53.1% (370)
53.1% (370)
No
46.2% (322)
46.2% (322)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Immortality, with a catch

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

You have uniquely been granted the opportunity to become immortal, your body will cease to age beyond its peak physical condition and you will gain strong telekinetic powers.

However, there is a catch. To gain immortality you must first murder a person. Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year. You cannot pay or persuade someone else to commit the murder for you and you cannot set up a trap to kill your victim, you must directly and personally end their life. Killing someone with a terminal illness or who is over 80 does not count.

Would you selfishly rob someone of their life to extend your own and gain power? Converting many potential years of another persons life into a single year of your own? How would you use your power? Would you help the innocent and weak in an attempt to relieve you of your guilt or would you embrace the immorality of your human sacrifices and rule the world as a tyrant? Discuss

Eh, I don't even need to worry about the moral aspects of it, I don't think I could get away with it for very long without being caught and locked up.

Mortai Gravesend:
Eh, I don't even need to worry about the moral aspects of it, I don't think I could get away with it for very long without being caught and locked up.

You could use your telekinetic powers to stop anyone from locking you up.

Immortality is overrated anyway. Our brain is barely able to cope with the lifespans we have now, potentially increasing that to infinity is just begging for the type of insanity where that 'catch' becomes a 'perk'.

So no. I wouldn't take it at all.

SlaveNumber23:

Mortai Gravesend:

Only while I'm awake. I can't be on the run my entire life, now can I?

Mortai Gravesend:

SlaveNumber23:

Mortai Gravesend:

Well why not use the powers to break out after being locked up?

SlaveNumber23:

Mortai Gravesend:

SlaveNumber23:

Well why not use the powers to break out after being locked up?

Then people would still be out to get me while I slept. The social consequences of being a known telekinetic murder would suck anyway.

Is it really worth it to kill someone to gain immortality? I don't really think so, besides is immortality actually good? who knows might be, might not be but considering that almost killing a person but not doing it in the end is something that still haunts me and makes me think I'm a monster I don't think I could handle killing people to remain immortal, so yeah most definitely no.

Seeing how I would be immortal when killing I could either mercifully go for bums or cheerfully against high ranking criminals so it'd be easy enough to justify it.

Yes I would rule the world as a dictator if I could but I wouldn't bother with pointless cruelties.

Heh I think after too long people would start to look like your avatar OP.

Question about it though, would abortion doctors live forever?

I would become the best mercenary the world has ever seen, which would solve the problem of murdering someone once a year, and also get me a bit of money at the same time.

SlaveNumber23:
Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year.

Well, that's not immortality then, is it? You don't extend immortality. It's just an extended lifespan dependent on some very immoral logistics.

OT: Boring! Immortality would be so dull after a while. Life is so cyclical, fashion goes round, businesses boom and bust and wars ebb and flow. With all the same crap coming and going, being an immortal would get so very tiresome.

Morality is over-rated. Sort of. I'd keep my killings like Kira. Kill those who deserve to die. Thus I live forever and the world gets slowly better. Immortality, I assume, means noone can just stab you to death. Right?

i would kill Criminal's, they deserve it more then anyone else.

go Death note up in this

Not hard to say yes to this. Plenty of corrupted beings on this planet, I'd be a freaking hero.

Yes. Yes I would. I would kill a bunch of gang members so it wouldn't feel as bad but I would still kill them.

No problem, there are pleanty of people in this world who I wouldn't flinch at killing. There'd be some free space in prisons after I'd been through them.

Erja_Perttu:

SlaveNumber23:
Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year.

Well, that's not immortality then, is it? You don't extend immortality. It's just an extended lifespan dependent on some very immoral logistics.

My thoughts exactly when I first read this. It's not immortality, it's just killing one person at a time to increase your lifespan by one year.

It's too easy to say yes to this outright. So one of the things stopping people from committing murder right now is that there's no promise of one more year of life? Is anyone considering that it may actually be pretty hard to kill hardened criminals and gang members? Or how about the moral implications?

No, I would not accept immortality under these conditions.

I would certainly think about it. If you no longer wish to live, you can simply stop killing and wait until your time runs out. But then, I personally think I'd get drunk with the blood and power before too long, so who knows. It's a nice concept, at any rate.

That's not immortality since you would still die when you ran out of humans.

I'd go for it. I'd do it in the same sorta way Dexter does (Not the child with a laboratory, look it up if you don't know.)

But, that's not immortatlity! I mean, I could only live for another 6 billion years or so.

Sure.
I'd kill murderers, child molesters, serial rapists.
It works out great. I have infinite time to get rid of them, and when I die, the world is a much better place because the murderers, child molester and serial rapists are all dead.

And if anyone says "But that makes you just as bad." I can point out that when they're all gone I will die.

So to live forever I must kill once a year? So I'm like a vampire in an abstract sense, so long as I "feed" once a year I am immortal. This murder...can it be done with a firearm or am I down to choking a victim to death? I doubt I could accomplish this task up close and personal.

Ultra-powerful telekinetic powers, peak physical condition and pseudo-immortality for a year if I kill someone?

...You know there's this thing called the army, right? Where you get paid to shoot people? Hell, outside of the army you could always just assassinate people with your telekinetic powers - kinda hard to pin the murder on you when there isn't any physical evidence, right?

Captcha: True Life. Considering this is a thread about murder and immortality...

steevee:
But, that's not immortatlity! I mean, I could only live for another 6 billion years or so.

Well, considering the Human Population is growing faster then it's shrinking, I doubt a single murder a year from 1 person is gonna harm the human race in the long run. Hell, outside of catastrophic extinctions you could probably achieve true immortality, so long as our numbers keep growing.

Eh, no problem if I only kill the bad people, although I can see where this would go bad since I tend to antagonize people who cut in line.

Nope.
I wouldn't be able to the first times and that's what counts, if you kill someone it gets easier every time (so I heard from interviews with people who kill) but I couldn't do the first.
Also there is the fun aspect of killing 100 persons somehow, like blowing down a building and immediatelly getting 100 years. But I wouldn't do it.

Hmmm... Probably not. I would be very tempted but the killing would take a lot of work. Now if I got the rest of the years they were going to live... then maybe.
Also Reaver was a great character. One of the 3 characters to get a reaction out of me.

I would become a doctor and open a euthanasia clinic. I'd be doing something good for a lot of people.

TrilbyWill:
Sure.
It works out great. I have infinite time to get rid of them, and when I die, the world is a much better place because the murderers, child molester and serial rapists are all dead.

And if anyone says "But that makes you just as bad." I can point out that when they're all gone I will die.

you'd never die, there will always be people who would murder and rape for the giggles.

But the police would catch and I know Id be in jail for at least a year -_-!
kinda negates the point.
How bout I gain the lifespan of the person I murder.

TrilbyWill:
Sure.

Agreed on this. I'd most probably start out like this then eventually go mad, turn evil and become a super villain/psychopath. That is the only problem with good intentions and immortality. After a certain point you would just stop caring.

Eventually someone would make a small offhand comment about me or cut in front in line and then I'd make their head explode.
Messy.

Immortality is a terrible power, why would anyone ever want it under any circumstances? If I could just get the telekinesis on its own then yes.

Shanicus:
Ultra-powerful telekinetic powers, peak physical condition and pseudo-immortality for a year if I kill someone?

...You know there's this thing called the army, right? Where you get paid to shoot people? Hell, outside of the army you could always just assassinate people with your telekinetic powers - kinda hard to pin the murder on you when there isn't any physical evidence, right?

that's what i was thinking you could be the super soldier who single handedly wins the war and makes his life span a thousand years longer

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked