"Random fact of the day" thread.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Here's a fun one, what colour is the sun? If you said yellow you just failed. Think of what happens to something when it becomes really, really, REALLY hot. It becomes white right? That's where the expression 'white hot' comes from.

Well the sun is so hot it fits that description perfectly, it's actually a giant white ball of flame. We only see it as yellow due to the influence of our atmosphere.

Robert Ewing:
The largest non-technical word is antidisestablishmentarianism, with a mere 28 letters.

There are several others larger than that but they were artificially created to be as long as possible.

If you google do a barrel roll it will obey.

Almon Strowger was the person who created automatic telephone exchange. However, he was an undertaker. He only created the technology, because the wife of one of his competitors worked as a telephone-operator. This meant that when people called, there was a person manually transferring their call to whatever it was for, and the wife transferred the calls to her husband instead of other undertakers. So probably

Para199x:

dvd_72:
Anitediphobia: The fear that somehow, somewhere, a duck is watching you.

The fun fact that you eat about 8 or so spiders a night is not actually a fact, but a falsehood perpetrated by a scientist for an experiment to see how quickly information travels around the world.

"Magic numbers" is an actual technical term in nuclear physics. These magical numbers are the numbers of nucleons that make up extremely stable nuclei. Nuclei with more or less nucleons are less stable until the next magic number is reached.

Water expands when frozen. This is due to the structure of the H2O molecules that causes them to have intermolecular bonds strong enough to form a sort of crystal structure when the temperature becomes low enough.

Lukewarm water freezes faster than cold water. While apparently a fact I do not know the background behind it, nor do I quite believe it is a fact, but I thought I'd share it.

Start from any page in Wikipedia. Click the (I think) first link in that page, and every subsequent page. You will eventually end up on the philosophy page.

All that I could come up with at this time. I'll see if I can't recall more later ;)

Just tried the wikipedia thing, i got stuck in a loop which doesn't include philosophy, sorry :P

It's actually the first link not contained with in parenthesis or brackets, and technically not all but something close to 95%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Getting_to_Philosophy

Relaver:
There is about as much caffene in a apple as in one cup of coffee.

Incorrect, there is no caffeine in apples. This is a common misconception based on Caffic acid in apples.

It is estimated that 1% of people have schizophrenia.
A penny is worth less than the cost of it's materials (zinc and copper cost 1.7 cents)
When a person is sleep deprived, parts of their brain will fall asleep while they are awake.

Calling the capital of Thailand Bangkok is the equivalent of calling the Russian capital Muscovy or the capital of the UK Londinium; it hasn't be called that in Thailand for centuries. They call it Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit or just Krung Thep for short.

RuralGamer:
Calling the capital of Thailand Bangkok is the equivalent of calling the Russian capital Muscovy or the capital of the UK Londinium; it hasn't be called that in Thailand for centuries. They call it Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit or just Krung Thep for short.

Holy shit. That must all the names of their royal elephants throughout history or something.

Para199x:
Just tried the wikipedia thing, i got stuck in a loop which doesn't include philosophy, sorry :P

It's the first link not in brackets or italics.

heres a fact of the day, my ass hurts and im having stir fry for dinner

Biology:Most dinosaurs had feathers
Science: The area slightly outside the sun is hotter than the sun itself
random fact about Michigan: Exit 42 leads to Adams road (Hitchhikers guide reference) Exit 69 leads to Big Beaver road.

Fappy:

RuralGamer:

Holy shit. That must all the names of their royal elephants throughout history or something.

According to Wikipedia, it translates to "The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarma".
Personally I think they should officially cut the end off, all 95%...

Another fact: In WW2, the Allies spent more money, time, manpower and other resources trying to learn about the German nuclear weapons programme than the German government actually spent on said programme.

electrons and photons are particles, but when they pass through a gap they become waves, unless they are being observed

The youngest person ever to get pregnant was 5.

I have poop in my fridge, no joke and no pun intended...

tr00per7:

that's just not trying

TacticalAssassin1:

dontlooknow:
If you drink an average-sized glass of water, the chances are that you'll take in at least one molecule that passed through the bladder of Oliver Cromwell.

Richard Dawkins teach you that?

Not true - I taught Richard Dawkins that... yep, that's a fact.

Gah, double post

Arizona has more places called "Hell" than other state in the USA

Bowhead whales are believed to have the longest life span of any mammal on the planet. Some are almost 200 years old.

Clint Eastwood's first film role was as an uncredited extra in the 1955 film Revenge of the Creature, the sequel to The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

It is physically impossible to lick your elbow.

67% of all statistics are made up.

The Real Sandman:

Hell has also had records of snowfall. Meaning Hell did, in fact, freeze over.

Hedgehogs float. I think it's all the air trapped in their spines...

Super Six One:
Dogs cannot look up, it's true big Al says so!

My dog can. I see her doing it when I walk up my staircase.

Kurt Cobian shot himself one month after Justin Bieber was born.

The word "Hell" never appears in the original editions of th bible, but instead comes from the Norse word "Hel". Instead of "hell", the word used (I forget it now) referred to the pit outside of cities where trash and the bodies of the poor were burned.
The Bible also never says that Lucifer recides in/over Hell--not entirely sure about this one, though.

This guy:

is played by the same guy as this guy:

and this guy:

The More You Know.....

Scarecrow 8:
Zetta is a prefix in the metric system denoting a factor of 10 to the power of 21 or 1000000000000000000000. It can also be used as an adjective, thanks to one crazy Japaneses video game character.

Are you on about The World Ends With You? I always wondered why that bloke kept saying Zetta.

OT: IF you Google "Google" you break the internet... No, but in all seriousness, try googling "Do a barrel roll", which Google will happily oblige. Or Google Recursion, and it will ask you if you meant Recursion.

Also, in York it is legal to kill a Scotsman if they are carrying a bow and arrow.

Kellogs Cornflakes were invented to help stop masturbation. Mr. Kellog felt masturbation was a sin. The Cub Scouts were also invented to stop boys masturbating.

Lamborghini originally made tractors, but after buying a Ferrari that he felt wasn't very good, decided to make his own sports car.

Finally, I will tell you what aposiopesis is

During the Republic, Roman consuls who lead their troops to sufficiently glorious victories were granted a Triumph, a grand parade from outside Rome to the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus at the center. The victorious general rode in a chariot accompanied by a slave who's role it was to (1) hold a crown above his head and (2) whisper in his ear "Remember you are only a man."

The Gettysburg Address borrowed heavily from a funeral oration given in Athens during the Peloponnesian War more than 2000 years before.

Allowing each 2 square feet in which to stand, the entire human population of the world would fit onto Lougheed Island, Canada, in the Arctic Ocean.

The Milky Way, while commonly thought of as a spiral galaxy, probably is a barred spiral galaxy. Also, the Milky Way has four celestial arms.

nikki191:

Elementary - Dear Watson:
[quote="nikki191" post="18.352415.13971204"

A british soldier landed in normandy during ww2 with a long bow and killed german soldiers with it[/quote]

That is gosh darn awesome! You have made my month with this fact! Are there any books on him?

i was mistaken .. he rampaged around france in 1940 during the british retreat with a bike, longbow and 2 handed sword killing germans not in 1944.

he also led 2 companies of commandos again with a 2 handed sword in a raid in norway and when transfered to the pacific he was apparently annoyed the atomic bombs were dropped and is famously quoted as saying "if it hadn't been for those damned Yanks we could have kept the war going for another 10 years."

this nutter was mad jack churchill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
http://www.wwiihistorymagazine.com/2005/july/col-profiles.html

WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE MAKE A GAME ABOUT THIS GUY!
I would be crazy. It'd be like CoD2 + Skyrim (or Turok, if you prefer).

The Real Sandman:

Bowhead whales are believed to have the longest life span of any mammal on the planet. Some are almost 200 years old.

Clint Eastwood's first film role was as an uncredited extra in the 1955 film Revenge of the Creature, the sequel to The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

It is physically impossible to lick your elbow.

67% of all statistics are made up.

Except that you can lick your elbow... Some people can, some can't.

O.T Appearently it is possible to sexually transmit Brazil Nut. That is eating Brazil nuts, having powchickapowow with someone who is allergic with brazil nut and she/he will have some allergic reactions. That's what the word on the road is anyhow, take it for what it is.

1) tits are cool
2) i like tits

two count em TWO little gems from my deep wellspring of knowledge. Im spoiling you guys.

tr00per7:

hows your ass and how was your stirfry?

RuralGamer:

Doesn't roll off the tongue quite like Bang kok. Its got that "pop"

SurfinTaxt:

tr00per7:

my ass is better since I got that anus fungal cream, soothes the pain.

also, my stirfry tasted more like a burger and chips, probably because thats what I actually had so that fact was wrong, im having stirfry today though.

Your eyes are not a seperate organ, they are part of your brain.

tr00per7:

SurfinTaxt:

tr00per7:

my ass is better since I got that anus fungal cream, soothes the pain.

also, my stirfry tasted more like a burger and chips, probably because thats what I actually had so that fact was wrong, im having stirfry today though.

mmm, all this talk of burgers and anus cream is making me hungry

Auron225:
You can't lead a cow downstairs - not that you would try it =P

Yes, but you can lead one upstairs.

I think that doesn't count so here my random fact: hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliofobie is the scientific term for fear of long words. (Which sadist thought opf that?)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked