I have just about had it with necromancy on the escapist

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I have inadvertently posted in three or four necro threads in a few days. It's getting to be a pain. Surely something should be done about it?

Has anyone else noticed that this has been happening a lot, recently?

(Sorry if off-topic is the wrong place to post this complaint)

Yeah, they changed the captchas and they seem to screw everything up by lagging out and tricking you into hitting "post" several times before it actually decides to do something.

Please, mods and webmasters, hear our pleas! If you simply make it to where new members have to rack up 20 or 30 posts before being able post a new thread, so many of your spam thread problems would be solved! Enough of these captchas for users that have thousands of posts!

MammothBlade:
I have inadvertently posted in three or four necro threads in a few days. It's getting to be a pain. Surely something should be done about it?

Has anyone else noticed that this has been happening a lot, recently?

(Sorry if off-topic is the wrong place to post this complaint)

I've noticed that a lot. I've been trying to lock the threads that get necro'd and messaging the people who do it to warn them not to do it again. Doesn't seem to be working too well.

If you can message me with a link to the post that necro'd a thread in future, I'll try and handle it as fast as I can.

That goes for everyone, btw. >.>

Is there a criteria in necro'ing threads? Because I feel that some threads should be allowed to be necro'd, like the atkinator one.

I think Necro-ing is fine, I don't think it's against the rules.
And it totally should be done on Forum Games, a couple of months ago I necro-ed one forum game and it's still going on even though I haven't posted on it in a couple months!
Necro-ing is fine as long as there's still something to discuss in the thread I think.
In fact I think that now when I can't find any interesting ongoing threads I shall look for an interesting one to Necro because I'm not good at all at making new ones and the ones I think are good I never find a good way to type them so I don't post them.
I'm probably not going to do it or do it very rarely, like once every 60 full moons or something...

TopazFusion:
I've got into the habit of always checking the timestamps, so I can usually spot a necro thread.

Nouw:
I feel that some threads should be allowed to be necro'd, like the atkinator one.

. . . or this one.

And that xD. Some threads should be allowed to have the necromantic treatment ;).

TopazFusion:
I've got into the habit of always checking the timestamps, so I can usually spot a necro thread.

Nouw:
I feel that some threads should be allowed to be necro'd, like the atkinator one.

. . . or this one.

....I clicked the buttons, and now I regret it..

I think I will wait five months and then resurrect this thread. Oh, the sweet irony!

Just quickly check the last post date as a short-term measure before writing a reply. I haven't noticed any increase myself but really think the site would benefit from automatically locking threads that haven't been posted in for over two-four weeks or something.

Nouw:
Is there a criteria in necro'ing threads? Because I feel that some threads should be allowed to be necro'd, like the atkinator one.

The huge ones that have been going on for years should be exempt.

'The Artist in Thee'
'The Scary Thread'
'Pimp My Gun'

I'm probably forgetting one or two but I love those threads, they're huge so there's loads to look through.

Maybe have the thread title be colored red or something distinguishable so if it gets necro'd people can see that it is an old thread and might not be worth posting in.
Or have a little banner/warning above the OPs post (say something like moba fire) where it tells you the thread is old.

TopazFusion:

Nouw:

. . . or this one.

That is fucking amazing! hahaha! However I've been tricked once, never again.....

Necroing is better than creating 50 threads about the EXACT same thing (hi xda)

GideonB:

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. Sometimes a thread is worth keeping alive. Problem is though that a 10+ page thread will after a while be people replying to OP, so a new thread with new thoughts might also be good.

That said I don't mind either way.

Well you guys do spam "Use the search button" So yeah, if someone does that he's most likely going to post in a old thread :P

I'm bookmarking this thread so that I can come back in a couple of months an necro it.

Seriously though, just ignore necro'd thread or report them? Not much you can really do other than that.

Also, how the hell are these new captcha's supposed to do anything? I just described the brand Virgin mobiles as "gay" and it worked. How exactly does this keep out bots?

TopazFusion:

Nouw:

. . . or this one.

"lol why are there so many red buttons?
okay i'll bite
*presses button*...
hmm nothing happened..
*presses button*
*scrolls down*
hey hang on why is everyones profile pictu--
Oh no...
*facepalm*
Well played sir =["

^ is my exact thought process i just had after looking at that thread... damn you!

Honestly if topics aren't suppose to be nerco (I'm pretty sure nerco a thread is against the rule http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.129303-The-Report-Button-and-You-UPDATED-8-6-09 scroll down abit) why not just simply locked the thread when they reach a certain ages like after it reach a month with no new posts on it?

What's wrong with necro'ing threads? Isn't the entire point of the search bar so you can find threads about a topic instead of creating a new one? Wtf's the point if you're just going to tell everyone "Just make a new thread about the same topic that's already been discussed"?

I agree! The sheer amount of undead profaning and other such tomfoolery is just too much around here! I reckon we should ban it, just like the Mages Guild did!
Hm? What's this?

*Reads*

Ah. I have just been informed we are talking about an entirely different form of necromancy, specifically the one about bringing back old threads. On that I am loosely in favour, if there is still discussion value left in it.

This is the first time I've heard about Necro Threads being a negative. I always thought that reviving old conversation was a good thing.

Except for the one time when someone necro'd a Heath Ledger dying thread for some really strange reason. It was like two years after it happened. He wasn't even surprised, he was just saying like "Yeah, I remember this. It's a shame when people die so young"

made a habbit of checking time of last post to avoid those. sometimes its annoying when you comment in an order discussion and then bam 10 next posts insult you for how retarded you are for bringing the topic up again.

what but we necromancers have rights you know.... summoning skeletons is a noble profession... only if cyodrill realised that.

OT:I don't see the problem with it

JochemHippie:
Well you guys do spam "Use the search button" So yeah, if someone does that he's most likely going to post in a old thread :P

It's a fair point but generally when people do that they're referring to a thread that's been made recently, as in a few days of a difference. I think they're now referring to threads that are several months to a year old.

Colour-Scientist:
It's a fair point but generally when people do that they're referring to a thread that's been made recently, as in a few days of a difference. I think they're now referring to threads that are several months to a year old.

A year isn't the worst I've seen... saw a necro from 2008...

Mebbe there should be an auto-lock function on threads that haven't had any new posts in 6 months (or whatever suitable period of time).

*shrug*

SckizoBoy:

Colour-Scientist:

A year isn't the worst I've seen... saw a necro from 2008...

Mebbe there should be an auto-lock function on threads that haven't had any new posts in 6 months (or whatever suitable period of time).

*shrug*

But they're generally the staple threads as opposed to random topics. Like the ones I mentioned earlier. Those threads should never be locked, ever.

I've been here a while and the entire time there has been a bit of a search bar nazi culture. Necroing > New thread has been the attitude among the user base for a while.

I don't post very regularly anymore though so I may be a bit out of date.

JoesshittyOs:
This is the first time I've heard about Necro Threads being a negative. I always thought that reviving old conversation was a good thing.

Except for the one time when someone necro'd a Heath Ledger dying thread for some really strange reason. It was like two years after it happened. He wasn't even surprised, he was just saying like "Yeah, I remember this. It's a shame when people die so young"

I'm mostly talking about threads which are over six months old, threads which have run their natural course and people stopped posting in them for a reason. Or threads which never thrived in the first place being brought back from the dead... *shudder*

It seems to be predominantly new members - and people posting from Facebook - who are responsible for this sort of thing. One person I saw posted from Facebook just to continue an argument in a single-post thread from 2010.

And in response to that: slowpoke.jpg

I really think an auto-lock of some sort would be a good idea. If something hasn't had any posts in say, 6 months...

Hey, Necromancers are people too you know.

OT: I haven't actually posted in about a week or so so I don't know that this was a problem, and it is better to bring back a thread that is old than making 20 of the same thread.

If someone re-posts a thread, they get shouted at and told to use the search function.

If someone posts in an old thread as they don't want to repost, they get shouted at for necromancy.

Moral of the story, don't post at all.

iBagel:
If someone re-posts a thread, they get shouted at and told to use the search function.

If someone posts in an old thread as they don't want to repost, they get shouted at for necromancy.

Eyyup.

Thats the problem, people make new threads on old topics, get told to use the serch bar, but get yelled at for necroing threads when they do. It pushes away new forum users.

iBagel:

I've noticed that already.

Better not post a negative or dissenting opinion either.
The Escapist likes all happy thoughts, all the time.

Anyway, just off to go have fun paying premium price for some underwhelming DLC! I can't wait. I might just send game developers my money actually, I don't deserve their wonderful perfect games.

Whu...
Since when was necroing a bad thing?

Back when I lurked, necroing was encouraged in the forum rules as an alternative to creating a new thread.

Personally, I enjoy seeing good old threads come back every once in a while.
I certainly enjoy it more than the alternative: seeing the same damn topic being posted over and over again.

Just going to pop up here and offer my two cents.

Thread Necroing itself has never really been in the Code of Conduct (or previously, the Forum Guidelines) as it's own "Don't do this" because the idea of bringing up a thread if it's relevant and on-topic isn't at all a wrong thing to do.

Admittedly, necroing a thread about pre-patch problems in a game (that are no longer an issue) or a news article months old is pointless, and is a bad idea because it's just a low-content post that promotes no discussion. (Which, keep in mind, there's already a pair of rules against those behaviors.) An old thread that is again (or still) relevant isn't actually a problem, it's just a thread that happens to have a different date on the starting line.

Other than that, the Code of Conduct has a list of all of the present mods on it, and they'll never take offense to you PMing them asking them about a thread or whether or not it's okay to bump an old thread with on-topic discussion. Or if you see a thread you think needs to be dropped back into the nether.

Also, feel free to hit up the IRC, there's usually a mod or two in there to resolve an issue, and if there isn't, ask for NewClassic, I can pass it along the food-chain pretty quickly.

GideonB:

Was waiting for someone to say that.

I have no problem with thread necroing, but 50 iterations of the same crap gets old. I don't understand why people dislike thread necroing when it is the lesser of two (inevitable) evils.

I have had like 5 captchas in 10 posts today. Not cool.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked