Where have all the Escapists gone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

El Dwarfio:

brandon237:

So please Escapists, tell me where you are, what happened? It is just tragic :(

They've been replaced by trolls and arrogant teenagers who think they know better than everyone else.

But I agree, I look at the recent posts list and just think omfg, they should call it the "Ponies, ME3 Rants and Racist undercurrents list."

Eh, it'll calm down in time. We had the same levels of hype and repeat threads for Skyrim in November. These fora tend to go in cycles; usually, the people wondering why the site is declining in quality haven't been around long enough to see how the community ebbs and flows.

Also, if you think the Escapist is over-saturated with ponies these days, thank your lucky stars you didn't join back in the summer. We had at least 2 threads started daily pondering why people were watching MLP for most of June and July. Dear God, that was annoying. I just hope this summer there will be less threads on the matter when Season 2 finishes airing.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
There's a lot still here but most stick to user groups or forum games these days. Furburt, Demented Teddy, Hubilub and a lot of the other well known users were all banned or moved on, mostly to Furburt's forum.

Besides, Zeel is here now, that's all we need for entertainment.

Alas, at the rate he's going he won't last here much longer.

Still if you wanna be entertained there's always *drumroll please*
http://xkingxzeel.blogspot.com/2012/02/why-i-cant-take-fanboys-seriously.html

HIS BLOG!!!!

lRookiel:

Please do elaborate? I havn't experienced a MM rush so could you describe what it's like? :3

That about sums it up, really. :D

lRookiel:

SL33TBL1ND:

Things are about to get more- eugh... lively again with this years MM.

I really hope things don't go as far south as they've done the last few times.

Please do elaborate? I havn't experienced a MM rush so could you describe what it's like? :3

Have you tried being on the forums around the time a new Zero punctuation comes out?
Like that.
Only with the added bonus of lots of flamewars, obnoxious new users, and shittonnes of people getting banned.

Macgyvercas:

Hubiliub: Left

I did?

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

What the hell is this necromancy?
Abomination!

Until you have somehow proven your identity, I will be working under the assumption that behind that avatar is currently a corpse hanging from a set of strings controlled by a grinning Furburt.

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

????
!!!!

You...You're...You're back! I thought you died or something!

If you think it's bad now, wait until ME3 releases... Good god. It'll be... WORSE THAN SKYRIM.

anthony87:

Kungfu_Teddybear:
There's a lot still here but most stick to user groups or forum games these days. Furburt, Demented Teddy, Hubilub and a lot of the other well known users were all banned or moved on, mostly to Furburt's forum.

Besides, Zeel is here now, that's all we need for entertainment.

Alas, at the rate he's going he won't last here much longer.

Still if you wanna be entertained there's always *drumroll please*
http://xkingxzeel.blogspot.com/2012/02/why-i-cant-take-fanboys-seriously.html

HIS BLOG!!!!

You can find out an interesting amount about him from there, including age, gender, what he sounds like, and the fact that he's been like that for at least 3 years now.

Can't believe EternalNothingness wasn't mentioned, that guy was amazing. Occasionally he said something profound, it was like a lucky dip.

The Pinray:
If you think it's bad now, wait until ME3 releases... Good god. It'll be... WORSE THAN SKYRIM.

It will be interesting, what produces more discussion repetition of threads; The story of Mass Effect or the expansiveness of Skyrim.

What are you talking about? I'm touching myself right here.

I dunno, when I first started on the Escapist, I had a lot of friends (some of whom were quite well known) that I sort of looked up to and it just seems like instantly they disappeared. I think a few of them actually banned themselves, I didn't know what that was about.

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

.....Hub?

Is that really you?

Lost to the ME3 shitstorm it appears.

Ya, hi, been here since '09. Quit bitching. New site is more streamlined. So professional web designers didn't listen to you or the other nay sayers, big deal. Every once in a while someone will make this exact same thread and swear off the site, and then they'll be back again inside a week. I've seen it happen a dozen times, as I'm sure many others here have too. If you're one of those people who only watches ZP you're only robbing yourself; there's so much intelligent content here I have trouble getting through it all in a week.

They all left for Skyrim, Battlefield and CoD and never came back. I actually just started posting again because I'm finally starting to get bored with the winter releases...but ME3 is right around the corner now.

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

*rubs eyes*

I must be seeing things <.<

Has anyone seen Jack and Calumon? I used to see them all over the place, but I haven't seen him in a while...

While I've been much more of a lurker than anything during my stay at the escapist, I've stopped trying to post or even checked some threads because this place has too many people being pretentious pseudo intellectual witty comments that are little less than trying to one-up each other in every thread or everywhere, and that is not good for serious discussion, and I know this pushed a lot of members away.

That and content wise, the escapist has less entertaining shows/articles to offer, and I miss the weekly issue to be honest, that and the sub-par reviews have been getting a bit worse for the most part.

The Pinray:

Its ALREADY worse than Skyrim. Infact just now is the first time in the past week where i dont currently see at least 3 ME3 threads in the 'latest post' section.. and even then there's still 1. At least Skyrim brought some interesting discussion along with all the other crap.

As for me personally, i've stopped doing alot of posting because most of the time i find myself disagreeing with most people and i cba arguing.

Redlin5:

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

*rubs eyes*

anthony87:

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

.....Hub?

Is that really you?

Macgyvercas:

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

????
!!!!

Jonluw:

Hubilub:

Macgyvercas:

I did?

Abomination!

Until you have somehow proven your identity, I will be working under the assumption that behind that avatar is currently a corpse hanging from a set of strings controlled by a grinning Furburt.

Surprised to see me?

Hubilub:
Surprised to see me?

Nah, I'd already read all about it, so it was hardly surprising.

Double post, because I'm a moron.

Hubilub:

Surprised to see me?

Quite so.

I wasn't aware your account had been deleted.....or aware of your return for that matter.

I'unno. Maybe I should start either making threads on a whim or putting thought into them and making them...
Fuck should I know where people went?

anthony87:

Hubilub:

Surprised to see me?

Quite so.

I wasn't aware your account had been deleted.....or aware of your return for that matter.

His account wasn't deleted, he changed the name to "Cherry Cola" (and was later banned). Due to the name-change the username Hubilub was freed up for anyone to take.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Cherry+Cola

Hubilub:
Surprised to see me?

To a certain extent, yes.

All the interesting people with their own opinions all get banned. All thats left is those with the escapists approved opinion on every topic. So no one stands out anymore.
EC cost this site way more.
March Mayhem always sees a heap more leave.
And of course the ugly redesign cost even more.

Hubilub:

Redlin5:

Hubilub:

I did?

*rubs eyes*

anthony87:

Hubilub:

I did?

.....Hub?

Is that really you?

Macgyvercas:

Hubilub:

I did?

????
!!!!

Jonluw:

Hubilub:

I did?

Abomination!

Surprised to see me?

Very much so. You disappeared around the time of the Great Furburt Migration, and I presumed you MIA after that. Well, until now, obviously.

So how the hell are you, friend?

The topics here just aren't as interesting as they used to be. Whenever a new game comes out, everyone decided to make some kind of thread about it. And the original threads are few and far between. Plus threads get reposted every couple of months, which for a longtime member can get a bit annoying and repetitive.

brandon237:
And almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. :(

Just curious, have you seen my avatar on someone else?

I used to be on fairly regularly and I still visit the site every week for Zero punctuation but at the moment I am waking up early and coming back home late so I don't post in the forums as much as I used to. That and I don't really have anything to contribute to a lot of threads.

brandon237:
snip

I'm fairly sure a resurgence is happening. A topic I just posted is nearly off the first page off "off topic" in the space of a few minutes. Give it time, friend.

Personally, I intend to be here for years to come. Hopefully if any of my friends are here in a few years (hopefully even a decade) we can reflect together.

Edit: Also, if anyone has taken my avatar, they've taken it from me directly, considering it was given to me by an American pen pal.

Rune342:

The topics here just aren't as interesting as they used to be. Whenever a new game comes out, everyone decided to make some kind of thread about it. And the original threads are few and far between. Plus threads get reposted every couple of months, which for a longtime member can get a bit annoying and repetitive.

brandon237:

And almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. :(

Just curious, have you seen my avatar on someone else?

No, I don't think I have seen your avatar anywhere else, although I have not been back for all too long :P

Binnsyboy:

brandon237:

snip

I'm fairly sure a resurgence is happening. A topic I just posted is nearly off the first page off "off topic" in the space of a few minutes. Give it time, friend.

Personally, I intend to be here for years to come. Hopefully if any of my friends are here in a few years (hopefully even a decade) we can reflect together.

I do hope so, and I see Hubilub is back too :D
Maybe just maybe, if another big release with some controversy doesn't scare everyone off the forums again, and the Escapist does not go any changes in design or shows too soon. Too much change and drama at once is scary, so let us hope for some peace time now ^.^

Nay, this place seems fuller than ever, I just recognise fewer people. I always get a little smile when I see guys like you who have been around for less time than me hankering for 'the good old days', but I'll admit I think it's justified. I don't really feel like the community is as tightly knit as it used to be, all kinds of stupid things used to happen. Mostly arguments. I guess me being 3 years older changes how I feel but still. It's fairly normal that people don't stay on a forum for three years, most people get bored or get banned or something, we're probably a minority that stay for this long, I wouldn't fault The Escapist itself for that.

Vault101:

Jester Lord:
Most of the names I recognized from when I first came here have been perma-banned and in my year long escape from the escapist the quality of threads seems to have deteriorated. So I guess many verteran users don't see much reason to contribute, or they're busy like normal people that do normal things like listen to music or something.

hey I listen to music...

..while I post

Well you sir and/or female sir are clearly abnormal.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked