A Question about the future legends of music..

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The voice of Tom Waits, The Beard of Billy Gibbons, The Talent of Hendrix, The Attitude of Jim Morrison, The Narcotic capacity of Keith Richards, The Style of Lennon and the self preservation instincts of Keith Moon........by these powers combined, he is THE LORD ALMIGHTY OF ROCKSTARS!!!

Slightly more on topic, what musicians of today do you think will be considered "Legends" in the future?

Will Tom Morello be the next generations Hendrix? Frank Turner the new Bob Dylan?

Lady Gaga will be the future's, either Madonna, or Chair... Share? Chaire? I have no idea how to spell her name. Other than that, It's hard to tell. I mean, just look at Justin Beiber, who would he be? This generation's popular music talents are all over the board, and being that I'm no music nut, I only know the most popular ones. And if I don't know of any future legends other than Lady Gaga, there's a bit of a problem.

There won't be any legends in future if the music industry keeps up its obsession with quick cash-ins...

Goremocker:
Lady Gaga will be the future's, either Madonna, or Chair... Share? Chaire? I have no idea how to spell her name. Other than that, It's hard to tell. I mean, just look at Justin Beiber, who would he be? This generation's popular music talents are all over the board, and being that I'm no music nut, I only know the most popular ones. And if I don't know of any future legends other than Lady Gaga, there's a bit of a problem.

Agreed with the Lady Gaga = Cher idea.

Also

Adele = Aretha Franklin

Jack White will most certainly be seen as this generations rock legend. There are a lot, but we have to realise there are many new genres in this generation, leading to many more legends of many different, specific genres.

But yes, Jack White for sure. In fact he is already seen as a legend of rock.

Kanye West, easily. His latest solo album wasn't considered the best album of the past ten years for all those critics health y'know. When your worst album (808s and Heartbreak, in this case) is still considered "very very good" by broader comparisons you know you're doing well.

As much as I hate it I also have to add Justin Vernon of Bon Iver as he seems to be making waves.

Despite a brief (but violent) initial wave of hate where he was put in league with Justin Bieber, Lil B has since become a sort of hip hop messiah for his abstract flow, prolific output and for basically inventing the Cloud Rap subgenre, generally considered by everyone ever to be fucking awesome.

Joanna Newsom, for obvious reasons. Don't even need to touch down on that one

Though he does nothing for me everyone seems to go nuts for Sufjan Stevens, I can objectively see the appeal there but again not my cuppa. Definitely sure he'll be remembered.

Janelle Monae would make a much better Aretha Franklin than Adele. Where Adele just sits and wallows in soul cliches that were old hat in the 70s Janelle Monae is just... just... Listen to The ArchAndroid. You'll see what I mean. She only seems to have an indie rock following for now but let's just give her time.

You really need to listen to the whole album. It's really something.

Kanye West and The Black Keys are the only ones I can think of. Kanye will be the bigger legend, wheras The Black Keys will be one of those decade powerhouse people

Xartyve2:

Janelle Monae would make a much better Aretha Franklin than Adele. Where Adele just sits and wallows in soul cliches that were old hat in the 70s Janelle Monae is just... just... Listen to The ArchAndroid. You'll see what I mean. She only seems to have an indie rock following for now but let's just give her time.

Also this, I can't stand Adele, it seems like half of her songs are her screeching into the microphone. And Janelle Monae is amazing, I heard her at the ESPY's like a year or two ago, and man has she got a voice

I know he's not exactly modern, but I think Trent Reznor will go down in history. Especially with his recent work on SPECTACULAR film OST's combined with Nine Inch Nails.

I think Wing will be known as the last great rocker.

There are no words.

The reality is that musicians of the modern era simply aren't standing the test of time. I think part of the problem is that cult personality is becoming too important with the media and today's musicians. Sure we've got our legendary individuals from an age gone by, but honestly their respective bands were always more important than they were.

You don't see many bands in the mainstream anymore, just individual personalities surrounded by musicians.

That will change as you get older. Have the same attitude your parents did and start to think that new music sucks. Everyone that thinks these guys will stand the test of time will change their minds when they are in their 40's.

I assume that Beiber will be a legend in about 10 years.

I don't know... I don't like any of much of today's music and what I do like isn't legend material.
I find listening to music from whatever game I'm playing to be better then anything else that I can find without specifically searching for it.
I am happy to use Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 as my Ipod.

Shivarage:
There won't be any legends in future if the music industry keeps up its obsession with quick cash-ins...

always been the case

Regnes:
The reality is that musicians of the modern era simply aren't standing the test of time. I think part of the problem is that cult personality is becoming too important with the media and today's musicians. Sure we've got our legendary individuals from an age gone by, but honestly their respective bands were always more important than they were.

You don't see many bands in the mainstream anymore, just individual personalities surrounded by musicians.

RaffB:
The voice of Tom Waits, The Beard of Billy Gibbons, The Talent of Hendrix, The Attitude of Jim Morrison, The Narcotic capacity of Keith Richards, The Style of Lennon and the self preservation instincts of Keith Moon........by these powers combined, he is THE LORD ALMIGHTY OF ROCKSTARS!!!

Slightly more on topic, what musicians of today do you think will be considered "Legends" in the future?

Will Tom Morello be the next generations Hendrix? Frank Turner the new Bob Dylan?

I think that the music industry changing has somthing to do with it

crappy pop or music in general has always been around..always will, anyone who honestly belives otherwise is deluding themselfs, genres go through cycles of popularity

anyway, my point with the internet and such its possible to have access to more obscure music than ever before...whats "popular" no longer has to be a huge factor in music....

Shawn MacDonald:
That will change as you get older. Have the same attitude your parents did and start to think that new music sucks. Everyone that thinks these guys will stand the test of time will change their minds when they are in their 40's.

for once I actually agree with you..give this man a chocolate chip cookie because he's said what some people dont seem to be able to get

Justin Bieber, Lady Gage, Britney, the stars of Glee...

The people who get remembered are usually the most famous people of their generation, except for one or two who get found after their deaths. Which means that the only people who could possibly be the legends of the future are the people who this forum takes such glee in attacking.

Like how we remember acts like the BeeGees and Madonna. You don't think there were angry Led Zeppelin fans in the 80s going 'what happened to good music? This overly processed pop stuff is absolute crap, it will never catch on, bring back old rock! I listen exclusively to obscure 50s influenced rock and rollers.'

People don't change. In twenty years you'll be deriding the stuff your children listen to, and in another twenty years they'll be doing the same to their kids, regardless of the actual quality or not of the songs themselves.

Adultism:
I assume that Beiber will be a legend in about 10 years.

[Insert generic Bieber hate comment here]

OT: Not sure who really, I don't listen to any of the stuff in the charts. I'm more of a rock/metal person.

Legends are a thing of the past, not present or future...

... yeah, that was totally made to sound more deep than it actuality was ^^

On a more serious note. It's up to time to decide, legend status isn't granted for how big or significant people are now, but for how big and significant they continue to be over an extended amount of time. If we could assign "future legend status", then we'd have access to information regarding a person that would mean we could assign them legend status as well.

We could always place bets and make qualified guesses, which is kind of fun, but there's no way of deducing it based on what we know about musicians today.

Oh, and Frank Turner, not the next Bob Dylan. I mean, no disrespect towards the guy, I kind of enjoy his music (or at least what I've heard of it), but simply being a singer with a guitar doesn't put you on the same level as Bob Dylan :P

Muse are a shoe-in to be legends of the future.

smithy_2045:

Agreed, even if you hate their stuff, Matt Bellamy is probably the most talented musician of his generation that bothered to remember music should also be melodic and not just ten minutes of you showing everyone how good you are at scales.

Vault101:

I think that the music industry changing has somthing to do with it

crappy pop or music in general has always been around..always will, anyone who honestly belives otherwise is deluding themselfs, genres go through cycles of popularity

I knew somebody would say this eventually, while it's true that we tend to look back on the past a little more fondly than we should, it cannot be denied that the quality has met a steep decline in the past while, maybe the last 5 years, I haven't kept close tabs on it all.

There's very little singing, very little instrumentals, and the focus is usually more on how quirky a song is. Then there's autotune, it's always been a handy little tool for people who actually have talent, helping adjust the occasional missed pitch and tone. Now it's basically the talk into the microphone and we'll make a song out of it tool.

That robotic sounding touch to voices you hear in virtually every popular song, that's the sum of a person with no talent and autotune, and it's trendy, by god it is very trendy. It's trendy to have no fucking talent, go put on some funky wig, some absurd makeup and dress like an alien, now go shout into the mic, you may suck but you're oh so quirky, here's 10 million dollars.

EDIT:

That being said, I do actually think Lady Gaga is talented, even if the wrong focus is applied to her work. She might stand the test of time, who knows.

Pop tends to get forgotten and the defining musical genre of the generation's finest will be remembered.
So I think it will be the Hip Hop originators who will be the next musicians considered legends.
If i'm wrong and it turns out to be the untalented Lada Fucking Gagas of the world, shoot me

rob_simple:

smithy_2045:

Agreed, even if you hate their stuff, Matt Bellamy is probably the most talented musician of his generation that bothered to remember music should also be melodic and not just ten minutes of you showing everyone how good you are at scales.

I agree, Bellamy is amazing, seeing him live was great! but I think Omar Rodríguez-López beats him hands down

Question: exactly what era of music are we talking about? How old does something have to be for us to start discussing its status as a "legend" or not?

I'd argue that Mastodon will be pretty legendary in the metal community.

Tipsy Giant:

rob_simple:

smithy_2045:

I agree, Bellamy is amazing, seeing him live was great! but I think Omar Rodríguez-López beats him hands down

I'm only familiar with the one Mars Volta song, I've found them quite difficult to get into. Is there anything you'd recommend?

rob_simple:

I'm only familiar with the one Mars Volta song, I've found them quite difficult to get into. Is there anything you'd recommend?

Best gig of my life, they are the true heirs to the prog rock genre, King Crimson would be proud

Well, I'd really really like to say Nightwish but I just don't think they're quite mainstream enough to be remembered by anyone but the people who were big enough fans to go look for their music by themselves (seeing as they never come up on the radio and you have to know what you're looking for on digital mediums like itunes).

I'm not really a fan of rap, hip-hop or pop (as a general rule) so a lot of the more 'visible' modern music isn't really up my alley (yes, my hipster neckbeard is growing in quite nicely, thanks for asking) and as a result I don't feel qualified to say who's going to live on and who isn't.

I will say though that thanks to the internet I can at least be comfortable with the fact that I'll always be able to find the music I do like.

EDIT: Hold on, I just remembered: John Williams, Hans Zimmer, etc. They'll be remembered if for no other reason than for being tied to damn good products.

Xartyve2:
Kanye West, easily. His latest solo album wasn't considered the best album of the past ten years for all those critics health y'know. When your worst album (808s and Heartbreak, in this case) is still considered "very very good" by broader comparisons you know you're doing well.

I can agree completely. I love Janelle Monae and definitly agree that Kayne will stand the test of time. Though honestly i hope its more as a producer rather then a rapper.

As for future legends I honestly think that for this new generation Tyler the Creator will stand up as a future artist to stand the test of time. I paint him with the same brush as Eminem though I find Tyler much more talented.

Lady Gaga will probably be remembered as the pop-star of our era. Beyoncé and Rihanna doesn't have the same personality but might be remembered for very long and consistent careers.

The ruling hip-hop kings Kanye, Jay-Z and Eminem (Jay-Z arguably already is a ledgend) will be credited for bringing quality rap into the public conciousness.

I'm not very familiar with rock so i'll leave that to someone else.

People like Tiesto, Deadmau5, David Guetta and the guys from Swedish House Mafia are already ledgendary in their own sub-culture and if house music continues conquering the world they might very well be the next icons.

I suspect we are going to see some dubstep producers in the future too, but the only real star it has so far is Skrillex and people seem to be very divided on him.

clipse15:

As for future legends I honestly think that for this new generation Tyler the Creator will stand up as a future artist to stand the test of time. I paint him with the same brush as Eminem though I find Tyler much more talented.

Really? I'm not trying to pick a fight but considering Em's near mythical rhyming skills, multiple classic albums, massive influence on the technical aspects of rap and the fact that he opened up the genre to a new audience of millions that seems a very bold claim to make. And i like Tyler, i should add.

Beck = the new Bob Dylan.

I'm ashamed of you Escapist, a thread about the future legends of rock and there's no mention of Dave Grohl??

To summarize this thread, the future music legends are going to be the weirder acts and the smaller acts that nobody has really heard of today, but whose music will stand the test of time. We're looking at acts like Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Adele, and Lady Gaga. I have a feeling the teenagers of the 2020s are going to be to these groups as the teens of the 2000's were to Nirvana; a wave of people who have heard every recording being told by the people who actually lived through the era "no, the music really wasn't all that good, and Nirvana wasn't really that big. The big acts were teenie boppers like Brittany Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Jewel, and boy bands like NSync, the Backstreet boys, and Hanson. I wouldn't look any of them up if you value your ears."

Kasabian will be this generations Rolling Stones.

RaffB:

Goremocker:

Agreed with the Lady Gaga = Cher idea.

Also

Adele = Aretha Franklin

You mean Adele = That great food overdose tragedy...?

Sorry... I cant stand the woman... music is ok, but she sucks as a person!

U2 will probably be remembered for a long time...

What i'd like to know is when there will be the first electronic artist that will be remembered! I wonder if people will all know Daft Punk, or Deadmau5 in years to come!

Oh there's not going to be any more legends. They're done.

Like the ancient Viking kings of yore, the time of music legends have come and gone. All that can be good has been made and the only upside is that the late 50s to the late 70's contain enough music for a human lifetime to enjoy so you never have to look ahead for a good record to listen to. Just look back.

I'm surprised that everyone's talking about the Unpopular Pop Artists of today. I won't talk about them because they've been talked about enough.

Instead, here are 2 good groups I think will be good legends:

MGMT Will become a new Super group; similar to The Beatles, Metallica, and Pink Floyd, You could almost see the signs of that happening already. They will also be responsible for a new serge of Psychedelic Rock, at least for a short while.

David Mathews and the David Mathews Band will become the next Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Queen or better known Frank Zappa of his/their time; they will be good at music that's already been established, while keeping it innovative and current.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked