Two weeks notice confused

So I'm thinking about getting a job next week so I can have some spending money for my trip to Cali and the job itself is a dime a dozen kind of jobs (if you have your own car, you're a shoe in) now as I will only be working there till the 28th of March will I have to give two weeks notice that I'm quitting? (Also the kind of job, well the way I see it if I tell my boss I'm quitting in two weeks they'll just fire me on the spot) So what do you people think?

It depends on the job and the state laws, but that sounds more like a temp position than a steady job. The reason for the two weeks notice thing is to give your boss time to find a replacement. Since you're only going to work for a month, the right thing to do would be to let your boss know up front. The legal minimum could be anywhere from two weeks to none at all (if you live in a "right to work" state), although two weeks is considered courteous everywhere, and a good idea if you think you'll ever need your boss as a reference.

Owyn_Merrilin:
It depends on the job and the state laws, but that sounds more like a temp position than a steady job. The reason for the two weeks notice thing is to give your boss time to find a replacement. Since you're only going to work for a month, the right thing to do would be to let your boss know up front. The legal minimum could be anywhere from two weeks to none at all (if you live in a "right to work" state), although two weeks is considered courteous everywhere, and a good idea if you think you'll ever need your boss as a reference.

Well the job itself is well it's an okay job but I'd be running my car into the ground and well I can tell you I've worked this kind of job before the the typical people who run the place would fire you after you get back from a vacation or before (even if you could get someone to cover your shifts) I'm just wondering how I should go about it.

Delivery boy? Meh. Don't bother.

You only plan to work for 4 weeks? Tell them up front, don't be an ass.

evilneko:

Why not? It's the easiest job to get right now and I've done it before, sure I'd be running my car into the ground but at least I'd be able to pay for it.

Owyn_Merrilin:

In what states in the union is it legal to force someone to continue working after they no longer want to, or where you can face legal actions should you quit with out notice. Cause I an going to do my best to avoid those state as they clearly don't respect individuals rights.

Quiet Stranger:

evilneko:

Why not? It's the easiest job to get right now and I've done it before, sure I'd be running my car into the ground but at least I'd be able to pay for it.

Not the job, I meant the notice.

evilneko:

Quiet Stranger:

evilneko:

So you're saying I shouldn't give them two weeks notice?

Quiet Stranger:

evilneko:

Quiet Stranger:

Nah, do like I did and tell your boss "Eat me" when you quit.

To be fair, he was a total dickhead. But he got his...he died in his office in the downstairs of the restaurant and no one found him until he was cold.

Quiet Stranger:

evilneko:

Quiet Stranger:

Precisely.

As Owyn mentioned, the right thing to do would be tell them up front you only intend to be there a month. OTOH knowing that, they may decide not to hire you.

'course you could always change your mind after the fact. If your boss and coworkers turn out to be damn cool people and you think they won't fire you on the spot, by all means, go ahead and give notice.

I've done that twice, OP. Both times were similar, and were at the same place (lol), a large chain national grocery store.

I worked there the first time knowing that I would only be there for 3 weeks. I didn't tell them because I was pretty sure they wouldn't hire somebody for 3 weeks. The reason I was quitting so early was because I was moving cities but needed a couple hundred bucks to finance the move and keep me on my feet while I found another job in the other city. By the time I quit, I had about $600. I told them that it was an emergency and that I had to go, and that I was sorry.

The second time was 2 years later, and nobody from there remembered me, even though I remembered them. They couldn't find any of my employment records when I told them I had worked there previously, so that was good for me I suppose. I was planning on working there for a few months until I found a better job suited for a university student. I ended up working there for 2 and a half months. I gave them my 2 weeks notice when school started and I had found a suitable replacement job. However, they started treating me like total shit right after I gave that in (probably because they can never find anyone to work there because it's a total shit job for minimum wage which is physically hazardous and completely unfulfilling). So I just didn't come in for my last week of shifts. They called me a few times but I didn't pick up.

It all depends on whether you want a good reference from your boss. My boss was the biggest bitch I have ever encountered in the professional world, and I sincerely hope she dies a painful and slow death. Very condescending and uncaring. My direct supervisor was on his annual vacation pretty much the entire time both times I worked there, so I barely worked with him either. I really don't feel bad about any of it. I would use them again for the same thing if I have to, but I hope I don't. In fact I might just prefer going on UI and/or doing odd jobs from craigslist as opposed to going there again, if I do become unemployed in the near future.

RoBi3.0:

Owyn_Merrilin:

In what states in the union is it legal to force someone to continue working after they no longer want to, or where you can face legal actions should you quit with out notice. Cause I an going to do my best to avoid those state as they clearly don't respect individuals rights.

Very few, but let's put it this way: you also can't be fired without cause in those states. In a right to work state, you can literally be fired, say, for being gay, and as long as the boss doesn't state that that's the reason, they're golden. "Right to work" is a misnomer.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked