What are some "bad" movies that you like?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

A lot of movies that, while they're not my favorites, I found entertaining have been called "bad" by critics and... a lot of internet people. Examples include:

Transformers 1 & 3 (2 suuucked!)
The Star Wars prequels (not crazy about Episode 1, but Liam Neeson.)
The Expendables
Green Lantern was ok
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
and more that I can't recall right now...

And don't go telling me that I suck at watching movies or that the ones listed above are all just flashy pieces of crap that were made for the sole purpose of getting me to waste my money, I've heard it all.

What I do want to know is, what "bad" movies do you think weren't as awful as people think?

I dont liek any movies you coudl really consider "bad" (even kingdom of the crystal skull I wouldnt go that far..)

however I was pleasantly surprised with demoliton man, alot of fun and I really liked it

The Blade movies have always had a special place in my heart. Yes, they're corny. Yes, they're cheesy, but I still have an undying love for Wesley Snipes killing vampires.

I don't remember the name but it was that one where Michael Cera played the awkward teenager...

I enjoyed Indiana Jones 4 and the first and third Transformers movies. Green Lantern was by no means good, but it wasn't THAT bad.

I'm sure there's more.

I love making fun of this movie:

I have much more fun making fun of it than actually watching it:

Makarov is the bad guy
The Locust Queen is the bad guys wife
Bill from Left 4 dead (personality wise) is on the good guys side
two governments of owls kill each other, not good guys and bad guys
Great animation, with many moments that are sure to make sure you know that they have badass animation
Fun bad guys, not the joker fun but the Orcs from Lord of the Rings/Nazi fun

What it doesn't have:
Decent good guys
A protagonist who isn't annoying
plot holes
odd moments....

Instant K4rma:
The Blade movies have always had a special place in my heart. Yes, they're corny. Yes, they're cheesy, but I still have an undying love for Wesley Snipes killing vampires.

The Blade movies were awesome, in that they are so cheesy and bad that they are awesome. I was really watching the movies just for Wesley Snipes being a badass.

OT: Do the Resident Evil movies count as bad? I love those movies, and I know exactly what I'm getting into and I'm totally fine with it. It's fun watching Milla Jovovich defying all sorts of gravity and murdering zombies as she goes.

Donnie Darko. For the most part, the movie does suck, but for some reason, I really enjoy it.

Batman & Robin and The Last Action Hero, I think people are honestly just silly for hating these movies, they were great. They succeeded in being exactly what they wanted to be, and not only that, they looked good while doing it.

I mean, people are always shooting on Arnold's one-liners from Batman, but they were meant to be bad, they were meant to be cheesy. Arnold essentially parodies himself and it's absolutely hilarious.

Tucker154:
Donnie Darko. For the most part, the movie does suck, but for some reason, I really enjoy it.

Doesn't count because though the critics didn't care for it, the internet community in general has a hard-on for this piece of trash cinema.

Regnes:
Doesn't count because though the critics didn't care for it, the internet community in general has a hard-on for this piece of trash cinema.

Uhh, Donnie Darko was pretty well received critically. 85% on rotten tomatoes, 88% on Metacritic.

Terminate421:

Makarov is the bad guy
Great animation, with many moments that are sure to make sure you know that they have badass animation

What it doesn't have:
Decent good guys
plot holes
odd moments....

That movie based on some really badass kids books. Got me into owls as a kid. Shame the movie wasn't super great, though.

OT: Streets of Fire. I've talked about this before.
It's a really stupid movie, but it's stylistically awesome.

smearyllama:

Terminate421:

Makarov is the bad guy

What it doesn't have:
Decent good guys
plot holes
odd moments....

That movie based on some really badass kids books. Got me into owls as a kid. Shame the movie wasn't super great, though.

OT: Streets of Fire. I've talked about this before.
It's a really stupid movie, but it's stylistically awesome.

I read the books as a kid, the movie was like if they hollowed away at every little detail in the book.

Besides, there are some scenes which are just unneeded and could have been used for those details.

Either way, the Pure ones are the only reason to watch this movie, its like if Dr. Evil became serious and not funny. (But yet still entertaining)

Besides, whenever they are on screen I would play the Locust Queen's voice from Gears of war (SHES ONE OF THE BAD GUYS, thats actually cool)

Obligatory Starship Troopers mention. Greatest satire of original source materiel ever. Has some damn cool action scenes too.

Eragon

SHUT UP!

Evil Dead. Its so awful, its awesome.

If I like it it can't be all bad. Is They Live! a bad movie? Is Big Trouble in Little China? Is Escape from New York? Assault on Precinct 13? (seeing a pattern here) Is The Warriors? I think the closest thing to a "bad" movie that I still like would be Plan Nine from Outer Space.

Definitely Starship Troopers. It's a great satire and it proves that Paul Verhoeven is a time-traveler!

Nouw:
Definitely Starship Troopers. It's a great satire and it proves that Paul Verhoeven is a time-traveler!

It's odd how what essentially is a B-movie can become so relevant. Nobody does satirical future better than Paul Verhoeven. The entire film is basically a propaganda movie from a future time. But then I don't consider it a bad film at all; Everything that people might consider bad about it is simply part of the joke.

Also, Rambo 4.

Definately a very bad movie, but it still felt like a fond farewell to the hardcore action flicks of the 80's.

The Village...I can see why it gets some hate, but the amount it does get isn't justified at all. Oh, and as others have mentioned, Starship Troopers, but I don't think that really counts as a bad movie.

The Room. Literally the worst movie of all times. And it's glorious! It's so bad that I can't help but love it.

I like James Camerons Avatar well enough. I hear people talk about how bad it is all the time and I kinda agree with their points.

And yet........It looked pretty and had a cool battle at the end, that's all I really want out of a movie. If I wanted a good story then I would read a book or watch an anime.

Transformers 1. 2 wasn't kill it fire awful, but needs to be taken to the cutting room floor.

Battlefield Earth. I unironically enjoy this film. It has 1 or 2 plot holes and the lead is a bit of a sue, otherwise I do not see any significant problems with it. The humans were able to beat the aliens because they had become complacent and decadent. This film has as much to do with Scientology as the Bush administration has to do with Christianity, as in if you look behind the scenes you'll see the name once or twice, but not many of the values.

A Kid in King Arthur's Court. Does what it sets out to do well enough and its not THAT bad. Its not a masterpiece, but its a good kids film

Pokemon the MOvie 3: Anyone who think this film is worse than the first 2 needs there head examined. OMG IT HAS AN ACTUAL PLOT, CHARACTERS AND IT ISN'T RESOLVED BY LAME DUEX EX MACHINA! THIS FILM SUCKS! Go to hell IMBD.

The Hulk film with bouncing tanks. This IS a shit movie. But its a funny shit movie.

Star Wars Episode 1 and 3. 1 was honestly pretty good if you didn't DEMAND it had to be as good as the original trilogy, which was kind of an unrealistic expectation. 3 had it weak spots and would have been better if Matt Stover had wrote the script, but was actually a good movie. If you think the Prequal trilogy are bad you BETTER be giving the Revan Novel 1 or 0 stars. THAT is how you do a garbage sequel.

The Village ^^ do agree
Transformers Trilogy
G.I. Joe (dunno what the general opinion on it is but I think its kick ass)
Indiana Jones meets Even Stevens
Green Lantern was alright I guess
most 'shaky cam' movies: Blair Witch, Cloverfield (the best), Quarantine..etc

Batman and Robin. The movie is just fucking hilarious I love it. Its pure superhero cheese, something modern superhero movies don't want to do because apparently spandex is the only thing that can be silly in a superhero movie. Plus Uma Thurman aint bad on the eyes.

Pretty much anything with Nicolas Cage. The guy's a terrible actor, but he somehow always manages to be amusing to me.

Although, that said, I do actually consider "The Rock" to be a pretty good action movie, regardless of Cage's involvement. Connery and Harris stole the show anyway.

Nouw:

Have you seen the sequels? They're pretty bad... the second one is just a cheesy knock-off of John Carpenter's "The Thing." The third one though is bad in the very best of ways.

It has a pop-singing Sky Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_6JWxoC9c

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Instant K4rma:

The Blade movies were awesome, in that they are so cheesy and bad that they are awesome. I was really watching the movies just for Wesley Snipes being a badass.

OT: Do the Resident Evil movies count as bad? I love those movies, and I know exactly what I'm getting into and I'm totally fine with it. It's fun watching Milla Jovovich defying all sorts of gravity and murdering zombies as she goes.

Agree on the Blade ones :P And the same reasons you gave applied to 'From Paris With Love' for me, so cheesy, yet for some reason I liked it :)

I'm kind of spacing when it comes to movies, but I'll say that I'm something of a fan of horror movies, both good ones and absolutly cheezy ones. The only ones I usually don't wind up liking are SLOW horror movies where not much happens.

I could point fingers to things like my enduring fandom of things like the "Nightmare On Elm Street" series or "Phantasm" but for all the criticisms leveled at them these are series that went on for multiple installments, and made tons of money and enduring film legacies. I don't know if you can call any of them objectively bad looking at the overall legacy.

I guess to throw out some random stuff the movies "Blood Gnome", "Death Of A Ghost Hunter", and "Behind The Mask, The Leslie Vernon Story" to all be quite entertaining when I watched them on Netflix, and I don't think any of them could be considered good by any objective standard, nor do they have an enduring prescence to lend doubts to their status as relative failures. Those I all watched on Netflix and should put some perspectives on the kinds of bad horror movies I've enjoyed.

In the long term I suppose "Prince Of Darkness" and "Ghosts Of Mars" both by John Carpenter being a couple of my favorite 'B' horror movies of all time count. The former, "Prince Of Darkness" is one I feel should get a LOT more recognition than it's received, and be considered more of a cult classic. I guess I'm wierd seeing as I liked that one a lot more than "The Thing". "Ghosts Of Mars" is pure cheese, combining sci-fi action, and the combined tropes of zombies and possessing ghosts into one picture, it features Natasha Henstrige, Ice T, and Jason Statham fairly early in his career. Sometimes I can't believe that someone actually made that movie, and what's more that I feel like I'm the only 'B' movie fan who has ever seen it. :)

Critics never seem to take well to any of the exploitation films made in the wake of Grindhouse... But boy oh boy did I have fun with Hobo with a Shotgun! Children being massacred on a bus with a flamethrower while 'Disco Inferno' plays in the background... Brilliant!

Does "The Three Musketeers" count as a bad movie? Critics hated it, a lot of fans of the original novel hated it, but I loved it.

Commando. Arnold had super powers in that film. It was the most awesomely bad action movie ever. A close runner up would be Action Jackson. Carl Weathers outruns a taxi cab and gets into a karate fight with Coach. It's glorious.
But..neither of those can match up to the best bad movie in my eyes: Flash Gordon. Sure, it was camp, but there was honest to god effort put into that film. It was beautiful, it had production values and it was TERRIBLE. But it was so gloriously goofy I love it to death.

Yes I like the first Transformers film but I hated the sequels.
Also yes I do like the film Daredevil. Seriously I think people were ok with it during the first new waves of superheroes films but now superheroes films are now mainstream (not a bad thing) people hate it with a passion.
I also don't get the hate toward the Butterfly Effect as I think it had a excellent moral to it.

Um...Nacho Libre...
Pretty much my favorite Jack Black movie.
So yeah I'm not ashamed of that internet....
Uh, I'll just go now.

Event Horizon, Pitch Black, Pandorum, The Johnny English films. They are incredibly bad, but I am a sucker for dark space horror, and the Johnny English films.... I don't know, I had a good laugh at some moments.

Id have to go with the room. Hilarious film, which im sure someone else has (or will) mention. Also anything by Uwe Boll, terrible films but still funny.... postal in particular

I couldn't even begin to list them all. However when I say "bad" movie, I am generally referring to bad movies that are fun to watch like a lot of the ones from the 80s, 70s, etc. A bad movie nowadays is generally just a snorefest, a huge bloated budget and still terrible.
A few bad movies I love are Street Fighter: The Movie, Mortal Kombat, Masters of the Universe, Flash Gordon.

I rather like the Resident Evil movies. Not much going on in the plot department but still a fun if brainless action movie.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked