53.1% (370)
No
46.2% (322)
46.2% (322)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Immortality, with a catch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

SlaveNumber23:
You have uniquely been granted the opportunity to become immortal, your body will cease to age beyond its peak physical condition and you will gain strong telekinetic powers.

However, there is a catch. To gain immortality you must first murder a person. Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year. You cannot pay or persuade someone else to commit the murder for you and you cannot set up a trap to kill your victim, you must directly and personally end their life. Killing someone with a terminal illness or who is over 80 does not count.

Would you selfishly rob someone of their life to extend your own and gain power? Converting many potential years of another persons life into a single year of your own? How would you use your power? Would you help the innocent and weak in an attempt to relieve you of your guilt or would you embrace the immorality of your human sacrifices and rule the world as a tyrant? Discuss

Honestly? I would take a trip through town a telepathically kill a thousand random people just so I'm paid up for the next thousand years.

Then in the future I would probably take a train trip around the country and telepathically kill a million random bystanders in the cities I pass just so I'm paid up for another million years in case humans become rare in the future and I end up having trouble feeding my immortality.

I'd become a super-powered Dexter Morgan, and eventually I would establish a cult. I'm sure people would be willing to follow and worship a vigilante serial killer with longevity and telekinesis.

Oh, so I can choose when to die by not killing someone for a year?

Sure totally sign me up.

succundo:
i would use my power to hunt down and live off the deaths of people like Kony, or whoever the dictator in syria is right now.

If I run out of supervillans to murder then there are always the freaking somalian pirates.

That's the best thing about this "immortality". If you can't find anyone who deserves death one year... you can choose not to kill, and die secure in the (very personal and subjective) knowledge that you've done all you could to make the world a better place.
Honestly, how many people get to experience that?

Goofguy:

Erja_Perttu:

SlaveNumber23:
Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year.

Well, that's not immortality then, is it? You don't extend immortality. It's just an extended lifespan dependent on some very immoral logistics.

My thoughts exactly when I first read this. It's not immortality, it's just killing one person at a time to increase your lifespan by one year.

It's too easy to say yes to this outright. So one of the things stopping people from committing murder right now is that there's no promise of one more year of life? Is anyone considering that it may actually be pretty hard to kill hardened criminals and gang members? Or how about the moral implications?

No, I would not accept immortality under these conditions.

Joining the army would probably help you out with that whole "being hard to kill gangsters" thing while the moral implications are thrown out the window if you're doing it for what you believe is right.

And hell, we're never short of tyrannical dictators to kill lately. But I agree on your first two sentences. Its not immortality, especially if this world goes tits up at some point. Hell, live long enough, you wouldn't even be killing humans anymore, we'd have evolved, what then?

I'm pretty sure by 'body' he meant your physical self. Your brain would be fine.

I'd probably start good, then once I stopped caring about all the killing im doing I would kill anyone getting in my way (Police trying to prevent me from killing criminals) then probably (Military trying to prevent me from killing policement) And once that rampage is going on well, im already evil arent I? xD.

Not sure if this has been asked already, but can I only kill one person per year? Or could I say, gun down a hundred people in one go and not bother killing anyone else for the next 100 years. Basically, can I bank my kills and if so, do I get a bulk discount. Say, kill 100 people and get 110 years back?

ElPatron:

Mortai Gravesend:
Eh, I don't even need to worry about the moral aspects of it, I don't think I could get away with it for very long without being caught and locked up.

You underestimate how easy it is to create conflicting evidence.

A lot of murders have never been solved, add conflicting evidence and it's borderline impossible.

CODE-D:
But the police would catch and I know Id be in jail for at least a year -_-!
kinda negates the point.

Murder gets you a lot more than a year in all the countries I can think of.

On the plus side, there are countries where you can murder 300 people and only get 25 years in prison.

Yeah that was my point, I only gain a year so whats the point if Im locked up for more than that.

TheVioletBandit:

Secret world leader (shhh):
I'll just move to america and become an exicutioner. Did i win?

Most states have done away with the death penalty, and others that haven't never use it...besides Texas. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if everything you guys know about the US you've learned from movies?

Everything i know about the US comes from the internet and modern studies. And i was thinking of Texas when i wrote that :)

My superhero name would be "The Janitor".

That's a yes.

CODE-D:
Yeah that was my point, I only gain a year so whats the point if Im locked up for more than that.

1. Kill several people
2. Create conflicting evidence
3. If you get caught, run. You're immortal.
4. If they lock you up even though you have telekinesis, do it in a country with a max sentence, and wait patiently while you enjoy not growing old.
5. ????
6. PROFIT!

dogstile:

Goofguy:
snip

Joining the army would probably help you out with that whole "being hard to kill gangsters" thing while the moral implications are thrown out the window if you're doing it for what you believe is right.

Funny you should mention that, I am in the army. It's not my job to kill gangsters and it's not a fair generalization to consider us all to be hardened killing machines.

If you believe killing criminals to extend your lifespan is right, all the power to you. I'll just never be convinced to do so.

I highly doubt I'd be able to get away with the first killing if I did commit to this idea of 'immortality so Im saying no. Unless there was some dark system in place that would conceal the proof of my involvement in the killings, then I think I would give it ago........and sadly I know exactly who I would make my first victims to gain the extra years

fuck fighting in a war for petty governments, i'd simply kill anyone who got in my way.

Depending on how efficiently you think charity money can be spent, I'm probably already murdering a child every time I upgrade my computer. So yeah, of course I'll go for this.

I wouldn't try becoming particularly superheroic or supervillainous, I'd just live a pretty chill life, while being immortal, and occasionally kill people. Since forensic technology is likely to advance quite a bit, I'd probably have to get plenty of murders in pretty early to make sure that I have a head start (if I can live 200 years, by age 150 I'll be in a position of power and able to cover things up).

Although I'm not sure if this actually counts as immortality, because, you know, it ends unless you sustain it. Not sure what the technically correct phrase would be, though.

Oh, also, would I die when my time runs out, or would I just become mortal again? (Since I expect science to discover immortality in the next few centuries, even if it's not within my lifetime, and the non-murderey kind would be preferable).

Goofguy:

dogstile:

Goofguy:
snip

Funny you should mention that, I am in the army. It's not my job to kill gangsters and it's not a fair generalization to consider us all to be hardened killing machines.

If you believe killing criminals to extend your lifespan is right, all the power to you. I'll just never be convinced to do so.

For your first point, I wasn't generalizing, I was assuming if someone joined up under this whole immortality thing to kill people, they'd try to join a combat regiment. Failing that (because hell, I don't know how the army works) I hear America has many places to learn how to shoot. Many options of learning how to make it easier to kill said gangsters.

Second point: Fair enough, I wasn't really trying to convince you and I doubt i'd do it (living to the point where everyone I know was dead so long ago I hardly remember them? Fate worse than death).

arm me up and send me to Africa, i am now a gun for hire for a African warlord, let the fun begin.

I have a feeling (or rather "hope that I'm not surrounded by despicable selfish sociopaths") a lot of people just read the poll and not the opening post. Jesus Christ, people.

I'd do it even without the telekinetic powers, I'd move to somewhere like Africa or India, go on a killing spree in some village where nobody will ever notice until it's too late - then come back home with 300 years of life under my belt.
In that time I'll make myself rich and powerful, then when the 300 years is up I'll be able to call up sacrifices by paying off family's or just kidnapping people.

Hey. It's immortality - may as well make the best of it!

All for Tyrant!
Renegade 4 Life!

Seneschal:
I have a feeling (or rather "hope that I'm not surrounded by despicable selfish sociopaths") a lot of people just read the poll and not the opening post. Jesus Christ, people.

Frankly, i cannot speak for the others but being a riflemen was the only thing i was good at, if i could earn years of my life by doing what i am good at you can bet i would get involved someplace where i could, be it working for a government taking out terrorists or allying with a government in exile in Africa taking care of the current dictator.

I'd go for it, but only for a while. True immortality doesn't really sound appealing to me, so I'd just extend the whole shebang for about 200-300 years by killing criminals to master whatever skills I fancy (Think about how awesome a guitar player you'll be after 200 years of practice!), then allow myself to become mortal again and die a nice, natural death at age 85, living in luxury from the masses of wealth that I have accumulated over the past few centuries.
Sure, it's selfish, even if I only kill criminals, but I'd still do it.

Also, the masses of wealth shall be used to finance the development of a real, working Lightsaber. If I get telekinesis, I'll damn well be a Jedi.

Keoul:
Heh I think after too long people would start to look like your avatar OP.

Question about it though, would abortion doctors live forever?

You can hardly call a small lump of cells a living person, now can you?

DeepReaver:

Seneschal:

Frankly, i cannot speak for the others but being a riflemen was the only thing i was good at, if i could earn years of my life by doing what i am good at you can bet i would get involved someplace where i could, be it working for a government taking out terrorists or allying with a government in exile in Africa taking care of the current dictator.

Unless 52.7% of this forum consists of riflemen, then a lot of people are overestimating their ability and willingness to take another life.

... Yeah, yeah I probably would. No, I don't think it's right or justified at all, but realistically I'd do it anyway. The things I do already get other living things killed inadvertently and indirectly. I might as well have to look my victims in the eye.

besides, I imagine I could probably find a healthy supply of people more than deserving of death. They might as well serve a purpose. But I'm not gonna pretend I wouldn't do it anyway

No I would not. For one, as said previously, killing someone to extend your life is not immortality. And two, immortality is over rated. You'll never be able to enjoy life because say if you kill 100,000 people and thus live for 100,000 years, it would appear that human beings are exploding in and out of existence. Your perception of time wold be so greatly distorted, that a moment for you would be an entire lifetime for a regular, less-immortal person. Your brain is not adjusted to be able to pick up and retain knowledge pass a regular lifetime, so anyone you meet you'll almost instantly forget. And finally, in the end, you are not immortal at all. I can say with great certainty that you will get stuck or trapped somewhere (say, in the rubble of a collapsed building?) and you will eventually die because you could not meet your annual death quota. It's not always the rubble of buildings is cleared, eventually rescue forces will just up and say "good 'nuff" and leave and rebuild over the trash. You will be apart of that trash. And lets say, by some slim chance you don't get bored and managed to live the full duration of the sun. It will go supernova, all humans will die (except for you of coarse) and you will be left, spinning throughout the void of space. Left eventually to die because you couldn't kill anymore humans to extend your life.

tl;dr version: No.

So there's my answer.

never said who it has to be,
lethal injections!

Excellent, where do i sign up? ^.^

SlaveNumber23:
However, there is a catch. To gain immortality you must first murder a person. Every time you murder someone your immortality will be extended by 1 year. You cannot pay or persuade someone else to commit the murder for you and you cannot set up a trap to kill your victim, you must directly and personally end their life. Killing someone with a terminal illness or who is over 80 does not count.

That's not immortality then, so it's not a catch, it's a totally different concept.

And it would be too easy, just join the military.

Yes, of course I would. It's the perfect deal: immortality, power AND a way out of the deal if you so choose. Killing people is no big issue, you just have to find proper victims (criminals and such) and with TK powers... let's just say that with TK and intimate knowledge of human anatomy you can kill people without leaving any trace.

I probably would open a euthanasia clinic, and when I feel life getting boring go out with a bang.
Literally.

yeah i'd sign that contract, i'd make the world a better place, if that means a few undesirables have to be eradicated then well, that's a price the rest of the planet and i will have to pay, even if it costs them their lives and me my sanity and most likely my life too, i'm assuming elf like immortality not immorality like never age and invunerable to every ailment etc till the end of time

Seneschal:

DeepReaver:

Seneschal:

Unless 52.7% of this forum consists of riflemen, then a lot of people are overestimating their ability and willingness to take another life.

Very very true, but a lot of people being asked this question are probably gamers, getting strange sense of what your natural psychological limitations are seems to be a common side effect of video games in which you take life.

Seneschal:

DeepReaver:

Seneschal:

Very very true, but a lot of people being asked this question are probably gamers, getting strange sense of what your natural psychological limitations are seems to be a common side effect of video games in which you take life.

Yes. I have a deep seated hatred for most people, I don't know why, maybe I'm insane. So killing people to extend my life would be no problem, in fact I would probably go on a killing spree to extend my life by 25-50 years.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked