Have you ever been pleased someone else got banned?
No, ofcourse not!
1.7% (6)
1.7% (6)
No, but I can understand why someone might.
13.3% (46)
13.3% (46)
Never even occurred to me.
11.3% (39)
11.3% (39)
Yes, but I felt bad about it afterwards.
2.9% (10)
2.9% (10)
Absolutely! Some people just suck.
69.6% (240)
69.6% (240)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Being happy about bans.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hey guys,

So maybe I'm not supposed to post this, but I don't think it contradicts any of the actual rules and I couldn't find it with the Search function (went back to June 2009). Here goes nothing.

Earlier today, I realized somebody had been permanently banned from the Escapist. It was someone I used to occasionally recognize by avatar. I won't say who or why, because I don't want this thread to turn into a hate-thread or flaming and it's not really important. What does matter is that I had started recognizing that avatar, because the posts that accompanied it frequently made me think:"My God, what an a-hole."

Now, I'm not saying that I'm perfect or necessarily better than anyone who's been banned. Hell, I'm only at 0 warnings because I've gotten away with things I probably shouldn't have on two occasions. But I realized I was a little glad that person had been banned. Once I realized that, I felt terrible. Like a bad person.

So I was wondering if this has happened to other people. It doesn't need to be on the Escapist specifically or even a forum.

TL;DR: Have you ever been glad someone got banned and how did you feel about that?

Captcha: "let it be" Even the Captcha is telling me not to post this? Or is it just a Beatles reference?

Sometimes, people have to be banned for a good reason. It's as simple as that. I wouldn't feel bad for being glad that a murderer was sent to prison.

Well, most of the people who post here enough to really make a name for themselves will just come back and make a new account when they are banned, so no, not really.

And even if they didnt, if I really really really dislike someone, I will just add them to my ignore list. So I would likely not even notice they are gone.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Well, most of the people who post here enough to really make a name for themselves will just come back and make a new account when they are banned, so no, not really.

At which point they are caught by the Tech Team for ban jumping.

Xenowolf:
Sometimes, people have to be banned for a good reason. It's as simple as that.

See, this makes perfect sense. I can't think of any way to argue against it. Still, I feel like I shouldn't have been happy somebody else got banned. It's just one of those times where logic and emotion don't go together. Which is actually why I made the thread. I may not have been clear in my OP, but the quandary was whether that contradiction was something other people encountered when someone else gets banned. Knowing/thinking they deserved it and still feeling bad.

Then again, I'm a softie, so maybe the problem is me. Thanks for posting what may be considered the 'obvious, logical response' early on, though.

You shouldn't feel bad about about seeing someone banned if they really are a dick, there have been a number of times on this site when I've been pleased to see that a particularly aggressive or annoying poster has been forced out. Going with what SmashLovesTitanQuest said though, it's not hard to get around a ban with dynamic IP addresses or a proxy and so I suspect there are a number of banned users who have returned under new names, but of course since revealing that would lead to another ban we'll never find out how many or who they are.

A thread with a load of warnings/suspensions/bans is generally hilarious to read because two people tend to get really emotionally involved in the argument. It's also really fun going back to threads that are about a year old & seeing who's been banned for what. But I've got to say that the majority of times I see someone banned, it's indifference. Ocassionally I'll be disappointed they're gone because they made the forum a fun place, and the converse is also true sometimes.

Sometimes I feel bad, if they were known for making immensely entertaining if insane threads. Other times, if they were acting like a jackass, then boot them out the door and move on.

TimeLord:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I always wondered, do you use the traditional ban method or some fancy DNS you-cant-do-shit ban? Because apparently you can jump bans by just restarting your router on a lot of sites. Is the Escapist different?

I have no sympathy to those who get banned especially when that member was pretty much a douche to begin with.
If they did wanted to stay on here than they should had change his/ her attitude when he/ she had gotten the first few warnings.
Ok granted there had been one or two times I was surpised when a member got banned but I simply have not seen his or her ban meter before the proper banned.

I'm not sure I've ever felt "good" as such. Relieved, sometimes, but not happy per se.

Some people make me think "damn, I don't think they deserved that", but recently there was one that left me laughing my ass off when I saw they were banned. They really had it coming. And it is a forum ban, not a death-sentence, so I don't feel that pang of guilt ^.^

Yes. I feel happy. Usually because that person is a major troll and the things they say are usually just to get people upset. So when they go bye bye, I don't feel sorry for them.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

TimeLord:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I always wondered, do you use the traditional ban method or some fancy DNS you-cant-do-shit ban? Because apparently you can jump bans by just restarting your router on a lot of sites. Is the Escapist different?

We usually start with disabling the account's posting privileges. If we find the person trying to ban dodge, then we upgrade the artillery to scorch out their corner of the Internet. A similar technique is used in IRC channels - nick ban, and then up to IP or other forms of network bans if they try to get clever.

There have been a few bans I've really been glad to see happen but a few that I was sad to see come to pass. Those I regret are usually the old, clever and funny members who die the death by a thousand small mod actions. I can understand that the patience of the staff can only be tried so much but I still regret them.

I enjoy a bit of schadenfreude now and then. Besides, some people do deserve it, and I won't weep to see them leave. There are rules in place in the forums, and they must be abided by. There are plenty of chances given before you get banned for good.

Sure, yeah. There have been plenty of times when someone was banned that made me happy. This forum, like all others, has its fair share of annoying asshats.

I am not intimidated by people stating opinions nor am I so insecure that I need anyone's opinion silenced because they disagree with me. A flamboyant debater who gets a little emotional is not something offensive. What is offensive is an otherwise reasonable person who feels that another person must not be heard because they disagree with them.

If someone is banned for insulting me. That is something that would offend me because it means that somewhere a moderator assumes that this person must be silenced for my "safety" As if I am so fragile that I must be protected from words.

Yeah, although not because they've been banned.

It just shuts up the people going "Oh, I wonder if *Insert user name here* will post here." and stops them acting like smug assholes. :)

I've been happy to see a couple of them and didn't feel at all bad about it afterward. People who try to be upsetting to the greatest possible number of other posters (trolls) deserve it.

Here's how hardcore I am - I was happy when I got a 3-day ban from League of Legends! Gave me some time off from the horrid community, ugh.

P.S. It's my unreliable connection that got me banned. Don't get any ideas.

Think the whole ban thing is pointless. Have a alot of love for this place, then they will just make another account. Every once in awhile you get a warning because you got into a pointless argument with some dickhead and you both get in trouble.

Almost always.

For whatever reason, I mostly find the bannings amusing.

Sometimes they can't come quick enough.

I'm not naming names, but I bet you can guess who I'm thinking of.

If they're banned, it's almost always for a good reason. I mean, they're given enough chances with the warn system, so it's not as if they don't know what's on the cards.

I'm fine with people being banned. It keeps things relatively civil around here.

I thought it was pretty hilarious when some guy got banned in a thread I made a little while back.

somtimes its funny...I remember one particular case somone rage-quitted and asked to be banned..and BINGO down came the banhammer

though somtimes I think they didnt deserve it

I guess the strict rules is the price we pay for the place being civil..though somtimes i worry I have to be a little careful...Ive gotten into trouble a number of times I dont even consider myself that antagonistic generally...its usually been over silly things anyway

All the time. Some people just need to GTFO, and I can't wait to see 'em showed the door.

I think finding the right emotion that rests between 'feeling smug' and 'being happy that the community is a better place' should be what I aim for. Yeah he could be an asshole at times, we all are, but he also had some great threads in the past.

There have been a few times where I've seen someone get banned and been happy about it, but those times are few and far between.(and only a few of those were on the escapist)

Kross:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

TimeLord:

We usually start with disabling the account's posting privileges. If we find the person trying to ban dodge, then we upgrade the artillery to scorch out their corner of the Internet. A similar technique is used in IRC channels - nick ban, and then up to IP or other forms of network bans if they try to get clever.

Interesting... I look at questions like this sometimes just out of curiosity. But somehow it seems wholly implausible to ban someone who is determined to ignore it.

Banning an account is easy to get around.
Banning an IP address is more serious, but most IP addresses are dynamically allocated, even if that's measured in weeks now, rather than hours.

And of course, there's more than a few ways of spoofing or otherwise faking an IP address.
I don't know where you can go from an IP ban which wouldn't result in massive amounts of collateral damage though.

If you ban an IP range based on certain criteria, you may well just have disabled access for everyone on a specific ISP.
Or a specific geographic location, depending on how IP addresses are being allocated, how large any given ISP is...

It all... Sounds a little implausible past a certain point.

I've never really celebrated a ban via cake and fireworks, but there have been plenty of times I've seen a post someone was banned for and thought "haha, they definetely deserved a ban for saying that." If the punishment was a ten year stint in prison instead of a ban then I'd feel bad about it, but if a person is, to put it bluntly, being a dick and they get banned from an internet site for that (a ban that is, let's be honest, fairly easy to get around if you don't drawn attention to yourself be being a dick again), yeah I'm happy about that.

I don't feel bad for someone that gets banned. The way I see it the person brought it upon himself/herself because they chose not to follow the forum's Code of Conduct.

I remember being glad when a particular troublemaker was banned over on MTGSalvation... I was completely happy. He was always strongly opinionated (which there is nothing wrong with), but when he disagreed with people he tended to talk down to, and belittle them. I couldn't stand the guy and I had never had a run in with him myself. When he got suspended there was even a thread calling for his return (not really sure why so many liked him) and when he attempted to evade his suspension by posting on a dummy account he was caught and banned.

Was glad he was gone, and don't feel bad about it. If you can't have civil discussion like an adult human being, I have no use for you on a forum.

If someone comes in and begins dumping anywhere and everywhere, am I not supposed to be happy when they get shown the door? I'm not sure why anyone would feel bad for most of the banned.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked