Where have all the Escapists gone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I've been lurking more than usual recently, I've been struggling recently, literally physically ill from being depressed over my mom who has ...A.P.P. or something, a rare form of asphasia. Basically she's lost her ability to communicate and this is after her father has died of Alzheimers, who I also visited in the hospital all the time as a child.

Also the topics have been a lot of stupid stuff that I just don't care to post on anymore.

Well I know I don't post often anymore due to those strict rules they passed a while back. Can't just say 'yes' 'no' 'dog' as a reply anymore :/

Screamarie:
snip.

againt my better judgment Ive stuck around, even though Ive said a million times I'm avoiding ME3 spoilers

to be honest I havnt had anything spoilered for me (as in I prefer to know as little as possible..I may already know too much)

though rest assured when it comes out Im gone untill Ive finished

I am surprised that most of the hate is directed at secondary things (like teh gay and DLC)..still a bit of deja vu huh?

EDIT: and I actually do recognise you

I'm here every day. However I find very few threads actually worth commenting on though.
As for everyone else, I'm guessing if they're not still around somewhere then they've either gotten themselves banned or have just moved on.

Vault101:

Screamarie:
snip.

againt my better judgment Ive stuck around, even though Ive said a million times I'm avoiding ME3 spoilers

to be honest I havnt had anything spoilered for me (as in I prefer to know as little as possible..I may already know too much)

I am surprised that most of the hate is directed at secondary things (like teh gay and DLC)..still a bit of deja vu huh?

I totally know how you feel. I spend a lot of time here at the escapist (time I could have used being productive but where's the fun in that) so I've been trying to visit topics that are not about ME3...at the same time trying to get into non-spoilerific discussions....it's been challenging. I haven't even been watching trailers cause I don't want to know whos coming, who isn't, or anything until I get to actually play.

Course what makes me sad is that I pre-ordered a CE from amazon and amazon estimates it's delivery a full week after launch day. That makes me very, very sad and probably means I'll have to avoid the site entirely.

Nikolaz72:

Acrisius:
The Escapist is like the second tab I open on my browser every day. I don't know, I also get the feeling that there are fewer new posts coming up these days...or like someone else said, they're all about the same damn thing. ME3 here, Skyrim there, etc...

I dunno man, its not like its been like this since Skyrim came out, when nothing special is happening we are flooded with (The enemy you last killed in your game is not your ******) (Your teacher is now the ****** you ****** in your last game) (Why I hate kids) (Games with Avatars) (Poll about peoples sexuality) (Poll about peoples sexlife) (Poll about peoples lovelife) There really arent many original threads left to make. I mean look at it, all the good ones have already been made! At least thirty times each, in the past year.

The R/P boards are better, if not only because new topics (Regulary, but not as much as I would like) rely on actual news, which causes it to be an original-ish. Topic. Even if it stoops back to a fight between basic ideologies as is most often the case. Personal prefference I guess. I guess the three threads about relationships also often land in the (Why I hate kids) Territory. But thats something that happends due to some people on this website and cannot be helped.

True stories, bro. Makes sense.

Screamarie:

Vault101:

Screamarie:
snip.

snip.

I am partly guilty (homosexuality in ME3 thread) but yeah, I havt seen any trailers...in fact I never saw any of the trailers for ME1 2 or 3 (I did cacth a glimpse of trailer femsehep in a jimquisition Video..made my heart skip a few beats)

thankfully though I'm actually not that bothered with the whole thing..before I was dreading a repeat of DA2 (a game I was geniunly psyched for..which was ripped apart before my very eyes..I wouldnt have been able to afford it at the time anyway)

theres been some complaing but nothing over disheartening, and avoided anything ME3 related has been the best Idea (nothing more annoying than having somthing spoilered through thread title) ME3 is a big deal for me and I'm not going ot let a bunch of people on the internet ruin it (I wonder if I would have loved DA2 had I played it blissfully ignorant of the escapist..now I havnt even played it)

as fir you CE...damn that sucks (got mine pre-ordered..from a good old fashioned store) if your really desperate you could rent or even buy a copy in the meantime...unless your PC..which which case..yeah sorry

Vault101:

Screamarie:

Vault101:

snip.

I am partly guilty (homosexuality in ME3 thread) but yeah, I havt seen any trailers...in fact I never saw any of the trailers for ME1 2 or 3 (I did cacth a glimpse of trailer femsehep in a jimquisition Video..made my heart skip a few beats)

thankfully though I'm actually not that bothered with the whole thing..before I was dreading a repeat of DA2 (a game I was geniunly psyched for..which was ripped apart before my very eyes..I wouldnt have been able to afford it at the time anyway)

theres been some complaing but nothing over disheartening, and avoided anything ME3 related has been the best Idea (nothing more annoying than having somthing spoilered through thread title) ME3 is a big deal for me and I'm not going ot let a bunch of people on the internet ruin it (I wonder if I would have loved DA2 had I played it blissfully ignorant of the escapist..now I havnt even played it)

as fir you CE...damn that sucks (got mine pre-ordered..from a good old fashioned store) if your really desperate you could rent or even buy a copy in the meantime...unless your PC..which which case..yeah sorry

Yeah I saw your thread on the subject. I thought about posting but I felt it would be pointless as I completely agreed with you. At one time I thought that Bioware had cut out the homosexuality in ME1 because of the controversy, but over time they've proven that they don't really seem to care about that so I figure it's likely they were telling the truth about not having the time all those years ago.

As for Dragon Age 2 I haven't purchased it myself, but I want to...I've heard a lot of naysayers for it, but I still figure I'll get it because that's the same that happened to ME2 in my opinion.

And thanks for the rental suggestion but I think I'll wait. Nothing like being able to open up a brand new copy of a game that's all yours, you know? I would have pre-ordered from a store but I have no video game store in town and amazon gave me ten dollars off and I got free shipping, so how could I refuse?

Meet you back here at the Escapist in about three weeks to compare games ^_^

I don't know anyone here and no one here knows me, but I've quit posting regularly recently because I just stopped caring.

The community has stopped posting things I find relevant to my interests, so I left. I watch videos, maybe drop a comment, laugh at some of the more ignorant posts, and leave.

I have noticed that the place has significantly slowed down and honestly I'm glad. New members might be a good thing as this place has been up to its tits in jerks for a long long time now. Also there is little discussion that can be had with the hive mentality I find on this sight. Most threads are just something the OP knows everyone will agree with and then the circle jerk begins.

I've been feeling similarly. Of course, I've been on hiatus for a while, but I doubt you were referring to me, anyways.

Screamarie:

Vault101:

Screamarie:

snip.

snip

snip^_^

I loved ME2 more than the first one (though I can see its flaws) so I dont have much reason to be worried

but yeah..I think the release date is the 6th..but we dont get it untill the 8th

I'm awful, I don't wonder where people have gone :<

Everyting does seem to have gotten rather dull around here ever since "the game that shall not be named" is inching closer to release.

As for the Escapist regulars. I still recognize plenty of them.

MorsePacific:
I don't know anyone here and no one here knows me, but I've quit posting regularly recently because I just stopped caring.

The community has stopped posting things I find relevant to my interests, so I left. I watch videos, maybe drop a comment, laugh at some of the more ignorant posts, and leave.

More or less this.

(coupled with the heinous result of MM last year and the fact that good threads get buried under tat far too quickly.)

It just isnt worth my time as much.

Wouldnt mind a good forum to migrate to 9if anyone has any good places.

Many people stick to user groups and others have been banned or have chosen to leave and that pretty much sums it up.

Hello?
HelllooOOoo?
Hello?
HELLO?

HELLO?

Is anybody there?!?

Hello?!?!?

I don't get what you're saying, OP. All the Escapists are here; forums change overtime - who's to say next year there won't be EVEN MOAR members then before?

Screamarie:
I doubt I'd be recognized but I is still here!

Your avatar is very recognizable so unless you change it i bet a lot of people will spot you. Yeah trying to avoid the ME3 topic (so basically half the forum atm).

SL33TBL1ND:
I've stopped posting as much as I used to. A lot of the time now I get halfway through writing a post and just stop and think "Does anyone really need to read this?" And then I close the tab.

Same , or it is just saying something that has been said a few times before in another way, either that or with certain games i like just being tired to defend my own taste.

ive been treading lightly in an attempt to avoid the mass effect 3 spoilers that will inevitably find their way across the threads.

I also dont like the new look. I would honestly like them to go back to the old template. This new one is too bright.

Lastly the loss of extra credits really took away alot of my interest in the site. I only look at zero punctuation when yahtzee covers games I like, and even then I often wait because I want to avoid spoilers.

SL33TBL1ND:

Things are about to get more- eugh... lively again with this years MM.

I really hope things don't go as far south as they've done the last few times.

But that's when MM is at its best. MM 2010 was my favourite, at least I think it was 2010, the one where Zynga almost won and there was a huge influx of Farmville users? There was so much drama, it was awesome. At least it was a bit of excitement.
Don't think I've ever seen to community so united against one thing!

OP: I still see the regulars around. Well, the people I recognise as regulars anyway. I have been noticing that the same threads seem to hang around the front page for longer than usual but that's about it. The site is usually quieter mid-week though (provided it's not Summer or Christmas).

bahumat42:

MorsePacific:

More or less this.

(coupled with the heinous result of MM last year and the fact that good threads get buried under tat far too quickly.)

wasnt it mojang that won? (what was wrong with that?) the makers of minecraft? and they were up against Bioware too.....

I dont really get march mayhem, its really jsut a popularity contest..or just choosing the ones you THINK are goign to be popular..I mean what are peopel actually judging? the better developer?

Macgyvercas:

Well, let me see...

Demented Teddy: Banned
Maxthereaper: Banned
Furburt: Left
Hubiliub: Left
Snooty Englishman: MIA
Aylaine: MIA
Neonbob: Usually in Forum Games
Sassafras: I see hime from time to time, but it's infrequent.

I think I may have forgotten people...

JoesshittyOs:

A lot of the older guys, (Furburt, DemonicTeddy, etc) went to Furburts self started forum called Yellow Leprechauns or something. I checked it out, but... wasn't working for me.

Damn... that is sad, they could carry an entire thread sometimes...

Too many people to quote have mentioned the whole ME3 thing and Skyrim before that, which tends to make this place a nightmare. Not to mention inanity of threads recently, so I shall wait a bit before I keep to this opinion. Although the fact that slightly more people have agreed with me than disagreed could be telling. Patience is a virtue and whatnot :D

Vault101:

bahumat42:

MorsePacific:

More or less this.

wasnt it mojang that won? (what was wrong with that?) the makers of minecraft? and they were up against Bioware too.....

I dont really get march mayhem, its really jsut a popularity contest..or just choosing the ones you THINK are goign to be popular..I mean what are peopel actually judging? the better developer?

yeah the person won on a hype train many of whose opinions changed in the 6 months following it. It was beyond a joke.

El Dwarfio:

brandon237:

So please Escapists, tell me where you are, what happened? It is just tragic :(

They've been replaced by trolls and arrogant teenagers who think they know better than everyone else.

But I agree, I look at the recent posts list and just think omfg, they should call it the "Ponies, ME3 Rants and Racist undercurrents list."

sooo...nothings changed? :P if I remember correctly you havnt been here that long anyway..that is unless you were lurking, in that case I apologise

if thats not the case then "learn your place new meat!! eeraagg!"....

bahumat42:
[quote="MorsePacific" post="18.352346.13966943"]snip.

I still hear that Escapist is one of the better ones...

that way I see it the internet is like the world of fallout, a harsh place full of raiders and horrbile mutated creatures

and the escapist is a Vault...its also the kind of place Ive simply grown confortable with, its familiar

I couldbt be bothered trying to trek through the wasteland to find somwhere else to hang out.....Ive been out there, the supermutants are nasty and the raiders are hateful and stupid, and the radiation is even worse

that may have been a tad dramatic but you get the Idea

bahumat42:

Vault101:

bahumat42:

More or less this.

yeah the person won on a hype train many of whose opinions changed in the 6 months following it. It was beyond a joke.

is a great big voting contest really the best way firgure out who;s more "deserving" as I said, it comes down to popularoty (granted popularoty earned in most cases) and of coarse Im going going to vopt for what I think is going ot be most popular...to earn points and all

also I have a question, I began filling out my bracket but after a certain point it cimply wont load...I cant remember but am I suposed to be able to fill out the entire thing? or does it happen gradually?

Im always on here. I left for a while and came back 'cos of free time during Uni'. I pretty much just read articals and watch the videos but I don't usualy post.

Hmm...there has not been much going on of late...

I had some good fun over a few topics at the weekend but now everything has returned back to the usual lull.

The site feels different and seems to be attracting a different type of people than it used to two years ago. Plus, since you can post on Facebook there is no real need to use the forums which I think killed the community a little.

Then with the lack of jokes and inside humor that cement us all together... And I slither away to lurk in the user groups that I so not really know how to use and I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone.

Stopped coming here when they changed the layout to "ugly as fuck".

JoesshittyOs:

lRookiel:
snip

Were you playing Battlefield 3 on Console yesterday? Because I saw a Gamertag that looked a lot like yours.

And if that was you, I hate you.

Nah man, don't play console games nor do I own BF3 ^^

PC 4 LIFE! :3

SL33TBL1ND:

Things are about to get more- eugh... lively again with this years MM.

I really hope things don't go as far south as they've done the last few times.

Please do elaborate? I havn't experienced a MM rush so could you describe what it's like? :3

Alexa has some graphs that are showing decline.

My first forums existed on www.insidetheweb.com back in 1996. It was a site which allowed users to create their own message boards and search others. Since then, 3-4 year cycle of sites come/sites go has made me a forum nomad... wandering across the information super high way in search of the greener pastures as once fruitful areas die out.

There are less posts but I think that' because (tempting fate here) there's no more "CoD is better than everything else because..." threads or "I played this massively popular game and I didn't like it OOOOH LOOK HOW COOL I AM!"
(if there are then I guess I'm just lucky to have not seen them)

I don't really care how many or few members there are, I only post in the occasional thread, and as I said I'm just glad I don't have to see vs threads all day anymore.

There's a lot still here but most stick to user groups or forum games these days. Furburt, Demented Teddy, Hubilub and a lot of the other well known users were all banned or moved on, mostly to Furburt's forum.

Besides, Zeel is here now, that's all we need for entertainment.

My theory is still that last winter and this spring have thrown way too much shit at the fan. Gamers are one of the angriest bunches in the world, and with a lot of this to go around, the massive anti-corporation side of the community is an unstoppable horde.

*Sigh. And now we have MM coming. Is this becoming a thing? Will we only have a short break in June-August where each page of the forums isn't half filled with gamer rage? Because if that happens again this year, I'm tempted to leave.

I need a poster!

Where have all the good men gone?

I'm sure this has been shouted a thousand times already, but I'll join the chorus for some nice harmony.

User groups and the forum games section.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked