Girl, 16, offs herself after being forced to marry her rapist

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Jezeb:
Today in awful: a 16-year-old Moroccan girl has reportedly committed suicide after being forced to marry the man who raped her. There is absolutely nothing good about this story.

According to The Delta Herald, the young woman was raped by a man 10 years her senior last year. The family brought charges against him, and, after intervention from the girl's family, the man's family, and acquaintances of both families, a judge decided that instead of subjecting the man to any form of legal punishment, it was probably a good idea to force the two to get married, man and victim. According to Moroccan penal code, a rapist who marries his victim is exempt from legal punishment.

As a result of the crime, the girl was rejected by her father and forced to live in the home of her rapist. And last week, she ended her life by eating rat poison.

Ugh.

http://jezebel.com/5892959/moroccan-girl-kills-herself-after-judge-forces-her-to-marry-her-rapist

I guess I'm not surprised dumb shit keeps going on despite it being 2012. I doubt it will end anytime soon.

Didn't some woman get burned for being a witch like a month ago?

usmarine4160:

Yes... -_- It's a shame really. What can you do though beside bring attention to it.

Just more proof that humanity sucks.

The article they link to and base their article off of looks terribly unprofessional. I was gonna post this elsewhere, but do you have any better source?

Mortai Gravesend:
The article they link to and base their article off of looks terribly unprofessional. I was gonna post this elsewhere, but do you have any better source?

I think the lack of other sources speaks to the fact they obviously see no problem with it or news doesn't get out very easily.

Well, at least I can feel better about looking down on less socially advanced cultures.

Eri:

usmarine4160:

Yes... -_-

Yes but her children got 1 million rupees, bling bling, at least if Ganondorf comes to attack them they have the funds to ward him off without their mother.

Anyway, this story kind of depresses me, she killed herself with rat poison, so who is going to take care of the rapist now that she's dead. That was HER rapist, not somebody else's rapist, it was her responsibility to take care of him, now he's probably all sad and lonely, and there will probably be rats everywhere since she hogged all the poison.

Oh man, This is why I don't ever visit third world countries.

Regnes:

Eri:

usmarine4160:

Yes... -_-

Yes but her children got 1 million rupees, bling bling, at least if Ganondorf comes to attack them they have the funds to ward him off without their mother.

Anyway, this story kind of depresses me, she killed herself with rat poison, so who is going to take care of the rapist now that she's dead. That was HER rapist, not somebody else's rapist, it was her responsibility to take care of him, now he's probably all sad and lonely, and there will probably be rats everywhere since she hogged all the poison.

LOL

Topic Creator: this stuff happens all the time. The worst stuff you probably don't even hear about. It's best just to subconsciously be aware of it and not let it affect you until you decide to either make a serious difference or respectfully carry out your life in another fashion.
(and my captcha? "politically correct"; I think that they must match captchas with text content)

This is why we can't have nice things.

Another facepalm for humanity! and here I thought stuff was getting better...

Regnes:

Eri:

usmarine4160:

Yes... -_-

Successful troll is extremely successful.

In all seriousness, I doubt the story is actually true, or that that is the entire story. Somebody probably heard about the law,a nd decided to make a slashfic about it. The slashfic was then mis-understood by some journalist, and published this.

Swifty714:

Regnes:

Eri:
Yes... -_-

In all seriousness, I doubt the story is actually true, or that that is the entire story. Somebody probably heard about the law,a nd decided to make a slashfic about it. The slashfic was then mis-understood by some journalist, and published this.

After looking around it seems pretty true to me: http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/ripamina-0022096

Why would you think it isn't?

Regnes:

Eri:

usmarine4160:

Yes... -_-

Haha, you sir are glorious, have a free internet.

Yeah, it's sick though, but that line made me smile, being a huge Zelda nerd and all.

Swifty714:

Regnes:

Eri:
Yes... -_-

It's perfectly true. This happens in other countries as well, just go search BBC news and you'll find older articles about other countries forcing their women to do the same.

Eri:

Mortai Gravesend:

I think the lack of other sources speaks to the fact they obviously see no problem with it or news doesn't get out very easily.

Or it could be completely fake to get page views.

Fieldy409:

Eri:

Mortai Gravesend:

Or it could be completely fake to get page views.

But it's not.

Eri:

Swifty714:

Regnes:

It's perfectly true. This happens in other countries as well, just go search BBC news and you'll find older articles about other countries forcing their women to do the same.

Literally piss me off to no end if I was her father. I would probably beat the shit out of the guy with a baseball bat while my daughter watches. Even stick something up his ass so he can know how it feels. Pretty much like giving a guy the a reward for doing wrong. Alright now I can rape her some more now that we are married. Rape doesn't just have to be the exception, why not praise people for murder. Don't want to throw you in prison for murder, here is a free car you crazy lug.

Adultism:

Because you'll somehow be raped and be forced to marry your rapist?

People tell me that you're not supposed to judge other cultures based on your own.

"You're supposed to show tolerance to these cultures! You're in no position to judge whether they're right or wrong!" they say. You know what my answer to that is? Fuck that. Fuck them. And fuck you too, asshole.

That viewpoint might be acceptable when comparing two relatively developed countries... but any civilization that treats its women like this is downright evil. There is no justification.

Nouw:

Adultism:

Stranger things have happened.

P.S.: I miss the wall in your avatar :<

Nouw:

Adultism:

That is exactly why.

Fawxy:

Can't please everyone y'know ;).

Adultism:

Nouw:

Adultism:

That is exactly why.

I don't think I've heard of a story where a tourist was raped and forced to marry their rapist. If you live there that could happen but I seriously doubt that it could happen to a visitor like you and me.

Nouw:

Fawxy:

Can't please everyone y'know ;).

Adultism:

Nouw:

That is exactly why.

I don't think I've heard of a story where a tourist was raped and forced to marry their rapist. If you live there that could happen but I seriously doubt that it could happen to a visitor like you and me.

I was joking. I don't go to third world countries because of the hostel movies.

Adultism:
I was joking. I don't go to third world countries because of the hostel movies.

Over my head, the joke went. In my defense, you could have exaggerated a little more :P.

Regnes:

XKCD:
Fun game: try to post a comment so stupid that people will realize you must be joking. (Hint: this is impossible)

While I appreciate what you're doing, that was a little too far.

Regnes:

His wallet can only hold 99...

Well, this is pretty tragic. Rapists are almost never deserving of sympathy, so why did the judge say "Ya know what? I'm in a good mood today. You'll go scott free if you just marry the person you raped."?

Fawxy:
That viewpoint might be acceptable when comparing two relatively developed countries... but any civilization that treats its women like this is downright evil. There is no justification.

...It's downright evil by the standards of our culture. That's the whole point. Not saying I agree with it, but that's what the argument is.

Regnes:

Eri:

usmarine4160:

Yes... -_-

Congratulations, you're the author of today's most soul-shatteringly awful comment. I tip my hat to you sir.

Chanel Tompkins:
Just more proof that humanity sucks.

So, you suck then? And I suck then? And everybody on this website sucks then?

I take offense at your statement.

Great, more Mysanthrope-feed.

Seriously, terrible stuff like this happens all the time, why post it in a gaming forum, with no other purpose than to make other people feel awful and bring down a the comment-wrath of the Mysanthropes like a ton of bricks?

I have nothing to say about this story, other than there is nothing to be said about it.

Read part 1:

Shawn MacDonald:
Literally piss me off to no end if I was her father. I would probably beat the shit out of the guy with a baseball bat while my daughter watches. Even stick something up his ass so he can know how it feels.

Now read part 2:

Shawn MacDonald:
Rape doesn't just have to be the exception, why not praise people for murder. Don't want to throw you in prison for murder, here is a free car you crazy lug.

Just had to point that out.

OT: Sadly the one I am pissed most at is not even the rapist. Sure, he is a piece of shit and deserves a brutal death.
But the fucking judge is meant to uphold the law and protect people and he forces her into a even worse situation. He is meant to be better than that and he pretty much ensured her death.
And her father is meant to be, well, her fucking father! Her protector, someone who will always stand beside her. Yet he lets her marry that fucker? I would have seen him dead first even if I ended up going to prison for the rest of my life.
So yeah, the rapist is indeed scum, but I reserve the bulk of my disgust for the 2 people who were meant to help and protect the kid.
They deserve death every bit as much as the rapist.

Regnes:

Eri:

usmarine4160:

Yes... -_-

You win at everything forever. I still don't know how you keep getting away with shit like this, but your comments never cease to amuse me. And from what I've heard taking care of a rapist can be quite messy. Potty training is such a chore with them.

OT- You know all those people who post about losing their faith in humanity when we have the articles about Fox News. I'm pretty damn close to joining them for the first time in my life, except my despair is far overshadowed by anger.

Remind me to reference this thread the next time some prick claims that only americans are morons. Just sayin'.

Hey, it's what it says should happen in the bible isn't it?

should fundamentalist Christians count this as a win?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked