Whovians: What would you say to a female Doctor?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sorry, another Doctor Who thread from me, but I don't have too many friends who also know Doctor Who so my questions need some place to go.

So my question is what would you all think of a female doctor? I've seen speculative threads on who the next doctor could be before, and the general consensus is many would like to see a doctor of another race.

But a female doctor...that would change the dynamic of the show quite a bit. The next logical step would be a male companion, and the possibility of a love interest would have to be addressed (I think presumably, if they did this, they would kill off River Song first). And then, depending on where they go, gender would be a bit of an issue. Most of Earth's past is fraught with gender rights gaps, and in those cases females just don't get the authority males do. So they'd either have to battle with it constantly, turning nearly every episode into a battle for female equality, or find little ways of quickly resolving it so they can get on with the main storyline.

I'm a lady myself, and I'm not even sure how I feel about this. I don't think I'd have a problem with a female doctor, as long as they do it right and keep the spirit of the show intact without getting too preachy along the way. But then again, there's so much baggage and necessary issues to address that would come with it I'm not so sure I'd want them to have to do so much tiptoeing and backpedalling just to maintain the status quo. But what do you all think? Do you think a female doctor would be well received, and what do you think they'd have to do to make sure it's done "right?"

What's up Doc?

Seriously though, its possible for the gender line to be crossed, but they "tend" to stay within their birth birth gender.

The (male) doctor has had multiple male companions BTW, and most of his companions (male, female, robot, alien) didn't give any indications as being potential romantic interests. I think Rose has made people think that's how it was supposed to be, but not really.

I agree that travel into the Earth's past as a woman would be problematic, and The Doctor does like earth. I could see it going into repeated boring "gender equality" storelines until it got boring.

Now not all the doctors have been as earth bound. If there was a doctor who did a lot more future and otherworld travel, female wouldn't create that problem. I think it would also be imporant to make that character FEEL like the doctor and not just use the name. For example in BSG the "new Starbuck" felt just like the old one from day one. Gambler, drunk, sex crazed, trouble maker, it was still "him" even though it was "her". They also didn't make any big deal of "him" being a "her", which is good.

I dunno, its possible to do it right, but might be safer to stay male.

Of course I'd take any gender to replace the current guy

Killing off River Song? I'm all for a female doctor just for that!
I guess I wouldn't mind a female doctor. I'm not sure if regenerating into a different gender is part of Timelord biology but I'm not gonna be arsed to read into it. Really all they need to do is keep the show as what is and what it should be and just make a female lead as the Doctor without making too much of a fuss about it (as Yahtzee said about Samus "She's a lady, just deal with it yo.")

(No Doctor-romance subplots though, they annoy me to no end!).

Offhand, I'd consider it a borderline retcon at this point, given that the Doctor's already been through 11 forms, none of them female (and more tellingly, the fact that - to the best of my knowledge - there has yet to be anything indicating such a thing would be possible), though that could be explained away via low probability. That said, the implications could be interesting and I would be curious as to how the writers would treat it. Might be worth it just to further define the relation between a Timelord's regenerated personality and his/her previous ones and how much baggage is truly carried from one to the other. Put simply, I'd probably give it a look just to see how the producers handled it, but I'd still be going in with a heavy dose of skepticism

Asita:
Offhand, I'd consider it a borderline retcon at this point, given that the Doctor's already been through 11 forms, none of them female (and more tellingly, the fact that - to the best of my knowledge - there has yet to be anything indicating such a thing would be possible),

The Doctor referred to another Time Lord (The Corsair) who had changed genders, its possible.
I say Yay to a female Doctor, it could bring a new perspective.
I dont see any reason for the Doctor to stay male, every new actor has brought something new to the character, not cause of their gender.

Phasmal:

Asita:
Offhand, I'd consider it a borderline retcon at this point, given that the Doctor's already been through 11 forms, none of them female (and more tellingly, the fact that - to the best of my knowledge - there has yet to be anything indicating such a thing would be possible),

The Doctor referred to another Time Lord (The Corsair) who had changed genders, its possible.
I say Yay to a female Doctor, it could bring a new perspective.
I dont see any reason for the Doctor to stay male, every new actor has brought something new to the character, not cause of their gender.

He did? *checks wiki*...huh. I stand corrected then.

"Do you miss having a penis?"

Do time lords even have genitals? *shrug*

Do you plan on having babies with The Master?

As long as the Doctor wasn't having romantic subplots every ten minutes, I'd be fine with it. For the most part though, I'm neutral. If there was a female Doctor, I'd want it to be because the actor was really good rather than it being a "Hey, let's make the Doctor a chick" kind of moment. Same goes for black Doctors, asian Doctors, gay Doctors, hermaphrodite Doctors, robot Doctors, shark Doctors, and so on.

There is, of course, one exception.

He/she/it may not be American.

Also, Captcha: "Don't tase me."

Umm . . . I wasn't going to?

EDIT: Actually, on second thoughts, let me amend the bolded section to the rather more restricting "He/she/it must stay British."

Well, not technically, but you get the point.

MammothBlade:

Do you plan on having babies with The Master?

Would be weird if she would regen into a male doctor during pregnancy.
I wouldn't mind as long as it isn't done to be political correct. Also agree with another poster that at least the new doctor should be british

Another thing they should do if they make the decision to make the Doctor female.
Keep him/her the same, generally.
Dont make her a stereotype that all of a sudden likes pink and gets all eyelid-fluttery.
Not that I'm saying dont give her female traits, but handle them properly.

If the doctor turns female, it will be like this.

I do like the idea of having a female doctor but she better be a British actor and remember that the doctor is still the same person.

Kendarik:

Eh, Smith's not THAT bad when it comes to bringing a new caricature to the Doc. I mean sure, he's the weakest of the modern three, but he still manages to get the job done.

OT: I'm in favor of it, but they'd at least have to find someone who acts a lot like Tennant for my tastes. Call me stubborn, but I just can't adjust very well to Smith (I've only seen The Eleventh Hour so far) after 3 seasons of Tennant. Hell, even a more cynical Doctor like Eccleston would suit my tastes, but Tennant's run was a golden age of the series, and I'd love for that trend to continue.

Also, make her like Earth's cuisine again, BBC. The video below is a bit ridiculous. But I kind of want to try fish fingers and custard now...

TLS14:

Kendarik:

Eh, Smith's not THAT bad when it comes to bringing a new caricature to the Doc. I mean sure, he's the weakest of the modern three, but he still manages to get the job done.

OT: I'm in favor of it, but they'd at least have to find someone who acts a lot like Tennant for my tastes. Call me stubborn, but I just can't adjust very well to Smith (I've only seen The Eleventh Hour so far) after 3 seasons of Tennant. Hell, even a more cynical Doctor like Eccleston would suit my tastes, but Tennant's run was a golden age of the series, and I'd love for that trend to continue.

Also, make her like Earth's cuisine again, BBC. The video below is a bit ridiculous. But I kind of want to try fish fingers and custard now...

He certainly has his good moments. It might not even be him actually, his acting style has grown on me, I think its just that he's had some pretty horrible writing/storylines that don't help me love him.

For the last two doctors I eagerly awaited each episode. For this guy, I've found sometimes 2 or 3 stock up on the PVR before I get around to watching.

Kendarik:

TLS14:
snip

He certainly has his good moments. It might not even be him actually, his acting style has grown on me, I think its just that he's had some pretty horrible writing/storylines that don't help me love him.

For the last two doctors I eagerly awaited each episode. For this guy, I've found sometimes 2 or 3 stock up on the PVR before I get around to watching.

That might have something to do with Steven Moffat taking over as head writer as of The Eleventh Hour. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Moffat's stories (because they typically involve varying amounts of Nightmare Fuel), but Smith's style certainly makes up for the lackluster story direction in my case.

TLS14:

OT: I'm in favor of it, but they'd at least have to find someone who acts a lot like Tennant for my tastes.

In my opinion finding someone who just acts like a previous incarnation would be a bad thing. It would just be trying to imitate what a lot of people think/believe is the best doctor since the reboot. Imitation will most always lead to being weaker. Nobody will act precisely the same as Tennant.

Must admit my opinion is a bit skewered since i really like how Matt Smith plays the doctor(massively dislike the cop-out season endings that is a writing problem not his). I believe the scripts for Smith's doctor who eps are massively weaker then the scripts from the Tennant era but that doesn't change the fact i like Smith more.

D Moness:

TLS14:

OT: I'm in favor of it, but they'd at least have to find someone who acts a lot like Tennant for my tastes.

In my opinion finding someone who just acts like a previous incarnation would be a bad thing. It would just be trying to imitate what a lot of people think/believe is the best doctor since the reboot. Imitation will most always lead to being weaker. Nobody will act precisely the same as Tennant.

I never said that I wanted the next incarnation to act precisely the same, I'm just saying that Tennant was a fan favorite (as well as my personal favorite), and that many would prefer a Doctor that had his sort of attitude. I can see where you're coming from with the whole "imitation leads to weakness" thing, though. This flaw definitely shows in other media, and that makes me think that Who would be no different.

sure, I'd love that.

Not meaning to sound sexist (and I apologise in advance if anyone is offended) but I don't think that a female Doctor could work in the same way as a male one could. The Doctor has generally been a "wild card" of sorts; he thrives on danger while not actively seeking it out. The female characters and companions have been a counterbalance to his behaviour by being very down-to-earth and establishing an emotional connection in the show. I just can't see a female Doctor still having that borderline insane attitude with a male counterbalance (because then they might as well do a River Song spin-off seeing as that's pretty much how she would act) or a down-to-earth Doctor because that would change the character's entire personality.

Sure, could work out very nicely! New perspective, new dynamics with his companions and the places he visits, it could be very interesting. Or it could fail miserably, there's always that. I'm not against it though.

Only if the tardis is a magic kitchen.

Otherwise, no.

Hmm maybe, let me read the OP again

Lilani:
(I think presumably, if they did this, they would kill off River Song first).

FUND IT

EDIT:

Lilani:
Sorry, another Doctor Who thread from me

Don't apologize for starting Doctor Who threads, Dr Who is brilliant, and certainly more interesting than the endless Bioware marketing Vs The first Reddit exaggeration army threads that are clogging up the forums.

I reckon that'd be pretty damn interesting really.
I mean, it's just be nice to get an actress who could do something different with the character. As far as I've seen, Chris Eccelston and David Tennant's Doctors were somewhat different, but Matt Smith I have always felt just hasn't really filled those shoes and has sort of hung off the residual charisma left over by Tennant.
That's not saying Smith doesn't have a Doctor of his own. He does, it's just that is feels kind of one-off and almost like he's trying to copy Tennant is a way.

I think overall we just need a new, better actor to play the Doctor (not to mention some less fucking fanboyish scripts). If that actor ends up being a woman, so be it, it can only be good for the series.

um, it would be interesting, but there's only one or two regenerations left according to Who lore and I don't think the BBC would take a risk so close to the end of the Doctors lifespan by introducing a element that would alienate most of child viewers, the male ones that is

I am not trying to sound sexist, but to me it should stay male, it always has been male and to me it should stay male, but I am not opposed to the fact that they should get another main character that is female, one that doesn't depend on the doctor and instead can fight her own battles for her own interests, instead of river's "I am doing it because I love you" shit.

I wouldn't mind if they made the Doctor a female. I do have one main question though...

Matt smith is the 11th Doctor and Time Lords can only regenerate 13 times, right? So what happens after they decide to kill on whoever played the 13th Doctor? I realise there have been times in the series where it's been mentioned and even shown how one can avoid the inevitable... hell, The Master has done it at least one time... Do you think they'd continue it after the 13th or would they let the series die off with dignity (much like how they gave DT a major send-off in "The End of Time")?

They should make her a female teen, hell I mean the show did try to reboot it for a younger audience why not just go all the way?

They could cast Kristen Stewart as the doctor and make it so that the doctor has to go through highschool and she picks up two companions who end up falling for her and she is stuck in a love triangle. One is a broody emo teen played by Robert Pattinson, and the other an athletic/spiritual native american played by Taylor Lautner.
And they can have this big drama where the Doctor can't choose between the two, and there is a big problem that if they were to get in a relationship a Timelord having a child with a human would be catastrophic and it might kill the doctor. She ends up falling for the broody emo and they have a kid, and at the last minute the emo teen manages to save the doctor but it comes at the cost of the doctor no longer being a timelord and instead becomes a human.
When the Timelord/Human hybrid is born the native american teen ends up falling in love with the kid (kind of a reverse River Song situation).

Man this would be such an epic direction for the Doctor Who series to go in!

Stemer:

Lilani:

FUND IT

well canonically she is already dead (at least her body is). The problem is since she is also a timetraveller we are not rid of her. I do agree they should stop with the River Song character it is getting tiring. Personally i would rather see Moffat stop writing the episodes. The best eps of last season was The Doctor's wife. Like i said before Moffat's ending eps are real massive cop-outs.

D Moness:

Stemer:

Lilani:

FUND IT

well canonically she is already dead (at least her body is). The problem is since she is also a timetraveller we are not rid of her. I do agree they should stop with the River Song character it is getting tiring. Personally i would rather see Moffat stop writing the episodes. The best eps of last season was The Doctor's wife. Like i said before Moffat's ending eps are real massive cop-outs.

While I really don't like River, I don't want rid of Moffat all together.
Most of his episodes (i.e. any of them that don't contain River) are excellent and I think that (again provided you ignore the episodes with River) the 2 series he has been in charge of have both been excellent.

Although I do agree that he can't write decent endings for toffee.

Byere:
I wouldn't mind if they made the Doctor a female. I do have one main question though...

Matt smith is the 11th Doctor and Time Lords can only regenerate 13 times, right? So what happens after they decide to kill on whoever played the 13th Doctor? I realise there have been times in the series where it's been mentioned and even shown how one can avoid the inevitable... hell, The Master has done it at least one time... Do you think they'd continue it after the 13th or would they let the series die off with dignity (much like how they gave DT a major send-off in "The End of Time")?

That got retconed at some point, I think that he absorbed the power of merchandising into his body and it gave him infinity regenerations.

While it could be interesting, I don't think it would really work. The doctor is so much of a mad uncle character I think making him a woman would push it over into caricature (women in fiction tend to fall into annoying rather than comforting stereotypes). Plus it would probably lead to endless gender inequality/sexuality themes blah blah blah.

As a woman I do not feel underrepresented in the Whoniverse. The Doctor should stay a man.

Stemer:

While I really don't like River, I don't want rid of Moffat all together.
Most of his episodes (i.e. any of them that don't contain River) are excellent and I think that (again provided you ignore the episodes with River) the 2 series he has been in charge of have both been excellent.

Although I do agree that he can't write decent endings for toffee.

The problem is of all the eps he wrote for the last 2 series (the ones he was in charge of) only 4 eps do not have River Song in them (that are 4 eps of the 12 he writen(also 2 of the that 4 are both christmas specials. And the other 2 are the first 2 eps of series 5)).

It was less bad before he took over and i must say that "Blink" is one of his best written episode also "The beast below was very interesting".

Ok i will come halfway, he can be good if he doesn't write about River Song , Season finales or chrismas specials(The last 2 x-mas specials aren't that bad but compared to previous ones they are not that great either(a bit to "alls well that ends well" for me)

I'd definitely be excited for that, but i'd personally rather it be another show, for example, she's another Timelord that somehow survived and she's got completely separate adventures from the current Doctor, and eventually the two shows have some kind of special in which something happens to the Doctor in the main series that makes the new female Doctor take his place.

Nah. It would feel... odd. It would come across as a 'shock change' to get a ratings boost.
I'd be cool with a black doctor though. Daniel Kaluuya was amazing in Black Mirror and the Fades so perhaps him. Or an asian doctor (or any other race) but I don't know what actor would fit the bill.

Byere:

Well three things there...

The first is in the spinoff kid's series Smith appeared and said he had unlimited regens. This was confirmed as cannon and we were told it would be explained without retcon in the following season of Dr Who but they never commented on it again. So hard to know if they really were stupid enough to just waive the hand and make it go away.

It could be they will take the easy route and say River Song's life hand-over gave him all her remaining lives or reset his count (weak ass but possible)

The third option is that we have seen that the limit is not a hard one. We know the limit was artificially imposed by the Time Lords and that the technology existed for the TL council to give more lives. We also know the TL brought back someone directly from the time vortex who was already gone with a fresh regen count (The Master) and that the limit could be bypassed by sneaky means (The Master). So they could write ways to extra lives.

Would would be BRILLIANT of course would be to let the Doctor have his 13th life. Part of that life would be his coming to grips with his own mortality. He can't just regen anymore, death is death. How would that change him? Would he get braver, or nervous about everything? What kind of interesting interaction with human companions could he have when for the first time, he would grow old and die just like them? Or maybe even bring Jack back... now reversed with Jack immortal and The Doctor mortal, how would that play out. And of course at the end of that doctor's run, they could invoke option 3 and find a way to extend his lives, or let someone life River, Jack, or Jenny, maybe working with the TARDIS herself, to "Do a Master" and pull a new reincarnation of the dead Doctor right out of the Vortex (or maybe even an OLD doctor who comes back and then collapses and regenerates from the shock...back to life 7 or something).

So many good options, but I know they will just wimp out when they get there.

I don't mean to sound like a stick in the mud, but no. Just...no. I don't like the idea of it. And it's not because I'm against women (as I am one), but I just don't think it sounds good.

It would feel wrong. The Doctor is male. Period. Yes, Time Lords can occassionally change gender, but it doesn't typically happen. How confusing would it be if you, as a Time Lord, married a Time Lady who regenerated and was suddenly a Time Lord?

I highly doubt I'd enjoy a female Doctor. Or even a female Master. The characters need to stay the gender they are. Otherwise, it feels wrong.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked