Michael Bay's take on the Ninja Turles...Oh Boy...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

MASTACHIEFPWN:
We should just take all the Michael Bay films, and push them somewhere else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubePTrs2VJc

Damn it you got me haha.

crepesack :

MASTACHIEFPWN:
We should just take all the Michael Bay films, and push them somewhere else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubePTrs2VJc

Damn it you got me haha.

That would be a terrible idea.

Michael Bay films are fragile, finicky things. The slightest bump and BOOM! They go up like an 18-wheeler full of nitro.

Wow and here I thought the concert and christmas specials along with the 3rd movie were the worst things to ever happen to the franchise.

"MUTANT TURTLE" not alien. I'm not even a huge fan of the series but this change just seems pointless.

kasperbbs:
I used to watch that show on TV as a kid, but i couldn't care less what anyone does with it now. I sense a looot of posters crying over their ruined childhoods, as if all of their memories of the original show will be be erased or replaced with some new movie sharing the same name. And for fucks sake, its a show about, well the title is enough to summ it up, you would have to try really hard to make it even more ridiculous. Sorry, i'm in a bad mood.

Its the principle of the thing. Bay is making an adaptation, the point of which is to build on the success of the previous works. The first thing he had to say about his movie is that he's going to take a shit on the very core of the story. If he didn't want to do the actual TMNT story, why do an adaptation in the first place? He only wants the license because he thinks Ninja Turtle fans are stupid and will see anything that has the turtle name on it. Obviously, he knows nothing of the Coming Out of Our Shells album or the Saban show; but that would require intelligence on his part. He is stupid, egotistical, and a complete ass. That is the real problem.

HardkorSB:
The story was never a strong point when it comes to the Ninja Turtles. They just slapped together a dumb nonsensical plot that would help to sell the toys and made a silly cartoon.

TMNT was actually a parody of all the ridiculously dark comics like Daredevil (what, you don't see it?). That was the reason for the ludicrous story.

FYI: it was a comic book first. The toys came along after the comics were a smash hit. You might want to get your facts straight.

similar.squirrel:
Good thing nobody's forcing adult fans of a childrens' cartoon from the 1980s to watch it, so there's nothing to get angry about. I'm sure that children, for whom it is intended, will enjoy it.

Then why use an existing series at all? The point of using TMNT is to draw fans of the previous shows, movies, games, comics, ect to the movie. Why doesn't Bay just make something original to expose children to his horrible sex jokes?

rcs619:
Will Krang be in it? Krang was pretty awesome =D

He'll probably be degraded to badly executed and racist comic relief.

Hero in a half shell:
Oh lord, I am eternally shamed by this.

If anyone wants me, I shall be in the corner committing seppuku.

Why Michael Bay? Why?!!!

Mind if I join? After we kill Michael Bay, that is?

Fox242:
I was never a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan, but I know that it was a treasured childhood icon to many. That it is why my jaw dropped when I saw this...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/19/michael-bay-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-aliens/?hpt=hp_t2

In short, Bay wants the Turtles to be aliens, not mutated from radiation. He lit the match, now let the rage explode.

Oh and I'm sorry for spelling Turtles wrong in the title. My bad. In a hurry. College paper needs done. Grasp on the English langauge fading....

I'll never understand how people can get so worked up about this stuff.

Transformers was originally cobbled together to sell toys. It's been through worse than soap-opera-scale continuity juggling, and it's always been a blatant commercial for the merchandise. It was a show about talking alien robots that tranform into infinitely-less-useful vehicles.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Say the title to yourself a few times. Take a breath and do it again. Everyone should realize how ridiculous a premise it is for a show. It worked, because it was for kids -- the "real" show that people know, not the original material that's known to about three dozen people in the world. Again, it was a commercial for toys.

If you're going to attach your loyalty to the source material for something, why pick these things? They're just ads for toy lines. They've always been commercials to get kids to beg for toys. Just be glad Bay isn't going after anything with real meat to it, like Biker Mice from Mars.

While I never was a turtles fan (I was a kid of the 90's born in 94) I understand why the turtles were a big deal to many from reviews from famous critics such as Doug Walker and James Rolfe. So I understand how big of a deal this is, it'd be the same as hollywood making a dark and gritty version of pokemon and completely changed it. I know I wouldn't be a happy camper about that. So while I never seen the turtles, I still understand.

scorptatious:
Ok, I was avoiding hopping on the Michael Bay hate bandwagon up to this point. But making the turtles aliens? Seriously? That's ridiculous.

And I just now realized how ridiculous "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" actually sounds. 0-o huh.

Speaking of retconning the turtles, I've always wondered what people thought about Splinter's origin being changed from the original cartoon to the first movie.

Actually, the cartoon is the one that changed Splinter's backstory from the original. The franchise started out as an underground comicbook, and the first movie was basically the first issue of that comic with a few characters and situations from later in the run thrown in for good measure. That's actually why I'm not quite as worried about this movie as most people are: in the comics, the turtles may have mutated from earth turtles, but the ooze was alien in origin. If either Kevin Eastman or Peter Laird really is working on the script, there's a good chance Michael Bay's comment about an alien origin was referring to the ooze, not the turtles themselves.

Edit: In fact, this thread is showing a disturbing lack of knowledge about the comic. The first half of it was awesome and very much not for kids. It didn't really get silly until after they got the offer for the TV show.

Owyn_Merrilin:

scorptatious:
Ok, I was avoiding hopping on the Michael Bay hate bandwagon up to this point. But making the turtles aliens? Seriously? That's ridiculous.

And I just now realized how ridiculous "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" actually sounds. 0-o huh.

Speaking of retconning the turtles, I've always wondered what people thought about Splinter's origin being changed from the original cartoon to the first movie.

Actually, the cartoon is the one that changed Splinter's backstory from the original. The franchise started out as an underground comicbook, and the first movie was basically the first issue of that comic with a few characters and situations from later in the run thrown in for good measure. That's actually why I'm not quite as worried about this movie as most people are: in the comics, the turtles may have mutated from earth turtles, but the ooze was alien in origin. If either Kevin Eastman or Peter Laird really is working on the script, there's a good chance Michael Bay's comment about an alien origin was referring to the ooze, not the turtles themselves.

Edit: In fact, this thread is showing a disturbing lack of knowledge about the comic. The first half of it was awesome and very much not for kids. It didn't really get silly until after they got the offer for the TV show.

Oh yeah, I heard about the comic, but never actually read it. >_>

Dastardly:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Say the title to yourself a few times. Take a breath and do it again. Everyone should realize how ridiculous a premise it is for a show. It worked, because it was for kids -- the "real" show that people know, not the original material that's known to about three dozen people in the world. Again, it was a commercial for toys.

You mean a parody has a ridiculous title? Stop the frickin' presses. That is what TMNT was made to be, regardless of what you think. I don't see what about your post makes Bay's actions okay. He's taking the source material and shitting all over it. Why do an adaptation, if you don't respect the source material? The director of X-men wasn't a fan of the comics, but understood why the fans liked it and respected that. Why shouldn't we be pissed at a director that is a complete asshole?

I can only imagine what he really said when describing this.

Bay: Alright...So what if the turtles...were aliens?!
Assistant: Bay, they're mutants, not aliens...
Bay: NO NO NO. Think about it...they'd be more believable if they were aliens! And we can make it edgey like they're...The last of their kind, their home planet destroyed due to a civil war!
Assistant: ...You just want to make more Transform-
Bay: AND THEY TURN INTO MOTORCYCLES! THE FANS WILL LOVE THIS.
Assistant: ...

Next, he'll do a live-action "Tree of Might."

Azo Galvat:
Next, he'll do a live-action "Tree of Might."

I'd watch that.

Supposing Bay means what he says, and the turtles are from another world can they even be considered turtles at all?

Moar liek Teenage Alien Ninjas that resemble turtles.

Loved the comic, this kinda bums me out.

You know, aliens do play a big part in the TMNT mythoss. Maybe the story will be handled well. I mean, the director does have a good history of being reverent to beloved franchises...

Oh wait.

So yeah, FANBOY RAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked