Men are from mars, Women are from venus. A look at the line that divides us.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I am a male and it's no mystery that men and women are very different. We are all as individuals unique, more so on the inside, our thoughts and ideals. Are men and women so different from each other on the inside? Even so that is not what this topic is about. Its about the obvious differences on the outside. A look at fashion, the norm of what a man and women should do, how to act, what to look like.

This is my thought on the matter. As a male I often find myself looking at the fashion, style and over all appearance of the two sexes. We are all into different things, some of us prefer blue over red. I don't feel we have as much choice as we think we do however.

Look at the style of clothes in a store, there is a mens section and a womens. Now there are obvious reasons for this, like the shape of our bodies, but these are completely different clothes, the colors, the pattern, the style. On a personal note, I find that female as a whole have lighter blue jeans, while men are usually darker. I can't seem to find light blue jeans for men.
Let's look at jewelry, women wear a lot. Men wear watches, sometimes simple earings and a simple chain necklace with maybe a cross on it. Women wear long earings, much more colorful selections, extravagent necklaces.
Now look at make-up, body hair, body tone. For a guy to wear cosmetics is slightly weird, for females is just fine. It is more strange for a guy to shave his legs and arm pits, but even more strange if a female DOESN'T do these things. Women want to look thin, men want to look fit.

We are naturally different because of the slight differences on our body, breasts, genitals, height. It's the unatural things in life that really make us look different.

Now i'm not trying to look at our media and blame them for all this or try to pick apart why this is what it is. This is just a personal observation I have and for good reason. There are many things I do in my life that people would call me girly because of it, or gay.
I found myself simply more interested in my own image, then how a man should look as we are reminded by the billboards and magazines.

-TLdr- The main idea of this tread is to ask you escapists, what is your sex and what is that one thing that you wish you could do or that you do, do, that is generally regarded as strange for your said sex to do, but normal for the other sex to do.

Well I am a male, rather luckily as being able to possess a total of 3 pairs of shoes is socially acceptable and that makes me very happy. :D

Women do have many a mystery however I rarely sit and think, wow I wish I was a lass, have dated plenty but they do seem like a weird species most of the time.

The common one is having breasts but I have enough trouble with what to do with my arm when in bed so it doesn't go numb when I lie on it, surely breasts would be even more problematic?

The one jealousy, if it is really one, is if blokes see two, fairly attractive, women kissing it is all woohoo but flip the gender and it's more eurghh! Surely this is proof there are different species at play. :P

IrishAdams:
snip.

I'll tell you womans cloths are a fucking pain in the ass

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-most-baffling-things-about-womens-clothes/

...if I were a guy I would know exactally what to wear, but that part of my brain the "yaygirlfashion!" part is missing

I cant tell you how much greif it has caused me...to have to think about the right cloths....I mean even if I get input from others I hate it anyway

obviously men and women have different bodies..what looks flattering one isnt the same for another (I have a few gaming shirts so trust me on that one)

that fact that a guy can wear jeans and a shirt to somthing and its acceptible..but if I do it its underdressed is somthing I find rage-inducingly stupid

I dont like dresses, I dont like skirts

EDIT: aside form the clothing thing theres not much gender-realted stuff that I cant do..I play games, my bedroom looks liek it would belong to a 23 year old ultranerd man, and I belive liking pink is actually society brainwashing girls

Sidiron:
snip

...do you rest your arm underneith your chest? thats like putting alot of your body weight on it

my arm goes under my head/pillow or by my side..

Vault101:

Sidiron:
snip

...do you rest your arm underneith your chest? thats like putting alot of your body weight on it

my arm goes under my head/pillow or by my side..

Aye, especially when you're trying to do the romantic thing and snuggle up with someone, the bottom arm doesn't fit anywhere, the pillow is ok sometimes, but then you turn over and nearly wrench it out the socket. I think my male biology is flawed in this respect :P

Female here, and honestly I don't really care for my sex. Honestly I hate girls cloths this saves me from having to type out why:

Vault101:

One thing I'm insanely jealous of men for is their ability to carry a wallet. I bought the smallest men's wallet I could find (since women's are just stupidly huge) and I still can't fit it into most of my pockets.

And the fact they don't need to wear make-up and uncomfortable cloths and do their hair just to look acceptable.

I wouldn't trade anything in the world for the ability to pee standing up. However, shaving can get quite annoying sometimes...wouldn't mind getting rid of that, or making it less regular.

TehCookie:
Female here, and honestly I don't really care for my sex. Honestly I hate girls cloths this saves me from having to type out why:

Vault101:

One thing I'm insanely jealous of men for is their ability to carry a wallet. I bought the smallest men's wallet I could find (since women's are just stupidly huge) and I still can't fit it into most of my pockets.

And the fact they don't need to wear make-up and uncomfortable cloths and do their hair just to look acceptable.

I spent 3 years locked up in an instution with the most annoying face-palm inducing creature known to human-kind....

......teenage girls *shudder*

As a male who always wears jeans, I love the fact that my clothing is able to hold my phone, wallet, keys etc. Many of the females I know don't actually like carrying a handbag around and a few even resort to keeping their phone in their bra. Don't know how this would work and I'm not sure if I want to know...

TehCookie:

Vault101:

Wait a minute...

There are men's and women's wallets where you come from? Whats the difference between them? How can there be a difference between them?

OT: While growing a pair of boobs is not something I'd want, I'm still slightly jelly over the fact that women can just dive their hand between their boobs and pick up a phone, their keys, or whatever they keep there.

Female here. I wish I could run a comb through my hair, put on a t-shirt and jeans and start my day without having anyone giving me disapproving or judgmental looks.

I hate all the upkeep that women are required to do that men don't have to. Sure, men can spend a long time primping and dressing up in the morning, but it's just as fine if they don't and no one begrudges them for it.

But this is all outweighed by the fact that I'm self-conscious and want to look pretty, so I just suck it up and deal with the hour it takes to get ready in the morning.

IamQ:

TehCookie:

Vault101:

Wait a minute...

There are men's and women's wallets where you come from? Whats the difference between them? How can there be a difference between them?

Men's wallets are generally small, plain and leather. Women's wallets are either all flashy and bulky, or they're 2-in-1 wallet/clutch purse combos.

Esotera:
I wouldn't trade anything in the world for the ability to pee standing up. However, shaving can get quite annoying sometimes...wouldn't mind getting rid of that, or making it less regular.

I can assure you that as a woman you wouldn't shave any less frequently. You wouldn't have to shave your face, but you'd have to shave your armpits, legs, pubes, and sometimes arms frequently. Also you'd have to pluck or wax your eyebrows, and when you get older, your mustache.

IamQ:

TehCookie:

Vault101:

Wait a minute...

Well there's these womans moneythings. Don't know how they are called, but== they are absolutely fucking humongous, and very strong reason for girls to carry their bags everywhere. Because A: they can't fit shit in the comically undersized pockeets their clothes sport, and B: Once you've got one of those purses you get used to having everything you own on you at all times, which is a fairly hard addiction to battle.

Male, I wish I were as eloquent as some women. It seems to come much more naturally to women. Guess it's just my brutish male mind.

IrishAdams:

-TLdr- The main idea of this tread is to ask you escapists, what is your sex and what is that one thing that you wish you could do or that you do, do, that is generally regarded as strange for your said sex to do, but normal for the other sex to do.

I'm a male. I would like to have lesbian sex.

Other than that, I'm pretty damn happy that I'm a dude, I'd be a terrible chick. Kinda hard pressed to come up with any reason that being female would be a plus...for every pro, there's a con.

Also PMS.

I trust the pee theory. Pee is what defines the difference in our gender (apart from the physical aspect).

IrishAdams:

Lesbian sex like the other poster said. 'Nuff said.

Male here...One thing (it's not one thing) that I find confusing is that a "men" should not where makeup and such thing but then we have shaving...pre-scrub,gel(foam),after shave,skin treatment then sometimes you should also have lipbalm,eyecarethingis and sunscreen...then there is also haircare (wax or spray)...Oh, eyebrows to "can't/shouldn't" have a uni-brow so wax that. But no makeup or jewlery but a watch is fine (why?)...anyway to the actual topic I shaved my legs once it felt nice but aperently it's weird as stated above but then again too hairy legs are "wrong" to.Liking pink is also according to some weird. Also purses or handbags are sometimes wrong for "men" to carry so it should all fit in your pocket ? no, because then the phants dose not fit right...so don't carry things except a wallet and phone (?) and that should be in...damn you overanalysing brain *cries in corner* anyway before I confusse myself, I think that was all I can think of right now,sorry if I did not replay to the topic propely got confussed in my thinking process.

I find it funny, that of all the people I know that have most trouble interacting or understanding women...are women.

life is funny like that.

IrishAdams:
I am a male and it's no mystery that men and women are very different.

I'd dispute that, unless you are including arbitrary cultural things. If so, those are going to vary from places to place, there's a few constants, women are seen as somewhat less more or less across the board, but the trappings aren't all the same.

Esotera:

Women shave more often than men.

At least, they have to if they want to get laid.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

If a man has gotten far enough to see the genitalia, I don't think a few hairs will stop him dead in his tracks from reaching the prize.

Or are you saying a woman who doesn't shave her armpits certainly doesn't shave her pupes/legs? Valid I guess.

Or are you saying they flash their privat parts to get some action? I am sure handfuld do, but it's not very common.

Pretty sure it just stops most men from going down on her, as I am sure rule 34 can be applied here though.

Taunta:
Female here. I wish I could run a comb through my hair, put on a t-shirt and jeans and start my day without having anyone giving me disapproving or judgmental looks.

If it's any comfort, I would prefer it if women were more casual. Yesterday, I had to be more formal (than usual anyway) for an occasion, so I my preparation consisted of: showering, shaving, brushing my teeth, putting on some Eau de toilette, and a more formal shirt (not the ones you can wear a tie with).

Out of these, only the last two were something I don't do that regularly. When I went there, I felt that I might as well have worn pyjamas - the women there obviously put so much effort in their looks.

Boris Goodenough:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

If a man has gotten far enough to see the genitalia, I don't think a few hairs will stop him dead in his tracks from reaching the prize.

Or are you saying a woman who doesn't shave her armpits certainly doesn't shave her pupes/legs? Valid I guess.

Or are you saying they flash their privat parts to get some action? I am sure handfuld do, but it's not very common.

Pretty sure it just stops most men from going down on her, as I am sure rule 34 can be applied here though.

I dont know about other people (actually, thats a lie, I do) but if I see a woman walking around with hairy legs and/or overly hairy arms theres no way I am doing anything to her.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I dont know about other people (actually, thats a lie, I do) but if I see a woman walking around with hairy legs and/or overly hairy arms theres no way I am doing anything to her.

Either I have not seen hairy women then, or you live where yetis roam.

I dont really pay much attention to what my gender says I should do.
I mean, I shave my legs and armpits, thats about it. My skin is too sensitive to put loads of slap on it, so I dont wear make up either, I just make sure I look okay.
As the song goes `What the fuck is ladylike if ladies like to do what the fuck they like`.

I dont see why people are bothered being called out doing stuff thats not normal for their gender.

Woman here. Wish I didn't have to feel I aught to wear heels when I go for a night out. I rarely do because they are a fucking stupid piece of clothing, but you always end up dithering around wondering if looking slightly taller is worth an evening of agony.

Generally I don't mind being a girl though. I do think we probably picked the short straw what with the... well, all the shit that makes women's lives hell. But I like pretty clothes and I feel better about myself when I shave my legs and wear makeup.

Maybe it's just society telling me that's the only way I'll be pretty, but at least my boyfriend tells me I don't need to wear makeup. Because it tastes weird when he licks my face o_o

Boris Goodenough:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Either I have not seen hairy women then, or you live where yetis roam.

Obviously you dont see many women walking around like that because they shave every other day. Which is exactly what I was saying in my first post.

Sorry, but what do you want?

As a man, I find a bit of eyeliner to be quite decent for going out. It brings out the color of my eyes beautifully. And you guys haven't lived until you've tried a mani/pedi. It's simply divine.

Quite happy being a man. I just wish I had more money to lavish myself with manly clothes and accessories.

This is a brilliant site for keeping it manly, while not macho.

Vault101:

IrishAdams:
snip.

...if I were a guy I would know exactally what to wear, but that part of my brain the "yaygirlfashion!" part is missing

See, I've never understood the problem. Almost none of the women I know are fashion mavens, and they get "regular" clothes fine. Maybe it's just the stores shopped, but really.

I cant tell you how much greif it has caused me...to have to think about the right cloths....I mean even if I get input from others I hate it anyway

So don't play that game. Since it's social conditioning, the only way you will see a change is if you don't mesh with it.

obviously men and women have different bodies..what looks flattering one isnt the same for another (I have a few gaming shirts so trust me on that one)

Not necessarily true.

that fact that a guy can wear jeans and a shirt to somthing and its acceptible..but if I do it its underdressed is somthing I find rage-inducingly stupid

Never seen this in play.

I dont like dresses, I dont like skirts

Thankfully, this isn't the 19th century.

EDIT: aside form the clothing thing theres not much gender-realted stuff that I cant do..I play games, my bedroom looks liek it would belong to a 23 year old ultranerd man, and I belive liking pink is actually society brainwashing girls

Pink is the devil.

Here at college, I am constantly amazed by the female's inherent reziliance that allows them to walk about in short shorts with shaved legs in the middle of January.

Zachary Amaranth:
Pink is the devil.

Oi her singings not THAT bad!

Well, my sex is male, and the thing I want to do is be female, which I'm pretty sure is rather uncommon among men, but pretty common among women.

Right now I'm trying to convince my school to get rid of the gender divide between uniforms, so that boys can wear skirts and girls trousers ect. Just doing my part for equality!

I'm a little bit odd in that I really like pink but nearly every other other aspect of my personality is male gender norm. I hate thinking about clothes, hair and makeup. I like comic books and video games. Most, if not all of my friends are male.

It's been a bit of a stress throughout my life. I just DON'T CARE about that stuff. I really envy the male ability to do basic hygiene comb their hair put a t shirt and jeans on and walk out the door. Women are expected to look like fashion models in public. If a woman does go out like that she is seen as 'not making an effort'.

You guys don't know how good you have it.

I would sell my soul to get rid of PMS and you can quote me on that.

IrishAdams:
As a male I often find myself looking at the fashion, style and over all appearance of the two sexes. We are all into different things, some of us prefer blue over red. I don't feel we have as much choice as we think we do however.

Did you know that blue was a girl's colour and red was a men's colour until very recently? The fashion stuff is just culture, not an inherent difference. This includes things like jewelry and makeup as those have also been men's wear at times. In most species it is actually the male that has to puff up and look good/colourful to the female.

The real differences between men and women are on the inside. Genetics/evolution have created tendencies based on what was needed to survive millions of years ago. These preferences are still buried in us.

For example, while there exceptions, men tend on average to be larger than women. Women tend to be more included towards "rearing the children". Men tend to be bigger risk takers.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Obviously you dont see many women walking around like that because they shave every other day. Which is exactly what I was saying in my first post.

Sorry, but what do you want?

It's all in jest, I thought my hyperbolic language gave it away.
Sorry for the confusion.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked