Poll: Do you have any Escapist 'Friends'

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

One interesting thing I occasionally see on the forums is some of the people talking personally to/about other members of the Escapists, like they personally know the member on the forums. I find that interesting, because to me, I just see a whirl of usernames and avatars, I never really recognize or am familiar with any particular person.

So, I thought it would be nice to know how many people here actually do have members of the escapist forums that they recognize or consider to be a friend or acquaintance here.

While we're at it, why don't we introduce ourselves, and get acquainted with eachother. Tell the escapist something about yourself, somethings you love, something you hate, something weird about you, how often you frequent the forums/which escapist forums you mostly use, etc

On my topic about 'friends', I get the captcha 'pipe dream'.. forever alone...

Well I do have one person on the Escapist I consider a friend that I met outside the Escapist, but then I met them on another online forum instead in the first place >__>

Other than that just one or two people I'd consider acquaintances. Don't know them well enough to say anything more really. Seem like nice people, I just don't know them well enough to call them friends or anything.

As for me I love... my computer?
I hate certain discriminatory and/or ignorant attitudes.
Something weird... I wear a jacket more or less every time I go out even though I live in Southern California.
And I frequent the forums daily, though recently school has hampered that a lot. I'll log on, go to the forums, and then not look at them at all because I'm doing hw. Also because I went back to another old haunt a bit more recently for when I was procrastinating from hw. Partially due to a stupid little feud I had with someone I just realized, otherwise I wouldn't have been checking that forum so much...

I have a good number of friends here. People who I've had private conversations with, who I've granted access to a bigger window into my life. Some of the people I've become familiar here with know a good number of things about me and I'd really like to visit a few...

I have a couple of people I vaugley know (you know..as far onlien interactions go)

and I have PM'd with people now and again....and bore them to death with random facts about my life (sorry about that :P)

online interaction is rewarding in that it takes away alot of that awkward stuff around meeting people, I mean its not quite the same as a rela life freind but its still a posative experience

Im more active on here than I would be on somthing liek facebook..here if I say somthing stupid or sound like an ass then I'm still Vault101

Facebook its "me" and people I know in Real life...then I again I havnt got anything to say on Facebook anyway

I have a few people here I consider a friend and more I consider an acquaintance. It's hard to go by for three years without making some friends. There's one I talk to, try and talk to anyway, on a daily basis and others I talk to from time to time. I'd love to meet a few people here in real life, and I know one person I could!

Vault101:

online interaction is rewarding in that it takes away alot of that awkward stuff around meeting people, I mean its not quite the same as a rela life freind but its still a posative experience

Almost all my interaction with the friends I know IRL is online nowadays. In the end I don't see too much difference since I still talk to them. I mean I suppose I can't hang out with them IRL, though I did meet one online friend IRL since we happen to live close, but even if I hung out with people IRL more than I do I'd probably be online even more still.

Im more active on here than I would be on somthing liek facebook..here if I say somthing stupid or sound like an ass then I'm still Vault101

This though, I'm with 100%. Feel so much more laid back not having to care what people I know IRL think of what I say online. People I know online already can figure out what I'm like anyway, nothing to hide there. But people I know only IRL... eh.

TopazFusion:
snip

he's my 1# fan

haha ok kidding, nah we just tend to hold similar veiws I guess

TopazFusion:

Speaking of which . . .

Vault101:
snip

Mortai Gravesend:
snip

I always see you two in the same threads, and usually quoting one another. I'm guessing you guys are well acquainted?

Nope, I see Vault101 around the forum some, but I wouldn't say we're well acquainted. Really the only person I know around here particularly well is Koroviev, who doesn't post much at all.

Vault101:

TopazFusion:
snip

he's my 1# fan

haha ok kidding, nah we just tend to hold similar veiws I guess

Pretty much this.

Unfortunately I have to vote the latter. Then again, because of a busy work schedule I'm not on the forum as much, so I guess that doesn't help ;)

Just a friend I introduced to the Escapist. No one has ever added me as a friend on this site. It probably has to do with my post count, or the frequency in which I post, or maybe I just intimidate people with my avatar.

I'd like to buy a beer and to meet half of the people who post frequently on the forum games in person.

That would be an expensive round the world trip.

Yeah, I have a few. I've met them all at Escapism UK/GAMEfest and a few others just general meet up.

Dr.Susse:
I'd like to buy a beer and to meet half of the people who post frequently on the forum games in person.

That would be an expensive round the world trip.

DRINK! ARSE!! FECK!!!

I mean yes, it would be, most definetly

EDIT: actually meeting people in real life would be...weird

I don't think so.

There are plenty of people who I recognize, whose opinion I appreciate, and with whom I can have an interesting discussion. But nothing I would call a friendship.

I have online "friends" here, but I never really come into contact with them beyond the initial friends request message. Probably due to my lack of involvement.

I met my boyfriend of almost 6 months on here...Just this past weekend, we met in real life for the first time. Best weekend ever.

No, there isn't anyone on here who I would consider a friend. Sure I've interacted with quite a few people on the forum level (as in quotes and such) but rarely via PM (I think the most recent one was someone being pissed off at me) or anything like that, so I would say I more have acquaintances. Its not for lack of interest, I wouldn't mind talking to people, but I feel uncomfortable with initiating communication.

I see us all as a community with common interests. While I don't have any "Friends" as such, here I will share/speak things on my mind that I wouldn't necessarily so do with some newly acquainted chums off of the internet.

You'll know it's my posts because they'll look like the following:

NEarly all of my posts have some kind of fault in them; adn if you can tell waht i tis, you should get a cookie. If I don't tidy up m yposts with several re-reads tehn it would look very much like this paragraph. I am very good at literature, especially grammar and no, I'm not a Grammar Nazi.

Clarification: I type faster than I can actually type (weird, I know), so when I hold "Shift" for capitals, sometimes I hit the second character in a word, too. I also frequently hit characters too early. Example: Three fingers over a, n, d for "and", but I rarely push them in the right order. Same goes for spaces between words; I'll hit the space before the word is even done.

Interesting fact, I'm amazing at videogames (not subject to opinion :D) but I am probably the most moral player you will come across online (I apologise after taking peoples' money in poker, I refuse to spawn-kill, etc), I am pretty darn good at guitar and I own an extremely dated youtube channel which I haven't touched in about 3 years, but is fast approaching the 100k total views mark.

I have one, but haven't spoken to this person since he first added me- Escapist and "friends" feel a bit like Facebook to me: An endless hunt for people to add you, just you can "have them there".

Yeah, I've got a couple. Dectomax is in the Royal Marines, which is something I aspire to do.

I'd say the person I'm most friendly with on the Escapist is Caramel Frappe. Guy knows quite a bit about me at this point.

Captcha: grass up

Am I being encouraged to smoke the small amount of pot I keep? Oh, captcha, you so crazy!

TopazFusion:

The Escapist also functions as a dating site?

The more you know . . .

Well, the My Little Pony group did, anyway. That's specifically where we met.

Yeah I have friends on here who I can have friendly chat with but I haven't met them in real life that is if they lived in the UK.

As for me-
I love going to the cinema.

I hate being disturb by noice coming outside of my room.

I'm weird for always use the fork on my right hand and the knife on my left hand including when I'm in a formal dinner party.

I frequent on the off topic and game section the most but I do comment on the news/ video comments, forum game, abit on the Advice and lurk on role playing (I used to role played but not anymore).

I have a couple...

One of which I trade PMs (amongst other things) with on a regular basis and another I have to perpetually apologise to for never being on skype... >_<

I have a few friends, but they're all just guys I know from the Bethesda forums.

The Escapist community is too large for me to really recognise anyone by avatar/username except for a very select few. By the way, if you have a My Little Pony avatar there goes all chances of me recognising you with the insanse amount of them on this site.

The only person I really recognise here is that person who starts with 'S' who always defends religious points.
And I can't even remember his name without seeing it first.

BabyRaptor:
I met my boyfriend of almost 6 months on here...Just this past weekend, we met in real life for the first time. Best weekend ever.

Wow, congrats!

On Topic.
I have a IRL friend on the escapist but I don't have anyone I only know by username I consider a friend. I have some nice discussions from time to time here but I haven't added anyone as a friend, I think of the people here as a family of sort.
I am open for friendship thou, always love getting new wievs on things and chatting with people.

Friends ?...nope dose not ring a bell maybe because I'm not that active in the forums because...well I like games but I'm also not rich and dowloading them is a tad bit...well in my moral grey area.

Hell,Friends in gen...*cries in corner*...Damn,me perfect looks, making others to blined by me beutie to aproch me in the art of conversation...

Bvenged:
Isnip.

as people have pointed out I also have had issues with typing to fast and not proof reading

my spelling isn't "that" bad truth be told

I recognise a lot of people and there're a fair few I'd talk to regularly. Not friends in a strict sense though.

I consider some people to be my friends in the Escapist.

Some I met in RPs.
Some I met in forum games.
and some meet elsewhere.

Quiet a few.

I would consider some people on the escapist friends, i've talked with them plenty on Skype etc, and they know a lot about me

Don't really talk to anyone but I recognize a few. Standokan is probably the one I notice the most though because he joined the same time as me.

I do, actually. XD A few of them. Have yet to meet all of them in real life but bleh.

And moi? I love animals and I'm deeply passionate about music and literature. I hate all types of discrimination especially racial. But *shrugs* Don't most people? Something weird about me is that I have a phobia of the smell of oranges. I can sit in a room with oranges but as soon as someone starts peeling them I start getting shaky.....Yea I'm weird. And I frequent a hamster forum that my friend owns and Naruto Forums. :P

Its just a blur of names and avatars to me, probably due to my underlying social ineptitude.
I don't usually post in forums and I could never do chatrooms because it just feels like I'm interrupting everyone else's conversations.

About myself: I'm an intelligent 12th grader that's flunking out thanks to a disillusionment with the getting a higher education step of life. And I'm starting to worry that I can't feel emotions. I like most video games, most tv sitcoms, and movies about life because I use them as a form of escapism. I hate people who hold ignorant views and refuse to change them. I am entirely abnormal. I visit these forums everyday and have been for a year and a halfish, yet I have about 50 posts.

There are definitely a few that I would consider friends. I've been her a while and although we've never met, we've spoken to each other on occasion and I value their friendship as much as that of the people I can see in the flesh on a day to day basis. I'm terrible at keeping in contact with people though, so I might not be as good a friend to them as they are to me ;)

I view the Escapist like a school. It's made up of thousands of people, maybe a few hundred you recognize, maybe a few dozen you know the name of, and maybe half a dozen that you spend the entire time with in your social circle doing nothing but fucking with each other.

Usergroups, I tells yah.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked