Movies that make you cry

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

The Road was so disturbing and fucked up so throughout the entire movie I was tearing/in shock at the brutality, and then the ending put me over the edge.

Plenty of movies have made me cry: October Sky, Act of Valor, Toy Story 3, Saving Private Ryan..... I'm sure there is definitely more than I can remember.

October Sky always brings a tear to my eye though.

Well how about almost crying at the theatre. War Horse gets incredibly emotional, had to conceal my tears because I was on a school trip plus crying in public in general is embarrassing.

Edit: 'The Plague Dogs' was extremely depressing. Even though it left on a cliff hanger it still leaves that gut renching feeling that you know they are doomed.

God Damn, Mother-fucking, cunting, punting, Click with God Damn, mother-fucking, cunting, punting Adam Sandler. I went into Click for the same reason most other morons did: The commercial said Adam Sandler would travel through time using a magical remote control but no, it had to have a message and that message made me fucking cry. I'm pretty sure this is really why people dislike Sandler at this point, not because of the Popeye's commercial within Little Nicky.

The shawshank Redemption when *spoiler alert* brooks dies. Its so sad.
Also UP. Up...man the whole cinema was in tears over that one

TheBear17:
Spider Man 3, every time I see it I cant stop weeping no matter how much I try.

But wait, that movie doesn't have any particularly touching sce-...ohhh I see what you did there o.o

Me, alongside any teenager who's been raised by the series, it's always been Toy Story 3 and it's sublime ending that got me. And Up gave me a sad at the beginnings.

Let's see if we can go a month without this thread. It'll be our little challenge.

The scene in Der Untergang where Mrs. Göbbels kill her children really did make me choke up. That whole film, to be honest... It's all very weird. Hitler screaming and chewing up the scenery is hilarious when it's out of context, but when you're actually watching it properly, it's both hilarious -and- exceptionally distrubing. And Dr. Schenk... And the kid! Oh, christ...

Then, there is War Horse. It stars a horse. I knew I was going to forsake my percieved manliness the moment I began watching. Why? It stars a horse. And horses are adorable, and shouldn't have to go through hell like that because of human stupidity. I just wanted to leap through the screen with a bucketfull of carrots and sugar. Poor thing! :<

(And yes, it's a cheap shot at my heartstrings, but they were very honest with it, at least)

In the same vain, I read Robert Westall's Blitzcat when I was a kid, to the same effect. Give the poor cat a flippin' break, universe!

And of course, there is When the Wind Blows. Between this, Threads and all their horrible PSA's, I think British media have a special talent to unexpectidly traumatize you.
Mr. & Mrs. Bloggs, a lovely old retired couple on the English countryside, minding their own business, calling each other duck and making tea... When suddenly: nuclear holocaust! The lighthearted style of animation only makes it even more horrible watching them become steadily more and more ill from radiation sickness.

EDIT: Oh, and I did see the National Theater's Frankenstein. I... Wanted to walk in and give the doctor a damn good thrashing. The poor creature... What on earth did he ever do to you, Frankenstein? Take some responsibility for your creations! D:<

Just_A_Glitch:
I've cried over two movies.

50/50, because my grandmother went through cancer, so it hit me hard...

And 500 Days of Summer, because I was going through something very similar at the time.

Damn you, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Why are you so good at making me teary-eyed.

He is amazing. I didn't cry in 500 Days of Summer, but it was still brilliant!

I think the only movie I cried in was The Kite Runner, at the end. They were manly tears, but I'm pretty sure I did actually cry.

Lets see...
Already mentioned in the thread: Iron Giant, Toy Story 3, My Dog Skip (Man FUCK that movie), Marley and Me (FUCK that movie too! I swear, even the credits get me teary eyed), Grave of the Fireflies, and Million Dollar Baby

Ones not Mentioned: the Girl That Leapt Through Time, Air, Pass It On, and many more

Non-Movies That Made Me Cry:

...I cry a lot when it comes to movies and stuff... I'm not ashamed to admit it

I'm a crybaby when it comes to movies.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched Iron Giant. But I cry.
Every.
Time.

Baron_Rouge:

Just_A_Glitch:
I've cried over two movies.

50/50, because my grandmother went through cancer, so it hit me hard...

And 500 Days of Summer, because I was going through something very similar at the time.

Damn you, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Why are you so good at making me teary-eyed.

He is amazing. I didn't cry in 500 Days of Summer, but it was still brilliant!

I think the only movie I cried in was The Kite Runner, at the end. They were manly tears, but I'm pretty sure I did actually cry.

I only cried because I had just recently told somebody how I felt about them and the feeling was not mutual, so the movie kind of reminded me of that feeling. Had I seen it before that, or a longer time after it, I highly doubt I would have gotten emotional.

Red dog.

Goddamn that movie really suceeded in making me like the characters too much! I couldnt handle their tragedy.

Thats the secret, make us like the characters, watch them have fun and a good time. Then break their hearts and you will break the audiences too.

50/50 was the last time I cried at a movie. Before that, it was the ending of Precious I believe. Sounds silly, but I really felt like sympathizing with her mother after all that, no matter how much of a horrid person she was ; . ;

The Shawshank Redemption. When Brooks hangs himself. Always gets me. Also, the Lion King.

Joe Dirt...I feel so sorry for the guy.

Up. Not the beginning but near the end when he looks through the rest of the book. It's just... so beautiful. Also Toy Story 3.

Occasional viewings of Return of the Jedi during the funeral scene.

The end of the Dark Knight.

Also Captain America. Not the end because that'll forever be tarnished by my phone ringing in the movie theater and feeling awkward, but that little pep talk Erskine gives Rogers the night before is just so...

Palademon:
I watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya last night.

I think I got a little teary eyed when the older Mikuru told Kyon about how all the hassle in high school had become fond memories.

I think that may have gotten me since I'm going to university soon, and my career may lead to nothing, and it's based on my main interest that I spent all my teenage years doing because I could never think of anything else to do.

If it wasn't that it was just the whole movie. Kyon's world was just crumbling around him. So few things changed, and yet it left him with nothing.

I teared up when Kyon pulled away his sleeve and walked through the terminal. She changed the world for him, but it wasn't enough.

So far:

- The Elephant Man
- Toy Story 3
- Up
- Radio Flyer

Star Wars III. Because. It. Was. So. BAD!!!! Jokes. I was young and cried when that princess person died, whoever she was.

To this day, whenever I watch Pokemon: The first movie, I tear up when all the pokemon are fghting their clones, and cry when Ash gets turned to stone.

Actually, pretty much all pokemon movies have some heart-wrenching moment in them that atleast make me tear up.

-Up

It's the only movie I can remember that made me all watery and stuff.

Well, when I was younger Lion King made me tear up too, so I geuss that deserves mention as well.

EDIT: Just thought of one. /That/ part in I Am Legend. I'm pretty sure everyone that has seen it knows which scene I'm talking about.

The Uwe Boll movies I have seen. But that was tears of despair.

Far from Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog

Nouw:

Yus that was a great movie... it's a rare treat that we can get a smart scifi movie that can deal with emotion on such a complex level... I mean considering that Sci-Fi by it's very nature is meant to deal with metaphysical ideas and abstract themes regarding the advancement of technology and branching out of human knowledge and understanding as a collective species or society, rather than the exploration of individual human emotion and development... or something...

OT: I dunno last movie to make me cry... Muppet's Movie... don't laugh...<.<

Though the last "thing" to make me cry... not specifically movies... is the Mike Watt cover of Maggot Brain... J Mascis is a guest guitarist on this track... and it's absolutely beautiful... as usual the pure emotion and energy J throws off of those 6 strings is utterly devastating and overwhelming on damn near every level... It's as much emotionally draining as it is beautifully energetic and expressive...<.<

While not crying, Inception can get me pretty close. That may be surprising to some, but it's the son's relationship with his father and the way it's played out that really gets to me more then anything. It kinda hits close to home.

JoJo:
Ending of Grave of the Fireflies, if you've seen it nuff said, especially as I have a little sister who's about the same age gap to me as the brother and sister are in the film, though we're both a few years old than the protagonists.

GOD DAMN NINJAS

Have to admit that is the only film I have ever teared up for tried showing my mother who's the biggest cry baby I know sits through the whole thing then just gives me some line about how she couldn't care for the characters as the Japanese were the aggressors during the war. I mean honestly who cares They were like 3 and ten how aggressive could these 2 children have been. I would of been just as touched if they were German or British. oh yeah and about half an hour in she was confused about how all the Japanese characters were speaking english, needless to say I offered to switch the dvd dub over and turn on subtitles but she refused

Sacman:
OT: I dunno last movie to make me cry... Muppet's Movie... don't laugh...<.<

The original or the new one? I admit I teared up when watching the new one when they started to sing "Rainbow Connection" as its one of my favourite songs and thought it was a great cover. Also, if you really want to be depressed by the Muppets, go and search for "Saying Goodbye" from Muppets Take Manhatten.

Muspelheim:
And of course, there is When the Wind Blows. Between this, Threads and all their horrible PSA's, I think British media have a special talent to unexpectidly traumatize you.

I read the book (not sure which came first) and now I can't bring myself to watch the film as I know whats gonna happen and don't think I could cope.

JoJo:
Ending of Grave of the Fireflies, if you've seen it nuff said, especially as I have a little sister who's about the same age gap to me as the brother and sister are in the film, though we're both a few years old than the protagonists.

A friend is going out with a girl who I think he should dump so was really mean and suggested she should watch this saying its a film about a pair of kids who try and go it alone. Am I a bad person?

Personally, I admit, I'm a really easy target. No matter how cliched it may be if something is set up to tug at the heartstrings it will probably work. Aside from pretty much everything mentioned in this thread so far, I would choose Kung Fu Panda 2 for the scene where Po heads off and leaves his adoptive father standing alone in the street with a look of such sadness (especially for a DUCK!) its heartbreaking.

Ocelano:

JoJo:

GOD DAMN NINJAS

Have to admit that is the only film I have ever teared up for tried showing my mother who's the biggest cry baby I know sits through the whole thing then just gives me some line about how she couldn't care for the characters as the Japanese were the aggressors during the war. I mean honestly who cares They were like 3 and ten how aggressive could these 2 children have been. I would of been just as touched if they were German or British. oh yeah and about half an hour in she was confused about how all the Japanese characters were speaking english, needless to say I offered to switch the dvd dub over and turn on subtitles but she refused

My error I forgot the mash final movie goodbye farewell and amen that part where windchester goes and gets all attached to the band then bad stuff happens and he can no longer even find peace in his music that bit gets me occasionally and I went through a brief period when even hearing that song would make me choke up a bit

Xartyve2:
Let's see if we can go a month without this thread. It'll be our little challenge.

Can't deny I have seen it regularly pop Up I think I even posted it once just after watching grave of the fireflies

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Titanic, what with Die-a-lot-Dicaprio in it and all ...

Personally, no movies have made me cry but I have teared up more times than I can remember at Clannad + Clannad After Story ... I really love those characters :')

Plinglebob:

Muspelheim:

I read the book (not sure which came first) and now I can't bring myself to watch the film as I know whats gonna happen and don't think I could cope.

Oh, indeed... The ending really is rather merciless. I aslo think that after the credit roll, there's a morseline spelling out MAD, which is the final flippin' kicker. :<

Mr. Bloggs: "Herpaderpa we can save da wator!"
Me: "Noooooo! Don't do it for heaven's sake, you old fool!!" *Grabs the telly and shakes it furiously*

Star Trek II: the Wrath of Kahn.
When Spock died... man that was something.

...And Justice for All was also a real tearjerker for me. It's such a rich film in emotions, I love it.

The final film that reduced me to a manly tear-guy was Things to Come, 1936. The speech at the end on the importance of progress always gets to me.

Lord of the Rings, fellowship of the ring. waaay at the end. boromir is dieing. and aragorn finds him. and his final conversation where he redeems himself, and is given hope by aragorn who he then also acknowledges as a king of gondor just before he dies a heroes death.

it didn't even happen the first time, but one afternoon I was watching it with my sisters (we were all home for the weekend) and we watched that. started getting teary eyes. sister asks me what it is and I almost yell out. THIS MOMENT IS SO BEAUTIFULL. MANLY TEARS GRAAH.

but man. that scene gets me every single time

Muspelheim:

Plinglebob:

Muspelheim:

Oh, indeed... The ending really is rather merciless. I aslo think that after the credit roll, there's a morseline spelling out MAD, which is the final flippin' kicker. :<

Mr. Bloggs: "Herpaderpa we can save da wator!"
Me: "Noooooo! Don't do it for heaven's sake, you old fool!!" *Grabs the telly and shakes it furiously*

There are two things that make it even harder to watch. 1) Its by the author of the Snowman. A Raymond Briggs triple bill with Snowman, Father Christmas and this provides the biggest mood whiplash you'll ever experience. 2) Everything the couple do in the film was what was recommended by leaflets by the UK government at the time.

I can't recall a movie ever making me cry. Tears are something I associate with pain and anxiety.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked