Job searching advice

As it stands I have been more or less unemployed my entire (nearly) 23 years of life and I hate it!

I have been on countless courses for employability, retail, interview techniques, CV writing etc, I have done countless hours of voluntary work and spent hundreds of hours scrolling past thousands of jobs the vast majority of which I can't do (traveling or not qualified for).

I want to know how you got a job or any tips for getting one.

I am sick of feeling like a leech and a waster, I want to pay my own bills and have enough to afford to enjoy life, eat out once in awhile etc.

Edit. Sorry, I forgot there was an advice forum ...

omega 616:
As it stands I have been more or less unemployed my entire (nearly) 23 years of life and I hate it!

I have been on countless courses for employability, retail, interview techniques, CV writing etc, I have done countless hours of voluntary work and spent hundreds of hours scrolling past thousands of jobs the vast majority of which I can't do (traveling or not qualified for).

I am sick of feeling like a leech and a waster, I want to pay my own bills and have enough to afford to enjoy life, eat out once in awhile etc.

I know how you feel, I have been unemployed twice for periods of about 6 months each and it is the most boring, depressing and soul destroying feeling in the world. I never want to be unemployed again. And the people who are supposed to help you get a job are no bloody use at all.

Unfortunately, its the wrong time to try and get a job, not many people are hiring at the moment due to the economy. My advice to you is to get yourself out there, ask in fast food restaurants, bars, nightclub, hotels, shops, see if they need any staff. It may be shit work for shit pay, but at least you are working and earning money. You have a reason to get up in the morning and you get the Job Center off your back. Plus while you are working, you can still keep looking for a better job or see what promotional prospects are on offer in the place you work.

Good luck.

I got really lucky with my current job so the only advice I can really offer is: know people that know people.

Join the club (in the same position). I don't know what else to say really other than we just have to endure it.

Scarim Coral:
Join the club (in the same position). I don't know what else to say really other than we just have to endure it.

^ This

The world has changed a hell of a lot since the market crash of '08

We are no longer "staff" we are now "investments" as the attitude of your average employer has now changed from business efficiency to clawing as much money as possible to not get fired

Heck, even seasoned professionals are having hard times and the governments and media are bent on blaming the vulnerable to protect themselves from blame and responsiblity for that leads to getting fired

it's every man for himself, and every man looks after his own now, like what a guy above said... know people who know people, it's your only hope

I applied for a job with the housing group I am with, I also lived in there homeless shelter for 2 years and I now volunteer with the caretaker who also works for the same housing group. I also know one of the people doing the interview but I am not sure if that is a good thing or not, we got along perfectly well before but I might feel weird being interviewed by a person I know.

The trouble is they rip off the "whats your name, D.O.B, sex" etc so there is no bias or whatever when they do the short list for the interviews. I also have fuck all experience in professional sitting around and doing nothing AKA night supervisor, sure I can sit in flat all day everyday but I don't think they will let me play battlefield all night.

I really hope I get the job, min wage is £5.96 ish and this job pays £7.96! I will cry with joy if I get that job!

I've been in that chair too, it really sucks. I started studying just to get away from bouncing between unemployment and shitty on-call, hourly wage jobs.

However in my experience there are 2 things that basically decide if you get the job or not. First of all is to have a tactical CV/Resumé/Letter, try to disguise bad stuff (long periods of unemployment, negative personality traits) and bring your good sides to the forefront, the writing needs to give off an assured and confident tone.

Secondly is to be the most likeable, driven, charismatic motherfucker ever at the interview. Seriously, that is extremely important. Consider reading books about body language, practice talking skills in the bathroom quenue etc. Be manipulative if you have to, as long as you get the job.

Bottom line is, tell people what they want to hear. Don't outright lie but make sure to put a positive spin on everything relating to you. Also remember, unless they ask for, don't mention things that could be negative.

Either that or know the right people. Nepotism is the I-WIN button of job seeking.

ChaoticKraus:
snip

I went to a government funded scheme that helps with getting jobs and such, they made me CV's for different jobs and I bet they must be like junk mail 'cos I never hear anything back from them!

I can't even get into an interview, I know that if I did I would whore myself out like free samples of sausage! I even have a speech played out in my head about if I actually got into an interview again.

Just keep at it. I got seriously depressed looking for work, it took 4 months of solid looking before I got lucky.
Don't worry about setting your standards low. You might not wanna work at say, McDonald's, but in two/three years you could work yourself up to be a manager! Or even if it's just working there, it's something on your CV to help you get other jobs.
I had to look into volunteering, just potential employers know you can work with people.

Don't let people turning you down get you depressed either, it'll happen but it doesn't mean you should beat yourself up about it! ^-^

omega 616:
I applied for a job with the housing group I am with, I also lived in there homeless shelter for 2 years and I now volunteer with the caretaker who also works for the same housing group. I also know one of the people doing the interview but I am not sure if that is a good thing or not, we got along perfectly well before but I might feel weird being interviewed by a person I know.

The trouble is they rip off the "whats your name, D.O.B, sex" etc so there is no bias or whatever when they do the short list for the interviews. I also have fuck all experience in professional sitting around and doing nothing AKA night supervisor, sure I can sit in flat all day everyday but I don't think they will let me play battlefield all night.

I really hope I get the job, min wage is £5.96 ish and this job pays £7.96! I will cry with joy if I get that job!

I am not entirely sure what the exchange rate between the dollar and pound are right now, but I think I make about that much right now. It's a decent enough income in this economy, that is for sure.

EDIT: Just checked the exchange rate and that is about half a dollar more than me.

omega 616:

ChaoticKraus:
snip

I went to a government funded scheme that helps with getting jobs and such, they made me CV's for different jobs and I bet they must be like junk mail 'cos I never hear anything back from them!

I can't even get into an interview, I know that if I did I would whore myself out like free samples of sausage! I even have a speech played out in my head about if I actually got into an interview again.

Yeah, standing out helps too. A personally written one definitely makes you stand out. Maybe you should consider pimping it with some graphical design? Not too much of course, but daring to do that will definitely make it stand out it the pile.

After failing for a year and a half to find a job that 1) I get called back for, and 2) can work around my university schedule, I'm considering just biting the bullet and seeing if they'll accept me into the reserves.

There are certainly worse jobs, and the pay is pretty good, all things considered.

Saladfork:
After failing for a year and a half to find a job that 1) I get called back for, and 2) can work around my university schedule, I'm considering just biting the bullet and seeing if they'll accept me into the reserves.

There are certainly worse jobs, and the pay is pretty good, all things considered.

I've been in the Australian Army Reserves for a little over 5 years now. We quite often have uni students join up. More often than not, the extended exercises and courses are scheduled to coincide with uni holidays.

As you say, the pay is decent enough. For an average month, being 4 Tuesday nights and a weekend, I usually come away with around 600 bucks tax free. Basically, it pays my bills at the end of the month so I don't have to worry about it.

The best part though would have to be the skills you actually acquire. I'm in Transport Corp, so all the vehicle licenses that I have got through army are easily transferred to my civilian drivers license. Plus, army paid me to do the courses. It's awesome. And while infantry and artillery skills may not seem so useful in the civilian world, there's still the leadership and discipline that you will no doubt come away with. Having a period of service on your resume can only do good.

Fatboy_41:

I've been in the Australian Army Reserves for a little over 5 years now. We quite often have uni students join up. More often than not, the extended exercises and courses are scheduled to coincide with uni holidays.

As you say, the pay is decent enough. For an average month, being 4 Tuesday nights and a weekend, I usually come away with around 600 bucks tax free. Basically, it pays my bills at the end of the month so I don't have to worry about it.

The best part though would have to be the skills you actually acquire. I'm in Transport Corp, so all the vehicle licenses that I have got through army are easily transferred to my civilian drivers license. Plus, army paid me to do the courses. It's awesome. And while infantry and artillery skills may not seem so useful in the civilian world, there's still the leadership and discipline that you will no doubt come away with. Having a period of service on your resume can only do good.

That is... unless war were declared

*alarm goes off*

:V what's that noise?

... War were declared xP

Then you get to die for some reason, probably so that old white men can steal someone else's oil or something

omega 616:

Screw all that crap about customizing resumes and cover letters. Just blast out resumes to anything that looks even remotely intriguing.

Shivarage:

Fatboy_41:

That is... unless war were declared

*alarm goes off*

:V what's that noise?

... War were declared xP

Then you get to die for some reason, probably so that old white men can steal someone else's oil or something

As a Reservist in Australia, there are only 2 circumstances in which you MUST serve. If Australia itself gets invaded, or if the governor-general signs an order. Both instances have sweet fuck-all chance of happening at the moment.

For overseas operations, reservists put their hand up and offer to go, not get told they are going. Having said that, there is not a single area of operations the Australian are currently serving in that I would not stick my hand up for.

EDIT- I totally missed the "War were declared" reference. And now my brain won't let me remember where it's from. ARGH... I want to say... Futurama maybe. Stupid brain not working on a Friday.

Well, the biggest hint I've always found is get into your prospective employer's skin. What do they want? What are they looking for? Why would he want to hire you specifically? Think of what those things are and tell them that.

What else? Believe in yourself. If you show a lack of confidence, it'll be interpreted, even just subconciously, as being unfit to work there. Insecurity can also show in other things. Heavy use of perfume for instance tells me someone is terrified of stinking, in addition, I'd like to talk to someone without wishing I had a gas mask along. The impression you leave if something like that happens is never 'that's who we need to hire'.

Thirdly, qualifications aren't laws. It's not uncommon for demanded qualifications to be bullshit, or hardly relevant. Respond to jobs you're almost-but-not-quite qualified for as well. Especially demands on relevant experience are almost always bullshit. Every company woks differently, and thus no experience in another company prepares someone else any better for the job than you are. You're open-minded and will learn the way that company does things sooner as a result. When it comes up, tell them that too.

omega 616:

Those CV writing courses courses are a waste of time. Get some useful ones like first aid (some employers like when you have a certificate for that).
Send a ton of CV's every single day. Go on several sites with ads and respond to every one, even the ones you have no qualifications for. The more CV's you send, the bigger the chance that someone will reply. Also, look for ads
Before interviews, get any info you can about who you're going to be working for, read up on what is it that they do and how, what they expect from their employees and what is generally expected from people who do these kind of jobs. Most employers like it if you already know what to do.
Once you'll go to a few interviews, you'll start to pick up some FAQs and you'll be able to prepare for them, in case they'll pop up another time.

Also, be patient.

Fatboy_41:

As a Reservist in Australia, there are only 2 circumstances in which you MUST serve. If Australia itself gets invaded, or if the governor-general signs an order. Both instances have sweet fuck-all chance of happening at the moment.

For overseas operations, reservists put their hand up and offer to go, not get told they are going. Having said that, there is not a single area of operations the Australian are currently serving in that I would not stick my hand up for.

EDIT- I totally missed the "War were declared" reference. And now my brain won't let me remember where it's from. ARGH... I want to say... Futurama maybe. Stupid brain not working on a Friday.

Good boy, private!

Just remember, I'll be right behind you

... about 45 miles behind you, in fact xD

And yes, my previous post was from Futurama =P

Catfood220:

omega 616:

I know how you feel, I have been unemployed twice for periods of about 6 months each and it is the most boring, depressing and soul destroying feeling in the world. I never want to be unemployed again. And the people who are supposed to help you get a job are no bloody use at all.

Unfortunately, its the wrong time to try and get a job, not many people are hiring at the moment due to the economy. My advice to you is to get yourself out there, ask in fast food restaurants, bars, nightclub, hotels, shops, see if they need any staff. It may be shit work for shit pay, but at least you are working and earning money. You have a reason to get up in the morning and you get the Job Center off your back. Plus while you are working, you can still keep looking for a better job or see what promotional prospects are on offer in the place you work.

Good luck.

Don't get me wrong if I could sit at home, pay all my bills and live in luxury, by luxury I mean buy any game/console/DVD/bit of tech I want ...I don't like holidays, then I would sit at home and do that.

I can easily fill a day with stuff to do without having to work.

The thing is that can't happen so I have to get a job, I actually quite like working, it makes me feel like I achieved something that day.

I think if I can't get this night supervisor job I am getting in touch with some government funded project thing to start my own business 'cos even if it goes tits up it shows that I am ambitious and all the other good stuff employers like.

Hey, I'm in a similar boat!

Been unemployed for...just over a year now. It's not fun, it's depressing, I've put on weight because I do nothing all day and it makes you feel like you're worthless.

It really doesn't help that I live in a crappy area of England, in what could be called a 'Commuter town' I.E, people live here but don't work locally. I don't drive, so that's not an option for me, and most of the jobs around here are factory work which I can't do due to arthritis in my elbow and my ankle! And I'm only 25, so you can guess my life is only going to get better from here! *cough*

It's not like I'm unemployable either, every job I had since this year of unemployment I started at the very bottom of the company and made my way up a few ranks, assistant manager being the highest I got in my last job, but the company shut down so I was made redundent and that's pretty much it.

The Job Centre are no help at all, since I've told them what I want to do but they just recommend me for crap I can't do then send me on a 4 hour course on how to use the internet to job search. I know how to job search, it's something I do every day, I don't need some old lady telling me the websites I already visit and how I should 'do the googley' to find a job.

Enough rant though, life sucks and job hunting sucks even more.

Oh, and I agree with 'knowing people' being a great way to get work, however when you're like me and you don't have any local friends, it's a little difficult :(

Welcome to the Tory strategy:

1. Make sure there are no jobs, which results in vast amounts of unemployed people.
2. Demonise the unemployed and use them as a scapegoat for unemployment, saying it's their own fault they're unemployed.
3. Force them onto government work experience schemes which provide a free workforce for big business.
4. Reap the profits for your party and fat cat friends at the top of society.

Repeat every general election.

Technically I'm a student right now, but in two months I'll be unemployed as well; I'm not looking forward to it, but there is a good chance I'll have to move (far away) in search of work.

Doc Theta Sigma:

1. Make sure there are no jobs, which results in vast amounts of unemployed people.
2. Demonise the unemployed and use them as a scapegoat for unemployment, saying it's their own fault they're unemployed.
3. Force them onto government work experience schemes which provide a free workforce for big business.

Meh, I wouldn't say the Labour strategy is much better.

1. Come up with a complex, incomprehensible benefits scheme for unemployed people.
2. Make it really easy to claim said non-working benefits.
3. Make it financially more viable to be unemployed than being paid minimum wage.
4. Ignore the snowballing costs associated.
5. Something else.
6. Profit.

Both I find rather abhorrent, which is why I don't vote.

RuralGamer:
Technically I'm a student right now, but in two months I'll be unemployed as well; I'm not looking forward to it, but there is a good chance I'll have to move (far away) in search of work.

Doc Theta Sigma:

Meh, I wouldn't say the Labour strategy is much better.

1. Come up with a complex, incomprehensible benefits scheme for unemployed people.
2. Make it really easy to claim said non-working benefits.
3. Make it financially more viable to be unemployed than being paid minimum wage.
4. Ignore the snowballing costs associated.
5. Something else.
6. Profit.

Neither do I. We have the illusion of choice. Either way, you're voting for a wealthy prick born with a silver spoon in his mouth who doesn't give two fucks about you.

There's one easy way to almost guarantee you a job right now. It won't be your dream job, and you'll be expected to put up with untold amounts of bullshit, and you'll be payed practically nothing for doing tons of work. It'll be retail.

Anyway, the one way to secure a retail position is to lie. Nothing fancy or elaborate.

You're statistically more likely to secure employment if you're already employed. So, you lie. You work for your uncle or your grandfather or your neighbor. They do lawn care or concrete work or they run/ran a small repair shop. Something soo small your potential employer won't bother to look into it. It's an official position, not under the table, and you've been there for 2-3 years. You're leaving because it's closing or going out of business or business is down so you're not getting the amount of hours you'd like.

You like working with people. You're 100% customer focused. You enjoy the satisfying feeling of helping a customer with their questions and concerns. Your strength is you ask for help if you're unsure of something, and you do everything by the book, even if it takes longer than doing it using a shortcut. Your weakness if you can't say no to helping a co-worker that asked for help with a task.

Your schedule is 100% open(unless you're a student) and you're willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays. You plan to stay with them for the foreseeable future. They'll ask you why you're interested in working for them, and you say that it's because you're looking for stable work. Tell them that you shop at their store.

Retail is a horrible, horrible career. But if you're desperate, and don't mind busting your ass, sacrificing your free time and even sometimes going against your morals, you can succeed in retail.

If you manage to score an interview in a retail position, always always make sure to smile a lot(they like to see that you're friendly and comfortable with people you don't know) and never let them make the first move. Extend your hand for the opening handshake(while smiling) and introduce yourself before they can. It shows you have initiative and are willing to approach people(customers). Ask questions when they ask if you have any questions. It doesn't matter if it's something you already know. Just be outgoing and friendly.

Even if you don't want to be in retail, you've got your foot in the door. You'll have something real to put on a resume or application, and you've got an income. It's a start.

Good luck.

Doc Theta Sigma:

RuralGamer:
*snip*

Neither do I. We have the illusion of choice. Either way, you're voting for a wealthy prick born with a silver spoon in his mouth who doesn't give two fucks about you.

Hear hear!

I don't even know why you people are trying to use logic against a government that obviously needs not make any sense at all to get its way

-Samurai-:
*snips*

Haha, around here the group that have the worst attitude are known as "the employed"

I don't see how having a good attitude is necessary to doing the job considering I have been given the worst cheek just for looking around O_o

Needless to say I decided not to shop there for that reason

I feel your pain. I was unemployed for over a year once I graduated and the monotany of applications and CVs was soul destroying. Stick with it though and apply for everything and anything! If you are willing, even apply for jobs abroad.
I randomly applied for a job working in Nepal, they phoned after a month or so and here I am living and working in Nepal with good pay and great benefits!
Just keep looking! I am not sure what sites you use but

http://www.reed.co.uk/ (this was where I got my current job)
http://www.s1jobs.com/

Most major newspapers have jobsites as well. If you have been unemployed for ages, you should qualify for funding to get extra skills/training. Use this to get a TEFL or something and you could teach English somewhere!

Gotta say the girl im seeing at the moment is in the same boat she has 1rst in war studies and is struggling for the past 4 months!

Even shop work turn her away as she is "over qualified" your not alone mate just keep positive thats the hard part :) Key thing to remember if people dont respond to your application ITS NOT PERSONAL. Seriously it really isn't so don't let it get you down. If someone replys with a rejection at least they took the time to reply to you which is good.

Keep your head up bro and keep moving forward one super shitty step at a time /brofist you need it.

Shivarage:

-Samurai-:
*snips*

Haha, around here the group that have the worst attitude are known as "the employed"

I don't see how having a good attitude is necessary to doing the job considering I have been given the worst cheek just for looking around O_o

Needless to say I decided not to shop there for that reason

You don't need a good attitude, but you have to be good at faking a good attitude.

The companies I've worked for were all about appearances. You've got to be the most friendly, helpful person in the world, or you have to know how to fake being the most friendly, helpful person in the world. Then again, I've only worked for Fortune 500 retail outlets, and can't speak on behalf of the smaller companies.

Anyway, you've got to lie your way into retail if you don't have the experience or tools needed to get in. Retail outlets generally want to hire those people that are cheery and outgoing. Wether or not they continue that attitude once hired usually goes unnoticed.

(This normally works in the U.S. I can't comment on the values and personality your retailers look for over there. Though I can't imagine it's much different.)

I have 4 pieces of advice for job seekers, based on my own experience.

1. Set aside time every day for looking for and applying for jobs, both advertised and speculative. I really can't stress this enough, if you're not getting yourself out there and making yourself available, you're not going to get anywhere. This really takes perseverance at times, because constant rejection is pretty soul-destroying.
Just handing your CV into a place you want to work can be a pretty good idea, whether they're looking for staff or not. Many places keep old application and CVs on file, and will consult them if something opens up.

2. Check up on the applications you've made. If you don't hear back from a place you applied for within a week or two (I would normally give it two), give them a phone and ask what the status of your application is. Don't worry about coming across as pushy and impatient, but it's far more likely they'll perceive it as determination and eagerness. Besides, they can't do worse than tell you you're not not getting an interview.

3. Ask your friends for help. Probably the easiest way to get a job is to know someone who already works there, and can put in a good word for you. If one of your friends happens to be a supervisor/manager, even better (turns out the more senior you are the more valued your input is. Who knew?). To give an example of this, I asked my boss about getting a friend from uni started in the place I work, and she pretty much ignored me. I asked my supervisor to recommend the same guy, and now he works with me. So yeah, talk to your friends about getting you into where they are. If they're in a senior position, then it'll only be easier for them to do.
If your friends don't want to help you out, you've got shit friends. I would highly recommend new ones.

4. If you get offered a job that looks a bit shit, think about taking it anyway (within reason). It's far, far easier to get a new job if you're already in one. It's incredibly unfair, but that's just how it is. You might even find yourself enjoying it sometimes.

Best thing to do is make friends. Friends in high places. Yes its unfair, but no don't go "fuck that". It works and it works better than anything else. Find friends who can find you a job.

Also, internet sucks. Find a place you want to work and hand your resume physically to them. Ask for the manger or if possible the store manager. Leave it with them regardless if there is a position open or not. If there is an internship take it even if its free. I myself worked in a internship for free for 3 days then ended up taking someones job because they found a better one elsewhere.

Also dress nice, but don't overdue it. Dress for the job your about to get into. A nice polo t-shirt and kakis is perfectly fine for most restaurant or retail service.

Study up and learn a trade that you need a license to practice such as but not limited to plumber, truck driver, custom pesticide applicator, etc. Just get out there and do it. Call up some colleges to see what's out there for you. Use your degree if you've got one. If not, there are lots of trade schools out there to get a person started. But find something you LIKE to do rather than something you can TOLERATE.

Good Luck

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked