Renaming Earth, because its a boring name.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

As I sit in my room, listening to the rain and waiting for sleep to take me, I started to think about the universe, and then, more narrowly, about our own little blue marble amongst the stars. Now, I may be alone in this but I think that the name Earth is a fucking boring. If it were left up to me, I would rename it Terra, and instead of being humans, we would be Terrans. Its just more interesting that being from boring old earth, instead, we would be Terrans, with our goliaths and vultures, and mighty Terran empire (or confederacy for those less inclined to Imperialism).

So what you you rename this fine planet of ours?

Terra is older than Earth though. And technically it's still called Terra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

"Terra" is latin, but I prefer ancient greek in general, so for the purpose of this thread I prefer "Gaia."

Umm, isn't the earth already called Terra?

I would call it Smorgleborgle

So we'd be Smorgleborglians.

Edited for niceness, I wasn't trying to be mean, just sounded that way, lol

Holy Terra is the only suitable name for 'Earth.'

The Earth's proper name is Terra, just like The Sun's name is actually Helios.

Regnes:
The Earth's proper name is Terra, just like The Sun's name is actually Helios.

incorrect. it's "sol"

anyway, terra would waork fine for me. just nothing rediculous.

Boris Goodenough:
Terra is older than Earth though. And technically it's still called Terra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

Well, obviously, its the Latin name for earth, however, its fallen mostly out of use these days, and I'd be surprised if you could find many people knew that these days, so it would pretty much be renaming it in the eyes of your average person.

Keith.

Lets name our planet 'Keith'.

Name it Yggdrasil (tree of life)
Interpret it however you want but I just like the spelling of it and how the name rolls off the tongue.

Keoul:
Interpret it however you want but I just like the spelling of it and how the name rolls off the tongue.

Wouldn't it make more sense to name it Midgard?

I think it'd have to be the full Latin, Terra Firma...it has a cool ring to it. And as a species humanity is a cool enough name that we don't need to change it, we could always be called Terrans in galactic slang.

Nouw:
Holy Terra is the only suitable name for 'Earth.'

Heretic! The Imperial Truth does not deal in your religious views!

And anyway, to be "Holy Terra" you'd need the corpse of a omnipotent being sitting on an incredibly complex machine deep in the Himalayan Mountains that holds the horrors of the warp at bay for all time.

Bob.

Anyone who gets my reference wins a lifetime's supply of nothing whatsoever.

OhJohnNo:
Bob.

Titan A.E., I win! I win! I win...nothing

WolfThomas:

OhJohnNo:
Bob.

Titan A.E., I win! I win! I win...nothing

The nothing is all yours.

Well, here in Sweden the alternate name for Earth is "Tellus". Maybe that would work?

I say we call it Rectum.

'Cause it's the biggest shithole in the universe.

I prefer the Latin naming scheme. Come on, Luna is a far more elegant name than Moon. And Holy Terra shall be the bastion of the Astronomicon!

Hmmmmm.... I could get behind this. "Planet Terra". Yeah people will look at me funny but I will look at them funny for not knowing how awesome it sounds.

Captcha: I want control....... I certainly do.

There is only one name for our planet and that name is

Ectoplasmicz:
Keith.

Haha, thanks, best laugh I've had all day. I agree, lets make this happen: Planet Keith.
"Tim, Tim.... terrible name, it implies a weak character, I'm going to call you Keith"

Captcha: heavens to betsy

Logically we'd call this planet Water instead of Earth... there's a lot more of that.

But I do agree with Terra, though Terrans would refer to every animal on the planet not just humans.

Eh, only makes sense to call it Terra if we all learn Latin.

There's no point "renaming" the Earth to a word for Earth in another language. It's already called that by people, just not so much by us.

01-03

Numbers!

"Terra" is of course the right answer. I mean, all the other planets are named after the Roman Gods (except Artemis, but I think that needs renaming to fit... it's just trying to be different for the sake of it using the Greek name!). You see, if we standardize the names of planets in this solar system with Roman mythology, we can use Egyptian mythology for Rigel Kentarus's planets, then keep going on like that!

(Captcha: "Toodle oo" - does this mean you're finally leaving you insipid waste of code?)

Pinkie-Pie-Party:

Ectoplasmicz:
Keith.

Haha, thanks, best laugh I've had all day. I agree, lets make this happen: Planet Keith.

Glad to give a laugh :)

But we need to start a petition, renaming Earth to 'Keith'.

Keoul:

Yggdrasil means "Ygg's {The Terrible One's} Steed."

The Terrible One is one of the epithets of Odin.

Midgard would be the Norse term for our planet, terrestrially, temporally speaking.

I'd prefer Gaia to be honest. The moon needs to be called Luna more commonly too, luna is such a pretty name.

I like Terra also rename the moon Luna

Ectoplasmicz:
Keith.

Uh...
sure, can't think of a reason why not.

OhJohnNo:
Bob.

I see I've been ninja'd here.

Ectoplasmicz:
Keith.

Love it. Simple yet effective.

We should start one of those official government website petitions to get it changed.

Esotera:
I think it'd have to be the full Latin, Terra Firma...it has a cool ring to it. And as a species humanity is a cool enough name that we don't need to change it, we could always be called Terrans in galactic slang.

I wouldn't mind having our race being nicknamed 'Terrans'. I'm currently wondering who came up with 'humanity' as a name, when surely it would make more sense to have some kind of derivation of 'Earth'? (Although that's quite difficult, discounting the obvious - Earthlings).

we already have different names for earth:

Aztec: Coatlicue
Chinese: Hou ji
Danish: Jorden
Dutch: Aarde
Egyptian: Geb
Estonian: Maa
French: Terre
German: Erde
Greek: Gaea
Hebrew: HaOlam
Incan: Pachamama
Italian: Terra
Japanese: Chikyuu
Latin: Terra
Maltese: Dinja
Maori: Papa
Mayan: Bacabs
Norse: Midgard
Norwegian: Jorden
Polish: Ziemia
Portuguese: Terra
Russian: Zemlya
Serbo-Croatian: Zemlja
Slovene: Zemlja
Spanish: Tierra
Sumerian: Enlil
Icelandic: Jör<eth>in

lets go into a different direction. lets call it Spam.

and we call ourselves spamlings!

Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Terra wins!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked