9.7% (32)
10(Hellfire)
21.9% (72)
21.9% (72)
no spicy foods for me
8.8% (29)
8.8% (29)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: How high is your spice tolerance? Can you take the heat?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

For me my spice tolerance is pretty low even though I eat a lot Indo-Pak food I don't mind a little heat but if too much it just ruins my food and tastebuds.

But thankfully I never get the feeling that my anus is on fire if I have to take a dump afterwards like most other people.

I'm guessing everyone else can handle super spicy foods or can't stand them at all. And I wonder who handle heat better Men or Women?

I actually can't cope with spicy food at all. Sometimes mild is too hot for me, which is really depressing.
Spicy curries always look really good but my taste buds are pansies.

Nothing too extreme, but a little pepper here and there. My first own recipe I invented as a student was something jokingly named spaghetti spice terror; spaghetti, tabasco (red) sauce and black pepper.

Jalapeño peppers in the form of chunks put on food instead of grinded up are about the limit of what's still enjoyable for me.

It's hotter than what most people I know will eat, but apparently still quite mild on the scale of hotness of peppers.

probably 3/4 out of ten

I don't like overly spicy foods.. I like spice as a flavour enhancer, not a tastebud killer.

I give myself a 3-4 because I do like minorly spicy foods that enhance flavour while still being hit,, like pepper.

Well this:

Is a key ingredient in most things I cook (pasta, curries etc). So the bottle tells me 20/20...? 10 it is then.

I chew chili pepper chunks whenever I have a cold to relieve it. Used to do fishermans friend but those didn't have the kick after a while.

I love hot foods, everything is better when it's spicier for me. My parents are also huge fans of spicy foods and we always grew and cooked with lots of chile peppers when I was growing up, so I have a pretty high tolerance. I love going to chile pepper festivals and trying out all the different hot sauces and foods; the only place I draw the line is when it starts getting into the "weaponized" range. I want to enjoy my food, not become ill from it v:

Colour-Scientist:
I actually can't cope with spicy food at all. Sometimes mild is too hot for me, which is really depressing.

Yeah, pretty much this. I think the only thing I can handle is a Korma. Which is a shame because I live near a nice curry place. I can't do with peppers either, yuck.
I'm such a weakling >.<

Generally prefer my food with a bit of kick to it, usually at about what most places would call "medium" level

I have eaten and can handle very spicy items, from raw habaneros to incredibly hot sauces like the one Jinjo displayed, but don't particularly enjoy them for a regular repast, it just drowns out all other flavor well before that point.

I have a strong preference to spicy foods or spicy flavouring.
I cannot, however, stand sweet things.

When i was younger i could handle anything (practically) I used to LOVE Cajun food! Now, be older not so much, but i still love my food with a little kick.

I'm Mexican and live in México high spice tolerance is required, so I would say probably a 9/10 because though I can eat pretty much everything that's spicy I still get way too eh... how do you say enchilado in English? well I still feel like I'm on fire, still there's nothing that's too spicy for me to eat.

I'm pretty bad with spice.

I only ever really ate non-spicy food growing up (Had my first curry at 18), so I'm not used to it.
I can handle medium curries, but I do sometimes feel the need to put cheese on them to handle it. (I know people might go `cheese and curry?!` but it works).

I can handle some pretty dman hot food, and, if I can get away with it, I usually cook with jalepenos to give it that kick to make bland food lively.

I can go up in curry, but not the ridiculously hot stuff, my mouth refuses to tolerate that.

Grew up with spicy food for most of my life. Not really sure why people react to things like Indian food with a resounding "It twists my insides and burns my soul" attitude.

Probably the spiciest food I've ever had was Thai and I specifically told them to make it as spicy as possible not realizing they actually had access to REAL spices. I couldn't feel my tongue for a few hours after that meal.

I have a pretty low tolerance for spice. Masala is about as hot as I'll go on the curry scale. My Dad loves spicy food, but he overestimates how much his tastebuds can take- I remember the one time, he'd declared us all wimps for not being able to eat a meal he'd made. He took one mouthful, eyes bulging, and legged it straight to the water tap. We've never, ever let him forget it.

I grown my own chilies, i grow birds eye chilies, i have cooked with them before, but eating then raw is horrible and i won't do it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_eye_chili

I love spicy foods. If something isn't already spicy and the flavor doesn't otherwise clash with the dish, I tend to request that it be added. My only limit is when it begin hitting pain threshold territory. I want to enjoy my food, not endure it. I generally handle it well enough, but it's not something I go out of my way to order or make.

To be quite honest, I should get out of the kitchen.

I've never experienced bathroom problems after eating spicy food. (Well, I do get sort of gassy, but it doesn't hurt or anything.)

I have an above average tolerance for scoville units, but I'm not one of those hardcore guys.
I actually have a bag of dried Bhut jolokia (Until recently considered the strongest chili in existence) lying in my spice shelf though. Pretty sweet.
I tried eating a bit of it raw right after buying it. It was surprisingly mild, but my stomach apparently couldn't handle it, which was crappy since I was on a vacation in London at the time and was walking around the city. You can imagine how pleasant that was.

More than actually eating chili myself, I enjoy convincing others to try it.

This thread prompted me to make a bowl of ramen with half a teaspoon of ghost chili (but jolokia) added.
Currently sweating, and my lips hurt.
I'm not too bothered by the immedeate effects, but I'm afraid my stomach might not be able to handle this. I wouldn't want to end up with a case of the shits.

I enjoy food when it is spicy as can be without impugning upon the flavor of the dish. I chose a 7, but I've never tried anything obscenely hot for the sake of burning a hole in one's stomach.

Colour-Scientist:

agreed, can't eat curry, it hurts!
But my hubby recently ordered a pizza with jalapeno's and I munched through that...
maybe the cheese calmed it down!

I've eaten habaneros raw.

Err maybe 3 or 6? I mean I used to can't handle the spices but these days it seen I can handle it abit more.
Last Christmas me and my relative went to a take away for order currys which is somewhat is the first time I order for curry (sure I had curry before but not the ones that has several different types). It came to a suprise that I can eat it without any serious problem (ok granted they didn't specificly order the very hot stuff), heck I found the spicy pizza to be more spicy than the curry itself!

Mixed bag. Mustard (the spicy stuff), wasabi, ginger and black pepper? My tolerance is infinite, and I really like each of those.

Chili? Medium to low tolerance, and I thoroughly dislike it.

putowtin:

agreed, can't eat curry, it hurts!
But my hubby recently ordered a pizza with jalapeno's and I munched through that...
maybe the cheese calmed it down!

jalapeno peppers can be a mix bag sometimes they are hot and sometimes their not

I used to eat meals prepared with Daves Gourmet Insanity sauce, which is rated at 180,000 on the scoville scale.

Tabasco is 2500.........yes, I can take hot foods!!

Level 7.

I can eat curry pretty well, but especially spicy food? I struggle.

ForgottenPr0digy:
Snip

Oh, by the way OP.
Here's a nice list you might like.
http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

LooK iTz Jinjo:
Well this:

Is a key ingredient in most things I cook (pasta, curries etc). So the bottle tells me 20/20...? 10 it is then.

What a coincidence, I use that all the time aswell. Delicious it is, and delicious it will always be.

How high is MY spice tolerance?

Well growing up with an Irish/German family I didn't eat much spicy food as a child, however since moving out I have found a love for Thai and Indian foods. Thus far I can say as long as it has a good flavor I have no issues with spicy foods. I have had some Thai curries that literally made me sweat through 2 layers of clothing with no ill effects on my mouth or posterior regions. At the same time, I find some "competition heat foods" bother me. It isn't because it is any more or less "hot" than the flavorful spicy foods, it is because I don't enjoy the flavor. Because I don't enjoy the flavor I don't have the drive to keep eating and lose my appetite soon thereafter. I am going to say 9, just because heat without flavor is just punishment for no cause.

(To be more clear on heat levels, I can eat a habenero right off the plant, but I can't handle a ghost chilli)

Born with it :)

Thai food FTW

My meals aren't properly made unless my nose is dribbling and my tongue is in pain by the end of it, so, pretty high. I can only just barely stand having habaneros in my food, though.

I voted 8. While I really do enjoy spicy food, I still have my limits. Indian food especially knows how to test my limits.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked