Lies and Excuses on the Internet

Pages 1 2 NEXT

We've all been in arguments online where eventually someone tries to get out of it without admitting they were wrong or ends up contradicting themselves. I'm sure most of us have done it ourselves. Some try a really flimsy excuse, such as the many variations of the ever popular 'I haven't slept for days, I'm tired', and others go for the all out bare-faced lie, 'All of my friends are black, therefore I'm not a racist and you can't tell me otherwise.'

I'm also sure, given the oppotunity of anonymity of the web that many of my fellow Escapists have come across people who just generally make shit up about their own lives. Be it the extremely personal details or every aspect of their lives.

What are the most blatant or ridiculous excuses and lies you've been given in an online argument/debate/discussion?

Some guy was being racist about black guys, then claimed he was black so it was okay... no way to prove or disprove either way ahh anonimity the things it lets people do and say.

Some guy that didnt like that black people was going out with white woman, but according to him he is not a racist since that will decrease the chance of him getting a girlfriend but he had no problem with white male going out with a white woman

Well like Dr.House says ,everybody lies . It's is amplified on the internet due to being anonymous . Sometimes i do wish the internet was not anonymous so i could know who to punch , but that would more than likely to backfire on me .

I love all the bullshit, made up propaganda global warming deniers always bring up on the internet and give absolutely no citation or source for their information. Or better yet when they do and it turns out to come from Fox or The Daily Mail.

I think two very popular excuses used in games are
"ugh lag!"
and
"I was typing!"

"My mom's here so I gotta go but I'm still right kthnxbai."

The time's I've seen people flee discussions saying stuff like "But you can't judge a religion by facts" or "But it's a belief!" after just seeing some factual claim they made from their religion completely fall apart... So many.

Here for instance Fallen opened a topic about how abortion was teh evil, and when people busted his stupid myth that people supposedly have abortions just for fun, it became quiet. It became even more quiet when I sketched out some consequences of his opinion and asked him if he endorsed that. Didn't stop him though, as he just evaded it and began repeating already lost arguments later on.
Stupid of course. If you want something, at least be man enough to admit you want it.

Godwin's Law. That is all.

But I think I should write a little bit more, don't want to get in trouble for getting my point across with only 5 words. There you go.

The immortal "I was just trolling".

Nothing can be more low than snaking your way out of defending yourself by saying "umadbro?"

ignoring your point and instead finding a tiny typing mistake and claiming you are retarded because you made a typing mistake therefore he is correct.

Keoul:
"ugh lag!"

Kind of makes you feel sorry for the people whose claims are genuine. No one is ever going to believe them.

Colour-Scientist:
Kind of makes you feel sorry for the people whose claims are genuine. No one is ever going to believe them.

It's not that bad if you just play with friends. The friend I play Saint's Row with knows I tend to lag like mad at times, especially when we're driving around, and he's usually cool with me doing nothing or accidentally hitting our allies because of teleporting, disappearing, and lagging cars.

Back when I still played wow, people always had a lot of excuses for bad play. From the "I'm tired and haven't slept in days" to "I'm eating right now" to "cat jumped on the keyboard". Pretty much all of them were either a lie, or true and still stupid. You're really tired? Then why the heck are you still playing? Go to bed, dammit.

For me? I was playing Traitor in Terrorist Town in Garry's Mod, first time for both, when a guy on mic decided to call me, specifically, a faggot. Me being a guy that likes fucking with people for their own good, state that I am gay. The guy then goes ape shit and starts cussing me out, saying god will smite me for my sins, and when accused of discriminating, he claims he is purifying the internet free of homosexuality.

Needless to say, he was gagged and after continuing his homophobic remarks in the chat, banned from the server.

I have known myself to carry on an argument even if I've changed my opinion somewhat since it began.

I know the sense of satisfaction I get when I crush someone else's argument or make them look like a twat, so the idea of letting them have that (even if they're not the one's to change my opinion) does not sit well with me.

As for other people, (since most arguments on the internet pertain to religion) I've noticed most rely on logical fallacies ('absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' - shut up) or tries to make a swift exit with "well that's just what I believe".

Most everything typed in to the internet by anyone at all about their "Opinion"

Colour-Scientist:

Keoul:
"ugh lag!"

Tell me about it.

I have an 80kb/s connection.

:'(

I direct you to the last two Jimquisition threads for some epic bullshit.

In the realm of gaming I have several friends who when they cannot get a kill will blame lag, an invisible lag that no one else encountered.

I'm not saying I won't employ some of these at some point. I have done so and more than likely will again. When you're on a losing streak you want to slightly alleviate the experience of getting your arse continuously handed to you by displacing blame onto external factors.

What really starts the problem is when you are using these excuses all the time because you actually believe what you're saying.

Captcha is: make my day > okay, honey I'm pregnant!

Testing, trying to make a post but it keeps saying captcha error when there is no captcha

There are no lies on the internet. Anonymity is a myth.

Big Brother is watching you.

One I have run into countless times "You can't contradict me, I have freedom of speech"

Strazdas:
ignoring your point and instead finding a tiny typing mistake and claiming you are retarded because you made a typing mistake therefore he is correct.

The Chewbacca defence.
Gotta love it.

Some dickbag being all "Oh this community isn't sexist and if you think it is then you should get out" or something similar with moany bitching about stuff that is usually irrelevant/anecdotal/probably bullshit.
Unfortunately we get too many of those threads, ladies be here too, people.

Or people who you can see realising they are wrong but grasping at straws anyway.

Also, wall-of-text bitching you out for a small, usually sarcastic comment.
I tend to switch off.

Rikkano:
One I have run into countless times "You can't contradict me, I have freedom of speech"

Or, "I'm entitled to my own opinion, you can't change that."
SO WHY ARE YOU DEBATING IT?!?!

Youtube comment section...
just sayin'

Got trolled by a dude there, tried to put in some valid arguments... I stopped after his second comment.

Tirunus:

This so much. I can't fucking stand people who use this.

Acting like a shithead and then claiming you were "just trolling" doesn't make you less of a shithead.

Midgeamoo:

Or, "I'm entitled to my own opinion, you can't change that."
SO WHY ARE YOU DEBATING IT?!?!

This too. I can't stand people who try to disagree with you on the basis that "that's just your opinion!" Or defend their own opinion on the same grounds. Even if it's just an opinion, there should be some reason why you hold it and you should be able to defend it.

Keoul:
I thinkvery popular excuses
"ugh lag!"

But if I really do have lag?
Because you know.. wireless isn't perfect ;)

dobahci:

Tirunus:

This so much. I can't fucking stand people who use this.

Acting like a shithead and then claiming you were "just trolling" doesn't make you less of a shithead.

Agreed. Besides, everyone knows that true trolls never admit to trolling.

Also, people who rave for multiple posts on forums and try to excuse themselves when backed in a corner with "It's, like, just my opinion man." Still, nowhere near as annoying as those forced inserts from the Bronie Brigade...

Had to cover for a friends childish Ragequit earlier.

In truth, he was in the wrong, but friendship is the greater power.

I get more fustrated when people take something you say completely out of context... they will take a sentence in the middle of an arguement, ignore the ones that explain what you mean, and then use that to ridicule you...

I once wrote an account of what it is like for a young lad joining the infantry.. how they go from being a regular kid to a trained killer in such a short space of time, and in that I mentioned how it feels as the soldier... how you don't realise the change, you don't feel it, but all those around you can see it! I used a line something along the line of 'and without realising it you are suddenly a trained killer with a lot expected of you'...

Someone quoted the 'without realising it' without any of the rest of the context and tried to ridicule me for saying that why would they join the army if they didn't realise they were becoming soldiers? THAT'S NOT WHAT I FUCKING SAID!!! >:/ They then proceded to argue with me over it, and failed to acknowlege that they had taken it out of context...! :/

Un-bloody-believable!

Here's how most of my web debates go down.

le me: *makes a ton of points*
le them: *only quotes the points they can refute, completely ignores the points which are correct*
le me: *makes a ton more points and points out that the points they made against my points aren't correct points*
le them: *ignores my points and pretends that i said something that i didn't*
le me: *points out that they're coming out with garble*
le them: *garbles more*
le me scenario 1: *gives up on their garble*
le me scenario 2: *points out everything that is wrong with what they're saying*
le them after scenario 2: *goes silent after realizing how i'm correct*

or it's just

le me: *makes point*
le them: *refutes point*
le me: 'oh i see your point'

So in all, they basically just dodge every single point i make that's correct.

Irridium:

Colour-Scientist:

Keoul:
"ugh lag!"

Tell me about it.

I have an 80kb/s connection.

:'(

30kb/s, it will speed up at the early hours of the morning to about 90 kb/s.....

Constant lag spikes (Atleast once every minute or two)...

So yes I dislike it when people use the lag excuse when it's not genuine.

I only say I am tired when I actually am tired but I get back to the debate the next day. When it comes to games I hate the 'I wasn't even trying' excuse, well why the heck where you raging when I bested you in every combat encounter.

Strazdas:

yea some people try to pull this on me, but I am dyslexic, after I point out I am dyslexic most of the just seem to go away. I remember one guy though who wrote about how easy it is to use proper spelling and grammar, after I told him I was dyslexic, he even just called me stupid. After that he was quoted like hell by people telling him what a dick he was and his post quickly received a warning.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked