Things you find woefully unfunny, but other people like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Glee, anything with Ricky Gervais or Baron Sasha Cohen,most American sitcoms, anything involving people hurting themselves or using/eating disgusting things so basically anything with Tom Green in and most of the Movie! movies or the films which are just non stop pop culture references e.g. Meet the Spartans.

mrhappy1489:

Phasmal:
Anything by that bloke who did the Mighty Boosh (whose name has escaped me today).
He is just not funny at all and everything he does is just painful.

As for what does make me laugh, I love stand-up. Russell Howard, Dara O'Brian, Adam Hills, Micheal Macintyre, Russel Kane, love them all.

Adam Hills, are you Australian or just well versed?

Just a big stand up fan, I live in the UK. I saw him on Live at the Apollo and Mock the Week and thought he was really funny so I looked up his other stuff. Sadly, I've never been to a stand up show yet, but I will in future (my sister has already seen Jimmy Carr and Russell Howard and Micheal Macintyre, lucky cowbag).

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
How I Met Your Mother. I dont know how anyone laughs about anything in that show. Its watchable, but its just not funny.

On rare occasions they slip a joke in there. Usually a generic NPH wants to get laid type thing, but definitely an attempt at humour. An example of a HIMYM joke is NPH on the phone agressively telling a bookie to pay up or he'll tell the feds what they're up to, and ending the phone call with "ok mum I love you too, bye"[1].

Big Bang Theory, however, does not even seem to attempt humour. They randomly play the laugh track whenever there's a reference to anything else. I once saw an episode start with some dudes sitting on a couch watching tv. The Indiana Jones them played and the laughtrack then went nuts. People watching TV is not funny, this does not work as a one liner gag and given the painful lack of pretext, does not qualify as a joke. I honestly don't understand why people think it's funny, I mean I get that there's a general lack of "nerd" humor on tv, but just because there's not much attempting it doesn't automatically make it funny.

The other thing that people seem to love is family guy, which I generally dislike. Admittedly it does have it's moments though.

[1] Note that this is quite clearly a joke, regardless of whether you actually find this sort of thing funny or should be clear at least that some people would laugh at this.

Dys:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
How I Met Your Mother. I dont know how anyone laughs about anything in that show. Its watchable, but its just not funny.

On rare occasions they slip a joke in there. Usually a generic NPH wants to get laid type thing, but definitely an attempt at humour. An example of a HIMYM joke is NPH on the phone agressively telling a bookie to pay up or he'll tell the feds what they're up to, and ending the phone call with "ok mum I love you too, bye"[1].

Big Bang Theory, however, does not even seem to attempt humour. They randomly play the laugh track whenever there's a reference to anything else. I once saw an episode start with some dudes sitting on a couch watching tv. The Indiana Jones them played and the laughtrack then went nuts. People watching TV is not funny, this does not work as a one liner gag and given the painful lack of pretext, does not qualify as a joke. I honestly don't understand why people think it's funny, I mean I get that there's a general lack of "nerd" humor on tv, but just because there's not much attempting it doesn't automatically make it funny.

The other thing that people seem to love is family guy, which I generally dislike. Admittedly it does have it's moments though.

Funnily enough The Big Bang Theory has become a guilty pleasure of mine.

Granted, I dont take time out of my day to watch it, but when I get up in the mornings I always watch a little TV and its on around that time. And slowly but surely, the show has grown on me. Its terrible, but I still like watching it.

Cant compare to the absolute GOD of TV shows though. Malcolm In The Middle. Best sitcom ever.

[1] Note that this is quite clearly a joke, regardless of whether you actually find this sort of thing funny or should be clear at least that some people would laugh at this.

Let's see... It is quite a list... Anything with any high-profile hollywood comedian, they suck from Adam Sandler to Seth Rogan. They are all awful actors, comedians and people! Why are they awful people? Because they plague us with bad comedy.

But as TV-shows go... I basicly dislike everything except The Big Bang Theory. Simpsons died out long ago, so did south park, family guy, american dad, how I met your mother, etc...

However I do love MEMEs, they are the highpoint of the internet. I could browse a MEME database for hours without getting bored. :D

wicket42:

-the Scary Movie films

While I liked the first two films in the franchise, I hated the other Movie-movies. Epic being the absolute worst movie I've ever had to sit through. Other than those...Why does Daniel Tosh still have a TV show?! People complain about Dane Cook (over-rated) and Jeff Dunham (likewise) but Tosh is the biggest douche-bag I've ever freaking seen and, it blows my mind that he's been able to keep his show for so long when it's basically just youtube as seen through Tosh's eyes.

Also Mad TV and, on Cartoon Network. I like the Spy vs Spy but that's about it. The live show never really appealed to me and the CN show isn't really meant for me I guess.

wicket42:
I recently tried to find a good new TV show to watch. I decided to try 'How I Met Your Mother' after seeing all the praise N.P.H. gets for playing Barney.

That's when I decided to start this thread (and also to give up looking for something new and re-watch every episode of Louie). Is there anything out there that other people find hilarious, but totally fails to tickle your funny bone?

I'm not really looking to objectively argue that something is or is not funny, all these opinions are to be considered just that, opinions.

Anyway, my list would include:
-How I Met Your Mother
-The Big Bang Theory
-Spaceballs (even though I love Star Wars)
-the Scary Movie films

So what's out there that fails to make you laugh?

Conversely, seen anything out there recently that really succeeded in entertaining you?

I find all of the ones on your list spectacularly unfunny except Spaceballs, which I can pretty much recite word for word.

I also don't like The Cleaveland Show, even though it was highly recommended by friends.

I really love Spaced, though a lot of other people I know found it really boring.

Anything by Tim and Eric, Soooo many people think these guys are funny but I just don't see it.

Ray William Johnson, The Big Bang Theory and videos of people hurting themselves (so called "fail videos").

Fucking chat roulette! My friends only go on that stupid site to get a bunch of girls to flash them and when I go on just because I want to, you know, have conversations because THATS what the site is for they all complain and say I'm not doing it right.

Let's see...what do I find woefully unfunny.

The Hangover - never seen it, previews made it something I don't want to see.
The Hangover 2 - see above.
Borat - Or anything with Sascha Baron Cohen
Punk'd
Jackass
The new movie Project X - doesn't look funny, just looks like a movie glorifying the lack of parenting prevalent in today's society.
Dane Cook
Toilet humor a.k.a. frat boy humor
Internet memes - funny a couple of times, not so much the 50th plus
The Jimquisition
The Nostalgia critic
And I'll stop there because I'm sure I've offended someone with not liking something they absolutely love and adore.

Big Bang Theory springs to mind, the same old unfunny awkward nerd jokes being used over and over again. I know that's the premise of the show but when all of the characters are using the same jokes they all become very bland. Oh and Stepbrothers, Will Ferrell is not funny.

Family Guy, Two and a Half Men (...for the most part, anyway), Tim and Eric, The Hangover, and those __________ Movie, um, movies.

ectoplasmicz:

Angry Juju:
Black adder.. in fact, anything with Rowin Atkinson that isn't The Lion King

Ooooooh that could make a few people a bit annoyed. I for one find it extremely funny XD but I can understand how someone wouldn't find it funny.

For me its definitely 'How I Met Your Mother' and 'Big Bang Theory'.

Both unfunny, both boring, both repetitive, both annoying.

Eh.

Eh... i just don't like black adder... something like monty python is fine, but black adder i just find boring.

How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory are both shows I can see why you wouldn't like them, i find them somewhat enjoyable personally but i'd much rather just watch all of the friends episodes for about the 8th or 9th time.

Jimquisition
Everything that is on Television (Almost everything, anyway)
The Top 100 Charts

Those three things.

Arrested Development. I never saw the hilarity, but, years later, people still wank on about it.

Jeff Dunham...not funny, and that's not in retrospect I didn't like him the first time I saw Achmed the dead terrorist either

fart jokes/toilet humour

pretty much anything by Ricky Gervais

fourth-wall jokes: "ooh look at me I'm aware that I'm part of a fictional piece of media entertainment, laugh monkeys!"....it gets old

Alordo:
Let's see...what do I find woefully unfunny.

The Hangover - never seen it, previews made it something I don't want to see.
The Hangover 2 - see above.
Borat - Or anything with Sascha Baron Cohen
Punk'd
Jackass
The new movie Project X - doesn't look funny, just looks like a movie glorifying the lack of parenting prevalent in today's society.
Dane Cook
Toilet humor a.k.a. frat boy humor
Internet memes - funny a couple of times, not so much the 50th plus
The Jimquisition
The Nostalgia critic
And I'll stop there because I'm sure I've offended someone with not liking something they absolutely love and adore.

Pretty muhc your list (Minus Memes, I Think im an addict)

But i fail to find anything made by channel 4. Stuff like Gypsie wedding, Inbetweeners and anything else with really crude humour in it.

Oh, And Tim Mincwhathisface.

Almost all of the Parody films
"Super Hero Movie"
"Vampires Suck"
"Scary Movie"
"Not Another Teen Movie"
and any movie that falls into those styles, all of those sucked so hard.

Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia
I'm not a huge George Carlin fan, he just cusses a lot and talks bad about government and religion in a setting where people assume he's joking so they laugh. If you ran into someone in a one on one conversation who did what he did you'd be like "screw you buddy" and walk off.

DeltaEdge:
Most anime comedy. The jokes just feel really recycled and plain to me (there are plenty still that have me on the floor laughing but..), yet my anime loving friends always go on about specific parts that they find to be epic or flippin' hilarious that I see and think, "seen it" for the hundredth time which I do not always point out in a flippant manner, but instead respond to them with, meh, it's alright I guess. Seeing a little girl send giant beams of heavenly light crashing down the earth can only be epic for so many times, until you begin to notice a cycle of this where you can already anticipate their cliche and realize that little girls are the strongest breed of human in anime, and at the bottom of the food chain is the muscly looking guys who actually work out and that people will laugh at the exact same premise of a little girl annihilating an army a lot without getting bored of it over and over again.

I'm with you on this one, and this is why I find most modern anime to be bland and boring.. It sucks because I really enjoy anime. Stock tsundere with a weak character (and weaker framework) who inevitably has a single catch phrase that she says repeatedly to the male protagonist, usually ending in some sort of pain (slap to the face, explosion, etc)
See:
Toradora, Sakugan no Shanna, Rozen Maiden etc

I don't find many things "lol" funny but I do find things entertaining funny.

Things that don't fit that but are meant to are the office, the mighty boosh, anything with Ricky Gervais (I think he is a smug prick), Frankie Boyle (I like Jimmy Carr though) ... that's enough, I think.

Speaking of annoying things on TV, DR Who is the number 1 pick! fuck that show! Will he save the world/universe/day this time? Of course he fucking is!

Most Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park in the last few years.
And almost all American Dad is un-funny.

I don't watch that much TV to be fair.

I don't understand. EVERYONE told me what an incredible and funny film this was, and my friends made me watch it.

I spent the entire damn movie trying to figure out how to set people on fire through a TV screen, then pull their charred corpses out so I could beat my friends to death with them. Sadly, this state of mind only occurs when I'm very thoroughly unamused.

I really can't think of anything. I can see humour in everything. I'm a cheerful person like that!

Most modern American comedy (tends to come across as cheesy or just stupid to me), "get back in the kitchen (not because they are sexist, they are just... dull) and Ray William Fucking Johnson (do I need an explanation?)

GigaHz:
Just about any internet meme that has ever existed, ever.

Agreed.

Also, Seinfeld. And South Park, and to a lesser extent Family Guy.

Tim and Eric Good Job, it's just to freaking weird.

I always hated "Friends." I don't know how that was ever funny. It's just an attractive white washed cast being 20's - 30's smart asses and finding themselves more clever than they are. The only good thing that came out of it was Jenifer Aniston (wolf whistles).

For the most part internet memes. Especially the pencil drawn faces you see everywhere. Like the forever alone face. I think sometimes they can be funny, but are a little over used.

The In the Knee jokes are also getting a little old, but I found them quite funny early on as I got to witness the meme come to life AND I also called it, I turned to my sis and said "Oh you just knoooow this is going to be an interenet meme"

PeepShow.
Anything with Sacha Baron Cohen
Bridesmaids
The Mighty Boosh

Generally anything like that. I just think they are crude, unoriginal or both.

wicket42:

-How I Met Your Mother

This one, I just don't like it.. it's too.. unrealistic? I don't know why honestly..

Also, nice avatar and nice taste in music.

JasonKaotic:
The Inbetweeners. It's just really typical chavvy humour. It's crammed with 'I banged your mum' and 'Your dick is small lol' jokes, and it's just really not funny at all to me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm glad there are other people out there that see this show for what it is, its a bunch of grown men pretending to be teenagers swearing at each other. Thats it, that is the whole thing, how its won so many awards is beyond me.

*deep breath, prepares self for completely biased subjections*
Motherf*cking Friends.
Anything with Charlie Sheen in it. Any merits he might have as a writer or comedian are overshadowed by how much of a cock he is.
I think the only other thing would be new Family Guy. After they got cancelled, they just ended up with unconnected joke after unconnected joke, and it just ended up being a generic structure of episode (Peter gets something, Peter messes around with it for a bit, goes too far, messes stuff up, 'learns' something at the end of it all) with some random pop culture references and randomly pushed together jokes.
Other than that, most things entertain me pretty easily.

The Office.
My Little Pony
...A lot of things actually. It'd be best if I didn't type them all out. But those seem to be big ones on the internet.

Oh oh oh, thought of another! Glee. Didn't see it mentioned yet and I absolutely hate the shit out of that show. I cannot find a single redeeming thing about it, or honestly figure out why people would like it. Even stuff like Jackass, while I don't like it, I can at least see why someone might find it funny. I cannot say the same for Glee. I just don't understand.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked