Ok, here's the situation...

I have so may things to say I don't even know where to start. Although I have been a member for a while now I still managed to remain completely unknown and underground to most people. Some of you know me, some of you don't. Those who know me know I'm actually a very cool person to be around, but that's not why I'm here. Already I got derailed.

So yeah, I'm leaving The Escapist. Maybe for a while, maybe forever. Who knows? What's certain is that I won't be around for a while. But, before you start throwing full wine bottles at your computer screen, here's the reason: Pregnancy. I'm going to be a mother!!!! Yay for me! So now maternal duties and responsibilities are calling. In an attempt to 'mature' and 'become an adult' I've decided to 'give up' gaming, the internet and the rest of my childish lifestyle and just try to focus in my future. It is a matter of setting priorities. We all know that growing up sucks, but it has to happen some time. We all have to let go of some things, in order for new and better things to come (Change is the law of life....). I knew since the beginning it was going to be a big sacrifice, but it will be worth it. I know it in my heart it will be worth it.

So, this is goodbye Escapists, for now. I'm sad that I've never got to meet half the people in here, I was just starting to meet some new extraordinary people, but I'm at the same time happy to have met such wonderful and beautiful people that I have the pleasure to call friends. I've had lots of fun here and will miss you all dearly, with your cookies, and your basements and your arrow-in-the-knee jokes and whatnot. I hope we meet again some time in the future. Good luck and thanks for everything.

So this is me signing off, one last time. God, I suck at goodbyes, but this sums it up, in so many ways:

Aaaaand, I almost forgot, discussion value! We can discuss baby names. So I was thinking maybe Andrew if it's a boy or Abigail if it's a girl. What do you think? Any more ideas?

Still a way off before my girlfriend and I can consider children, but congratulations to you, I wish you and your faimly the best. Andrew sounds fine, Abigail seems quite quirky. I'd go with a less quirky name seeing how children will look at any excuse for attacking each other.

Also it seems a bit strange that you'd be required to give up the Escapist purely due to pregnancy. What's the reasoning behind that?

Istvan:
Still a way off before my girlfriend and I can consider children, but congratulations to you, I wish you and your faimly the best. Andrew sounds fine, Abigail seems quite quirky. I'd go with a less quirky name seeing how children will look at any excuse for attacking each other.

Also it seems a bit strange that you'd be required to give up the Escapist purely due to pregnancy. What's the reasoning behind that?

Well, I must admit, me leaving is not entirely because of my pregnancy, but it's still a huge part of it. I rarely post on the forums anymore, that's also part of it. Why stay when I don't do much around here anyway. And in part is about growing up and coming of age and all that. This period of my life is over. I'm an adult now, so I have to set straight my responsibilities, like I said. I'm not expecting people to understand that logic, but it works for me.

It's a bit silly to say the internet and games are childish, no doubt you still watch TV.

Wait, you already sound like a mother, you're doing well...

We grow old, but we don't have to grow up. I've found myself playing video games less, but if playing them means I'm childish, then so be it.

Baby names, right. I vote Riddick if it's a boy, not sure about girl names. But if you do stick with Andrew, you should totally make his middle name Ryan.

Matthew94:
It's a bit silly to say the internet and games are childish, no doubt you still watch TV.

Shit! I'm already starting to sound like a grown up!!

Looks like the transformation is complete.

Gosh. I.. well.. hmm. I'll just say..

Congratulations.

I love the name Cora for a girl and I'm pretty partial to Alexander for a boy.

Matthew94:

I agree, there's no inherit "childishness" in either of the media. I mean, I can kinda get the notion of wanting to "give up" gaming, what with many people still regarding the medium as "kids-exclusive" and whatnot but using the internet as a whole? What sense does that make? Not trying to judge here, I just don't think the reasoning is quite sensible in this case.

But even disregarding this train of thought, what's wrong with playing (even "childish") games as an adult? Playing is something you can (and should, in my opinion) enjoy at any stage of life. Hell, if I still had my massive Lego collection from the time when I was a kid I'd probably still build stuff every now and then.
Besides, what's going to happen when your child wants to play games with you? Are you going to reply 'No, I'm a serious adult, I don't play childish games anymore!'

This kinda reminds me of one of my favourite quotes:

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Not judging at all, but if you actually keep up with tech, your kids won't think you're (as lame) in the future!

My mom gamed with me (all that stuff was a bit after her time, but we had all the latest/greatest consoles) and let me tell ya, nothing beats playing Crash Bandicoot, gettin' your butt handed to you and being able to go to your mom for help.

Don't be the lame parent of the future playing farmville and forwarding kitten pictures to your kids on their iHologram

(Funny how as children we spent all our time wanting to be grown up and now that we're here, it's pretty damn lame)

no oneder:
snip

well I thourght this was going to be a "rage-quit" thankfully its not

congrats on having a kid....(funny considering that other thread going on right now)

but here's thing thing i take issue with

gaming/internet= chilidish= must grow up =must be mature

WRRRROOOOOOOOONNNNGG (the way I see it anyway)

of coarse priorites, you probably wont be gaming at all because, you have spawn to tend to

HOWEVER that doesnt mean you have to "give it up" I actaully think "not doing it" doesnt mean "giving up"

I cant understand "not doign it because you wotn have the time and you have priorities"

but "not doing it because I must finally bow to societys veiw of what is "mature and adult" <- has beening on here tought you nothing? I am dissapoint

I am NEVER going to be the mother type who scoffs at "childish things" even If I were to have children and not game I'll never wash my hands of the things I like....the action figures will remain in a display case and mabye Ill give my child one if he's good (and he wont choke on the parts)

Well congrats on the pregnancy :o)

Growing up does not mean you have to pack in the things you loved as a kid though. Gaming and the net and forums can still be part of your life. The key is balancing them with your new reproducibility's and commitments. That's the secret of growing up.

I sure noticed you a bunch, your avatar always caused my eyes to cry out in pain from the colors. Well, see you.

But I frown on you for thinking that, just because you may have been gaming or Internet-ing for a while, means that it's childish and you have to quit it cold turkey because FUCK I'M GOING TO BE MOM, MUST BE SRS.

That sounds like no fun at all, and stopping what you like doing doesn't sound mature.

For discussions: If I had a girl, I like the sound of a name that sounds slightly exotic while still being familiar. Right now, Marceline (yes, Adventure Time) is pick number one. For boy, I'd honestly choose Guy. I just like the sound of Guy.

I've never seen you around but you seem pretty cool. Congrats on the good news! I've been trying to have a baby with my wife for a bit now so I can (almost) share your excitement.

Names... I always sucked at those... Uhm I would go Penelope for a girl and Lucas for a boy.

Oh and silly new mother, abandoning the internet is for crazy people!

Congratulations on your soon to be spawn!

Oh and names. Luke or Leia. That's my vote.

Congrats to ya!

As boys' names go, I vote for Glenn (due to Chrono Trigger being awesome) or Darius, (real life son of Cyrus, who is also of Chrono Trigger fame.)

As for girls names...Well, obviously love Chrono Trigger, so Lucca and Nadia.

To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

-C.S. Lewis

Giving up what you view to be "childish" is, in and of itself, a childish act if you do it to be "grown up". Grow old, mature, but try your hardest not to grow up. It's the "childish" things that keeps our imaginations strong, and considering you will soon be blessed with a little demon spawn, who will slowly suck the life out of you as it's primary form of sustenance(kidding of course...it's not slow), you could use all of the imagination you can find. Good luck with that, and congratulations!

Also, babies like Metallica, which I find a bit weird.

congratulations, also, I vote Samantha, always liked that name.

best of luck!

Guys, stop hating on her giving up games to focus on her family. I admire her restraint, no need to batter her for it.

Andrew and Abigail are great names, and are names I might choose if I were soon to be a parent. The only other names which seem attractive to me are Johan (boy), Grace (girl).

Enjoy being a parent, I'm sure it'll be an interesting and great experience!

You will be back to gaming, you gotta do something when your kid is up all night crying for who knows why.

Awe this was sweet and a bit sad. I see the maturity in your decision, but I don't think it's a choice everyone in life would have to make. I also don't think gaming and the internet is something that you need to give up for a family, unless maybe your priorities aren't straight.

There are things I have willingly giving up for my greater well being and maturity, so I deffinatly see where you are coming from. I will never be the type of person to have a family though, so I respect the responsiblity you are taking on, and I wish you the best of luck and happiness.

Don't know if this was really worth a thread but whatever.
I already am a adult. I already have "grown up" and the most important part of "growing up" is to do whatever makes you happy and not give a damn about what society considers acceptable for a set age bracket.
You still seem obsessed with what society thinks of your hobbies so you are actually getting less mature.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of appearing childish.

Congrats on the baby! We've all got to grow up sooner or later. I'm pegging myself for later, like when I have absolutely no choice. I'll grow up in the carehome.

For a boy I like Issac or Noah and for a girl I've always liked Erika.

I really do like Alexander. It sounds so classy. For a girl I'd say Aphra, Ada or Ava.
Congratulations!!!

no oneder:

Matthew94:

Shit! I'm already starting to sound like a grown up!!

Looks like the transformation is complete.

Not if you think ascending to adulthood is a 'transformation' ^^

Good luck anyway.

Seems like a daft reason to me but bye strange lady. Congratulations on the sprog I guess.
I sure will miss your ambiguous and unclear thread titles.

Istvan:

Abigail is quirky to you? Did you not hear about the kid who got called "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii"? =P

OT: Congrats on the pregnancy! :D I have no idea who you are, but becoming a mother is always a thing to celebrate! ^^

Quitting games because they're immature? Logic fail.

Quitting games because you're going to be sleeping 3 hours a night and chasing around a little bundle of mind-melting noise and energy, and won't have time to even look at a controller for the next 1-3 years? Guaranteed.

Congratulations on forking your process. ;)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked