What are "African-Americans" called in your country?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

In the US the "PC" term is "African-American". So I'm just curious as to how they are identified in other countries since "African-American" makes zero sense in other countries.

Please indicate your country of origin and the commonly accepted non racist term for black people.

Canadian

Or black I guess, that's all we can call it

Norway.
'Black' or 'coloured', I guess, is the most pc.

Of course, there's always the term 'mochaman'.

Lost In The Void:
Canadian

Canadian, or black I guess if I needed to get specific.

I frankly think PC terms are stupid, especially when it comes to race. All they do is re-enforce the idea that people of different skin color are different from us (Hint: they aren't)

"Afroamerikaner" when referring to black Americans.

We don't often talk about blacks but I guess the neutral term would be "sort." (black). There's also our word for the n word which I've only ever heard used by people pretending to be old racists for comedic purposes. In Denmark people are more concerned with immigrants, specifically Muslims who tend to be viewed as a uniform mass of taliban suicide bombers.

I live in Perth Australia. We call them Australians.

I guess if you wanted to be specific the PC word is probably African Australian. Though I have never heard it used. I have heard used South African descent or South African Australian (Perth gets a lot of South African immigrants). Others I have heard are Zimbabwean & Somalian Australian/immigrants. Depends on which country they are from.

They have also been applied to white people from thoughs countries. I have heard South African Australian applied way more to white South African as I have met more of them.

I personally stick way with immigrant/race tag as I believe it's wrong. I never get called white-Austrlian or anything appling to my descent. So why should I do it to others. Most people in Australia feel the same way I guess. Most people just call them Australians.

In Britain if you want to be specific it's either Black British or Afro-Caribbean/African British depending on where their ancestors came from, since a lot of black British people originate from the West Indies rather than directly from Africa itself.

Bulgaria.

We use the N word. Which isn't offensive[1] but thanks to American cinema, some people pretend they are smart-asses and say it is (also, said people are largely the ones that watch the most movies. Not politicians or anybody important.). So now, the term "black-skinned" is used slightly more.

There are offensive terms for, well, darker people but they mostly deal with gypsies.

[1] The entire meaning is "person with black skin" nothing more. Nobody would even consider using it as an insult any more than "Italian".

It depends on the circumstances and the ability of the person who you're speaking with to identify the individual. Meaning, we distinguish them mainly by nationality whether they are black, brown, yellow, or white; Or by their job, or by a nickname In a sense, the most distinguishing feature about them is what identifies the individual (person, person within a group, a group etc.).
I bet you do the same without realising it.

From the people around me most of the time, 'black guy'.

Also in some circumstances, me and my friends use 'hot chocolate'.

Germany.
Nigger.
Wish I was kidding.

As mentioned, in Norway black or coloured is used, but dark-skinned (mørkhudet) is used quite a lot as well.

Brit...

In general, 'black' guy/girl covers it... *shrug*

Among my Chinese speaking acquaintances, though... 'hark-gwei' is the accepted vernacular...

Ireland: We just call them black.

We're too busy finding new and inventive ways to call each other offensive names to bother with foreigners.

I guess afro-Canadian? We don't really have a popular official term though.

"Black" would definitely be the most used term in informal speech in Canada.

Pretty sure black people in Ireland are just called "black people"

girzwald:
In the US the "PC" term is "African-American". So I'm just curious as to how they are identified in other countries since "African-American" makes zero sense in other countries.

Please indicate your country of origin and the commonly accepted non racist term for black people.

no, I say Black and I live in the US. I don't say African American anymore than I say European American. Both are silly, because it sounds like your talking about immigrants, not native born

There is no politically correct way of saying "African-American" or the like in Sweden because if we do it's considered that they are different from other races.

Swedish people are really afraid of stepping on peoples toes....

Limecake:

Canadian, or black I guess if I needed to get specific.

I frankly think PC terms are stupid, especially when it comes to race. All they do is re-enforce the idea that people of different skin color are different from us (Hint: they aren't)

Agreed.

In a situation where heritage is important, in my personal experience in Canada, there are more black people from The Islands than who came from Africa.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Germany.
Nigger.
Wish I was kidding.

Is that considered a polite term in Germany, or just one that is used a lot?

Black seems far more PC to me than "African-American", which seems overly pretentious. Not to mention, when it comes to descriptions (medical records, police records, etc.), Black is used to describe them, because they may be Domincan, or Mexican. Try telling those guys they are African-American...

Kendarik:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Germany.
Nigger.
Wish I was kidding.

Is that considered a polite term in Germany, or just one that is used a lot?

Well, you have nigger in the offensive sense which is used by the majority of young people and "neger" which is used by the older generation. That last one used to be offensive but the old folks round here still use the word with no ill intended.

Black and I live in America. I don't know if this is a common mindset everywhere or just because I'm in Virginia, but most black people I know hate being called African Amercian.

Direct quote - "I was born in America, raised in America, and have never even been to Africa. I'm as African as you are European."

I remember fondly on holiday in Vermont, an american I was talking to being shocked that there were no 'Afro-Americans' in the UK. Silly person. Amused me though.

In Ireland, black. We don't need to be too PC, 800 years of oppression kinda destroys any notion of "white guilt".

Canadians, or black, but usually just Canadian.

Actually, in the UK, we just call them "People".

Black.

My dad calls them darkies though.

Vampires.

I live in Georgia.

Two other people have already commented on Ireland so no need for me to say it again,

but did you guys know in South Africa (Ive been there several times) - black and coloured are two different things? White, Coloured, Black are all completely different ethnicities with their own cultures. There's still a bit of racial tension between the three of them.

DoPo:
Bulgaria.

We use the N word. Which isn't offensive but thanks to American cinema, some people pretend they are smart-asses and say it is (also, said people are largely the ones that watch the most movies. Not politicians or anybody important.). So now, the term "black-skinned" is used slightly more.

There are offensive terms for, well, darker people but they mostly deal with gypsies.

We have a very similar situation here in Finland. The word we use, "neekeri", is generally translated into "nigger". The word itself, as is with your case, is not offensive. It's just a word used by people to refer to black people. Sure, I can imagine certain... individuals... using it as a racial slur, but that should not be allowed to taint the original meaning of the word.

And, as it seems to be around the world, politicians and moral mongers are quick point their fingers and offer alternative names for black people. Now, it might be just me, but "a gentleman with a dark complexion" just doesn't roll off the tongue. ;D

On application forms in the race section there are usually boxes that say African, Caribbean. So I'm guessing the PC term is where their ancestors originate. But black people are usually referred to as black. White people are referred to as white but brown people are referred to as asian which is a bit vague, asia is big and has quite a few races. I'd prefer it if race didn't matter and we just referred to each other as fellow Britons or countrymen.

Wait, are you talking about what we in Australia call Americans of colour? Or what we call people of African descent living in Australia? I guess a lot of people would call "African Americans" African American or Black American. People of colour in Australia are either fairly new to the country have been here a very long time. Newcomers tend to get called the name of their country of origin, some times the name of their tribal/ethnic group. I live near a lot of Sudanese and a few Tutsi, they tend to get called Sudanese Australian or Tutsi Australian. The other extreme is the original inhabitants of Australia who have been here for 40,000 plus years. They get called Koori, (which refers only to New South Wales and Victoria) specific tribal names or Indigenous Australians, older people still tend to (mis)use the term Aboriginal which isn't very accurate.

(Aboriginal is a adjective but often gets misused down here as a noun, the the proper term would be Aboriginal Australian or Aborigine. Aborigine just means original inhabitant, it isn't exclusive to Indigenous Australians, the Blackfoot or Sioux for example would be Aboriginal North Americans.)

A Raging Emo:

Or "of Afro-Carribean descent", on the census form.

thylasos:

A Raging Emo:

Or "of Afro-Carribean descent", on the census form.

Yeah, but we also get thousands of people putting "Jedi" as their religion each year.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked