Are we all gonna die in December?
Yes
5.2% (35)
5.2% (35)
No
94.6% (635)
94.6% (635)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you think we're all gonna die in December?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ok from my limited understanding, the Mayan calendar has already reached a thousand a few times with nothing happening on the last time it did. Ok this is the 13th time which supposedly had significance to the Mayans, possibly meaning that this is the time for the next creation to start, they belief that this had happened at least once already. That is all. I don't understand why people think this is more than a fairy tale. you can't predict the future(well you kinda can but that's just semantics)

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/3412583/Everything+I+know+was+a+lie/

i'll just leave this here, found it the other day

(not sure how many words are needed for minimum so i'll put this here as safety)

cyrogeist:
(sorry if this topic has been done to death i haven't been here lately or if this topic annoys you it's just I've been thinking about it for some reason plus i'm bored)
anyway if you don't know the Mayan Calendar ends in (i think) September 20th and that has a lot of people thinking that we're going to die on that day
Basically what i'm asking is if you think we are?

I for one think that A:the Mayan Calendar just resets B:they got wiped out before they finished it Or C: they didn't count leap years and we're actually past that date (Technically)

It's December 21st. And no. The Mayans NEVER said anything about dying. The end of their calender can best be described as an end of an era in TES lore- some great societal change.

The world won't end, but sadly there will be riots. There always are.

It happens when people get scared, when it does they pretty much lose most if not all intelligent and rational abilities.

I have no idea why people keep repeating such ignorance. They Mayan calendar DOES NOT END. It is a PERPETUAL calendar.

What ends is the current "Baktun". This is the 13th Baktun of the Calendar, each Baktun is just under 400 solar years. So think of this as "end of the century" importance on our calender.

The longest unit in the Mayan calendar is 1 Alautun. We are still in the first Alatun of the calendar. There are 320,000 Baktun's in 1 Alautun in the Myan calendar (or just over 63 million years).

So, even if you only thought there was a single Alautun in the calendar (and there is nothing to suggest such a limit), then we still have used only 0.004% of the Mayan calendar up and we still have almost 63mil years left on the calendar. If you assume 20 Alautuns in the calander (since its a base 20 scaling of measures) then the calander runs out in 1.26 BILLION years. Although even that doesn't say the world ends then.

Monkeyman O'Brien:
I am 27 and have personally lived through about a dozen "end of the world" events. So yeah, its bullshit. No more credible than any of the others. The world had more of a chance of ending by ebola or african killer bees[1] than this silly calendar bullshit.

Pretty much this.

To everyone who believes this end of the world bullshit: The only question I have is, if you don't share the Mayan religion, why the fuck do you believe in their prophecy?! You don't worship their gods, you don't believe in their other prophecies, you probably believe the apocalypse will be the christian one, why the fuck do you believe in date THEY set for THEIR end of the world prophecy?!

[1] Yes, they were both real "end of the world" scares. I wish I was joking.

Since I've been born, 30 calendars have have been thrown away. I don't believe the completion of the Mayan calendar will change anything on this planet.

However, I do believe that naked lesbian orgies on the rooftops of college campus buildings during the first full moon of summer in a pool of chocolate brings good luck.

No, I don't personally believe that it will end, but I'm still hosting an end of the world party at which when the "appointed time" hits I order everyone out of my house and get on with my life. :)

Here, these guys make debunking the apocalypse funny:

Also, I'd say they're basically correct. Sensationalize away, the world will keep on turning... just like it did through every previous apocalyptic prediction.
We've got about 4 billion years left, give or take.

The mayans were around before the leap year was invented. So yeah we should have been wiped out 7 months ago.

*pats my body* pretty sure I'm still here, unless the destruction of the world put us into a stasis dream or something.

Yeah quite certain it's rubbish

(damn someone else got this in before me, oh wells)

UrieHusky:
The mayans were around before the leap year was invented. So yeah we should have been wiped out 7 months ago.

*pats my body* pretty sure I'm still here, unless the destruction of the world put us into a stasis dream or something.

Yeah quite certain it's rubbish

(damn someone else got this in before me, oh wells)

Mayan calendar was based on astronomical observations rather than actual calendar days, and the (for want of a less pretentious sounding word) alignments they observed would place the end of the calendar on the 12th december. the leap year thing is a complete irrelevance.

Besides which, the world isn't going to end on december 12th. don't be silly.

No the Mayans never thought that the world would end in 2012 it was just the end of their calendar that they had done. Did people not think to realise that the rock only has a finite amount of space and they only had a finite amount of time?

also... the Mayan calender doesn't count 365(.25) days in base 10 the way the Gregorian calender does. They didn't need a leap year, that would be too simple a solution for 'em. Their 360-day "years" follow a very long cycle of rotating seasons.
Furthermore:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar
Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0. The date on which the calendar will go to the next piktun (a complete series of 20 b'ak'tuns), at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772.

Yes! And before we do I have to tell you... I am your father.

Can't say I believe the 4 votes that says the world is going to end.

If they actually are genuine, have these people quit their jobs to enjoy what's left of their lives? Will they be sharing their belongings/homes/money with family and friends since they will have no need for those things?

Daystar Clarion:
No.

I believe in this thing called 'science'.

You may of heard of it.

Pfft. Science is so mainstream; and when science adopted James Hutton, I almost died. I was into geology while it was still underground.

Ahem.

No, I don't think we're going to die in December, and I'm sad that the "end of the world" fear probably won't die off after December; people will just find a reason for 2018 to be the apocalypse.

Toby Kitching:

Mayan calendar was based on astronomical observations rather than actual calendar days, and the (for want of a less pretentious sounding word) alignments they observed would place the end of the calendar on the 12th december. the leap year thing is a complete irrelevance.

Besides which, the world isn't going to end on december 12th. don't be silly.

I'm not sure I understand your logic, so please correct me if I've misunderstood something here.

Yes, if we were calculating it by their calender it's irrelevant.. but because we go by the calender with the leap years we're essentially in the future in relation to the mayan calender. So the end of the world would be placed 7 months ago by our calenders regardless.

Or am I missing something here in my sleep deprived state

Of course not, we're all going to die when the Reapers inva- Er... *ahem*

Sorry about that, I pulled an all-nighter on Mass Effect 3.

I doubt it, but I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the inevitable "End of All Existence" sales that will pop up, just like they did around the Y2K fiasco.

I will make sure of it...dun, dun, DUN!!!

I'm sick of this question. To spare everyone a pointless debate...

I heard that the Mayan Calender didn't include leap days so technically if we're going by the date it ends then we should already be dead. Can't verify that but if true we already have our answer

^ well nevermind me then :P

I KNOW that YOU are going to DIE! Thats because you're not in my secret place! Everyone is going to die... and I'll be the LAST ONE LEEEFT! Don't try to find me... Or I will drag you to the darkness with me... Mhha mhha-ha ha... MHa HA HA HAAA!

Would suck to die only days from my 18th Birthday :/

cyrogeist:
and this is why i left this site. you make one little error and everyone jumps on its like no tomorrow

This is the internett, people WILL try to kill you verbally on the web, that is basically the 1st moral rule.

OT: It's the same for me if we dies or not, so meh. It WILL be pretty spectacular though if there is some global catastrophe that happens then though. *Waves flagg with a volcano on it* Yay >_>

Wait...When does the Wii-U come out? I ask because I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a lot less of people once that happens. As for everyone dying due to the ancient Mayan calender, there are aspects of timekeeping that they didn't foresee such as daylight savings time and, leap year. DST probably won't matter and leap year won't either if they were psychic time travelers. I don't think we're going to die so if we do go ahead and call me on it.

ive lived through several doomsday prophecies already, so i expect December 21st to be any different.

No, it wont happen. In most our lives we have survives 3 apocalypses. Y2k in 2000, 06/06/06, and whatever date that crazy guy said last year. Each and every time nothing happened except possibly a lot of "end of the world" parties.

I suspect something similar is going to happen this time. However, if it does happen I am going to laugh my ass off.

It better not. I'm going to be pissed if I don't get to play The Last of Us.

Redlin5:
I think we will be posting about this silliness in 2013 and laughing at the mooks who actually sold everything and hunkered down for the end.

You say that now, but when the seventh Charlie Nyx book drops, we're ALL DOOMED!

Very unlikely, but I'd probably welcome it if the final Wheel of Time book wasn't coming out in early 2013.

Didn't Einstein predict that the magnetic poles were going to switch? That seems more plausible than the end of the world, as we should have had a switching of the poles like 200,000 years ago.

If only we were so lucky.

Apparently the calender didn't account for leap years and technically should've happened like 7 months ago.

My source is also from Tumblr so don't quote me on it.

Question to everyone voting No and going out their way to disprove this:

Why are you doing that? Why are you wasting your time saying this when you could be having fun saying yes and winding people up?

I think there have been innumerable end-of-the-world prophesies in human history, and none of them have come true. I think the fact that this one gets so much more hype than the others is mostly because Emmerich decided to make a fucking movie about it. I think it's strange that the Mayans would be able to predict the end of humanity, but they wouldn't be able to predict their own demise by the Spanish. I think it's strange that the Mayans would leave something as important as THE END OF THE WORLD out of all of their texts, etc, so that the only hint we have about it is a subtle end-of-the-calendar. I think they honestly had to have ended their calendar somewhere, and this December was as good a time as any. I think there's no physical reason for anyone to die, I mean I think it's supposed to be an alignment of things, but there's no reason for that to cause any sort of catastrophe here ... and Emmerich's "the neutrinos have mutated" is just about the stupidest thing I've heard in my life.

Hey guys, on December 31st the Gregorian Calender is going to end. That must be a sign of the apocalypse. Now somebody fund my movie about it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here