Meth junkie burns down 3,500 year old tree

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Gizmodo:
Because Florida is running out of unique ways to embarrass itself, a 26-year old meth enthusiast set fire to and destroyed the world's fifth oldest tree last month. While she was in it. Smoking meth.

Sarah Barnes had climbed the tree to smoke, because where better to get high than in the branches of a 118-foot, 3,500 year old cypress ? The fire in question came when she wanted to get a better view of her surroundings, and presumably also her drugs. "The Senator," as the tree was known, was burned to the ground.

The good news is that Barnes seemed sufficiently chastened by the whole thing, reportedly telling friends that "I can't believe I burned down a tree older than Jesus." Neither can he, Sarah. Neither can he.

So what have we learned? First of all, please be careful with lighters. In the wrong hands, they can be deceptively destructive little gadgets. And then yes, right, meth. Don't do that.

Update: Apparently Ms. Barnes was actually inside the trunk of the tree, not on a branch, which is somehow even sadder/worse.

http://gizmodo.com/5889581/meth-addict-accidentally-burns-down-worlds-fifth+oldest-tree

Sad that something so old could go out just because a meth-head was drugging it up. I'm betting all the oxygen it gave over 3,500 years contributed a lot more than this zombie ever will. And I do mean zombie in the literal sense...

Holy crap, she's Emperor Palpatine! Let this be a lesson kids, DON'T DO DRUGS!

Oh well, as the old saying goes, there are plenty more trees in the sea... or something

Am I the only one wondering "So what's the new fifth oldest tree?"

It's such a shame something old and magnificent burned down.
...and now I'm over it.

Maybe she didn't try to set the tree on fire.

Maybe someone saw her and went, "ZOMBIE! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"

And then they missed with the whole fire thing.

Also, in before "drugs are bad m'kay?"

She? 26? ...wow.
Natural selection should work harder.

You can get arrested for burning down a tree? /: Arson, I guess...

EeveeElectro:

Or maybe for the meth?

Aidinthel:

EeveeElectro:

Or maybe for the meth?

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that...
Unless it all got burnt >.< although I'm sure a junkie would do anything to stop their precious drugs from getting harmed >_>

Hero in a half shell:

Oh well, as the old saying goes, there are plenty more trees in the sea... or something

I thought that looked like him too until I saw that it was a 'she' and not a 'he' in the article.

OT: Well that's depressing. Good job killing a tree that's older than Jesus you silly zombie meth head. >:(

So, drugs are bad, m'kay.

I think the news report has got it's figures muddled.

Judging by the photo, it should be "3,500 year old Meth Junkie burns down 26 year old tree".

Well I can certainly guess that no one had expected that tree to go down like that.

Ha! That got a laugh out of me. At least the tree made one last great act by giving us all something to chuckle (or cry) about.

I bet she was smoking the blue stuff. (Semi-obscure reference, anyone who gets it earns themselves a cookie.)

Trees that old are a precious and beautiful thing. They support animal life, and often have trees growing out of the tree itself. *sigh* What a waste.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I bet she was smoking the blue stuff. (Semi-obscure reference, anyone who gets it earns themselves a cookie.)

Could be wrong but I think I remember something like that in Breaking Bad.

OT: She looks like an old shoe.

Don't blame the man, blame the evil society that forced him to take up a life of illegal activities such as drugs.

Kendarik:
Trees that old are a precious and beautiful thing. They support animal life, and often have trees growing out of the tree itself. *sigh* What a waste.

Plus there's Jesus too. The Mormon jesus might have touched that tree or even lived in it.

I like how the emphasis is on 'Oh no, a tree got burnt' rather than 'this person needs help'.

I swear, Florida may be the American equivalent of Japan. Seriously. And a 26-year old woman looking like that? Her punishment should be be that her face would be on posters about meth usage with the captions: "This woman was 26 at the time of her photo shoot".

TheRightToArmBears:
I like how the emphasis is on 'Oh no, a tree got burnt' rather than 'this person needs help'.

You can't help the undead.

More seriously though, it's not "some tree" that got burnt. It's an extremely old tree that's lived through countless wars among other things, that's probably contributed more than she has or ever will.

TheRightToArmBears:

It's an addict, so its self induced. And she's so far gone I doubt help will help. That she needs help is however obvious.

The tragedy is the tree, which isn't just a random tree, but a real natural wonder.

Jamash:

Judging by the photo, it should be "3,500 year old Meth Junkie burns down 26 year old tree".

You win. Fucking lol'd.

Jamash:

Well that's what meth does to you, even smoking tobacco ages you quite substantially with years of use.

It's something to do with skin cells, or something.

TheRightToArmBears:

Stories like this, and many others, make me prefer trees to people, to be quite honest with you.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Ha! That got a laugh out of me. At least the tree made one last great act by giving us all something to chuckle (or cry) about.

Call Saul now! Lol

OT: wow, just wow

This is funny . It's like in those horror movies where a character suvives the harshest scenarios and then get's killed off by the dumbest thing. Then again , it's just a tree .

"Because Florida is running out of unique ways to embarrass itself, a 26-year old meth enthusiast set fire to and destroyed the world's fifth oldest tree last month. While she was in it. Smoking meth."

Anyone else read that in GLaDOS' voice? :P

For Science!

Wow, I don't know how this hasn't come up yet, but that woman looks exactly like Sten from Dragon Age Origins.

Hopefully the Florida...ns? ians?.... will have the wisdom to just leave her for the Darkspawn.

Saladfork:
Wow, I don't know how this hasn't come up yet, but that woman looks exactly like Sten from Dragon Age Origins.

Hopefully the Florida...ns? ians?.... will have the wisdom to just leave her for the Darkspawn.

Fuck that shit. Tie her to a pole, strap dynamite to both her legs and run for the trenches.

Why is it we only learn about things such as the world's fifth oldest tree when they get destroyed?

Hero in a half shell:

You shouldn't compare drug addicts to Emperor Palpatine. It's degrading to Palpatine.

Well I hope she gets rehabilitated and serves her time. As for the tree? Well it's a tree, no matter how old it is it's still just a tree. Move on.

3500 years? Damn, that's impressive. I thought 400 years was streching it when it came to trees.
*totally missing the point*

TheRightToArmBears:

Dude this tree is older then you... by like 116 times over, and why would they... most people would care about the tree more anyway, lol.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

you and your goddamn partner pinkman.

look what you have done... :)

erttheking:
Why is it we only learn about things such as the world's fifth oldest tree when they get destroyed?

because you don't really care about/pay attention to trees or other breathtaking things until they are gone.

Dejawesp:

Kendarik:

Plus there's Jesus too. The Mormon jesus might have touched that tree or even lived in it.

haha mormon jesus. its funny because i find the mormon church is like the christian church on meth/mushrooms/lsd

btw how the hell did she manage to climb into such a big tree. they are most often guarded...

Gizmodo:
meth enthusiast

that's one thing to call them. personally, I use jakey bastards but...

OT: shouldn't there be security to stop this?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked