If you had to, what position in the Armed Forces would you take?
Army Grunt
6.4% (17)
6.4% (17)
Navy Hand
4.9% (13)
4.9% (13)
Air Force Man
19.5% (52)
19.5% (52)
Sniper
21.7% (58)
21.7% (58)
Engineer
15.4% (41)
15.4% (41)
Medic
13.1% (35)
13.1% (35)
Marine
3.7% (10)
3.7% (10)
Cook
14.2% (38)
14.2% (38)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: If you had to, what position in the Armed Forces would you take?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sniper.
I have the patience and inner calm to shoot accurately over long distances provided my scope is strong enough. Snipers are usually scouts too, which would be a lot of fun. That is, in the "war really fucking sucks" area of fun-ness.

I don't want to be anywhere near a battle, so that nixes most of the options.
I don't like planes (except in video games) so... yeah, no.
Motor oil is gross, so not mechanic.
Blood is gross (and full of diseases!), so not a medic.

So... cook, I guess?

How about one of those USO show girls? I took a few years of ballet and jazz dance - I'm sure I could manage. Plus, I'm like a professional at giving men blue-balls. ^^ So yeah, perfect fit.

So there's mine: USO Show Girl.

medic. im planning to go into medical anyway, and all my hours of dead space and gears of war will help me cope with the blood and guts

No Coast Guard? They're continuously ignored, and as someone who deals with boats as a job, they do a lot of really good work.

Navy, definitely Navy.

Although I'm not a fan of our military.

Aur0ra145:
Where is the Army Warrant Officer option? Heck, it's what I'm in the middle of applying for. Helicopters are just so cool.

You have to be an E-7 to apply for the Warrant Officer program, it would be easier to just go officer.

I'll choose a Navy Beachmaster (which I already am). It's a decent place to be during a war, we have Marine protection and are pretty unlikely to end up in combat.

David Savage:
No Coast Guard? They're continuously ignored, and as someone who deals with boats as a job, they do a lot of really good work.

Well... Coast Guard is under the Department of Transportation, not Department of Defense.

I would refuse and most likely be thrown in prison. There should be a "prison" option. No way I'm participating in some shitty war waged by some asshole in power.

Sniper; you're far, far, far away from the enemy! (Less chance to get shot)

I was a Mandarin Chinese linguist in intelligence because the army barred me from combat roles for being a woman. Hooray for all those cool support roles! I sure do like helping!

LOL at people who think they'd be good snipers. Being accurate with a rifle is really only a very small part of the job. I would suggest one of the following books for a good explanation of a sniper's role. Both were written by NCOs in sniper units, in the USMC and British Army respectively:

http://www.amazon.com/Jarhead-Marines-Chronicle-Other-Battles/dp/B001PO6BBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330568078&sr=1-1

(No, NOT the film) or

http://www.amazon.com/Sniper-One-Blistering-British-Battle/dp/0141029013/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330568161&sr=1-1

ROFLMAO at people who think Cooks don't get shot at.

Seriously? Whilst you might not be on day-to-day patrol and your chance of getting killed in a contact are pretty low, things like artillery tend to be pretty indiscriminate.

Benny Blanco:

Seriously? Whilst you might not be on day-to-day patrol and your chance of getting killed in a contact are pretty low, things like artillery tend to be pretty indiscriminate.

O_o

I thought artillery was obsolete.

Actually I'm more of a tactics man, giving orders to all the fatheads in the field while I'm in an air conditioned room far from the fighting. But if not I'd probibly go for fighter piolit, I've got the need for speed!

Air Force, if I can fly a jet fighter or attack helo. Otherwise, sign me up for driving armor.

My dad did a tour as part of the Navy and he swears by it. The only action he told me he ever got into was shooting the occasional questionable debris (y'know, stuff that looks like mines), blowing up a captured and abandoned enemy vessel, and joking around with a bunch of natives.

General.

The best of everything...and all the hard decisions get made by the politicians (though I would get blamed if they go bad)

If I had to?

Air Force,I wanna blow stuff up while traveling at incredibly high speeds. XD

Air force. Personally, I'd prefer to stay a few miles above the bullets (or a few hundred miles away in a drone control center) while still getting to blow stuff up.

Plus, flying is awesome.

Although I'd need laser surgery to fix my eyes first :(

The foetal position.

Otherwise I dunno. Realistically I'd probably stick to something non-combat.
Fantastically, it'd be interesting if intelligence/espionage type stuff was a possibility. Sneaking in screwing with their shit, stealing their intelligence and sneaking out.

Put me in the tank, I'll load the gun or work the radio. The grunts are the most vulnerable <.<

Either that or a submarine hand.

I guess a medic or cook out of those options.

I'm a hippy though, so thats why I choose that. What I really find interesting is being a Strategist, but I don't think i'd have as much fun knowing im playing with real people.

Ok... the bottom 5 are also the top 3 choices...! :S

Not a very big selection either...:P

I am already in... and my job isn't there (Training). So that's what I do! I am Air Force... so I went for that!

AnythingOutstanding:

Benny Blanco:

O_o

Definately not... they keep getting upgraded kit! GPS artillery shells rule!

Jark212:

David Savage:

Well... Coast Guard is under the Department of Transportation, not Department of Defense.

Also there are other countries posting here, and most don't have an equivalent... but most have the 3 primary services! (Or at least an Army and Air Force!)

Can I pick Forensic Anthropologist working at the Military's Central Identification Lab?

Hell I don't actually have to enlist for that so that is what I am picking.

I like cooking, so I guess I can go with that. It beats getting shot at, that's for sure! I would choose engineer, but while I could potentially possess the knowledge for the role, my skills are extremely lacking.

If I were forced to be a soldier, I'd be a Sniper because it keeps me away from the front lines. Despite having equipment for actual sniping, I'm also a great shot at mid-range with a handgun, though I lack the arm strength to aim one for an extended period; I can point a gun and hit a target quickly, but holding it in front of me would tire me out.

In any case, I'd probably be deemed physically unfit to serve as a soldier anyway because I am extraordinarily weak and I literally can't exercise (I think I have exercise-induced asthma or some breathing disorder and while it may be controlled be medication, an attack at the wrong time will spell death).

I'm a physicist, so in a WW2 type scenario I imagine I would have been at Los Alamos as a civilian scientist. Were I to actually enlist I'd aim to be an engineer, but in most cases I think I could do more good in a research position.

Well since I'm voluntarily going in already, I'll go with my plan A and say flyboy.

Cook. Hopefully a high ranking cook, like the cook general.

"How do you like your ramen, soldier? Raw, or raw with my boot up your ass?!"

Jark212:

David Savage:

Actually that has changed, it operates under Homeland Security in peacetime and reports to the Navy in war.

If I was somehow forced to join the armed forces, say by a draft, I would choose to be a deserter. I have no support for what the military(or government in general) of my country(US) is doing right now(military as a whole, I still support servicemen) and I will not risk my life in support of that.

sniper is winning on a gaming website (at the time of this post) whodathunkit?

The poll options are kind of bizarre no Military Police? Cuz I'm already a normal police so I can do that pretty well I imagine.

Well, in the long long ago I tried to enter the American Marine Corps. They wouldn't take me because I am dyslexic and have lupus.
This was of course BEFORE 9/11 and entering two insanely long wars. So I'm sure the tune has since changed.

ultrachicken:
Cooks don't get shot, so I'd probably pick cook. If I were in any other position, I would be dead in no time flat.

If I had the ability, I would be a sniper, because sniping is cool, and I would be extremely far away from anyone I shot, which would make it easier on the psyche.

well cooks dont get shot by the enemy at least. their own side however....

in real life.. i refuse to take up arms full stop even if it results in imprisonment or worse, as a theoretical discussion medic, mental health professional, etc or something like that

sigh my last post for a couple of weeks, need to avoid the escapist because i can just tell someone is going to make a thread with a ME3 spoiler title or mention it in something unrelated. ME3 blackout time !

Ideally, if I absolutely had to join the military, it would be as a pilot. Not really sure what and honestly don't care too much, just something I'd like to do.

BENZOOKA:
The poll list is quite silly, to put it mildly...

I'm an artillery observer in reserve so I think I'll stick with that.

Every country has different names for the different armed divisions, furthermore the escapist only lets you pick 9 options. It serves the task just fine.

Elementary - Dear Watson:
Ok... the bottom 5 are also the top 3 choices...! :S

Not a very big selection either...:P

I am already in... and my job isn't there (Training). So that's what I do! I am Air Force... so I went for that!

As above, I could start a doodle poll, include every single available military position and then invite all the escapists t register, an then vote... but meh.

AnythingOutstanding:

Benny Blanco:

O_o

Mortars and other indirect fire aren't. They're commonly used in asymmetrical warfare, for instance in Iraq.

Sniper. I have an irrational fear of bullets coming in my direction. I am, however, pretty accurate if I try.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked