"Random fact of the day" thread.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The town of Doncaster is technically a part of Scotland

Anitediphobia: The fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you.

The fun fact that you eat about 8 or so spiders a night is not actually a fact, but a falsehood perpetrated by a scientist for an experiment to see how quickly information travels around the world.

"Magic numbers" is an actual technical term in nuclear physics. These magical numbers are the numbers of nucleons that make up extremely stable nuclei. Nuclei with more or less nucleons are less stable until the next magic number is reached.

Water expands when frozen. This is due to the structure of the H2O molecules that causes them to have intermolecular bonds strong enough to form a sort of crystal structure when the temperature becomes low enough.

Lukewarm water freezes faster than cold water. While apparently a fact I do not know the background behind it, nor do I quite believe it is a fact, but I thought I'd share it.

Start from any page in Wikipedia. Click the (I think) first link in that page, and every subsequent page. You will eventually end up on the philosophy page.

All that I could come up with at this time. I'll see if I can't recall more later ;)

Mega Man 1's Elceman stage theme is a partial remix Journey's 'faithfully', the opening cords to be exact

Mega Man X3's Neon Tiger Stage theme is a remix of Guns and Roses 'My Michelle'

all eight Maverick bosses in X5 are named after band member's in Guns and Roses (i didn't know there was 8 people in the band, but apparently there was ...)
Grizzly Slash - Saul Hudson aka 'Slash'
Squid Adler - Steve Adler
Izzy Glow - Izzy Stradlin
Duff McWhalen - Duff Mckagan
The Skiver - Michel 'high in the sky' Monroe
Axle the Red - Axle Rose, (and the boss is based off a rose no less)
Dark Dizzy - Dizzy Reed
Mattrex - Matt Sorum

and Axle the reds stage is one big G&R reference at the beginning and end with the cannons covered in roses

Wilhelm II did not start the First World War.

From the retirement of Richard Cromwell in 1658 to the recalling of the Long Parliament in early 1659, England was technically a military dictatorship.

The Artist is the first silent film to win Best Picture since 1927. The first Oscars had two Best Picture winners, one for the best "audience" film, and one for artistic achievement. Why we still don't have this remains a mystery.

In Resident Evil 4, Salazar's two bodyguards, one of which you fight in the sewers with nitrogen tanks, were his butlers.

To date, James Bond has been played by a Scotsman, a Welshman, two Englishmen, an Irishman, and an Australian.

Ian Fleming, the creator of Bond, is the cousin to Christopher Lee, who was cast as Scaramanga in The Man with the Golden Gun.

India was originally ruled by The British East Indie Company, until the British government took over in 1858

Yassen:
Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) is no longer the official name for this mental disorder. It is now called Disassociative Identity Disorder (DID). What's more, the way to tell whether someone is actually suffering from this condition is the number of personalities they exhibit. If they exhibit only two, they are probably lying, as the vast majority of cases exhibit at least three personalities (one being the 'host'). One of the most extreme cases had a person with over fifty personalities in their head, some as mentally young as five and others as old as sixty.

Usually, the 'host' will be unaware of the other personalities, but the others can be fully aware of the host and even have opinions about them. A good example of DID is the Three faces of Eve, which is based on a real person.

*Looks at avatar*
*Reads post*
They fit so well together, its not funny...

OT: In the state of Pennsylvania, its illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator in your front lawn.

baconsarnie:

Hixy:

Eddie the head:
We don't orbit around the sun. We orbit around a common center of gravity with the sun.

Thats wrong to, we do orbit the sun and the sun in turn orbits the galactic core. You need to look up the definition of orbit, we cant orbit both.

Technically it is correct, the same as in a binary star system, but with the sun and earth the centre of rotation is (i think) inside the sun itself, or at least close enough to not make any difference when approximating.

Yeah that's what I was getting at but I was wrong when I said center of gravity it is canter of mass. But you are right the center of mass is somewhere inside the sun.

Damn I made a lot of typo's on that.

In the average lifetime, a person will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the equator.

dvd_72:
Water expands when frozen. This is due to the structure of the H2O molecules that causes them to have intermolecular bonds strong enough to form a sort of crystal structure when the temperature becomes low enough.

Correct, and easily provable if you put a full bottle of water in the freezer. Also related - do not put a full bottle of water in the freezer because it would burst and you'll lose both. =/

dvd_72:
"Magic numbers" is an actual technical term in nuclear physics. These magical numbers are the numbers of nucleons that make up extremely stable nuclei. Nuclei with more or less nucleons are less stable until the next magic number is reached.

"Magic numbers" are used in computer science, too. Not exactly a technical term but close enough - "magic numbers" would be some constant that just works, usually just by looking at it one wouldn't know why. For example in order to get the inverse square root of a number (useful in graphics) one can, well, calculate the inverse square root, or for better performance multiply the number by a magic constant.

DoPo:

dvd_72:

"Magic numbers" are used in computer science, too. Not exactly a technical term but close enough - "magic numbers" would be some constant that just works, usually just by looking at it one wouldn't know why. For example in order to get the inverse square root of a number (useful in graphics) one can, well, calculate the inverse square root, or for better performance multiply the number by a magic constant.

Couldn't you... classify that as maths rather than computer science? ... then again computer science is basically maths and logic isn't it?

Hmm... so magic exists in maths and physics! .... and it isn't magic! This ought to piss off those bronies. (for whom I would like to state that I hold no ill feelings towards! You know, just as a disclaimer)

Infernai:
Did you know that there is no word you can write with the bottom row of the keyboard? It's True, go ahead and try it if you don't honestly believe me..

What about mnm?

uneek:

Qitz:
What we call a "Grammar Nazi" actually has a word in Finnish called Pilkunnussija which means A person who believes it is their destiny to stamp out all spelling and punctuation mistakes at the cost of popularity, self-esteem and mental well-being. which translates to Nitpicker but is more commonly described as a "Comma Fucker."

Somebody read Cracked.com today.

Yup :P

There's a Cold Spot in Universe that has been theorized to be an imprint of another Universe beyond our own due to Quantum Entanglement by Laura Mersini-Houghton. Though I wouldn't count on that being true but it would be astounding if it was.

The longest grammatically correct sentence using one word in the English language is:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Both Christopher Walken and Sylvester Stallone auditioned for the part of Han Solo in A New Hope. Billy Dee Williams also tried out for the role, and was later cast as Lando Calrissian.

Benjamin Franklin invented the Cat-Flap.

Bees cannot see the color red.

Ledan:

Infernai:
Did you know that there is no word you can write with the bottom row of the keyboard? It's True, go ahead and try it if you don't honestly believe me..

What about mnm?

That is an acronym, not a word.

MetaKnight19:
The town of Doncaster is technically a part of Scotland

A fan of Blackadder are we?

webepoop:
The longest grammatically correct sentence using one word in the English language is:

Wait, what? You're going to have to go into more detail with that one.

The Night Shade:
Crows have very good memory they can remember faces and certain traits on the other hand the gold fish can't remember past a day.

Crows are also capable of the concept of revenge, and can teach other Crows the same thing. There was a experiment done where the scientists wore masks and harrassed a bunch of crows with net guns. After a while, the crows would attack them when they went out with the masks on, and after a while even MORE crows would do the same, even though they had not been harassed.

My fact:

Female hyenas are actual in charge of their societies. This is because they are often more aggressive, and the chemical for this is called "androgen" which is also the chemical that makes MALE hyenas. They also have a sort of "phantom penis" that is actually a 7in long clitoris and a "pseudo-scrotum" with a birth canal that runs right through the middle of it. Unsurprisingly, this is also the reason why almost 10% of female hyenas die during child-birth.

dvd_72:

DoPo:

dvd_72:

Couldn't you... classify that as maths rather than computer science? ... then again computer science is basically maths and logic isn't it?

Hmm... so magic exists in maths and physics! .... and it isn't magic! This ought to piss off those bronies. (for whom I would like to state that I hold no ill feelings towards! You know, just as a disclaimer)

Well, that specific example could be Maths related but the idea is that you might have a piece of code that takes some value...and multiplies it by 3/4 for no apparent reason. However, it works as intended and you wouldn't know why exactly just by looking at it.

webepoop:

If you don't mind me asking why is that grammatically correct and not just the same thing only with chicken?

Scotland's national animal is the unicorn.

The for punctuation for an exclaimed question is an "Interrobang" and looks like this: ‽

On a related note, people of the ask for a form of typing that denotes irony. Well, it's called the Percontation Mark, and it looks like this: ؟

TIMESWORDSMAN:

Ledan:

Infernai:

What about mnm?

Originally yes, but nowadays it has become its own word. Like TV, acronym for Tele Vision (or televized vision), both of which are commonly used as words.

In 2007, the Band of the Welsh Guards notoriously played the Imperial March to greet Saudi Arabian King Abdullah when he visited the United Kingdom - Wikipedia and other news websites. Best part is in all of the videos he does not seem to know what the song was about.

The word 'Sniper' came from an old English sport of shooting snipes. Snipes are small and agile birds and killing one with a single shot was considered the mark of an expert. In modern times being a sniper is a two man team with one as a spotter and the other a shooter.

The creator of Tetris was a Russian.

There was going to be a state called Jefferson which consisted of northern California and part of Oregon, since the north consisted mostly of rural areas and had a completley set of ideals to the southern part of the state. The only reason it did not become a state was because it was to become a state on December 8th 1941 and the US entering WW2 after the pearl harbor attacks took top priority over the state. Many residents of the area that was supposed to become Jefferson believe that they are in the state of Jefferson due to how different they are from the rest of California.

Eddie the head:

webepoop:

If you don't mind me asking why is that grammatically correct and not just the same thing only with chicken?

Dr Snakeman:

webepoop:

Wait, what? You're going to have to go into more detail with that one.

Quote from the super magic of wikipedia:

Wikipedia:
buffalo" (meaning "to bully or intimidate"), and when the punctuation and grammar is expanded so that the sentence reads as follows: "Buffalo buffalo that Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo." The meaning becomes even clearer when synonyms are used: "Buffalo-origin bison that other Buffalo bison intimidate, themselves bully Buffalo bison." (See below.)
[Those] (Buffalo buffalo) [whom] (Buffalo buffalo) buffalo, buffalo (Buffalo buffalo).
[Those] buffalo(es) from Buffalo [that are intimidated by] buffalo(es) from Buffalo intimidate buffalo(es) from Buffalo.
Bison from Buffalo, New York, who are intimidated by other bison in their community, also happen to intimidate other bison in their community.
THE buffalo FROM Buffalo WHO ARE buffaloED BY buffalo FROM Buffalo, buffalo (verb) OTHER buffalo FROM Buffalo.
Buffalo buffalo (main clause subject) [which the] Buffalo buffalo (subordinate clause subject) buffalo (subordinate clause verb) buffalo (main clause verb) Buffalo buffalo (main clause direct object).

Most toilets flush in the key of E flat

Ledan:

TIMESWORDSMAN:

Ledan:

What about mnm?

Originally yes, but nowadays it has become its own word. Like TV, acronym for Tele Vision (or televized vision), both of which are commonly used as words.

Perhaps, but if you are referring to the candy, then the correct text abbreviation is M&M.
And if you are referring to the "Musician", the his name is Spelled "Eminem".

In fact, in nearly all situations, saving of course "Master of Nonprofit Management" and other such convenient titles, "M&M" or "M and M" are more common in text than "MnM".

Guess I should contribute.

Graham's number is one of the largest numbers ever used in a serious mathematical proof. The number is so incomprehensibly large that if each individual digit was one Planck volume(think millions of times smaller than a neutron), it still wouldn't fit in the known universe. The inventor of it, Ronald Graham, had to invent a whole new system of notation just to represent it.

Thank you TVTropes.

Only like 2 or 3 species have sexual intercourse for pleasure. I think they are: humans, baboons, and maybe dolphins.

When you 'crack' a joint (such as your knuckle) what you're actually doing is releasing air bubbles that get trapped in the fluid between all of your joints. Also, doing so will not give you arthritis, that's just an old wife's tale.

nikki191:

A british soldier landed in normandy during ww2 with a long bow and killed german soldiers with it

Jack Churchill. No relation to Winston. He was a member of the original Commando corp established in WW2. He is the only soldier of the war to be credited with a kill by an arrow. He also carried a claymore sword as well as the bow.

Uber Evil:

Quote from the super magic of wikipedia:

Wikipedia:
buffalo" (meaning "to bully or intimidate"), and when the punctuation and grammar is expanded so that the sentence reads as follows: "Buffalo buffalo that Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo." The meaning becomes even clearer when synonyms are used: "Buffalo-origin bison that other Buffalo bison intimidate, themselves bully Buffalo bison." (See below.)
[Those] (Buffalo buffalo) [whom] (Buffalo buffalo) buffalo, buffalo (Buffalo buffalo).
[Those] buffalo(es) from Buffalo [that are intimidated by] buffalo(es) from Buffalo intimidate buffalo(es) from Buffalo.
Bison from Buffalo, New York, who are intimidated by other bison in their community, also happen to intimidate other bison in their community.
THE buffalo FROM Buffalo WHO ARE buffaloED BY buffalo FROM Buffalo, buffalo (verb) OTHER buffalo FROM Buffalo.
Buffalo buffalo (main clause subject) [which the] Buffalo buffalo (subordinate clause subject) buffalo (subordinate clause verb) buffalo (main clause verb) Buffalo buffalo (main clause direct object).

Huh, that's kind of cool.

Deathmageddon:
Only like 2 or 3 species have sexual intercourse for pleasure. I think they are: humans, baboons, and maybe dolphins.

Definitely dolphins, I didn't know about baboons, though.

Because I can't stand to just comment on somebody else's fact, let me contribute again:

Each shuffled deck of cards is a miracle. It's highly unlikely that the cards have ever been in the exact same order. Ever. In the entire history.

How unlikely? Well, a full deck (without the jokers) has 52 cards and that means there are exactly 52! (factorial) ways to order the cards.

The number is more than the estimated number of atoms in the Milky Way.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked