Where have all the Escapists gone?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

For a good while now, I have been avoiding the Escapist for all but my weekly (over)dose of Zero Punctuation. The fact that I just couldn't be bothered to reply to the people who I knew would never listen and the horrible newer design (which to my dismay was never changed back), coupled with a few staff issues at the time that just made me feel unhappy to be involved with the site at all made me all but leave it completely. However, the internet has a way with such things, so one bored day (the day before yesterday) I came back and started posting a bit more regularly again...

That was when it hit me. The place is empty. There are far fewer new topics that I have seen, few topics getting many replies, and almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. Where did everyone go? I still see some of the nice entertaining regulars like Jedamethis and Amnestic, but overall... just one big drop.

So please Escapists, tell me where you are, what happened? It is just tragic :(

Were here... but all the topics at the moment are stupid "OMG DAY 1 DLC FOR ME3 IS BAD!111!". Just like the topics were all "YAY SKYRIM!!!" last november. the forums are going through the next 'big release' cycle of threads that get tiring fast! And there are less replies on these threads because of how many there are, give it time and the forums will be back to normal...

I consider myself a regular really since I'm on every day and do a few posts where I'm interested, The avatars....Yeah mine ain't going anywhere, I love it too much :3

lRookiel:
Were here... but all the topics at the moment are stupid "OMG DAY 1 DLC FOR ME3 IS BAD!111!". Just like the topics were all "YAY SKYRIM!!!" last november. the forums are going through the next 'big release' cycle of threads that get tiring fast! Give it time and the forums will be back to normal...

I consider myself a regular really since I'm on every day and do a few posts where I'm interested, The avatars....Yeah mine ain't going anywhere, I love it too much :3

Is it wrong that I am so glad to see a reply? :P

I really, really, really hope so. I have not observed the natural cycle too much recently, so I guess I did not account for that.

And yes, you are one I have seen around a decent amount, that cat scared the crap ouuta me when I was sleepily scrolling down the first time.

I like that people keep an avatar or theme, recognition and all, just saying that it is always the same people, and seeing Seekster and that xpowderx spewing the same stuff after all this time... can we have less... disturbing differences of opinion, I enjoy debating with those of a different view, but there are limits to how oddly different it can be >.<

It depends which people you're talking about? We all know different people on this forum. xD

No not at all, infact I'm glad there are still some decent threads being made, it's why I'm here otherwise I'd just spend all day on the forum games.

Glad you like the Cheshire cat ^^ .I do like the people on here have 'Their own thing' it brings the forums alive.

This is the first time I've seen you on here
3.5k post, how have I not noticed you!?! Must be blind! best keep my eyes open for more ACTUAL posts then. :3

sky14kemea:
It depends which people you're talking about? We all know different people on this forum. xD

So true, I recognize people by their avatars personally (Yours is a regular sight, aswell as the kickass title ^^)

I have a few friends on here since I'm a sucker for being nice to new users, so when I see a persons first thread I'm always there chucking the greetings round.

I guess there's just a turn-over, some people leave, others come along. The forums have seemed a little slow recently to me recently, might be down to some people leaving after the Extra Credits debacle or the redesign as you said. Hopefully March Mayhem will fix that somewhat.

A lot of us regulars are still here too though, we've just changed avatar or name (in my case both within the last month, I used to be the smiling Big Daddy guy if you remember me from before) so people who take a break might not recognise us any longer.

It would seem that they've...escaped.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regnes:

Well played sir. I bet you loved typing that.... (Why didn't I think of it?!)

:3

lRookiel:

sky14kemea:

So true, I recognize people by their avatars personally (Yours is a regular sight, aswell as the kickass title ^^)

I have a few friends on here since I'm a sucker for being nice to new users, so when I see a persons first thread I'm always there chucking the greetings round.

Awwwh, thanks :D

I do change my avatar more often than some, though. =P Maybe that's why you don't recognise as many people, avatar changes?

Life happened for me. :D

But as for other members, dunno. Depends who you're taking about really, I see the people I consider to be regulars all the time.

Everyone is still here, they are just stuck in Poll threads. :p

I can't speak for everyone but I just slowly grew out of the website, being at uni I find I don't have as big an urge to come talk, discuss and capslock at people here anymore. It didn't help that their was a bit of a strange community vs mods thing going on around this time I just left and returned only to watch videos.

I'm slowly starting to read more topics now though. I did enjoy the forums, so it would be nice to start posting again. Plus everyone needs to see Jack Donaghys laser shield once in a while.

sky14kemea:

True that, but the whole scale of the escapist feels... smaller. when I left I would still frequently see people with 1K posts I had NEVER seen before, within 1 day back there was no-one I had seen going through a few recent topics. Although if I did still touch forum games and user groups I may find this observation to be... stupid on my part :P

lRookiel:

3.5k post, how have I not noticed you!?! Must be blind! best keep my eyes open for more ACTUAL posts then. :3

Not blind, but I have been off for a good while, my posts per day were really dwindling even before the redesign, and that just made me stop even the occasional stuff >.<
I also haven't started a successful thread in even longer, my threads really are very varied, some have no replies, others got me some nice badges and 15K views, and I think my last 1 or 2 threads were more of the dead variety :P

Regnes:

All that needs to be said ^.^

Looks the same to me, don't know what you're on about.

They have gone to sleep...with the fishes

GenericAmerican:

Everyone is still here, they are just stuck in Poll threads. :p

Damn, I actually have a screenshot of 8 polls in one scroll section from a few minutes ago, I am NOT digging for people in there >.<

Princess Trollestia:

Looks the same to me, don't know what you're on about.

You only joined in the last few months, in the middle of my period of absence, and I THINK after or around the whole extra credits thing. Which may be a contributing factor to that...

EDIT: 23:54 on a school night. I am out for the night everyone.

Demon ID:

I'm slowly starting to read more topics now though. I did enjoy the forums, so it would be nice to start posting again. Plus everyone needs to see Jack Donaghys laser shield once in a while.

Ha, thats awesome! Please come back for more posting Mr Baldwin :3

brandon237:

lRookiel:

Not blind, but I have been off for a good while, my posts per day were really dwindling even before the redesign, and that just made me stop even the occasional stuff >.<
I also haven't started a successful thread in even longer, my threads really are very varied, some have no replies, others got me some nice badges and 15K views, and I think my last 1 or 2 threads were more of the dead variety :P

I've had I think 3 threads which I would class as successful in my time here. Just because they werent "Hur dur" threads, so your not alone on that one, I just can't wait till the ME3 hype dies down since I don't even like those games! >:3

sky14kemea:

lRookiel:

sky14kemea:

Awwwh, thanks :D

I do change my avatar more often than some, though. =P Maybe that's why you don't recognise as many people, avatar changes?

I'm a big softie :3

When I first joined, my avatar was Ryze from League of Legends (Tribal skin), then moved to Ranid assassin from Bloodline champions, then to Yorick from LoL (Undertaker skin).

I changed my avatar about 4 times within 2 months, but I finally found one I like so it's here to stay. Hope I can make more friends eventually.

brandon237:

*le snip* the whole extra credits thing. Which may be a contributing factor to that...

EDIT: 23:54 on a school night. I am out for the night everyone.

This is my first time back since that debacle. I liked extra credits enough that the whole deal pissed me off so I stayed away from this site for a good long while.

I know what you mean, there's quite a few regular names and avvys I look out for and I haven't seen many of those crop up in months. Though that said I'm here less now myself. I don't know if it's me that's changed or the sort of threads that are being posted, but I feel a lot less inclined to contribute to discussions.

If you left round about the time the site redesign was released I'm not surprised the site feels smaller. The site redesign was released at somepoint during the Christmas holidays, when you would naturally get more people online since they don't have as much else that needs doing.

February on the other hand is pretty much the middle of term/ the work season if you do serious job stuff. It's why there is often a surge of new users in the summer as well.

Zantos:
I know what you mean, there's quite a few regular names and avvys I look out for and I haven't seen many of those crop up in months. Though that said I'm here less now myself. I don't know if it's me that's changed or the sort of threads that are being posted, but I feel a lot less inclined to contribute to discussions.

A lot of users (myself included) have felt like that from time to time. It's a feeling people often get once the joy of a new community to interact with has worn off.

lRookiel:

Demon ID:

Ha, thats awesome! Please come back for more posting Mr Baldwin :3

So long as I have a good supply of booze and no work to attend to I plan to start interacting again, see if I can track down some of the old posters I used to hang on every word to. Which reminds me, I am out of booze and have a book to read. Damn.

I don't know what you mean but I am still here since I am addicted to this place. And I still see a lot of older users they are just in the forum games and role playing forums and the user groups. I have also been spending most of my time there as well.

I've been floating about since about a year before I joined and honestly, it does seem a bit empty. I figure it's due to the publisher's club forums taking up a lot of the old regulars, though I wouldn't know for sure as I'm not on the inside.

As for your remark on the new layout... I strongly disagree, this layout is miles ahead of the cluttered old design they had before, I think you just dislike change.

Don't worry, I'm here...I'm always here. Always.

It is a bit slow (Though, I don't know much since I've only become active in the last few months) Buuuuuuuuuuuut, I do my part and try to bring neglected posts of the day that I'm interested in back to the front since it seems only massive topics are the only ones getting attention. I hate posting in topics with 10+ pages because what's the point?

I'm still here. I've just been kind of busy at work. I'll be around for the foreseeable future (until the end of the year when I have to go on a 11 month deployment).

I wish I could make more threads but I just dont have any Ideas right now

eh...Ive been on constantly and I dont notice thease things..a little ME3 greifing but thats it

it has been a little slow...its annoying that when I happen to be suspended all the good threads pop up

also I imagine alot fo users are banned

I am still here. I doubt anyone cares, but I haven't left yet, I just don't post that much. Hopefully more people will start posting during the next few months.

I discovered Reddit so I've been hanging out there for the past couple months and only coming here for ZP and MovieBob.

Well for me I just don't see threads that interest me anymore. And when I do it has so many replies that I know nobody will notice my post anyway.

And I stay the heck away from this site on Wednesdays because of how bad the Zero Punctuation lag is getting.

I'm here and that's all that matters~

There really is a lack of good new threads,I miss the little flame wars too now those were entertaining

Many of them retreated to User Groups/Forum Games/User Reviews.

Site still seems pretty active to me, though.

A lot of the older guys, (Furburt, DemonicTeddy, etc) went to Furburts self started forum called Yellow Leprechauns or something. I checked it out, but... wasn't working for me. And, if it means anything I've actually been here since early 2008. I lost the password and email to my old account when I accidentally logged off one day.

Edit: I'm thinking about adopting my old avatar....

lRookiel:
snip

Were you playing Battlefield 3 on Console yesterday? Because I saw a Gamertag that looked a lot like yours.

And if that was you, I hate you.

Most of the names I recognized from when I first came here have been perma-banned and in my year long escape from the escapist the quality of threads seems to have deteriorated. So I guess many verteran users don't see much reason to contribute, or they're busy like normal people that do normal things like listen to music or something.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked