53.1% (370)
53.1% (370)
No
46.2% (322)
46.2% (322)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Immortality, with a catch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Not interested in losing my humanity to gain eternal life.

I mean, what kind of life is that when your only goal is to simply exist?

Also, immortality is overrated.

I'd just use my telekinesis to stop one person's heart every year. Preferably someone from the Westboro Baptist Church. It'd be win-win, and untraceable.

Trezu:
i would kill Criminal's, they deserve it more then anyone else.

go Death note up in this

This, but not to that extent. See, if you wanted to live forever, you'd have to keep killing. If you're only killing criminals, even for the most minor infractions, eventually crime will cease to exist. That being the case, eventually, you'll run out of criminals to punish.

Also, on that note (no pun intended), with Death Note, I thought up a flaw with its logic. You only have to write down the name of the person and/or the date/time they'll die... but what about people who share the same name? What if there was a perfectly innocent man named Charles Bronson? How would the Death Note distinguish between him and the murderer?
I dunno, maybe I'm forgetting something as I haven't watched the series in forever. Does it say you have to picture that person in your mind as well or something? If that's the case, what id you don't know the face of the person?
Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

OT: I'd go for immortality, even by this method. As for getting caught, how could they catch you. If you have telekinetic powers, you could use many a method to make it look like accidents. Hell, you could go for a full house by causing 2+ cars to crash and kill multiple people in one go (the bonus for murders would stack, right?)

Personally though, I'd prefer an immortality that DOESN'T involve murder. I'd happily live forever if it was passive (as in I didn't have to do anything... I'd just be immortal. None of this Highlander stuff where everyone else who's immortal will come at me for a chance to kill me despite no personal grudge, etc)

I think I would have to say yes. I would be like a vigilante. Only killing bad guys. World never runs out of them.

I would kill someone once a year for immortality, only the people who deserve it, rapists, child abusers, peadophiles, murderers etc no problem right there, I'd live forever and would be doing the world a favour to :)

i would totally become dexter, wiping out some of the scum of the earth. hell yes i'd do it. given the chance to just get away with it i would do it, now i get powers too!

Telekinetic forcefield, walk into nearest battlezone, start offing the people on the other side making it look like gunshots, dissapear before your side realizes you're not another soldier. It can't be that hard.

I cannot stress enough how much immortality would suck ass. The only way I would consider this is if it was in reverse. In being immortal, every year Im alive someone who was going to die gets to live a while longer.

Assuming that the telekinetic abilities are powerful enough that I practically cannot be killed, yes. I'm sure we all would like to think we would be able to resist any will to do something like this, even if we knew the benefits of it, but I know that I'm not that strong. I might have trouble with it at first, but I'd eventually cave in.

Byere:

Also, on that note (no pun intended), with Death Note, I thought up a flaw with its logic. You only have to write down the name of the person and/or the date/time they'll die... but what about people who share the same name? What if there was a perfectly innocent man named Charles Bronson? How would the Death Note distinguish between him and the murderer?
I dunno, maybe I'm forgetting something as I haven't watched the series in forever. Does it say you have to picture that person in your mind as well or something? If that's the case, what id you don't know the face of the person?
Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

You have to picture their face in your mind. If you don't know both their face and their name, you can't kill them.

Well I'd gain 20 years for killing some of the people who I don't like then I'd kill people who are generally bad people.

Yes. Then I would use my strong telekinetic powers to make them live again.

Erja_Perttu:

SlaveNumber23:
Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year.

Well, that's not immortality then, is it? You don't extend immortality. It's just an extended lifespan dependent on some very immoral logistics.

OT: Boring! Immortality would be so dull after a while. Life is so cyclical, fashion goes round, businesses boom and bust and wars ebb and flow. With all the same crap coming and going, being an immortal would get so very tiresome.

I was going to say the same thing. This immortality as it is extending your timespan.

Now a unique take on Immortality would be that you would have to be the grim reaper, but every person on your list you would have to get buddies with before you kill them.

HEEEEEELL NO.

First of all, Immortality is overrated.

Two, you have to keep killing people PERSONALLY do keep it going? Not only will that get you caught and taken down and feared, but it's also...uhh...WRONG?

...That being said, there doesn't seem to be a clause about the victim needing to be "non-evil"...Soo....One could theoretically go Kira on the world, and be like "I will destroy all evil. If you want me to go away, stop being evil. Then my lifespan will dry up and I will gladly die in peace."

...Not that I would do that. It's not in me to kill. I don't have the instinct/drive for it.

Fightgarr:
Immortality always has a catch. You realized that if you can't die, the probability of you becoming trapped forever rises to 100%. See, being immortal doesn't entail you're super strong, or anything else. It just means that you don't die. If you were trapped beneath a rock at the bottom of the ocean, you'd just be experiencing drowing... forever. And one could go with the argument "Well I'll avoid those situations", but the thing is: this is forever we're talking about, it will happen eventually because even if the probability of that event is low, when a probability is given infinite time, it always happens.

You forgot that this set of Immortality comes with super levels of Telekinesis, and so long as you know what you're doing, you can get your self out of those situations.

Why would you even wan to become immortal? Would you want to see the world around gradually die? How many millions of years could you last before going insane?

Ahhh.... it's hard to resist the temptation of this wonderful... where do I sign?

It's a nice excuse to go on a maniacal killing spree. The telekinetic powers would definitely help with that, allowing me to come up with creative freak "accidents" and sadistic ends of all flavours and varieties. Hahaahaha!!!

I'm a monster, aren't I?

What exact type of immortality is it though? Is it Dorian Gray style immortality, where you can neither die and are invulnerable to harm? Or highlander style immortality, where you can still die through bodily harm.

I personally wouldn't go for it. Like many immortality threads have mentioned, I wouldn't be able to deal with my family and friends passing on while I stay alive. Sure I could stop killing people to die, but I wouldn't want to die, knowing people died for me to stay alive. Besides it's not like nobody would be after you.

CAPTCHA: in limbo

What kind of immortality are we talking, here? IS it just an extended lifespan, or could I survive instances that others cannot? Could I die from a gunshot wound? Blood loss? Lots of serious pain? Decapitation?
Even going Kira on people would be difficult if death is possible via injury, especially since you need to kill personally. What use is another year of like when my victim's criminal buddies are after me? Telekinesis would help to a degree, but that's different from omniscience. I could still be caught off guard or unawares, Everyone has to sleep sometime, and I have to know someone is there to stop their attacks with my mind.
In the end, even if you want to be noble about it and only kill criminals, it's too risky, and certainly not worth the cost.

Now if I was completely untouchable.. I would probably do it. I'm not arrogant enough to think that it wouldn't drive me insane or that I wouldn't eventually start murdering small time criminals for lack of other options under the misguided premise that "all crime is equal..." I just know my personality well, and have a feeling that I'd prolly fall into a serious tragedy if faced with this choice.

Now how about something like... "Every time you eat a jelly bean you gain one year of life?" I might do that for a while.

SlaveNumber23:
[snip]

Move to a country where they have the death penalty, become an executer.

I'd join the army. I'm sure they could find plenty of people for a telekinetic immortal to kill legitematley.

And who knows, you could actually make a positive change to the world, and alot of money. These people don't have to be innocent do they?

yes, yes I would, lots of motherfuckers out there who deserve nothing but death, why not be me the one who ends his life?? and if I can't make it, well...JOIN THE ARMY, or a satanist cult, whatever.

I have seen Highlander. I will not kill another human for being immortal.

Yeah I'd do it besides, I've always wanted to live to see all those advancements that seem to be just a few years after you die.

So, what's the catch? I'd would love having telekinetic powers, I could...kill for them. Yeah. And immortality is a nice bonus with the package. Also, the world needs some cleaning. I see no downside. Moreover, I'll finally get to test if I'm as clever as I think I am. I have theoretical plans how to kills a person and get away with it. I don't even need telekinesis but I can see applications for it.

Sure the hardest would be to kill people in the beginning but I will go with "they are evil" or something. Once I rack up a murder count, it would get increasingly easier to justify the act. The only problem I see is keeping a check on the kills. As time goes by, the murders would just get so routine I might slip.

The concept of immortality sucks IMO anyways, so there is no way in hell I would willingly bring it upon myself.

To put it in perspective, I find the idea of immortality to be the worst curse you could possibly inflict on someone. To say "I wish you were immortal" essentially translates to "I hope you live long enough for everything you ever work for to crumble to dust, to see everyone and everything you care for die, and to become so jaded that you resent everything that happens forever."

Ehhhhh, too iffy. Not only am I sure I'd be caught eventually, I'm pretty sure I'd weary of the process. Maybe if each kill gave me 10 years...though even then.

Sacrificing my mortality for murder...mmmm,not worth it.
Immortality is really overrated anyway if there's one thing eternal it is the stupidity of man.As much as I'd like to sweep it,the world wouldn't be the same,nor will I want to experience more stupidity coming from everywhere.

its not really immortality then its just highlander with a yearly quota but id do it seeing as i can basically quit whenever and well id just kill criminals

i'd say no, but in reality, given the opportunity, i doubt there are many people who would turn it down. we are hardwired to be afraid of and avoid death at all costs. the way you phrase it though, as in "murder" instead of simply "kill", makes it far more interesting. that would mean it has to be a hateful, hurtful thing. not a mercy killing or a kill to save someone else or to win a war. you have to murder someone, not just end someones life. with that stipulation, i dont think i could do it.

I'd love to say I wouldn't now, but I probably would.
I know alot of people say it would suck to live forever, but no matter how many times I consider the argument I still always think it would be awesome to have no time limits on what you wanted to do.
So I'd kill someone every year, preferably someone who is despicably bad, and go and do everything I could in the world. Simple.

TestECull:
Immortality is overrated anyway. Our brain is barely able to cope with the lifespans we have now, potentially increasing that to infinity is just begging for the type of insanity where that 'catch' becomes a 'perk'.

So no. I wouldn't take it at all.

That. Exactly that.
Add to the insanity that comes from long life, the mental imbalance that comes from the knowledge that I murdered my way to said long life. If I should become completely numb and/or cold to the whole process, well, that scares me even more.

I'd go to a prison and go nuts. Then use the powerful telekinetics to freeze any of the guards or innocents until I'd left. Do this once every couple of hundred years or so. If we eliminate crime I'd be fucked, I refuse to kill innocents.

Since this is the kind of immortality where you can opt out once you've had your fill of life- why not? There are plenty of people that the world is unlikely to miss much.

If I murder myself, does that count as killing someone? Because once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again. Once I'm dead, I'm immortal. So I'm alive again. But then I didn't murder anyone. So I'd kill myself again.....

immortality is its own catch. Why would I want to extend this shitty life? I personally cant wait for the next one

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked