it's just easier than not eating it. It tastes good, it keeps me healthy, and I don't have to spend time looking for a vegetarian option. I have tried vegetarianism, but I haven't been able to stick with it.

I don't eat because I only want antibiotics when I have a severe infection, I don't want any steroids and because I known methane is more powerfull greenhouse gas then C02 so we should attempt reducing the ammount of shit being produced.
Don't give a crap about the animals honestly, same way I don't give a crap about some starving child in random 3rd world country.

Let's face it

there is no moral imperative for me here. I eat meat because, gosh darn it, it tastes good, it's readily available and it makes it easier to balance a plate nutritionally. I'm a cook by profession. I couldn't get away from it even if I wanted to and I love meat.

Things need to be improved in the industry. I think slowly but surely we will get there. In the meantime I will eat meat.

As Homo Sapiens, my body is designed to consume the flesh of other animals to supply myself with proteins and essential amino acids. I won't deny what I am out of guilt for a natural process. Being a vegetarian is, contrary to what some would have you believe, unhealthy, expensive, and incredibly troublesome in terms of meeting protein needs.

Seriously though, I eat meat because it's a natural part of our diet. Our teeth, our digestive systems and our bodies nutritional requirements are all the product of tens of thousands of years of omnivorous diets.

Yes I know all the moral arguments, but I simply don't care enough to give up meat. I do try to be free range and organic when I can but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

And as you so eloquently put it on your questionnaire:

Because bacon. Mmmmm....

[EDIT] Edited for spelling.

I eaat meat for three reasons:

1. It's damn tasty. I love fruits, and I like most vegetables, but if I have a choice between, say, and apple and a burrito, I'll take the burrito every time.

2. It's good for you. Meat has all kinds of protiens that are very difficult to get in sufficient qualities elsewhere. Humans evolved as predators, and as such our bodies are adapted for having meat in our diets.

3. To spite PETA. I'm serious. I hate PETA so much that I've actually started hating vegans simply by association. I know, I know, it's not your fault, but if it makes you feel any better, I feel the same smug self-rightousness when I eat beef as you do when you eat lettuce.
(I'm probably getting the better end of that deal though).

meat tastes great, i have canine teeth for a reason. also i dont really care about animals, eating meat isnt immoral

rutger5000:
I don't eat because I only want antibiotics when I have a severe infection, I don't want any steroids

Uhm, you are aware that animal-specific growth hormones don't affect humans, pretty much all of it gets broken down in your digestive system?

The few artificial growth hormones that do carry over are banned throughout the EU.

I love meat. A juicy pink-centered hamburger. A leg, breast, wing of a baked chicken with the skin still on. Ham cooked in maple syrup and honey and slices dipped in ketchup. Perfectly grilled lamb chops with thin paddies if butter melting on top. Bacon, crispy bacon. *in song* These are a few of my favorite things.

Additionally, I actually need to eat meat. Last year I had gastric bypass surgery to help my obesity problem, (which I've lost 130 lbs since), and the most important nutrient after the surgery is protein. This is to keep your body from using your muscles for energy instead of the fat deposits. To the best of my knowledge, I could be misunderstanding something here, there isn't a lot of, if any, protein in veggies. Not knocking vegans, right now at least, for there choice but, just like religions and genitles, don't force it on other people. Looking at you PETA.

So for me;
Eating Meat = Protein
Protein = Life
Therefore, Eating Meat = Life

Because it's a very delicious protein. Soy is too high in estrogen for me to want to base my diet off of it, and dairy is higher in fat than poultry and fish.

Also, salmon.

Mmmm... salmon...

We are omnivores and our bodies need meat and fat to function.

Personally, I eat meat because whenever I bite into a ribeye, seared rare and bleeding, something deep and primal in the depths of my lizard-brain does a joyous little carnivore backflip.

Now I could be pretentious and defensive and say that thousands of creatures die every harvest for your veggie-burger, brutally slaughtered in combines and threshers as grains are harvested. I could say that we require animal protein or a ludicrous amount of vegetable protein to ensure proper muscle development and maintenance; because honestly, what's better to build muscle from than muscle? But, as I finish these left-over pork ribs, I find that its the fact that meat is delicious; a fact which thousands of years of evolution and the continued existence of my canine teeth joyously give credence to.

But if you want to eat veggies, go for it. Just don't preach.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked