Irish SOPA law has passed today

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Irish version of SOPA has just passed today and will be in effect soon ignoring a signed petition of 80,000 voters which is quite a big number of people over here.

The internet was so good and now ignorant old fools who don't know how to sue it want to destroy it. Yay...

Sorry for you Ireland. At least American Politicians bow to Pressure from the Public if there is enough outrage.

You could always move here.

If I was the kind of guy that downloads illegal torrents, what would this mean for me?

well what it means is that the companies now have the power to take Internet providers to court unless they block access to certain sites.
The problem is the law itself is so badly written that other sites that are not doing anything wrong will also be affected.

HerrBobo:
If I was the kind of guy that downloads illegal torrents, what would this mean for me?

This would mean that basically all websites that stream TV shows/movies would be blocked by the government barring those that are in writing legal to be streaming these things. It would also mean that all torrent websites like demonoid.me and thepiratebay.org would be blocked by the government. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the most direct effect of the SOPA.

It's an absolute disgrace and the TD who signed it is a traitorous little snake.

His Twitter isn't having a pleasant evening...

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%40seansherlocktd

This is a sad day, but isn't there a chance that people will be able to eventually come up with workarounds for these blocks?

Cloudwolf616:
The Irish version of SOPA has just passed today and will be in effect soon ignoring a signed petition of 80,000 voters which is quite a big number of people over here.

So perhaps the Irish need to use the IRA again.

Volf:

Cloudwolf616:

Why do people keep saying this, even in jest? I don't think people realize what the IRA actually is today...

MiracleOfSound:

Volf:

Cloudwolf616:

Why do people keep saying this, even in jest? I don't think people realize what the IRA actually is today...

I realize that they are a former shell of what they once were, but they made a difference in the last century, wouldn't you agree?

Volf:

MiracleOfSound:

Volf:

I realize that they are a former shell of what they once were, but they made a difference in the last century, wouldn't you agree?

Ah its not that its the fact that they are a terrorist organisation over here responsible for the deaths of quite a few innocent people.
The IRA that once was during the rule of the British Government is long gone im afraid.

Cloudwolf616:

Volf:

MiracleOfSound:

Ah its not that its the fact that they are a terrorist organisation over here responsible for the deaths of quite a few innocent people.
The IRA that once was during the rule of the British Government is long gone im afraid.

I hope your not grouping the original IRA in with what is left of them and calling them terrorist.

I realize this, but the original IRA where the group I was thinking of

Volf:

Their political agenda doesn't really concern itself with internet censorship...

MiracleOfSound:

Volf:

Their political agenda doesn't really concern itself with internet censorship...

Good point, perhaps that could be a change in their policies.

Well shit on a shingle, does this effect both the North and South of Ireland?

Also

His facebook is funny, he ain't getting re-elected...
Which is I think the only way (baring a French style revolution) to get through to the scum.
In other words:
They used to say there's no snakes in Ireland, looks like 'they' were wrong.

SeeIn2D:

HerrBobo:

This would mean that basically all websites that stream TV shows/movies would be blocked by the government barring those that are in writing legal to be streaming these things. It would also mean that all torrent websites like demonoid.me and thepiratebay.org would be blocked by the government. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the most direct effect of the SOPA.

Thanks for the info.

One more question. If I had already been downloading illegal torrents, is there any way for the Irish Government to track me? Assuming I do live in Ireland that is. My, eh, ....friend wants to know...

Cheers.

HerrBobo:

SeeIn2D:

HerrBobo:

Thanks for the info.

One more question. If I had already been downloading illegal torrents, is there any way for the Irish Government to track me? Assuming I do live in Ireland that is. My, eh, ....friend wants to know...

Cheers.

Well tell your friend that peerblocking software wouldnt go amiss, however if the government asked whatever the isp is for an entire history of internet activity then not much could be done about that.

Cloudwolf616:

Volf:

MiracleOfSound:

New group. Call it the I.I.T.B.A (Irish Internet Take Bake Association) Their weapons will be explosive mouses and uber trolling all the politicians.

Kidding aside, at least now we can see the effectiveness of such a bill. If it does much more bad than good like most people think, then maybe it will cause countries to move away from such ideas.

I think this is a good thing. Because now the rest of the world can watch Ireland and reference the events that will take place and use that data against future SOPA laws in other nations.

The liberties of Ireland is a small sacrifice for the greater good on a global scale.

MiracleOfSound:

Volf:

Cloudwolf616:

is it the internet rebellion army/jk I know what the IRA is

OT: thank god northern Ireland isn't effected by the laws of the republic of Ireland

Europe is really being swept by a load of nasty internet governance lately. I feel for y'all, definitely.

I sure hope the internet can survive this onslaught that being constantly directed at it right now.

Woe, I feel bad for the people in Ireland. I can see some people aren't getting re-elected...

The Irish should rise up and fight the tyranny that has plagued their fair country...

MiracleOfSound:

Volf:

Cloudwolf616:

Aren't they a political party now?

god damn it just god damn it, our stupid technophobic country has done it again!

i would say this calls for a revolution but hey we irish are terrible at that

anyone know where i can find a "living with sopa guide"? because i wanna make sure burly men don't come after me when i accidentally click a link without being sure what it is

RabbidKuriboh:
god damn it just god damn it, our stupid technophobic country has done it again!

You can't just start a revolution.

You need to work your way up to that.

Practice, practice, practice :D

Daystar Clarion:

RabbidKuriboh:

oh many many many were tried and everyone was crushed the biggest martial achievement in irish history was the taking over of a post office for a few days which was done by terrorists too so.........

RabbidKuriboh:

Daystar Clarion:

RabbidKuriboh:

oh many many many were tried and everyone was crushed the biggest martial achievement in irish history was the taking over of a post office for a few days which was done by terrorists too so.........

Maybe revolutions just aren't your thing.

Ever considered a different hobby? Like embroidery?

You guys like potatoes right? Ever tried growing something else?

Fappy:

Not really, no.

Volf:
Good point, perhaps that could be a change in their policies.

You should totally tell them that.

MiracleOfSound:
It's an absolute disgrace and the TD who signed it is a traitorous little snake.

His Twitter isn't having a pleasant evening...

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%40seansherlocktd

Hopefully, it'll scare him enough to try and do some damage control for the sake of his career. I know that the pissed off demographic probably aren't the most committed voters but the backlash might be enough for him to make some sort of move.

OCCUPY DUBLIN!
Mayhapse Miracle could write a decent protest song?

RabbidKuriboh:

Daystar Clarion:

RabbidKuriboh:

Are you joking? The damage caused during the Rising was due to British ships shelling the shit out of a city they claimed was part of their own country, not the small group of ill-equipped idealists who were making more of a protest than revolution.

OT: To be honest, I can't muster much anger over this, considering every thing else happening here. It's certainly an utterly disgusting decision, but I'm just slightly more worried about imminent Eurozone collapse.

Edit:

Fappy:

I think your confusing Sinn Féin with the IRA. Sinn Féin were the only major Republican party in the North. They pretty much abandoned the South after a large group under the leadership of DeValera split off to form Fianna Fáil, but they've began focusing on the Republic again since the collapse of the Fianna Fáil government. Too much detail?

MiracleOfSound:

Please tell me this isn't going to affect your show.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked