When was the last time you used a VCR?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was thinking about this the other day after finding an old tape and realized I haven't used a vcr in 5 years. How about you?

Last week when I was fixing it for my mother.

I still use a VCR here at uni. My roommate's old television has one built-in.

My mum still uses it to tape Midsomer Murders. What a vile video pirate she is!

Probably a good 6 years or so. I don't watch many movies as is and when I do it's either dvd or at the theatres.

2001, 2002 at the latest was the last time I used one.

Two years ago when I transferred all our home movies to DVD as a Christmas gift to my Mom and Dad.

About 2 weeks ago because Star Wars, also I don't actually have a DVD player or a Blu Ray.

This thread would have benefitted from a poll.

And my best guess would be around 6 years since last I used a VCR.

I set mine up recently to watch AKIRA, but I didn't find the time to actually watch it. Shame, because I really wanted to try out the movie after loving the graphic novels.

Fair amount of time, at least two years. I think the only reason was to watch something that wasn't available online or on DVD, and that's fairly rare now that everything is uploaded somewhere.

A few weeks ago, when I found a couple of old VHS tapes from when I was a kid I decided to revisit them.

Gee the last time I used a VCR has to be at least a year ago. I found my old copy of TMNT and just had to pop it in. Ahh good times. :D Although recently my dad dumped a bunch of old concert/band vhs tapes on me, I'll give those a look sometime.

A what!?

Just last week, watching Enemy Mine with my sister.

it would have been to watch toy story 2 or somthing..or a bugs..since we have them on video

About three months ago would be my guess. It would have been much more recent, but I'm just now getting my system hooked back up from moving out of the dorms. I think I might watch Ghost in the Shell on my VCR tomorrow.

As for why I still use it, well, I bought that copy of GitS in a thrift shop for a quarter. That's $0.25.

smearyllama:
I set mine up recently to watch AKIRA, but I didn't find the time to actually watch it. Shame, because I really wanted to try out the movie after loving the graphic novels.

Ooh, VHS Akira, I'm jealous. That means it has the Streamline dub, which is impossible to get on DVD outside of Australia, of all places. Ordinarily I wouldn't comment on (or even particularly want to watch) a dub, but Streamline did a really good job with that one. The Pioneer dub (which is what you find everywhere now) is more of a standard early 2000's dub; not good, not bad, just clearly dubbed with standard anime voices.

i picked up a brand new one just a little while ago.

i still occasionally throw in a tape if im in the mood for a movie.

i still have a full book shelf unit of tapes.

I don't even remember. Several years, at least.

Oh man... I don't even know if I own one anymore lol

Haven't even SEEN one since I was 12, my dad was extremely quick on the DVD uptake.

2001 ish.

I haven't used a DVD player since 2008.

I haven't used a blu-ray player since last night.

spectrenihlus:
I was thinking about this the other day after finding an old tape and realized I haven't used a vcr in 5 years. How about you?

dammit OP the nerve of you, reminding other people of how old they are.... i suppose its been at least ten years... sigh this reminds of the time i saw a little girl and her mother shopping at a pawn shop. the igrl spotted the cassettes and asked "what are those boxes for?"

Not had a VCR in my house since around 2004, stopped using them a couple of years before that. I swapped over to DVD and HDD TV recorders. My DVD and Blu-ray players have sat idle for a good amount of time to because I have been using on demand cable services and more recently Netflix.

Between the two I get to see anything that would come via disk so I stopped buying/renting disks about 18 months ago.

About a month ago, I helped my siblings get the old VCR working so we could watch Back to the Future. (Good movie, btw)

Used one a couple of weeks back, I found my old 'Blues Brothers' tape and just had to root around in the attic for the VCR to watch it. That movie was my childhood :)

I can't even remember the last time I used a VCR.

I used a vcr, yesterday. I was at home and it was requested of me to tape a shoe for my mother.

I think it was in the summer of 2005 before I went to Universirty. I was watching Forrest Gump.

1873. Of course, back then we called them Picture Jiffers.

I threw my VCR out around... Six years ago, so probably a few years before that. I never really built up a VHS collection, only when DVD came out did I start a video library.

A few months ago, when the cable went out in our house for like a week or two. Watched it with a combination of monty python and cheap laugh dvds....and green lantern ( I was desparate!!!) Mostly it was my girlfriends collection with things like matilda and the addams family movie...oh and mouse hunt!

spectrenihlus:

Hmmm Probably 10 years to be honest. I dont remember exactly when I moved from buying Anime on VHS and to DVD but it was in the early 2000s.

It was 2002/2003, I think.

I remember years ago, having to record my mother's soaps onto VHS for her whilst she was at the pub with my dad. Had to take out the breaks and everything. I was livin' the dream.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here