If someone is a post-op transsexual, are they obligated to tell the person they are pursuing/dating?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

I should have expected such a poorly thought out reply from you.

Personal attacks are not necessary, you can disagree with what I have to say without insulting me.

Mortai Gravesend:
People saying it in this thread isn't the same as saying it to their girlfriend/boyfriend. Or is the standard you expect of transsexuals that they tell someone online somewhere and not the person they're dating?

I would expect(or hope) that any transsexual who is considering dating someone to tell them on the first couple of dates, so that they are not mislead.

Missing the point entirely. I don't know how I can say it more explicitly. Pointing out that people are saying they wouldn't date a transsexual in this thread doesn't address what I said. I said they should tell whoever they're planning to date that they have an issue with transsexuals. Otherwise they're being dishonest and lying.

Mortai Gravesend:

I said they should tell whoever they're planning to date that they have an issue with transsexuals. Otherwise they're being dishonest and lying.

Why? Why does every guy who doesn't want to date a transsexual have to go around announcing that they only date "real" women? The minority should have to make it clear that they are transsexual.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

I said they should tell whoever they're planning to date that they have an issue with transsexuals. Otherwise they're being dishonest and lying.

Why? Why does every guy who doesn't want to date a transsexual have to go around announcing that they only date "real" women? The minority should have to make it clear that they are transsexual.

Because he's the one with the problem with them, he needs to be honest about it. So ridiculous to expect them to cater to you. You don't like it, say it. I mean if you have a real issue with it, then make it clear. You have a solution. If you won't take such an easy solution don't whine if you're not told.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Because he's the one with the problem with them, he needs to be honest about it. So ridiculous to expect them to cater to you. You don't like it, say it. I mean if you have a real issue with it, then make it clear. You have a solution. If you won't take such an easy solution don't whine if you're not told.

I should be able to go into a straight bar, and assume that everybody there is natural. I also have a problem with furies, so should I have to tell every potential person I meet that I don't like having sex in an animal costume?

It's not asking to much for transsexuals to be honest with people about who they are and who they were.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Ok. This is where I interject.

You think that I should inform every girl I happen to date that I don't like transexuals? How would she process that information? Would she think that I thought she looked androgynous?

I'm sorry but I'm not the one playing cloak and dagger. Why should I have to screen all of my potential dates just because they don't have the stones (literally) to tell me that they may not be what I'M looking for?

GigaHz:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Ok. This is where I interject.

You think that I should inform every girl I happen to date that I don't like transexuals? How would she process that information? Would she think that I thought she looked androgynous?

I'm sorry but I'm not the one playing cloak and dagger. Why should I have to screen all of my potential dates just because they don't have the stones (literally) to tell me that they may not be what I'M looking for?

If you care that much, then say it. Otherwise don't complain. They probably don't want people against transsexuals, get the guts to tell people you don't like them. If you don't have the guts to tell that to the girls you meet, that's your problem. Don't like how they'll take it? Suck it up.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

I should be able to go into a straight bar, and assume that everybody there is natural.

You shouldn't be able to assume anything. Sorry, but your little entitlement complex shouldn't be pandered to.

I also have a problem with furies, so should I have to tell every potential person I meet that I don't like having sex in an animal costume?

If you care that much and want to look ignorant about furries.

It's not asking to much for transsexuals to be honest with people about who they are and who they were.

It's not too much to ask you to be upfront about what you want. Not too much to ask for you to stop expecting people to cater to you. If you don't like that they don't, that's your problem. You deal with it instead of whining about how they should do what you like when you have a solution you're too entitled and lazy to enact yourself.

Mortai Gravesend:

If you care that much, then say it. Otherwise don't complain. They probably don't want people against transsexuals, get the guts to tell people you don't like them. If you don't have the guts to tell that to the girls you meet, that's your problem. Don't like how they'll take it? Suck it up.

So... I should risk offending all my dates by implying that they are androgynous just to (on the severe offchance, mind you) protect some person who doesn't have the integrity to be upfront about their sexual identity.

Well... I hope there are transexuals out there with some integrity because that is the saddest form of reasoning I've ever read.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

I should be able to go into a straight bar, and assume that everybody there is natural.

You shouldn't be able to assume anything. Sorry, but your little entitlement complex shouldn't be pandered to.

I also have a problem with furies, so should I have to tell every potential person I meet that I don't like having sex in an animal costume?

It's not too much to ask you to be upfront about what you want. Not too much to ask for you to stop expecting people to cater to you. If you don't like that they don't, that's your problem. You deal with it instead of whining about how they should do what you like when you have a solution you're too entitled and lazy to enact yourself.

It has nothing to do with being "entitled". It has everything to do with a transsexual is misleading a person when they allow them to think they are the gender they are trying to imitate. As you can see from reading this thread, many people don't recognize transsexuals as anything more than the gender they were born as, so many people would have a problem if they found out the person was a transsexual. With that in mind, when a transsexual knows that they are intentionally misleading a person, they are the one who is lying to the other person to manipulate them because they know that their partner might not want to date them if they find out their a transsexual.

GigaHz:

Mortai Gravesend:

So... I should risk offending all my dates by implying that they are androgynous just to (on the severe offchance, mind you) protect some person who doesn't have the integrity to be upfront about their sexual identity.

Well... I hope there are transexuals out there with some integrity because that is the saddest form of reasoning I've ever read.

No, because hopefully you have the integrity to tell people what you want to know and what you dislike. Transsexuals don't need to tell you for integrity.

Also, if you don't have the guts to ask someone, then deal with the consequences. You're expecting people to pander to your lack of balls.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

It has nothing to do with being "entitled". It has everything to do with a transsexual is misleading a person when they allow them to think they are the gender they are trying to imitate.

Prove it. Gender identity is self-identified, so good luck with that.

As you can see from reading this thread, many people don't recognize transsexuals as anything more than the gender they were born as, so many people would have a problem if they found out the person was a transsexual.

And those people's opinions do not shape reality.

With that in mind, when a transsexual knows that they are intentionally misleading a person, they are the one who is lying to the other person to manipulate them because they know that their partner might not want to date them if they find out their a transsexual.

Uh no. Prove that the reason to do it would be to mislead them to get a date and not some other reason, like the fact that they might tell others which could result in discrimination. I mean we all know your motive here is because you hate anything not you.

Mortai Gravesend:

I mean we all know your motive here is because you hate anything not you.

You need to look at the MTV link I gave earlier as evidence that there are transsexuals who know how some people will react, so they don't tell their partner, and how the guy reacted in the video is no surprise at all.

I don't hate people that are not like me, because that would mean I would have to hate about a couple billion people I have never met, nor will I meet.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

You need to look at the MTV link I gave earlier as evidence that there are transsexuals who know how some people will react, so they don't tell their partner, and how the guy reacted in the video is no surprise at all.

I don't hate people that are not like me, because that would mean I would have to hate about a couple billion people I have never met, nor will I meet.

You need to use a logical thought process for a change. That some people would do that does not mean that all of them do it for that reason. They might, for instance, not know how someone will react and prefer to have a reasonable guess before telling them or simply breaking it off if they don't think the person would react well.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

You need to use a logical thought process for a change. That some people would do that does not mean that all of them do it for that reason. They might, for instance, not know how someone will react and prefer to have a reasonable guess before telling them or simply breaking it off if they don't think the person would react well.

I'm not asking every transsexual to tell random people what they are, I'm just saying that they should tell people they want to date what they are. And if you think the person you want to date might hurt you if they find out your a transsexual, than is that person really worth dating?

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

I'm not asking every transsexual to tell random people what they are, I'm just saying that they should tell people they want to date what they are. And if you think the person you want to date might hurt you if they find out your a transsexual, than is that person really worth dating?

The people don't even need to hurt them. Spreading it around to others who would discriminate against them or who have no business knowing anyway would be a reason not to tell someone. And maybe they don't know a person well enough at the start to decide how they will react.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

The people don't even need to hurt them. Spreading it around to others who would discriminate against them or who have no business knowing anyway would be a reason not to tell someone. And maybe they don't know a person well enough at the start to decide how they will react.

You make it seem like the only person a transsexual would date is a coworker, which is bs. If you live in the suburbs and you go to a bar in the local major city, why should a person be up front with a potential person that they might date?

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

You make it seem like the only person a transsexual would date is a coworker, which is bs. If you live in the suburbs and you go to a bar in the local major city, why should a person be up front with a potential person that they might date?

What the hell are you talking about? Where does anything I said imply coworker?

As for your question, I don't see why they should be up front to someone they just met in a bar. They hardly know the person, not going to blab something to them they wouldn't to someone they know better than that.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

As for your question, I don't see why they should be up front to someone they just met in a bar. They hardly know the person, not going to blab something to them they wouldn't to someone they know better than that.

I may be overlooking something, but how else could a transsexual be discriminated against if there ex-partner told other people about them? If you meet some random guy on a dating site and they find out and tell their friends, how would that affect you? I think you would still be able to take out a loan, buy a house/car, and go to work.

Because the person at the bar may not like transsexuals.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

I may be overlooking something, but how else could a transsexual be discriminated against if there ex-partner told other people about them? If you meet some random guy on a dating site and they find out and tell their friends, how would that affect you? I think you would still be able to take out a loan, buy a house/car, and go to work.

They could simply be someone who knows people you know or will have to interact with. That isn't just coworkers. And loans, houses, cars, and work aren't the only places discrimination occurs. Socially.

So what if they don't? If you go pick up random people at a bar don't expect them to tell you everything about themselves.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

They could simply be someone who knows people you know or will have to interact with. That isn't just coworkers. And loans, houses, cars, and work aren't the only places discrimination occurs. Socially.

So what if they don't? If you go pick up random people at a bar don't expect them to tell you everything about themselves.

So its better to lie to the person until they find out later and then they tell everybody? I don't see how that's better. Also, what kind of friends do you have if they are the kind of people that don't like transsexuals?

A person has a right to know whether or not the person at the bar is who they say they are.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

So its better to lie to the person until they find out later and then they tell everybody? I don't see how that's better. Also, what kind of friends do you have if they are the kind of people that don't like transsexuals?

A person has a right to know whether or not the person at the bar is who they say they are.

It's not a lie. Just because you're under the delusion it is doesn't make it so. And preferably if the person is anti-trans they'd just break it off not tell them. Duh. And do you only ever interact with friends?

Okay, they do know. They are women. Don't like it? Tough.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

It's not a lie. Just because you're under the delusion it is doesn't make it so. And preferably if the person is anti-trans they'd just break it off not tell them. Duh. And do you only ever interact with friends?

Then who exactly who you be afraid of finding out that your transsexual?

no...how would they know unless they are told?

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Then who exactly who you be afraid of finding out that your transsexual?

no...how would they know unless they are told?

Asking me to enumerate all possible people a transsexual may not wish to know is stupid.

Because it's evident unless the surgery was particularly bad. Gender identity has nothing to do with their history.

Mortai Gravesend:

Because it's evident unless the surgery was particularly bad. Gender identity has nothing to do with their history.

People who a transsexual might want to have sex with/date might disagree, and they have a right to make that choice.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

People who a transsexual might want to have sex with/date might disagree, and they have a right to make that choice.

Sure they can disagree. But since they're factually incorrect and your argument was that they don't know when they actually do, that's their problem. They want to know something more that simply isn't any of their business until possibly later.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Sure they can disagree. But since they're factually incorrect and your argument was that they don't know when they actually do, that's their problem. They want to know something more that simply isn't any of their business until possibly later.

I disagree, if a person thinks your a women, then you should be upfront with them before any sex or steps towards a relationship is started. Again people should have the right to know if the person they might sleep with is a transsexual or if the person they might date is a transsexual.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

I disagree, if a person thinks your a women, then you should be upfront with them before any sex or steps towards a relationship is started. Again people should have the right to know if the person they might sleep with is a transsexual or if the person they might date is a transsexual.

No, they don't have a right to know anymore than they have a right to know your attitude on transsexuals the second you meet them. Anything else is simply you being one sided.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

No, they don't have a right to know anymore than they have a right to know your attitude on transsexuals the second you meet them. Anything else is simply you being one sided.

yes they do, they have a right do decide whether or not they want to have sex with a transsexual/date a transsexual. The transsexual should not be the only one that gets to make that decision.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

yes they do, they have a right do decide whether or not they want to have sex with a transsexual/date a transsexual. The transsexual should not be the only one that gets to make that decision.

Nope. They only have a right to as much information based on their preferences as they're forced to dole out based on the preferences of others. Otherwise that's just a self-centered argument.

axlryder:
just what the title says. This is mainly geared towards men dating post-op woman, but obviously it could go other ways as well.

This seems like such an easy, common sense question.

Are they OBLIGATED to tell the person they are dating? No, nobody is really obligated to tell anyone anything unless it could cause direct harm - for example, if I'm HIV positive and I know it, I'm obligated to tell a sexual partner before penetrative anal sex without a condom; knowing this is high risk.

But otherwise? No, no obligation.

Is it WISE to tell somebody you are dating that you are a post-op transsexual? I think so, yes, regardless of obligation; if you want a meaningful relationship with somebody hiding such an essential part of your identity (gender) seems very foolish and unwise.

Again, common sense. Are you obligated to tell your new girlfriend you have 12 children from a previous marriage? No, but it's probably a wise idea.

Mortai Gravesend:

No, because hopefully you have the integrity to tell people what you want to know and what you dislike. Transsexuals don't need to tell you for integrity.

Also, if you don't have the guts to ask someone, then deal with the consequences. You're expecting people to pander to your lack of balls.

Ok. I'll present you with a similar scenario, and you can tell me what the person in question should do.

(Yes, I know it's not VERY similar. Unfortunately there are only so many sexual scenarios that relate to this kind of a situation. This features the same moral implications.)

Person A has an STD. Doesn't matter which one, they have it.

Person B doesn't have an STD.

Person B hooks up with Person A. Person A has the option to reveal that they have an STD.

Keep in mind, Person A doesn't have to reveal that they have an STD because:
- a condom may prevent the transfer of the disease
- Person A knows that B will always use a condom
- the STD is not clearly visible unless you know where to look

Leaving the possibility that there is an equal chance that Person B will or wont get the STD, should person A reveal that they have an STD?

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Nope. They only have a right to as much information based on their preferences as they're forced to dole out based on the preferences of others. Otherwise that's just a self-centered argument.

The only self centered argument is that in favor of transsexuals misleading someone so that only the transsexual gets to make a choice. To disregard the other persons feelings is incredibility self centered.

GigaHz:

Mortai Gravesend:

Ok. I'll present you with a similar scenario, and you can tell me what the person in question should do.

(Yes, I know it's not VERY similar. Unfortunately there are only so many sexual scenarios that relate to this kind of a situation. This features the same moral implications.)

Person A has an STD. Doesn't matter which one, they have it.

Person B doesn't have an STD.

Person B hooks up with Person A. Person A has the option to reveal that they have an STD.

Keep in mind, Person A doesn't have to reveal that they have an STD because:
- a condom may prevent the transfer of the disease
- Person A knows that B will always use a condom
- the STD is not clearly visible unless you know where to look

Leaving the possibility that there is an equal chance that Person B will or wont get the STD, should person A reveal that they have an STD?

Disagree that it has the same moral implications. STDs are harmful.

Mortai Gravesend:

Disagree that it has the same moral implications. STDs are harmful.

Answer my original question, just for the fun of it.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

The only self centered argument is that in favor of transsexuals misleading someone so that only the transsexual gets to make a choice. To disregard the other persons feelings is incredibility self centered.

How is it self-centered for me to argue for someone else? What a bizarre claim. At least I'd say that were it coming from most people.

But nope, you're disregarding the feelings of transsexuals by not telling them upfront that you're against them. You're not letting them make the choice.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked