Expand my knowledge of foreign slang words.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite slang word? I'm interested in what people use in countries overseas. I'm from Australia and we have such vernacular delights as:

Bogan: Pretty much what Americans call a redneck.
Durrie: Cigarettes.
Biddy/Bid: A hot girl (See: Username)
Grouse: Meaning great or excellent.
Goon: Cheap cask wine (Pretty sure we are not the only ones who use this though)
Boonga: Racist term for indigenous Australians.
Gumby: Someone who is awkward, either socially or physically.
Mong: See: Gumby
Bog: Poo.

We are such a classy nation.

Bog means poo? I was under the impression it meant toilet in the UK, not heard it used as slang otherwise.

Oh, I'd say that bogan is a bit more complicated to that, there's a certain amount of self-delusion involved. You have to be convinced you are a hard working, classy, respectable and thoughtful member of society while doing your best to actually avoid being any of those.

I wish we would bring "drongo" back, that being used for useless people, after a racehorse that never won anything.

Mong is short for Mongaloid, though, hardly just Australian.

I'm from Ireland, and we have quite a few I'm sure, the problem is that I'm a grammar Nazi, so I wouldn't use them. I can give you one or two off the top of my head that are common enough here:

Raging : annoyed (not in the gaming sense of 'rage quitting')
Sickened : annoyed (again)
Bog : In Ireland, as the person above said, this means 'toilet'
John : Also 'toilet' :P
Minging : Ugly

Well, I really love a Dutch slang word for mobile phone: lulijzer.

The background of the word is extremely hard to translate into English because it's drawn up of two metaphors that are exclusively Dutch. But it's composed of lul, from the slang verb lullen, meaning talking, and often talking nonsense. And ijzer, meaning iron, which is a word used in combination with contraptions, which finds its origin in clothes iron.

So the most accurate translation would be to compose something similar, like taking the slang 'talking shit' and the same clothes iron metaphor and translate it as a 'shit iron'.

Another verb is 'batsen', meaning either having sex, or beating someone up.

It may be found elsewhere, but 'Jesus nikes' is a term for sandals.

Pretty obscure to the outsider would be the term 'klinkers', translation pavement stones, but meaning xtc pills.

Utrecht is sometimes referred to as U-town or Utka.

A walt disney is someone who can't hold an erection for long enough.

Planking, or in Dutch planken, doesn't refer to taking silly pictures of oneself, but to acclerate a car, or get away from something, comparable to the English term 'pedal to the metal'.

To flame, or vlammen in Dutch, means both to rob people and drink alcohol rapidly.

If someone's off the map, it means they're very drunk.

A jostie, refering to the Jostiband, a band/orchestra consisting of mentally handicapped people, refers to someone who is an idiot, or did something stupid.

thaluikhain:

In the UK, 'mong' is yet another word for 'idiot' or 'dickhead'.

Find it odd that US 'pissed' = annoyed, while UK 'pissed' = drunk... ah well...

Anyway, since I'm from middle-England, my mind is drawing an almost complete blank at local colloquialisms...

An African girl in my catering class told us that "taco" (not sure if that's how it's spelled, but that's how it was pronounced) meant "butt" where she came from. My friend laughed and said, "That's funny, because here it means vagina."

[EDIT]

To contribute some more.

Pinkie-Pie-Party:
I'm from Ireland, and we have quite a few I'm sure, the problem is that I'm a grammar Nazi, so I wouldn't use them. I can give you one or two off the top of my head that are common enough here:

You forgot gaff for house. That's gotta be the most common.
Also craic sort of means fun. You might say "it's great craic" for instance.

irish cus words include:
geebag-asshole(gee is slang for vagina)

gobshite-idiot

ejit-see above

bollocks-exclaimatory(means balls)

feck-milder version of fuck means the same but more socially acceptable to say

CruisingForBiddies:

Thats a tad ironic, as in the UK Biddy means old woman.

100 Irish slang words.

Got this from a website, i did't even think that these were considered slang.

SckizoBoy:

thaluikhain:

In the UK, 'mong' is yet another word for 'idiot' or 'dickhead'.

IIRC, that's because people thought that Mongoloid features looked similar to a person with Down's Syndrome.

'Laowai' (pronounced loud but -d and why) is racist Chinese slang for somebody not from China, it is derived from 'waiguoren' which means 'person from somewhere else'.

I got a lot of both of those while living in China.

Somebody in China says 'laowai' to you then flip them off, they aren't being nice.

Amethyst Wind:
'Laowai' (pronounced loud but -d and why) is racist Chinese slang for somebody not from China, it is derived from 'waiguoren' which means 'person from somewhere else'.

Somebody in China says 'laowai' to you then flip them off, they aren't being nice.

I got called that all the way through Shanghai in Deus Ex: Human Revolution :P

Hm, English slang...

'Hench' means muscular, well built.
'Bint' is a derogatory term towards women. We have a lot of those.

Perkele = Finnish for "goddamnit", also the name of their ancient thundergod

Slag. Not slag as an insult but rather as a replacement of shit and other similar words. Been watching Beast Wars too much.

edit-> UTF-8 chars in this post!
In japanese there are different words for female and male masturbation http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1F I haven't ever encountered these words in my experiance with ja. But looking at the dictionary codes im guessing these are slang, so that, interestingly, in the every-day usage of the word "masturbate" there is a lexical distinction through gender use. Although gendered speech is deeply entrenched in ja (just like other natural langauges) so I can't say im surprised here.

• Male masturbation = せんずり "senzuri"
  • Female masturbation = マンズリ "manzuri"

Here's the broad IPA for those words if you know how to read IPA (done using this awesome tool by the way http://weston.ruter.net/projects/ipa-chart/view/keyboard/)
  • "senzuri" = senzɯɾi
  • "manzuri" = manzɯɾi

I'm guessing that the other entry in that dictionary 悪癖 (broadIPA = akɯheki)is the gender neutral term, prolly not used in formal contexts since its tagged as <euph>

5-0:

Amethyst Wind:

I got called that all the way through Shanghai in Deus Ex: Human Revolution :P

Ironically enough that's probably the least likely place in China to hear that. Shanghai is very foreign-friendly.

Edible Avatar:

411: April 11th of any year. The day pot smokers celebrate and smoke marijuana

Isn't it 420 not 411? Always thought 411 was for info.

Amethyst Wind:

Ironically enough that's probably the least likely place in China to hear that. Shanghai is very foreign-friendly.

Yeah but you're mainly hearing that from body snatchers so I doubt they care about Shanghai's foreign relations :P

Only slang I know is Tart which is usually for a stupid person, usually used in reference for women though.

necromanzer52:

Pinkie-Pie-Party:

You forgot gaff for house. That's gotta be the most common.
Also craic sort of means fun. You might say "it's great craic" for instance.

Haha, yea, I know the words now that you say them, just wasn't in the mood for thinking earlier, and as I said I wouldn't use them often. Though you make a good point, both of those would be extremely common, especially craic.

Hmm, Swedish slang...

pitt = dick (making the fact that the Escapist once had both a Pitts and a Butts on staff HILARIOUS to me. Yes, I'm twelve >_>)

guss/guzz - chick, girl (the only "ghetto" slang I know)

knulla - fuck (the verb)

typ - kind of, sort of

asså - like, you know (from the word "alltså" that means "so"/"therefore")

... Yeah, I'm struggling >_< I'm out!

Pinkie-Pie-Party:

Minging means ugly? So ive been callin people Ugly-bags for quite some time then... Huh, the more you know. "Mingebag" is probably my most favorite taunt on the net, mostly because it just sounds funny.

OT:

Some Swe slangs.

Fitta - Cunt
Knulla/Pippa - Fucking
Knullgummi - Vulgar word for Condom
Plåsterkåk(Band-aid House) - Hospital
Bängen - Cops

its not slang but i'll give you a Scots word that's so good they even use it on the BBC Scotlands weather (where usually its all standard English):

Dreich

comes from Gaelic meaning 'drawn out' which in turn comes from Old Norse drjūgr meaning 'lasting'

in modern usage (in relation to weather) it means a certain type of dull, grey, heavily overcast type of weather with possible constant drizzle lasting a long time (like all day) so for example they might say on that weather report (where the rest is standard English) ; "unfortunately the weather will be dreich for most of today and tomorrow..."

Sleekit:
Dreich
comes from Gaelic meaning 'drawn out' which in turn comes from Old Norse drjūgr meaning 'lasting'

Probably not, because 'dreggen', is a Dutch verb, meaning to dredge.

A drecht which sounds almost the same is a term for a place in a river one can wade through and gives it's name to many cities, including a few whose geography was shaped was by digging up peat from below the groundwater level, which was also called dredging. Loosdrecht for instance.

The term emerged around 700-800, so it seems the ancestry is not old Norse, but earlier in the Germanic languages.

A few Swedish slang words.

Aina - cops
Knulla - fucking
typ - "sort of", "more or less", all those kinds of words. It's hard to explain.
Nasse - Nazi or pig. Incidentally, piglet in whinnie the pooh, is called nasse.
kisse - kitty
vovve - dog
tuben - the subway
polle - horse

Here is how scousers do it!

Things like scran (which means food) is used but "swing the lead" is never used, at least not that I have heard.

EDIT: if you really want to confuse people learn cockney rhyming slang, it really fucks with you! For example "Tom tit" = shit, "boat race" = face, "plates of meat" = feet, "cream crackerd" = knackerd AKA tired.

Heimir:
Minging means ugly? So ive been callin people Ugly-bags for quite some time then... Huh, the more you know. "Mingebag" is probably my most favorite taunt on the net, mostly because it just sounds funny.

Minging is pronounced like Ming the merciless, mingebag is pronounced minge like the start of giraffe.

Amethyst Wind:

Depends where you are in China. 'cos they don't say that in Guangdong or Fujian. Don't ask how they say that in Min, since that language is borderline incomprehensible to me, but in GD it's mostly variations of 'gwei-loh' ('bak-gwei'/'hark-gwei'/'chah-gwei' etc. plus a whole load I don't know how to anglicise 'hoh chi goh hutt yi!' or w/e)... joy! And the advantage of speaking non-Mandarin Chinese is that no-one who isn't already (ethnically) Chinese bothers to learn it... *sigh* oh, for that edge in the competition to be racist without repercussion... /the snarky

Let's see here. In Pittsburgh...

Jagger Bush is a thorn bush.
Yinz means pretty much "You" or "You guys".
Dem Stillers is The Steelers.

There's a whole book on Pittsburgh slang you can probably find, so let's move onto...

Fag means cigarette in Europe, around the UK especially.
Then there's "Y'all" (You All) and "All Y'all" (All Of You All).
You have Cougars, meaning very sexually-active adult women.
You have Buck meaning deer and Buck meaning dollars.

Heimir:

Not the same thing, Minge = vagina and is said "minj".

EDIT: Although that said, "mingebag" might be something different still, I'm sure I remember an old kids program from BBC Scotland in the mid 80's called supergran, and the bad guy (Scunner Campbell IIRC) used to refer to the titular character as a mingebag quite a bit so unless the producers really didn't have a clue or the meaning has changed it might mean something different.

Norwegian:
Luremus: A woman who is a tease. It's constructed from two words:
Lure: Duping, conning, scamming.
and Mus: (lit. Mouse) a slang word for vagina.

The other day I discovered the word 'Bakku-Shan' which means 'Hot from behind, ugly from the front'
(or you could just use that phrase from scrubs that I can't remember)

Also Mong/Mongaliod means really ugly person, similar to 'minger'. The people who keep having ago at Ricky Gervais cos they think it means spastic are wrong.

Apparently the Spanish have the word 'Mordo' which means 'She is not that hot but there is something about her that means I would bang her anyway'

CruisingForBiddies:

Lol, here that would mean your cruising for old people.

As a Bostonian (for those that may not understand, that means I'm from around the area of Boston, Massachusetts) all I can contribute is "wicked".

It means "very".

It's the one facet of Bostonian speech I'm guilty of. I make a point of pronouncing my R's.

Although I guess on a more broad scale, "pissed" in America means "angry". From what I've gathered, it means "drunk" in most other countries. I actually think that use of it is far funnier and makes slightly more sense.

Qitz:

Edible Avatar:

Isn't it 420 not 411? Always thought 411 was for info.

Edible Avatar:

Yep that's 420

SckizoBoy:

Find it odd that US 'pissed' = annoyed, while UK 'pissed' = drunk... ah well...

It can mean drunk here too, it depends on the context.

Other things that mean drunk here
Shit-faced
Blasted
Blitzed
Bombed
Clobbered
Hammered
Ripped
Sauced
Loaded
Smashed
Toasted
Wasted

Double Post

ZeroMachine:
I make a point of pronouncing my R's.

As someone born in Beverly, and raised in both Salem and Maine, I make a point of this too and my friends have a field day when I slip up

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked