New OS apparently created by Anonymous

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17381214

Would you trust a piece of software that has been created by this loosely-connected group?

Personally, I wouldn't.

I'd trust it to include hidden code that would allow them to easily bot my computer whenever they wanted to.

No, I would not trust it at all.

It's not really a new operating system, however. It's just an open-source Linux skin with several script kiddie-friendly programs pre-installed. Not a bad idea per-se, the problem is what else has been slid in alongside it? Trojans and loggers reporting back to "home"? Who made it anyhow, just a fan thing or something more nefarious such as a government agency hungry for more naive teenage blood?

I don't think you can fairly call this Anonymous' OS.

To trust anything made or modified by them is just insanity.

Huh, based on Ubuntu.

I love how they say there are no virus on FOSS software, haha! That's only true if you have a community checking said code for virus.

I would suggest anyone even slightly interested in Anons OS, use BackTrack instead. All the features (if not many more) without all the possibility of anon riddling it with virus and malicious software.

Yeah, won't be touching that with anything shorter than a ten foot pole. Sorry Anon, I don't trust a damn thing you say.

Seriously, that's like founding a company called Ponzi Investments and expecting people to actually do business with you.

I would like to buy a really cheap, crap computer and use it ... just to see what it is like, maybe they would get a kick out of looking at the computer and reading my specs or the sites I have visited.

On a serious note, that wouldn't go near my computer!

Anonops has disowned it and claimed it's full of viruses, it wouldn't surprise me if Anonnet (who actually kicked Anonops off of their IRC channel because Anonops likes to break the law a bit too much) have too. This wasn't made by capital A Anonymous; this is the product of a lower case a anonymous asshole. Well, that or something more sinister, like the Russian mob. I hear they're the ones who did the majority of the hacking on the PS3 a while back; Lulzsec proved it was possible without stealing anything, and then they moved in because Sony took too long to fix the vulnerability.

Just to illustrate how much technical knowledge it actually took them to make this thing, one guy also customised an OS from exactly what they've done, and made it far superior.

But yeah, I wouldn't touch that thing without sandboxing it in VMware or something first. The potential for malicious scripts is quite high, and Ubuntu does what they've done better.

Esotera:
Just to illustrate how much technical knowledge it actually took them to make this thing, one guy also customised an OS from exactly what they've done, and made it far superior.

But yeah, I wouldn't touch that thing without sandboxing it in VMware or something first. The potential for malicious scripts is quite high, and Ubuntu does what they've done better.

It's so beautiful. Where can I download the ISO? I'm ditching Ubuntu immediately. (I really love how the applications button is the Hannah Montana symbol)

BotNet OS, anyone?

Not touching it with a thirty foot pole. I've got Xubuntu on this thing and windows 7 on my PC and I'm fine with them. I don't trust Anon enough to put their stuff on my computers.

Mortai Gravesend:
Seriously, that's like founding a company called Ponzi Investments and expecting people to actually do business with you.

The sad thing is.....I bet you would find people who would invest with you. Just like there will be some people who will download this too

Lionsfan:

Mortai Gravesend:

The sad thing is.....I bet you would fine people who would invest with you. Just like there will be some people who will download this too

Too true. Especially since the article says 26k+ people have downloaded it already...

Because everyone wants to buy hen-house security designed by the foxes.

So... in other words, "internet-Azathoth" just up and ripped off a piece of its amorphous form and offered it to you to use as a vessel.

I mean, [sarcasm]WHAT COULD GO WRONG??[/sarcasm]

Lionsfan:
/chop chop

Well, the ironic name might well make for a good marketing tool. It could work.

As for the anon reskin, I'd be tempted to download it if I was extremely familiar with Linux/Unbuntu (which I'm not) - just to have a poke around to see what the creator(s) have done.

Lucem712:

Esotera:

It's so beautiful. Where can I download the ISO? I'm ditching Ubuntu immediately. (I really love how the applications button is the Hannah Montana symbol)

I hope you have a clean pair of underpants ;)

You can get it on sourceforge, I think they distribute an iso but I'm not sure.

GoaThief:

Lionsfan:
/chop chop

Well, the ironic name might well make for a good marketing tool. It could work.

As for the anon reskin, I'd be tempted to download it if I was extremely familiar with Linux/Unbuntu (which I'm not) - just to have a poke around to see what the creator(s) have done.

You would probably have people overthinking it. "Ponzi Incorporated? Must be one of those ironic things everyones talking about", *loses all of their money*

Esotera:

Lucem712:

Esotera:

I hope you have a clean pair of underpants ;)

You can get it on sourceforge, I think they distribute an iso but I'm not sure.

Lordy, lordy. Linux is being used for such terrible things! Haha. I'm surprised they don't just skin cinnamon or Gnome3, seems a-lot less time consuming than skinning an OS (though maybe they have and I just haven't noticed)

I'd install it...

...On a virtual machine, or in an interpreter, or in a sandbox :)

Trolls be trolling anon
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401638,00.asp

Anonymous OS

Anonymous this week warned against downloading the new "Anonymous OS," suggesting it was full of malware that could harm your system and steal your personal information.

I'd install it..

But on a computer which is no longer in my possession (sold it for cheap), I wouldn't install it on my $1200 laptop :/

ITT: People don't understand that Anonymous releases tools so that kids with no experience can be part of raids.

krychek57:
Trolls be trolling anon

Anonymous OS

Anonymous this week warned against downloading the new "Anonymous OS," suggesting it was full of malware that could harm your system and steal your personal information.

Yeah, trolling doesn't mean what you think it means.

At most it's "identity" theft. Somewhat ironic since Anonymous aren't supposed to have an identity.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Anonops has disowned it and claimed it's full of viruses, it wouldn't surprise me if Anonnet (who actually kicked Anonops off of their IRC channel because Anonops likes to break the law a bit too much) have too. This wasn't made by capital A Anonymous; this is the product of a lower case a anonymous asshole. Well, that or something more sinister, like the Russian mob. I hear they're the ones who did the majority of the hacking on the PS3 a while back; Lulzsec proved it was possible without stealing anything, and then they moved in because Sony took too long to fix the vulnerability.

Thanks for the post, curiously in your first sentence you included more info than the article + the rest of this thread combined. It is also interesting to see how much people trust in sandboxing, seems most don't follow the hacking news.

Tanakh:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Thanks for the post, curiously in your first sentence you included more info than the article + the rest of this thread combined. It is also interesting to see how much people trust in sandboxing, seems most don't follow the hacking news.

No problem, I follow news about hackers the way most people follow football; it's a lot more entertaining. As for the information I posted, the part about Anonops actually was in the article. The anonnet comment was based on my own knowledge of how they operate; it's not like they have an official twitter feed.

ElPatron:
ITT: People don't understand that Anonymous releases tools so that kids with no experience can be part of raids.

krychek57:
Trolls be trolling anon

Anonymous OS

Yeah, trolling doesn't mean what you think it means.

At most it's "identity" theft. Somewhat ironic since Anonymous aren't supposed to have an identity.

I read it as Someone decides to release an "OS" cram it full of bad crap and then associate it with the Group Anonymous. To me that is trolling the group, but there is a solid IMO on that one.

Owyn_Merrilin:
No problem, I follow news about hackers the way most people follow football; it's a lot more entertaining.

I follow both scarcely, both are deeply complex phenomena that take a lot of insider knowledge to get past the surface and even more to appreciate the most subtle and sublime parts. Sadly nowdays i have lost track of both, too old and conservative to get into hacking and too fed up with the way football is sold, it is a very interesting strategy game, but they always highlight the cheerleaders, narrow camera views, near foul tackles... it is like seeing a SC II pro game where the view only lets you see 2 units at the time and then during the macro they focus korean groupie's boobs.

Hahaha, no.

I'm humble enough to admit I would have to do alot more reading to make good use of Linux.

But even I know enough to know that something's gotta give there. That's not to say Windows and Apple probably have extremely questionable access into my machine, but I know they have to go through alot more paperwork and legalities to screw up my machine than the makers of that OS.

...Like said above though I would happliy get one of the old crappy machines my father had sitting around the house and install it just for giggles and see what comes of it.

If anyone wants a linux distro that actually does what this release claims, search for Backtrack.

It's the superior choice for any wannabe hacker.

Yeah, for educational purposes only, stealing your neighbor's WiFi isn't cool at all, etc etc.

krychek57:
I read it as Someone decides to release an "OS" cram it full of bad crap and then associate it with the Group Anonymous. To me that is trolling the group, but there is a solid IMO on that one.

I twist my nose.

Stealing Gabe Newell's information and create a fake announcement that Half Life 3 is finishing developing stage would be *trolling* the Steam userbase, not Gabe.

I trust them to be scumbags, since scumbags can always be trusted to be scumbags.

this isnt good, especially after the whole "we will take down the internet" thing they are supposedly planning.......

Like the article mentioned, I'm surprised people wouldn't just use the Back Track Linux distro.

[qiote]The creators of the OS denied it was infected with viruses adding that, in the world of open-source software, "there were no viruses".[/quote]

Open-Source garbage cracks me up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked