Is it ok to kill yourself at 40 if you're bored of life?
Yes
45.1% (51)
45.1% (51)
No
33.6% (38)
33.6% (38)
Maybe
8% (9)
8% (9)
Other
13.3% (15)
13.3% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Should you be allowed to kill yourself when you reach 40?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Iain M. Banks has created a series of novels involving a hyper-advanced civilization called The Culture, who have technology so advanced, that along with a load of other cool things, they are effectively immortal.

Yet in this fictional universe, the majority of characters only have a lifespan of 300-400 years, because despite the unlimited resources & pleasure available to them, they get bored and no longer want to exist. These are people in a perfectly healthy state of mind, and who have enjoyed a long & interesting life - they aren't coerced into it one bit, and the death itself is painless. I feel that we're at a similar point in human civilisation - we work less, have more opportunities for exciting experiences, and have an artifically elongated lifespan. But suicide is almost universally looked down upon.

So the question is, do you believe that you should be able to kill yourself at 40, or any other age, simply because you're bored of existence? Please remember the two assumptions (that the reason the person wants to die is not related to health, and that there are various safeguards in place).

edit: ok means should this be legalised, sorry for any ambiguity.

My question is, how can you possibly be bored of life at 40? At that point people are still having children and grandchildren. There is so much out there to do in the world, how can you possible have done it all at 40?

I suppose if you really want to kill yourself that's your own choice. But killing yourself because you're bored? Maybe they need to get out and explore more.

I suppose yes, but it is stupid as hell. When you are bored, go out, give it all up and start / significantly aid a charity organisation. You can FIND something to dedicate your life to, and if you are bored, you have jack-shit to lose, so if it might kill, A-Okay, worth a try right?

Seriously, bad excuse :P

I hate to be a pedantic jerk about this, but you're going to have to describe "ok" to me for me to answer the poll question.

Okay as in legal? Okay as in ethical? Okay as in moral or spiritual?

Legally? I think you should be able to terminate your own life. Your body is your property. It is yours to do with as you will. If a woman can end the life of their unborn child because it's "their body" certainly everyone else should be able to end their own life because it's "their body."

Ethically/spiritually/morally? I think it's wrong to terminate your own life. Your life was given to you by God. By taking your own life you're spitting in the face of God and that's generally not a cool thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm Bi-Polar and, as such, frequently experience suicidal feelings and thoughts. Despite my feelings, though, I think it's wrong. But I also don't think the government should be able to stop you.

Does that make me weird?

Maybe move the bar up a bit. 60? Maybe 70. That's the age I've personally set as a suicide point. Although that is strongly related to me aging and my deteriorating health, so perhaps that violates the conditions of this scenario.

If I were to remain relatively healthy, say, staying as healthy as a 30 or 40 year old me, then I don't think I'd commit suicide solely from boredom. Even if it became a factor, there'd probably be a whole bunch of other, more serious, reasons making up the majority of my motivation.

You can kill yourself whenever you want, it's your life and nobody has the right to tell you what to do with it.

Lazier Than Thou:
I hate to be a pedantic jerk about this, but you're going to have to describe "ok" to me for me to answer the poll question.

Okay as in legal? Okay as in ethical? Okay as in moral or spiritual?

Legally? I think you should be able to terminate your own life. Your body is your property. It is yours to do with as you will. If a woman can end the life of their unborn child because it's "their body" certainly everyone else should be able to end their own life because it's "their body."

Ethically/spiritually/morally? I think it's wrong to terminate your own life. Your life was given to you by God. By taking your own life you're spitting in the face of God and that's generally not a cool thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm Bi-Polar and, as such, frequently experience suicidal feelings and thoughts. Despite my feelings, though, I think it's wrong. But I also don't think the government should be able to stop you.

Does that make me weird?

Sorry, I meant as in the legal right, I'll append that to the OP now. I feel pretty much the same, but think that if someone has a mental illness, then suicide should be stopped until they are treated to the point where the symptoms are pretty much gone.

Blackmagic1515:
My question is, how can you possibly be bored of life at 40? At that point people are still having children and grandchildren. There is so much out there to do in the world, how can you possible have done it all at 40?

I suppose if you really want to kill yourself that's your own choice. But killing yourself because you're bored? Maybe they need to get out and explore more.

Well I didn't necessarily mean 40, more just any age. I set it at 40 as there's no way this can devolve into a flamewar about euthanasia, but get your point. What sort of age would you start to get bored with the world, if at all?

brandon237:
I suppose yes, but it is stupid as hell. When you are bored, go out, give it all up and start / significantly aid a charity organisation. You can FIND something to dedicate your life to, and if you are bored, you have jack-shit to lose, so if it might kill, A-Okay, worth a try right?

Seriously, bad excuse :P

Fair enough. I'm just wondering how people could stand 80 years of that though, although I suppose it could go quite quickly. Would you feel the same if lifespan was hundreds of years?

Yes, obviously, it's your life, end of discussion.

That said, I think someone who kills themselves even at age 400 because they're "bored" is completely bugfuck insane. At 1,000, maybe, but four hundred years old? You're not done. You're hardly even started.

yes people should be allowed to, 40 is a bit young but the alternative is that people are going to do stupid stuff to kill themselves like jumping in front of a train or jump from a building.

Lazier Than Thou:
Snip

Even if God did exist, I wouldn't class suicide as "spitting in the face of God". You're forced into your life, and if you're not enjoying it, then how is it rude to your creator if you want to end it?
Surely God's in the wrong by preferring you to live in misery rather than achieve the sweet release of death.

mmm... positive vibes.

There any reason why 40 would be the magic number? Have to say that I can only understand that reasoning if your 18 years old. Everyone that isn't 20 yet thinks 27 and older is old age.

I think it's fairly stupid for it to ever be illegal. It's up to you how to live your life (limits of course being on ability and how much your screwing other people) and it should be up to you if you end it.

Apart from mental illnesses (including stuff like severe depression), I don't frankly care if someone offs himself. Not my place to decide what people want to do with themselves.

someone has seen too much futurama.

if you are bored, get a hobby.

and if we manage to have a lifespan of 300-400 in the future, we sure as hell have found a way to master space flight.

and you cannot live long enough to see all the planets in the universe or find unknown ones.

you will always find something to do. you just have to search for it.

I think it's stupid to kill yourself unless your in some serious pain. you wanna die because you're bored? don't see how being dead would be any better.

If you can square it with yourself and how it'll affect the people around you, it's your right to control, and end, your life.

werewolfsfury:
I think it's stupid to kill yourself unless your in some serious pain. you wanna die because you're bored? don't see how being dead would be any better.

Likewise, being dead isn't any better than being in pain, so even when it comes to serious pain it's stupid.

this question doesn't make any sense. you can kill yourself at any age. and the ok-ness of it has allways been out of our hands. getting "official sanction" from some equally ignorant third party wouldn't change anything. until we verify the state of post mortem consciousness processing, there's no way to confirm wether or not there's any additional consequences to the event beyond death. right now, it's all hypothesis.

Outside of the terminally ill, anyone willing to commit suicide is, by definition, not mentally stable.

So no.

I think suicide should be prevented.

Not against what people chose to do with their life, but if someone is about to jump from a building the authorities should try to stop the person.

Now, 40 years is too low. Perhaps if you live 300 years it *might* become boring.

I think the biggest motivator for death would be aging. Retaining health would allow you to experience a lot of stuff without stopping, but age really takes a toll on the body.

So your question is "should it be legal to kill yourself?"

I think a better question would be "Who's going arrest you when you're dead?"

I'm going to start off by saying that yes, I think if someone wants to die, it's their life, if they don't want it, fine, let's get our hands on some of them lovely organs. Although, there are things like societal and social obligations that one could probably bring up against it.

Although I would like to question your mentally ill statement. I would ask how you would define mentally ill. I'm sure it could be argued that wanting to die, and I don't just mean having some thoughts about it, I mean actually thinking 'It is time for me to die, definitely' could be a clear sign of someone not being of sound mind.

Also, I'd like to add a rule, if you do decide it's death time, you have to register with some suicide bureau and wait a month. Plenty of time to get your affairs in order, explain to loved ones why and make sure you're damned certain you want to die. Can't have people dropping off at random or on a whim. (of course, there's plenty of ways for them to do it whenever they feel, put I'm operating on ideals here).

People are always allowed to kill themselves, I don't get this whole keeping people alive against their will thing. Yeah, they might get better with your help but they wanted to die and who the fuck are you to deny them that?

Point being people should always have the option of killing themselves.

...Well, yes you should be allowed to, because of freedom and so forth. However, this shouldn't be a thing.

As Captcha says, "bacon & eggs".

No- a lot of people find themselves suffering from depression at 40; it's just one of those ages. "I can't believe I'm 40 my life is over", etc. If suicide was considered a completely normal thing to do at this age? We'd get a lot more people, otherwise perfectly capable of living happily for many years to come, taking that plunge.

I dislike the idea of suicide, anyway- most people have family, or friends, and to just up and kill yourself is, frankly, incredibly selfish. Obviously, there are circumstances in which I can completely understand it, but "Middle Aged" isn't one of them.

Other ages, you say? I have less of a problem with people doing this at, say, 70+. Quality of life has decreased dramatically by then, and it'd be easier for family to accept your death.

Yes - While 40 is an arbitrary age, I feel that suicide should not be a crime in our society. There are people with terminal illnesses who'd rather be put down then suffer until the end. I'm completely on board with suicide along those lines.

Random Joe of good health gets laid off at 40, becomes depressed that they can no longer live at an upper-middle class lifestyle and wants to off himself. A situation like that doesn't sit so well with me.

It's not your choice to make. It's not anyone's choice to make. If a person of any age, any gender, any creed wishes to do something to themselves then they should be allowed to, even if what they want to do is end their own life.

Also, your idea of regulations, no offense, but did you really think about it? If someone wants to off themselves they're going to off themselves, they're not going to wait a year or two for government approval.

Having said that though, do I think that we should stigmatize suicide as something that shouldn't be done? Yes, though people should be allowed to it doesn't mean it should be encouraged.

Something that has to be kept in mind; if a person really wants to kill themselves then they WILL kill themselves, the laws against it (assisted suicide and the like) are really just robbing those who plan to go through with it of some final moments with their family and friends - something which might talk them out of it anyway.

I personally find suicide weak, but if someone desired it then they should be allowed to.

Regnes:
You can kill yourself whenever you want, it's your life and nobody has the right to tell you what to do with it.

AAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD...THIS.

If you wanna die, kill yourself.

I think you're a coward and a fool, but feel free to kill yourself.
Just don't go 'durka-durka' and take anyone else out when you do.

I dont think being forty or not has anything to do with it really. I mean, suicide isnt really illegal and if it is you cant really be charged and tried for it. So you can kill yosurself whenever you want, cause really, whats someone going to do after the fact?

As another poster said one should be legally allowed to commit suicide despite the age. If one is bored of life and want to commit suicide to end the boredom then it's their choice. I believe the same thing despite the reason for suicide, including illness. Well, as long as you don't endanger anyone else.

Esotera:

Fair enough. I'm just wondering how people could stand 80 years of that though, although I suppose it could go quite quickly. Would you feel the same if lifespan was hundreds of years?

Time is relative, the older you get, the less long time feels for your brain. By the time you are 200 you would barely remember the days as they passed. There is always a cause to strive for, and if you have the money, you can learn anything you want. You can learn to make more to DO anything you want as well. Time is the greatest limiting factor to many things, if you can do anything without caring how long it takes you, you can do almost anything. And at such an advanced point in medical science, they would probably have some cool ways to get you high as hell without negative health effects.

That said, people should still have the choice, but it is a stupid choice.

What's this 'should be allowed' business? You can kill yourself whenever you want for whichever cocky reason you can come up with at the time. It's not legal or illegal to do so. You can't get a fine for killing yourself, or end up in jail. Suicide does not beget age.

That and, if anything, many are actually being worked harder than before. People are dieing of old age and terminal illness regretting that they worked so much; it's the most common thing they talk about in the last two weeks of life. http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/02/03/almost-everyone-on-their-death-bed-regrets-working-too-much/

40 seems an arbitrary age. Suicide is far more related to a persons mind set and whether they want to continue living, something not determined by age.

Perhaps a person should be allowed to apply for a suicide permit. Their case will be evaluated on the basis of whether they would be leaving children or other family members behind and the impact their death will have on others. If they pass, they will be permitted to be euthanised in a humane and painless manner.

Of course, I'm aware this is a morbid and ridiculous, and that no one in the position to be considering suicide would be prepared to go through a lengthy procedure before they're able to do so. Also, what's to stop people just killing themselves as they do now, it's not like they get in trouble for it. Some people who attempt suicide are kept a close eye on them or put in a mental health ward, but this is to help them get past what it is that is making them feel suicidal in the first place, not as a punishment.

bojackx:

Lazier Than Thou:
Snip

Even if God did exist, I wouldn't class suicide as "spitting in the face of God". You're forced into your life, and if you're not enjoying it, then how is it rude to your creator if you want to end it?
Surely God's in the wrong by preferring you to live in misery rather than achieve the sweet release of death.

mmm... positive vibes.

Regardless of if you want it or not, life is a gift. In my personal beliefs, we did ask for life. Perhaps we were unaware of the consequences of this choice(be careful what you wish for, you might just get it).

I don't know about you, but if I gave someone something as amazing as the gift of life and they destroyed it because they didn't like it, I'd be more than a little insulted.

I vacillate a lot in my image of God and how wrathful or merciful he is(I'm crazy, you understand), but I'd imagine that someone killing their self because they are truly miserable with no way out wouldn't be on the same level as killing someone else. I don't think it's a good thing or an acceptable thing, however. Hope is what you should strive for, even in the blackest of nights.

Blackmagic1515:
Snip

I love your avatar. <3

On topic, if someone wants to end their own life, who am I to stop them? It's tragic, and in most situations there *are* other options, but ultimately...It's that person's life and only they know the complete picture. Who else has any say?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here