Where have all the Escapists gone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

You know, you're actually correct. Every day I'll see the same thread over and over in the latest posts box. The only real original things are Daystar Clarion's posts about British food. Every now and then though, a gem will pop up.

*pokes head out*

I'm still here!

Just... been playing games alot. XD

Yeah, I'm not seeing as people from early 2008 such as myself but I still think there are plenty of people around. However, the quality of threads have declined (and we also have people posting the same thing over and over). Also, I'm seeing less and less topics on games and if I do see any, they tend to be people flaming games and such.

"Oh the times, they are a-changing."

Phlakes:
My theory is still that last winter and this spring have thrown way too much shit at the fan. Gamers are one of the angriest bunches in the world, and with a lot of this to go around, the massive anti-corporation side of the community is an unstoppable horde.

Aye.
The internet hate machine is more akin to a group of digital "lynch mobs".
Especially for gaming these days.

Everyone knows me! Right?....right?
Bah!
OT: Yea, most of the people that know me on this forum proabably think im a dick, because I am. I almost completely stopped posting since the fun purges began where saying the wrong thing got you banned.

All the fun people like hankman and stuff got banned, and I don't know why. I miss them.
The threads have been going down the crapper too. Now it's just "PIRACY, DLC, PIRACY, DLC, EA EA EA EA, PIRACY, DLC, RAGE RAGE, HATRED, BLARGHHHH, GIRLFREND LEFT ME, VALVE SUCKS, VALVE ROCKS, BLARGHHHHHH etc."
Yea, the site is going down the drain, and the water in the drain is made of bad threads, bad, unfunny flame wars, and lack of puns.

lRookiel:

SL33TBL1ND:

Things are about to get more- eugh... lively again with this years MM.

I really hope things don't go as far south as they've done the last few times.

Please do elaborate? I havn't experienced a MM rush so could you describe what it's like? :3

Tonnes of awful new users who usually know nothing about the etiquette of this site (or forums in general) and don't care to.

Seriously, it's worst time of the year for actual discussion.

vivalahelvig:
Everyone knows me! Right?....right?
Bah!
OT: Yea, most of the people that know me on this forum proabably think im a dick, because I am. I almost completely stopped posting since the fun purges began where saying the wrong thing got you banned.

All the fun people like hankman and stuff got banned, and I don't know why. I miss them.
The threads have been going down the crapper too. Now it's just "PIRACY, DLC, PIRACY, DLC, EA EA EA EA, PIRACY, DLC, RAGE RAGE, HATRED, BLARGHHHH, GIRLFREND LEFT ME, VALVE SUCKS, VALVE ROCKS, BLARGHHHHHH etc."
Yea, the site is going down the drain, and the water in the drain is made of bad threads, bad, unfunny flame wars, and lack of puns.

when do you recoon this started happening? because its kind of been liek that for a while

I'd say it's a combination of this:

JoJo:
I guess there's just a turn-over, some people leave, others come along. The forums have seemed a little slow recently to me recently, might be down to some people leaving after the Extra Credits debacle or the redesign as you said.

And This:

lRookiel:
Were here... but all the topics at the moment are stupid "OMG DAY 1 DLC FOR ME3 IS BAD!111!". Just like the topics were all "YAY SKYRIM!!!" last november. the forums are going through the next 'big release' cycle of threads that get tiring fast! And there are less replies on these threads because of how many there are, give it time and the forums will be back to normal...

The Extra Credits mess was a big one, as I know several friends who stopped visiting the site when that went down (and honestly, I can't blame them, but given Russ Pitts is no longer in charge (not saying he's a bad guy, but he handled this situation badly), I say all is forgiven). When there are a variety of games out, people will start talking more, but it's hard to get excited over a run-of-the-mill game like Syndicate, and unfortunately, the number of people playing Kingdoms of Amalur is nowhere near what the game deserves to have as a fan base, at least on this site.

As for me, I don't post all that often because I'm at an academically rigorous college, and by the time I get to a topic, chances are someone's already said what I wanted to say more eloquently than I could, and I never post without trying to add to the conversation.

Oh, and brandon237, welcome back to the forums man. I don't post often, but I have been around for three(ish) years now, and it's nice to have you back

Falcon123:

Oh, and brandon237, welcome back to the forums man. I don't post often, but I have been around for three(ish) years now, and it's nice to have you back

Why thank-you, thank-you very much :)

And reading these replies has also given me another potential perspective: the quantity may not have gone down much... but with some of threads around now...quality has seen the worst of the dip >.<

JoesshittyOs:

A lot of the older guys, (Furburt, DemonicTeddy, etc) went to Furburts self started forum called Yellow Leprechauns or something. I checked it out, but... wasn't working for me.

Fuck me they are all there, Cuthbert, Sassa, pararaptor etc. I just assumed they where all culled at some point and ceased to exist.

I see what you mean about it not working, for some reason I don't want to sign up :/

I like to think they occasionally have a look see, just to see whats happening and if the place got any better.

y'know, i've been a lurker here for a while, but i'm not really remembering the 'good ole days' everyone else seems to be.

i think the only time the forum really changed was that whole extra credits thing. we lost a lot of people. but i think we've steadily begun to get new people to replace those who left. i don't think the current quality of threads will stay the same forever.

thinking back now though, i do miss the amount of hustle an bustle there used to be, with shows and articles getting around a hundred comments the first day they were here. depending on what they were of course.

I mostly lurk. Then I get bored and I post some. That's where I am though nobody cares...

Moo...

brandon237:
For a good while now, I have been avoiding the Escapist for all but my weekly (over)dose of Zero Punctuation. The fact that I just couldn't be bothered to reply to the people who I knew would never listen and the horrible newer design (which to my dismay was never changed back), coupled with a few staff issues at the time that just made me feel unhappy to be involved with the site at all made me all but leave it completely. However, the internet has a way with such things, so one bored day (the day before yesterday) I came back and started posting a bit more regularly again...

That was when it hit me. The place is empty. There are far fewer new topics that I have seen, few topics getting many replies, and almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. Where did everyone go? I still see some of the nice entertaining regulars like Jedamethis and Amnestic, but overall... just one big drop.

So please Escapists, tell me where you are, what happened? It is just tragic :(

We got older and went to universities, we got jobs and some of us even got girlfriends.

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:

brandon237:
For a good while now, I have been avoiding the Escapist for all but my weekly (over)dose of Zero Punctuation. The fact that I just couldn't be bothered to reply to the people who I knew would never listen and the horrible newer design (which to my dismay was never changed back), coupled with a few staff issues at the time that just made me feel unhappy to be involved with the site at all made me all but leave it completely. However, the internet has a way with such things, so one bored day (the day before yesterday) I came back and started posting a bit more regularly again...

That was when it hit me. The place is empty. There are far fewer new topics that I have seen, few topics getting many replies, and almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. Where did everyone go? I still see some of the nice entertaining regulars like Jedamethis and Amnestic, but overall... just one big drop.

We got older and went to universities, we got jobs and some of us even got girlfriends.

Heeeey. I got older, went to collage last year, have had a job for 5 years and have a girlfriend. Yet I still have the time to moderate this place.

I like the new design...
Anyway I guess people just moved on. I know a few people went to the Mellow Leprechauns.

TimeLord:

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:

brandon237:

Heeeey. I got older, went to collage last year, have had a job for 5 years and have a girlfriend. Yet I still have the time to moderate this place.

You are one dedicated son of a gun, that must take some SERIOUS time-management there.

I don't understand how having a girlfriend would decrease Escapist time (significantly anyway) though... unless she was surgically attached in which case not posting here is the least of your problems >.<

They've Gone Sir, They've all gone. And we're back. The very new escapist who are still unexplicably commenters....

Well, I'm Greek, so I've been too busy selling my organs to buy food lately.

im still here, just now that i am more of a lurker these days...

but i still comment on the odd thread or video once in a while.

brandon237:

The new layout scared and confused me. *looks like a deer in headlights*

The new design has really grown on me, I can't remember what the one was like to be honest.

I've been here for a while (I visit every day, don't allways post) and to be honest I haven't noticed a drop in traffic, Though I do notice trends.

TimeLord:

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:

brandon237:

You've got a girlfriend? Damn, first the real one, now our forum-Doctor. Will this never end!

Viral_Lola:

brandon237:

I know how that feels, and with all this white (which you can tone down by about 0.002%[1] if you go for the darkest background option) you really can be caught in the headlights! If anyone was using a CRT screen for this the first time they saw the new design, their heads would have exploded.

[1] I apologise if I have exaggerated here, 0.002% implies that this option is far more useful than it really is at the moment

There aren't many topics on the forums to which I feel the need to reply. Just not a lot of stuff there that interests me.

brandon237:

Viral_Lola:

brandon237:

I know how that feels, and with all this white (which you can tone down by about 0.002%[1] if you go for the darkest background option) you really can be caught in the headlights! If anyone was using a CRT screen for this the first time they saw the new design, their heads would have exploded.

I have missed you guys though.

[1] I apologise if I have exaggerated here, 0.002% implies that this option is far more useful than it really is at the moment

Viral_Lola:

brandon237:

Viral_Lola:

I have missed you guys though.

I am not sure who else has returned (my break off was pretty longish I guess, so people have come and gone and come again (Oh snap, more innuendo from, so surprising (and there I go with the sarcasm, I should keep a tally of these things...))) but I can say that it is, at the very least, interesting to be back :D

I wouldn't exactly call myself a regular or a very recognizable name, not like some of the avatars I recognize, but I try to drop into the forums at least once a week, at least to lurk a bit. Haven't been too active lately due to my schedule so I guess I haven't noticed the lack of forum activity.

I wish I had more time to drop in and visit though. I've had some good discussions with people here over my time as an Escapist. I'll have to try to become more active.

I used to visit this place daily, then around June/July last year I just couldn't be fucked coming here anymore. I have no idea why.

Demon ID:

JoesshittyOs:

A lot of the older guys, (Furburt, DemonicTeddy, etc) went to Furburts self started forum called Yellow Leprechauns or something. I checked it out, but... wasn't working for me.

Fuck me they are all there, Cuthbert, Sassa, pararaptor etc. I just assumed they where all culled at some point and ceased to exist.

I see what you mean about it not working, for some reason I don't want to sign up :/

I like to think they occasionally have a look see, just to see whats happening and if the place got any better.

Is the site Mellow Leprechauns?

Demon ID:

We've been watching for a while now. Waiting for the moment to raise up and take over the website in the name of Leprechauns all over the world.

We are one.
We are many.
We are Leprechauns.

...*Ahem* >_>
Anyway, yeah, we've keep checking back to see what's going on. Have been for a while, actually. :)

Well, I for one, have never left, or felt any discomfort here. I feel I could tell these people about the martian murders I've preformed. Normally when someone says "I killed an alien" you think they live in Texas or Nevada.

Regnes:
It would seem that they've...escaped.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that you have a Calvin and Hobbes avatar saves you from that painful joke. Anyways, I've just been busy with school, but I don't see myself permanently leaving this site.

Sassafrass:
Life happened for me. :D

But as for other members, dunno. Depends who you're taking about really, I see the people I consider to be regulars all the time.

sky14kemea:
It depends which people you're talking about? We all know different people on this forum. xD

It's definitely seemed lately that most pre 2009 forum goers have vanished, which is quite depressing. For some reason I always get happy when I see someone who is 2009 or older.

I'm still here guys!

(Have I already commented on this thread? I can't seem to remember...)

I seem to be of the minority who thinks the site just keeps getting better and better. Feel free to hate me, I don't mind, you tears fuel my mighty Armageddon Machine.

I noticed a decline in quality of threads and consistent members cropping up, but then I never dug the forums on this place a whole lot. I love the (slightly) more mature and integrated community, but I never liked the elitism nor repetitiveness/inanity of it.

Ergo, I lurk. I've been here for a while and barely have any posts.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked