53.1% (370)
No
46.2% (322)
46.2% (322)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Immortality, with a catch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

CODE-D:
But the police would catch and I know Id be in jail for at least a year -_-!
kinda negates the point.
How bout I gain the lifespan of the person I murder.

Go to some third world country where there are a bunch of children, unguarded and give yourself 50 years.
Leave the country, no one is the wiser.

Everyone blames Kony.

i wouldn't want to be immortal if it was free or if it came with strings. the finality of death is what makes life worth living and experiencing

No problem. I would just hit a prison and slaughter all the scumbags.

I would take the deal. There's a lot of people this world wouldn't miss in the slightest.
Also, I wonder how your life would run out if you decided to stop? If you killed someone on april 2nd, 2215, at 11:30pm, would you suddenly drop dead on april 2nd, 2216, at 11:31pm if you didn't make a kill? or would you age at an accelerated rate until you turn to dust? You need to clarify this hypothetical situation's hypothetical sidebar!

I'd do it.
I'll kill suicidal people, if they want to appear clean in the eyes of a greater power I will gladly kill them to extend my life :D

I wouldn't want to be immortal even without the catch, so I certainly wouldn't take it.

The closest I'd ever willingly get to immortality is to stay physically young until I would normally die of old age. I don't particularly want to deal with the annoyance of getting old, but I have no real desire for immortality. I'd get incredibly bored so fucking quickly.

No, being immortal would suck.
As conveniently outlined here http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Analysis/WhoWantsToLiveForever

If it was just the immortality then I would consider it but immortality AND telekinetic super powers? Definitely. To increase my power I'll just help the army/use people on death row/use people who are just terrible people/use people who aren't building my 100ft Platinum statue fast enough.

I can see me starting off nice and going insane with power over time for some reason...

There are some bad people in the world who I could use my superpowers to kill :)

So it has come to this. A question that reveals if you're prioritizing your life or other's lives.

Shall I dismiss any sort of sympathy for other people in favour of keeping myself alive? Or is the better choice denying my innermost desires to face my horrible decay?

Are those the only two choices? Dying as a hero or living as a villain? Witnessing my ideals become objects of hate, or witnessing nothing at all? Dismissal of life or submission for death? Why?

This is something I won't accept. There has to be a non-tragic alternative. There has to be, a third way. There's always a third way when one looks close enough.

You mentioned that I would be given telekinesis under this deal, is it before or after I kill someone? If after, I want to know where the genie comes from. I want to find the gruesome beast that wrote the deal, and brutally slaughter him! Or maybe just do research on EVERYTHING behind this deal, and question it.

Now, about that telekinesis thing...
Controlling the world outside my nerves is the power that has fascinated me the most. If I study it long enough, maybe just maybe I will make death no longer being a thing. Yeah, I said it. I will find a way to kill death itself! That's my greatest ambition, understanding the nuts and bolts of everything in this universe, so I can completely reshape it.

Someone's a little too into Hellsing, I see.

Question: If your immortality discriminates against the elderly and infirm, does it also discriminate against clones?

I mean, I figure that if I put whatever many years of immortality I initially get to good use and amass the wealth and technology necessary to perfect cloning and secure my own personal island respectively, I can advance my immortality by hunting said clones I produce like General Zaroff from The Most Dangerous Game. Hell, I could probably amass more money charging other equally depraved wealthy socialites admission to join me on my hunts.

You could do great things with those powers, so it's worth it. I would agree.

I voted "no" because I'm just that kind of guy, but I flipped the coin and decided "yes"; I would actively eliminate only the most cruel hearted and evil people on this planet.

It would be unfair to cause harm without allowing them to justify their reasons first, and I would off them teh chance to spend some time in jail (I'm talking mega-criminals here); and I would only play for my immortality if they openly engaged me in an attempt to end my life first. That way I would only die when there is no more evil people who deserve to die remaining on this planet for about a century.

sure. i mean, there are bundles of people out there who need to get killed and if it makes me immortal, well sign me up!

note- when i say need to get killed, i mean the people who are legitimately terrible, like other murderers and psychopaths. also drug dealers. there usually isn't a shortage of those.

Mortai Gravesend:
Eh, I don't even need to worry about the moral aspects of it, I don't think I could get away with it for very long without being caught and locked up.

You underestimate how easy it is to create conflicting evidence.

A lot of murders have never been solved, add conflicting evidence and it's borderline impossible.

CODE-D:
But the police would catch and I know Id be in jail for at least a year -_-!
kinda negates the point.

Murder gets you a lot more than a year in all the countries I can think of.

On the plus side, there are countries where you can murder 300 people and only get 25 years in prison.

Yep. Anti-hero status, here I come. Like a violent, superpowered Hunter S. Thompson (minus the drug collection, I think). Bastards of the world, beware.

Also, think of the possibilities if you're imprisoned... a huge building chock full of people to extend your lifespan with. It's not like the bars can hold you.

No. No one has the right to take another life. And to use it to extend your own is just greedy. I don't care if you say you are going to be killing "bad people" your a worse person for it.

Why murder a person? Does killing any other animal not suffice? Say.. eradicate one race of anything running around in the jungle => Lots of years.

But really.. Kill 1 guy to gain 1 year. Bad trade off.

TestECull:
Immortality is overrated anyway. Our brain is barely able to cope with the lifespans we have now

Huh?

Where did you learn this?

And sorry OP. I don't believe I could live with myself forever if I had to kill.

Hafrael:

TestECull:
Immortality is overrated anyway. Our brain is barely able to cope with the lifespans we have now

Huh?

And sorry OP. I don't believe I could live with myself forever if I had to kill.

We have a limit on how much 'life' we can take. Think of our brain like a hard-drive with a set limit. At one point we would go insane. It's not biologically viable to live too long.

There's also the whole the longer you live the less each minute of it means to you. Every year we experience we percieve as half of the last year. That's because our brain starts to omit 'uninteresting' parts of you memories.

One year per life? Uh, no. Unless I can become an abortion doctor and argue that abortions count as murder (not that I believe that, but maybe my powers will).

Optiluiz:

Hafrael:

TestECull:

Huh?

We have a limit on how much 'life' we can take. Think of our brain like a hard-drive with a set limit. At one point we would go insane. It's not biologically viable to live too long.

Not true the brain will clean itself up. If with this immortality it is assumed your brain does not age or decay then it will be perfectly capable of compartmentalizing and storing useful and important information. (Mental illnesses from age are there simply from age! They would not come about if the brain did not age normally, as in, decay.)

There's also the whole the longer you live the less each minute of it means to you. Every year we experience we percieve as half of the last year. That's because our brain starts to omit 'uninteresting' parts of you memories.

The second claim is also complete hogwash, it is one of those common ideas that is utter bullshit. Time does not speed up perceptually, a lot of people just get bored with the every day minutiae of life, and have a strange perception of past events. (Source)

I would hate to be immortal, although it's interesting how we're mostly pretty polarised on this one. I say this because knowing my utter lack of finesse I'd probably get caught instantly and spend most of it in a prison cell, until I'd be forced to kill again. So I'd basically spend all of my immortal life in prison.

I think I'll just stick with my mortality, thanks very much.

Hmm I'd used my telekinetic powers to sneak into death row then use said powers to murder an inmate.

Hells yes!
As for prison time... well:

Wow, exactly 50% when I put in the poll. Being religious, I would definitely would not care so no.

Interesting thread, I voted yes and the results showed a perfect 50 - 50 ratio

I'll just move to america and become an exicutioner. Did i win?

People keep talking about "people who deserve it." Sure, I suppose you could justify saying that you only kill bad people, but in my experience I happen to know there are no innocent people. Yes, there are those who commit crimes against the state or country by murdering, raping, molesting, assaulting, stealing, kidnapping, and drug using, but a quick look at any human being beyond the age of eighteen, and your existence is proof of your guilt. You may not realize it now, but know that just by being, you have altered reality. That being said, yes I would take the deal, and yes I would kill anyone I had to to stay alive.

of course id take it, id just serve afew years in the army from time to time or occasionally go on a killing spree of people who deserve to die like terrosist's or kony

would i kill innocent people for it....never

I lose enough sleep when I forget to recycle. Killing people would not bode well for me.

Fuck yeah. I'll be the new Captain America.

Only...Captain Australia.

So...I guess I'll still be a joke.

Heh...but seriously, I'd murder the bad guys. And people pissing me off.

Can I get rain checks? Like if I kill 10 people in one day, am I sweet for the next 10 years?

Can I get the powers to then use to kill?

Also, I've heard that the first kill is the hardest. After that it gets easier.

Or so I've heard.

/Redundant

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked